Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
drat ur a millenial with an adult child? did you have kids as teens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I’m my own adult child.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

My wife is 7 years older than I am, and she had her first kid at 18 and her second at 21. (1997 and 2000 on the same day, three years and three hours apart. :v:)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

where are you moving again, Italy?

I had a friend move to Spain and she was telling me about this compassionate and generous program there where they let you move your parents and other family over after you’ve lived there for a while

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Possibly! That would again, be his pride getting in the way of asking for help. To be dumb and 24 again.

or maybe rather than being too proud they dismissed ["ask for money (again)"] as an assumed invalid option due to chronic stressbrain and/or learned helplessness?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

i am harry posted:

I had a friend move to Spain and she was telling me about this compassionate and generous program there where they let you move your parents and other family over after you’ve lived there for a while

Yeah. Italy is much tougher. My wife is going to have to chill in the States for a few months while I get a visa for her as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silentsnack posted:

or maybe rather than being too proud they dismissed ["ask for money (again)"] as an assumed invalid option due to chronic stressbrain and/or learned helplessness?

Also a possibility. Although my SIL is a really prideful guy who wants to do everything himself and HATES asking for help.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i am harry posted:

the EU in general has decent family unification policy if you're able to migrate into the EU legally. in Switzerland there is no legal right to family unification at all, so I had move by myself and then 3 months later fill out a ton of paperwork proving that there was no way we'd ever need social assistance before my spouse could get a residence permit

e:

FlapYoJacks posted:

My wife is going to have to chill in the States for a few months while I get a visa for her as well.

drat they're even worse than Germany

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

the age of w bonds is here

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
oh I thought that said L bond but was lowercase, joke ruined

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I thought you were making a corny "come together" joke or something

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1653130223959810053?t=EAC4T5m845VNZoPTacn8FQ&s=19

🤔

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

cat botherer posted:

I’m my own adult child.

Claim yourself as a dependent on your taxes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Things are going poorly enough politically for Joe that he's allowing Bernie to try to raise wages to create some hype for his campaign.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hootington is a grandpa and he’s Gen Z.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This a reminder that the fight for a $15/hr minimum wage started in 2011.
Adjusted for the fake inflation from the feds, that's $20.13/hr in 2023.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FlapYoJacks posted:

This a reminder that the fight for a $15/hr minimum wage started in 2011.
Adjusted for the fake inflation from the feds, that's $20.13/hr in 2023.

min wage is never getting raised above $7.25 ($2.75* in red states) in our life times

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, it's absolutely hilarious how bad and outdated $15/hour is as a minimum wage target right now. It was a severe undershoot back in 2011 and it's just outright pathetic now.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xaris posted:

min wage is never getting raised above $7.25 ($2.75* in red states) in our life times

Tipped employee rate still $2.33 here in WI.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1653090698466410538?s=20

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

wages need to go up enough that I can pay off my college debt by working at a gas station for a summer or two just like the boomers did and I will accept nothing less

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Matt Levine's newsletter today does a great job breaking down how/why the FDIC essentially paid JP Morgan Chase to acquire First Republic. Obviously the whole system is objectively evil and rigged against everyone not insanely wealthy, but it's helpful to have a pretty orthodox account of what's actually going on.

Matt Levine posted:

Let’s start with some bank accounting. You’ve got a bank, its assets are $100 of loans, and its liabilities are $90 of deposits. Shareholders’ equity (assets minus liabilities) is $10, for a capital ratio (equity divided by assets) of 10%. Pretty normal stuff.

Then the assets go down: The loans were worth $100, but then interest rates went up and now they are only worth $85. This is less than $90, so the bank is insolvent, people panic, depositors get nervous and the bank fails. It is seized by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., which quickly looks for a healthy bank to buy the failed one. Ideally a buyer will take over the entire failed bank, buying $85 worth of loans and assuming $90 worth of deposits; borrowers and depositors will wake up to find that they are now customers of the buyer bank, but everything else is the same.

How much should the buyer pay for this? The simple math is $85 of assets minus $90 of assets equals negative $5: The buyer should pay negative $5, which means something like “the FDIC gives the buyer $5 of cash to take over the failed bank,” though it could be more complicated.

But that simple math is not quite right. If you pay negative $5 to take over a bank with $85 of assets and $90 of liabilities, you effectively get a bank with $90 of assets, $90 of liabilities and $0 of shareholders’ equity. That doesn’t work. The bank, in the first paragraph, in the good times, did not have assets that equaled its liabilities; it had assets that were $10 more than its liabilities. Banks are required — by regulation but also by common sense — to have capital, that is, shareholders’ equity, assets that exceed their liabilities. The buyer bank also has to have assets that exceed its liabilities, to have capital against the assets that it buys. If it is buying $85 of loans, it will want to fund them with no more than, say, $75 of liabilities. If it is assuming $90 of deposits, it will have to pay, like, negative $15 for them, which means something like “the FDIC gives the buyer $15 to take over the failed bank.”

This is a little weird. You could imagine a different scenario. The FDIC seizes the bank and sells its loans to someone — a hedge fund, or a bank I guess — for $85, which is what they are worth. Then the FDIC just hands cash out to all the depositors at the failed bank, a total of $90, which is the amount of deposits. At the end of the day there’s nothing left of the failed bank and the FDIC is out of pocket $5, which is less than $15.

The FDIC mostly doesn’t do this, though, for a couple of reasons. One is that usually banks, even failed banks, have some franchise value: They have relationships and bankers and advisers that allow them to earn money, and the buying bank should want to pay something for that. The value of a bank is not just its financial assets minus its liabilities; its actual business is worth something too. Selling it whole can bring in more moneuy.

Another reason is that this approach is far more disruptive than keeping the bank open: Telling depositors “your bank has vanished but here’s an envelope with your cash” is worse, for general confidence in the banking system, than telling them “oh your bank got bought this weekend but everything is normal.”

Also there is a capital problem for the banking system as a whole: If the FDIC just hands out checks for $90 to all the depositors, they will deposit those checks in other banks, which will then have $90 more of liabilities and will need some more capital as well. Selling the whole failed bank to another bank for $75 will cost the FDIC $15, but it will recapitalize the banking system. The goal is to have banks with ample capital, whose assets are worth much more than their liabilities; the acute problem with a failed bank is that it has negative capital; the solution is for someone to put in more money so that the system as a whole is well capitalized again. Sometimes the FDIC puts in the money.

This morning the FDIC seized First Republic Bank and sold it to JPMorgan Chase & Co. My best guess at First Republic’s balance sheet as of, you know, yesterday would be something like this:
  • Assets: Bonds worth about $30 billion; loans with a face value of about $173 billion but a market value of about $150 billion; cash of about $15 billion; other stuff worth about $9 billion; for a total of about $227 billion at pre-deal accounting values but only $204 billion of actual value.
  • Liabilities: Deposits of about $92 billion, of which $5 billion came from JPMorgan and $25 billion came from a group of other big banks, who put their money into First Republic in March to shore up confidence; the other $62 billion came from normal depositors. About $28 billion of advances from the Federal Home Loan Bank system. About $93 billion of short-term borrowings from the Federal Reserve (discount window and Bank Term Funding Program). Those three liabilities — to depositors, to the FHLB, to the Fed — really need to be paid back, and they add to about $213 billion. First Republic had some other liabilities, including a bit less than $1 billion of subordinated bonds, but let’s ignore those.
  • Equity: The book value of First Republic’s equity yesterday was something like $11 billion, including about $4 billion of preferred stock. [4] The actual value of its equity was negative, though; its total assets of $204 billion, at market value, were less than the $213 billion it owed to depositors, the Fed and the FHLB, never mind its other creditors.

Here is, roughly, how the sale worked:

• Assets: JPMorgan bought all the loans and bonds, marking them at their market value, about $30 billion for the bonds and $150 billion for the loans. It also bought $5 billion of other assets. And it attributed $1 billion to intangible assets, i.e. First Republic’s relationships and business. [5] That’s a total of about $186 billion of asset value. JPMorgan left behind some assets, though, mainly the $15 billion of cash and about $4 billion of other stuff.
  • Liabilities: JPMorgan assumed all of the deposits and FHLB advances, plus another $2 billion of other liabilities, for a total of about $122 billion. (Of that, $5 billion was JPMorgan’s own deposit, which it will cancel.) The subordinated bonds got vaporized: “JPMorgan Chase did not assume First Republic Bank’s corporate debt or preferred stock.” That effectively leaves the shell of First Republic — now effectively owned by the FDIC in receivership — on the hook to pay back the roughly $93 billion it borrowed from the Fed.
  • Payment: JPMorgan will pay the FDIC $10.6 billion in cash now, [7] and another $50 billion in five years. It will pay (presumably low) interest on that $50 billion. [8] So the FDIC will get about $60.6 billion to pay back the Fed, plus the roughly $15 billion of cash and roughly $4 billion of other assets still left over at First Republic, for a total of about $80 billion. First Republic owes the Fed about $93 billion, leaving the FDIC’s insurance fund with a loss of $10 billion or so. “The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund will be about $13 billion,” says the FDIC’s announcement, though “This is an estimate and the final cost will be determined when the FDIC terminates the receivership.”
  • Equity: PMorgan is getting about $186 billion of assets for about $182.6 billion ($122 billion of assumed liabilities, plus $10.6 billion in cash, plus $50 billion borrowed from the FDIC), meaning that it will have about a $3.4 billion equity cushion against these assets.

the newsletter goes on with even more details

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely hilarious how bad and outdated $15/hour is as a minimum wage target right now. It was a severe undershoot back in 2011 and it's just outright pathetic now.

Any business advertising $15/hr should be treated as a pariah, but lol capitalism. Minimum wage should be, no joke, at least $30/hr right now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

holefoods posted:

wages need to go up enough that I can pay off my college debt by working at a gas station for a summer or two just like the boomers did and I will accept nothing less

this is essentially correct

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

holefoods posted:

:haibrow:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

: )

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

holefoods posted:

... I wonder why wages are never raised by Congress and the Fed spikes interest rates the second they go up naturally :nsa:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It won't happen because it is the greatest edging, but lmao if it does happen.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

... I wonder why wages are never raised by Congress and the Fed spikes interest rates the second they go up naturally :nsa:

woah woah woah you're dangerously close to arriving at the same kind of thinking as this horrific post

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey just a gthought but could inflation be caused by all the money these rich assholes keep in accounts that don't circulate through the economy and just accumulate, forcing more currency to be printed?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buy i bonds

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what happened to infinite money

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

FlapYoJacks posted:

Any business advertising $15/hr should be treated as a pariah, but lol capitalism. Minimum wage should be, no joke, at least $30/hr right now.
Yep, that's about right. Minimum wage stopped keeping pace with inflation around 1968.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fits my needs posted:

it will run out on june 1st, cant you read

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fits my needs posted:

#MintTheCoin

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Literally forgoing all of my other expenses for 4 months as a minimum wage worker so I can enjoy a day at the most ✨ magical place on earth ✨

https://twitter.com/TerribleFinance/status/1652117529500831744

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Beached Whale posted:

Literally forgoing all of my other expenses for 4 months as a minimum wage worker so I can enjoy a day at the most ✨ magical place on earth ✨

Lol, sorry kids I’m never taking you here.

We’ll go vacation somewhere else that’s much nicer and more relaxing and costs way less

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Beached Whale posted:

Like the 7th episode of extrapolations focuses on a couple who spends 6 months worth of their spending money for a nice meal and I think its supposed to be shocking but people basically already do this with Disney already so there's nothing surprising to me about it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

doing my stanford first day orientation, there was a slide where it said something about addressing the most pressing issues

so first it's actual good stuff like first heart-lung transplant

but then it's all SV including the shot of receding hairline elon and paypal lol

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Beached Whale posted:

Lol I know it's kids but my partner and I saved for a year to go to universal for a week (neither of us have been on a vacation in our adult lives) and the total cost for 7 days was $700 less; this is including tickets, flights, meals, etc . I can't imagine spending that much in 1 DAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

$800 lightsabers