Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Time posted:

Bro was a good format, the last one was boring, this one is one of the best post-arena formats

been saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
BRO was excellent to me, lots of micro and macro synergy, very flexible archetypes (quite feasible to draft monocolor decks e.g.), and it being a non op artifact set was a big feat of the designers imo.

Not very bomby, strong commons, aggressive but not overwhelmingly fast gameplay, very fun.

ONE was definitely too aggressive. You needed to be extremely fast on the board and that limited viable archetypes a lot and made decks and gameplay feel samey. I didn't hate it like many people did but I got bored of it relatively early. MOM already feels much more diverse, it is very bomby tho and relies less on synergy which I'm not the biggest fan of, but I'm having fun!

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

From a casual perspective, BRO felt incredibly thematic. You could go big with the prototype mechs, or go under with soldiers, or build around the reprint artifacts. Although personally, DMU has been the funnest to draft of recent sets.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

they absolutely need to start having these throwback slots in more sets, hopefully it becomes a regular feature of at least draft packs. it adds a lot more to the limited game than "here are the archetypes to aim for, build these and/or wiggle a bomb rare in there somehow too". the commons and uncommons being by and large actually good this time around helps a ton, too.

I love them too, it's a cool way to get neat reprints of older cards. I think once a year is a good sweet spot for being around enough but also not getting stale.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

From a casual perspective, BRO felt incredibly thematic. You could go big with the prototype mechs, or go under with soldiers, or build around the reprint artifacts. Although personally, DMU has been the funnest to draft of recent sets.

Yeah, I'm not a lore guy so I don't really know what was going on, but I loved all the theming and flavour of the boots-on-the-ground guys tangling with big robots.

Top-down sets are cool, but I kind of like the half step they took with Crimson Vow and BRO where even if the set isn't a big send up of a real world thing, they have a driving central theme like "this is the wedding set" or "this is the war set."

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Playing constructed gives you some perspective about your win loss ratio in limited. In limited it can be hard to tell whether you did poorly because of your draft, your play skill, or luck.

But in constructed you can stick with one deck for hundreds of matches. And yet (especially in bo1) your win rate can seem just as arbitrary. Last week I was in a higher ranked tier (like everyone else), winning most games, and the deck always felt competitive. Whilst today it’s loss after loss.

Not sure about Blue Twilight in mono blue. It’s usually not bad, but it’s slow and clunky, and taps you out, when you’re a deck that’s really reliant on counters. And it weakens you in control matchups. I guess in bo1 it’s a meta call.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the lore I made up in my head for bro is "two super nerd brothers bring about armageddon after feuding over who makes the best battle bots"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kalel posted:

that's a shame they sucked but I guess I took a break at the right time. I've really liked mom so far, though that's probably because I've been doing really well lol

my favorite part is that mechanically it feels like WAR. you've got tokens with 1/1 counters, a sizable and noticable bump in power level of commons and uncommons, battles being kind of like planeswalkers and providing tension and decision making in combat... even down to the best common being a blue 2/2 flyer which etb creates a 1/1

Yeah I got this vibe too, incubate is the new amass

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"gain some more life, make some more birds. gain some more life, make some more birds. gain some more life, make some more birds."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpEBpVeEH0&hd=1

I wish they'd just let him use his dumb soundboard though, I'm guessing they don't for "professionalism" reasons or something, but still, I like his soundboard

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

kalel posted:

the lore I made up in my head for bro is "two super nerd brothers bring about armageddon after feuding over who makes the best battle bots"

that's it

the only thing you missed is that BRO takes place entirely in a time-travel flashback with Teferi as the sort of POV character. He went back to the Alpha/Beta/Unlimited/Antiquities Dominaria in order to find anything that could help kill phyrexians. That's where our noble and definitely not incredibly stupid heroes got the idea of using a silex to explode the invasion tree.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

But in constructed you can stick with one deck for hundreds of matches.

Even when I'm just trying to power grind out some quick monored decks I have 2-3 versions I bounce between. My winrate would definitely improve if I stuck with decks more since sometimes I kinda forget what I switched to if they have similar manabases or card overlap, but idk I got rows of decks to mess with and new ones everytime I look around.

There are plenty of mono white and black decks playing fun police out there, but other than that this is pretty much the ideal kinda diversity and experimentation I would hope to see after a new set for standard. Hoping next big set builds onto some of these new archetypes that either need a couple more parts or to see some powerful staples out of the way.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

babypolis posted:

1k SECURED

sadly the deck refused to cooperate on the last match and I lost to a fairly mediocre deck, oh well

deck 1

https://www.17lands.com/deck/027f853d64164d49a1b00fbfb9b3099b/3

a fairly decent UB deck. im playing some lovely creatures to make playables but it had enough value to secure 3 wins

deck 2

https://www.17lands.com/deck/6f3625d98dd5476f966b5110e12492d2/3

this was a more interesting draft. U and B were super heavily cut and I had to go into RW, the worst color combination. But somehow a fairly decent equipment came together and it was good enough to get 3 wins. Ravagan mostly died but it did win a game where it was played on turn 1 on the play. Hazoret didnt do poo poo and he can go gently caress himself

That second draft is a cool draft, taught me some stuff, I wouldn't have noticed the white pivot until the duneshaper pick 10 but you were already speculating for a few picks by then.

I think this is the set where vigilance has been most noticeable to me, from phyrexian's awakening, xerex strobe night, the 3/3 lancer, the backup vigi knight, just is really noticeable when vigi is letting people stay ahead (probably cuz protects battles, duh). Fun set.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

So uh, that new Kami might be ok ? :newlol:

What do you mean "you only played 3 lands ?"

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I thought BRO was really good but I also had a 63% win-rate (that's really, really good for me) so I imagine that colors my opinion of it.

ONE... not so much. My win-rate was positive (barely) but I wouldn't say the same about the matches. I got weird anxiety playing out ONE matches for some reason. It was kind of a flavor miss for me as well. They leaned too hard into Hellraiser territory I think.

MOM is super fun so far. The board states are complicated but I also get to make some galaxy brain plays that make me feel accomplished and good about my play-time. I am also a bit glad to see some optimism creep back into the flavor of it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

kalel posted:

no, bro and one. I missed out since I took a break from the game

BRO was fun ONE sucked rear end but was easy to draft if you wanna win

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

wei posted:

It always takes a couple days, but you should eventually get an e-mail along with the 20 play in points. I'm not sure if you need the marketing/promo e-mails to be enabled.

thanks - for what it's worth, maybe they changed it recently because i just got them as an in-game message instead of an email. the more you know!

anyway this format is probably an all-timer and the only format on arena that compares is WAR, imo

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kalel posted:

The reason for their conflict is even funnier:

The Brothers found a old Powerstone in a cave and it cracked in half. Older brother Urza took the bigger half and said "This is the MIGHTSTONE, you baby brother Mishra have the smaller WEAKSTONE, because you're a loving wimp."

And then they decided to plunge the world into Mech-hell.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I notice they now give out the top 250/1200 qualifier rewards in an in-game mail, and said mail says it is deleted after a few days. Do you actually miss out on your reward is you miss the mail (not logging on/forgetting to check since mail is spammed with pointless announcements every other day)? That would be really dumb but also funny

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I notice they now give out the top 250/1200 qualifier rewards in an in-game mail, and said mail says it is deleted after a few days. Do you actually miss out on your reward is you miss the mail (not logging on/forgetting to check since mail is spammed with pointless announcements every other day)? That would be really dumb but also funny

idk but to follow up on my last post turns out i also did get an email so i imagine you could access it through there if it got deleted in game

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

idk but to follow up on my last post turns out i also did get an email so i imagine you could access it through there if it got deleted in game

I think u gotta have marketing emails turned on for that, I didn’t get them until I did that

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Did a Quick Draft

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d16ef613c4ac4ecfa1b0be438852b7be

Not entirely sure what to think about the deck. Got my rear end handed to me in the first game, then had some quite decisive two victories for a 2-1 at the moment. Of course, two phyrexian anthems and two Norn's Inquisitors as well as the censor are great, but I think my removal is a bit too costly (if good), and apart from the wrath, I lack true bombs.

Would you build this differently, and did I overlook some amazing cards for the deck I ended up with? Also, I feel like I could have gone into UB instead - should I have done that on card quality + archetype performance alone?
In the end, this was a 5-3 deck. The other two losses were against the best (iirc?) archetypes in the format, Knights (just an absurd curveout starting with the Lord) and UB (Invasion of Amonkhet, Hide + Kairi, ripping the draw 2 3U convoke spell on death, then all the removal), which might tell us something. I played two games today where I mulliganed to 6 and then had insane games regardless, one with 8 hasted vigilanced power on turn 4, that was sick! Also won a game screwed on 3 lands. Incubator tokens are really drat good!

I ended up not being impressed by Aetherblade Agent - it's too slow to flip and too easy for a 3/3 to just get traded favorably for the opp, the deathtouch doesn't really matter, they'll just block with a boosted incubator token or whatever. I never got to play with Freewheeler or Invasion of New Capenna, which is a shame.

I did cast Fiora once...which would maybe have allowed me to win the Knights matchup...but they had the Convoke counter + draw. Whoops

Inquisitor is insane. Awakening is really drat good. Having two Perfections is disgusting. Report over!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

dmu was my first set ever drafting, finally dipping my toes in after getting back into magic just before last september via arena 10-15 years since i stopped playing as a teenager, and it was an absolute blast. the follow up sets have been interesting in their own ways but dmu really was the perfect one (for me) to start getting interested in the format

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol my brain is fried. I didn’t realize I had accidentally entered the Explorer queue until Thalia’s Lieutenant hit the board five minutes in, even though half the cards my opponent played weren’t Standard legal.

I would’ve won if not for that Lieutenant too.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Figured I'd toss in my hat in saying MOM is a fun set, but I haven't really gotten to draft it a ton due to real life getting in the way of a lot of my gaming and futzing around with my Let's Play.

I did one Trad Sealed for it (went 1-2), one Trad Draft (went 1-2), and one Premier Draft (went 7-2) in the first few days of the set, but last night finished a second Trad Draft going 3-0 (a flat six wins no losses record) with a Rakdos deck. Draft and gameplay details are here: https://www.17lands.com/draft/617129ee294b43709395ca9042138fb2

As seen on the picture and draft details, this deck really came about thanks to splashing a P1P1 Kenrith, the Returned King. I was blessed enough to see it come up in three of my six games, and it was a crucial player in each one. Being able to return creatures to the battlefield from the graveyard, especially valuable cards like Voldaren Thrillseeker or Tymaret, Chosen from Death, was key as a reanimator. I do wish I had more Furnace Reins since I had so many sacrifice outlets, but I'm not complaining about a relatively easy trophy!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 2, 2023

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I've been getting a weird bug recently

I'll connect to a game, and arena will immediately crash to my desktop. If I reload and try to re enter the game, arena continues to crash immediately upon connecting until that match is over

It was only affecting unranked play until it hit a limited game for me yesterday. This is not every game. Seems random? I reinstalled arena about a week ago, but deleted and reinstalled again yesterday

Anyone else experiencing this

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Squiggly posted:

I've been getting a weird bug recently

I'll connect to a game, and arena will immediately crash to my desktop. If I reload and try to re enter the game, arena continues to crash immediately upon connecting until that match is over

It was only affecting unranked play until it hit a limited game for me yesterday. This is not every game. Seems random? I reinstalled arena about a week ago, but deleted and reinstalled again yesterday

Anyone else experiencing this

Yup, happened to me twice, same exact symptoms.

Edit: sometimes happens in the middle of a game too.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So apparently arena is just giving the top 1200 person play-in points to just anyone. I saw some posts where people in plat and even a guy in bronze was getting them.

also, ONE was super easy to draft. I'm not very good but once you realize that it is just as easy as "pick 8-10 2-drops, 1 combat trick, and avoid blue, don't splash" you can get at least a 55% win rate easy. My favorite deck was always boros, even though it wasn't the best. I really liked the For Mirrodin! equipment, it was kinda like an inverse Living Weapon from NPH. The equipments were worse, but you got to keep the token without the equipment so it was fine. I still would have liked to see something even beginning to approach the power level of batterskull though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Me: I shouldn't overcommit because they might be sandbagging sunfall.

Also me: nah I should't play my entire game around them possibly sandbagging one boardwipe.

Also also me: fuckdammit they were sandbagging sunfall.

Fuckin lmao this is definitely my last one for a couple of weeks, OP 3 had Invasion of Fiora. Christ, two enemy boardwipes in 3 games.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 2, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's always the problem with playing to your outs and making them have it: sometimes, they have it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you shouldn't always be playing around sunfall

you should also be playing around invasion of fiora! [edit: ah, alas,]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

that's always the problem with playing to your outs and making them have it: sometimes, they have it

Oh i absolutely didn't have to commit as hard as I did, I could have left the battles on the table and swung for face more.

kalel posted:

you shouldn't always be playing around sunfall

you should also be playing around invasion of fiora! edit: ah, alas

Evidently :(

Yup 0/3 again. Sad not to be drafting as much any more, it was a good couple of weeks whilst it lasted.

Also gotta love that both boardwipes in the set come with free mechanisms for recovery by the person casting it afterwards.

As did the one last set now that I think about it. Fuckin miserable thing to add to boardwipes from a limited perspective, because even if you peg them having it you're probably screwed either way.

Functionally ending my run at 52.5% winrate which is still a couple of percentage points better than previous, and 3 Premiere trophies which I think is better than any previous set, but can't help but feel a little grouchy at going out on this wet fart of a couple of days. Post rank-reset, as well. It's always that way though with drafts I guess, both on an individual and per-set scale (if you're free to play) - you'll always feel like you got screwed t the end because unless you trophy/go infinite respectively, you always go out on a loss.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 2, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

A triumph - I was having a nice chill game of limited magic, nothing but commons and uncommons, we each had 4 creatures but I had a flyer, so I was chipping in. Then they go Invasion of Fiora, Marchesa, then a turn later Invasion of Karsus to do a one-sided sweep of my re-built board. Then - and i assume this is because i'm in shitter ranks, because I'm not sure this could possibly have been the right call - they use Marchesa's attack ability to blank my last incubator rather than flip Karsus. They drop Polukranos (4 rare/mythics in a row! Cool!), but I'm able to use the Wicked Slumber that's been in my hand all game to tap their blockers and clutch out the win.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

thespaceinvader posted:

Me: I shouldn't overcommit because they might be sandbagging sunfall.

Also me: nah I should't play my entire game around them possibly sandbagging one boardwipe.

Also also me: fuckdammit they were sandbagging sunfall.

Fuckin lmao this is definitely my last one for a couple of weeks, OP 3 had Invasion of Fiora. Christ, two enemy boardwipes in 3 games.

I overextended into a sunfall in draft too, they made an 18/18 incubation token lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They ever do a Pauper draft in Arena?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone got a bright idea on finishing this?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
OUT: Furnace Gremlin, Trailblazing Historian, Wrenn's Resolve, Invasion of Regatha, 1x Hanger Scrounger
IN: Another Assimilate Essence

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never put a gremlin into your deck, all they do is make things malfunction.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The other brew I'm trying to work on post-MOM:

Designed to tempo out opponents, and potentially get under Mono-U before their card filtering puts them over the top. Cryptomancer insulates against B sacrifice effects, including the recent "nontoken" ones. Errant and Giada unlocks the library for virtual card draw on everything besides lands and counterspells. Soft permission in the early game which can be looted away by Ledger Shredder later. Overcharged Amalgam should have enough tokens/cryptomancers to eat to be a hard counter + flier to stuff any last attempts to stabilize. 4 mana is also what Faerie Mastermind needs for its ability.

I mainly started brewing this because I wanted to use the alternate art lol

I am worried I missed the event where it's on offer lol, I don't see it in this week's and the calendar is hard to navigate

Edit: whew
"The second Festival starts right after the first one ends on May 6 and will run until May 10. This time around, however, the name of the game is Historic Brawl. Players will have their favorite legendary creature as a commander to helm a 100-card deck that is restricted to only including cards that include spells of the same color as your commander. The rewards for this event include showcase card styles for Kolga and Yidaro, Errant and Giada, Drana and Linvala, Djeru and Hazoret, and Inga and Eskia. The price for entering this event has not yet been released but is likely to follow the first event’s style of 500 gems or 2,500 gold coins."

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 2, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What’s the story behind Errant’s gun spray thing?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What’s the story behind Errant’s gun spray thing?

She's a graffiti artist.

But I think Giada put some anti-phyrexian Halo into her spray paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Another Quick Draft mostly for gameplay practice and because I got a lot of Gold burning a hole in my pocket.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/f808d5f559f84cb2abf4b28e9909a606

This draft was really weird. I feel like more than most sets, the bots have no idea how to approach this format. Look at this:

None of the signpost uncommons, but especially the Knight Lord, should be going this late. As you can tell from my picks, I was waffling just a little. Starting with green, then the Thallid + Stormclaw Rager double whammy made me think of RakSac (and honestly, I could have forced that and have a deck with Furnace Reigns, Unseal the Necropolis, Final Flourish, Juri, Scion-Blade Berserker etc., but half of Pack 1 and all of Pack 2 were basically blanks for that plan, so...), then white was super open so I had to pivot to that. In the end, the Botanical Brawler and back-to-back-to-back Kamis of Whispered Hope cinched it, putting me into a color combo I don't actually think is very good, but at least it doesn't have the godawful Invasion of Moag:

I think the build is the best I can do with what I have, the red splash is easy and the Thrillseeker is excellent in any deck but phenomenal in this shell. Hoping for some surprisingly explosive turns of double-growing things that then tap on attacking out of nowhere, or saccing a big Kami/Brawler. Won't be surprised if this ends up performing poorly, though; we'll see.