Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

grack posted:

Unless he gets sent to Siberia first

He's going to Ovechkin's team so he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gonna start telling my boss you can only judge my worth as an employee based on my hand selected good days.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Gonna start telling my boss you can only judge my worth as an employee based on my hand selected good days.

isn't this literally how salary arbitration goes (in professional sports) and why everyone avoids it as much as possible because it's just absolutely ruinous to the relationship for everyone involved?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's not wrong that the playoffs are probably too long to the point where chance/health is a huge component of success

but that's like the best part about that and he's absolutely wrong to want to change that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's not wrong that the playoffs are probably too long to the point where chance/health is a huge component of success

but that's like the best part about that and he's absolutely wrong to want to change that

i dunno, it kinda sucks to have poo poo like what just happened to cogliano where the heat goes up in the playoffs and you can pretty much tell that's the end of someone's career

fighting through injuries is a big part of cup mythology but the players still deserve non-broken bodies so they can be good dads and stuff for the rest of their lives, y'know?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No one cares about that. We don't know him personally. We just wanna see some big truckin' hits

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

i dunno, it kinda sucks to have poo poo like what just happened to cogliano where the heat goes up in the playoffs and you can pretty much tell that's the end of someone's career

fighting through injuries is a big part of cup mythology but the players still deserve non-broken bodies so they can be good dads and stuff for the rest of their lives, y'know?

Oh that's a different thing and I also hate how they call the game entirely differently in the playoffs - that is certified garbage, for sure.
the league does nothing to protect the players and it's baffling to me how far the machismo culture can carry them in the face of the NHLPA no doubt having those broken players saying "hey I got a fractured neck and I wasn't even getting paid, what's the deal guys?"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you missed it in the GDT last night, somebody linked to the Boston’s radio post game stream and:

Dr Zaius posted:

Turned on that radio link and the first thing I hear is a caller blaming "the Swedes, the Swedes are useless" this rules

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is it too late to :lol: Bruins?

I had to work a long and early day so I havnt had a chance to enjoy this yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Never. It's gonna sustain me for much of the summer.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Team of Destiny

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gEsISbe.gifv

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

grack posted:

Unless he gets sent to Siberia first

No, the fields of Ukraine are the current hot destination

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Also saw that the Caps Russian prospect with the mouthful of a name got his KHL contract terminated, so maybe he'll make the jump next year. Miroshnichenko.

They've inked a contract already; apparently he could play for Hershey in the playoffs.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/05/01/washington-capitals-sign-ivan-miroshnichenko-to-three-year-entry-level-contract/

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It was funnier when Tampa was the best team ever because they got swept by the worst non-Atlanta franchise since the Rockies.

Boston losing still loving owns though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It was funnier when Tampa was the best team ever because they got swept by the worst non-Atlanta franchise since the Rockies.

Boston losing still loving owns though.

Columbus was a much more surprising upset. Florida won the President's Trophy last year after all. Boston however is a supremely smug city, much more than Tampa, so it's more enjoyable from a schadenfreude perspective.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think its interesting that other teams fans care about Boston losing more than I do

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Lmao at this Reddit thread that says Sutter never had the flames practice the power play or 3v3 once lol. Btw the flames had 17 OT losses and needed 3 points to make the playoffs

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalgaryFla...nt=2&utm_term=1

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Furnaceface posted:

I’m still smirking and laughing and don’t plan to stop for a while.

ThinkTank posted:

Never. It's gonna sustain me for much of the summer.

:same:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

Lmao at this Reddit thread that says Sutter never had the flames practice the power play or 3v3 once lol. Btw the flames had 17 OT losses and needed 3 points to make the playoffs

Losing in overtime in 20% of your games for a whole season seems insane, is that a record? (e: the record is 18)

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think its interesting that other teams fans care about Boston losing more than I do

LMAO, welcome to leafs country pal.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

sucks when your team's the villain, don't i---wait a minute youve been cheering for boston forever how have you not noticed how utterly and deeply despised your team is yet?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This was when I started to hate Boston.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1161561-nhl-playoffs-2012-bruins-fans-unleash-racial-slurs-in-response-to-loss.amp.html

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

abuse culture. posted:

Lol. LMAO.

Yeah. That explains A LOT. Reminds of the agent who had the “definition of insanity” tweet. Yes, not practicing your 3 on 3 even once and then bitching about it is insane.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

"actually I don't care about this at all," he commented several times in a hockey specific comedy forum he'd posted in regularly for 16 years.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Were all the flames practices closed? How did this not become a thing even by Christmas. At the height of the Canucks PK woes there were seemingly daily tweets from reporters on the most minute of process changes.

Surely at some point a player was asked some softball question “you’ve had success on the pp tonight, have you been practicing that play?”

Seems to dumb to be true, so likely is.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

oh hell yeah

I honestly think Bruce Boudreau has one great season left in him if the right team just gives him a shot...

Honestly, he'd be a great fit for any team that wants to contend another one or two years and is moving off a negative coach. Calgary would work. Washington could, too, even though Lavi's kind of both upbeat and angry depending on the situation. Pittsburgh could but I really doubt they move on from Sullivan.

He'd be a good fit for the Sens with their offensive talent. He could potentially rejuvenate St. Louis but I'm not sure they should be doing it. Seems like the Jets need more of a roster retool rather than a different kind of coach.

Depending on what happens tonight, I think the Rangers will only go for a hard rear end next coach. Probably Q or Babcock or someone similarly insane.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

does sutter farm corn

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like Boudreau but he would be a disaster with the Penguins now. Defensively his teams can only go as far as the talent can carry them, which for the 2023-24 Penguins, woof.

I think the Rangers will hold onto Gallant one more (maybe partial) season and then will hire Sullivan. He and the Penguins will be mutually ready for an amicable divorce after the team probably finishes well out of the playoffs next year.

But with Dolan who knows.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 2, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Word is their farm team the Calgary Wrangler's head coach Mitch Love is the frontrunner which makes sense because they were the best team in the AHL this year. He's also won AHL coach of the year in back to back seasons. I support the move because the NHL needs more hardboiled Victorian detectives tortured by their failure to catch the ripper ten years prior behind the bench.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
just found out Mitch Love is from northern bc and now I like him even more

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

just found out Mitch Love is from northern bc and now I like him even more

Quensel might be the biggest hole I've ever had the displeasure of passing through.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Word is their farm team the Calgary Wrangler's head coach Mitch Love is the frontrunner which makes sense because they were the best team in the AHL this year. He's also won AHL coach of the year in back to back seasons. I support the move because the NHL needs more hardboiled Victorian detectives tortured by their failure to catch the ripper ten years prior behind the bench.

Glad to see Jackie Earle Haley is still getting work

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ThinkTank posted:

That’s the look of a man who just returned from Passchendaele and knows he’ll be going back to the front in a fortnight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

The colour palette of this picture. his mustache, and his expression make this look like someone pulled out the line at a border checkpoint on the way out of a collapsing ex-soviet republic to be asked how terrible things are there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1653154768548921345

unbelievably embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
pretty sure that's a screencap from the Chernobyl miniseries