Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm afraid to ask what the numbers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zachack posted:

I'm afraid to ask what the numbers are.

The Zoom Meeting IDs.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i coordinate closely with someone from a partner organization that refuses to send any meeting requests in the form of an invite. it's explicitly my job to forward their emails as outlook invites due to the number of times meetings have not made it on to necessary attendees calendars

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This same person also uses bold, 14-point, blue comic sans as their default font in Outlook and refers to links as "HTTPS's" when saying it out loud.

A gently caress yea do they print up their emails and store them in a file cabinet

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

This same person also uses bold, 14-point, blue comic sans as their default font in Outlook and refers to links as "HTTPS's" when saying it out loud.
i'm in love

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Staluigi posted:

A gently caress yea do they print up their emails and store them in a file cabinet

I worked for a computer book publisher for awhile long long ago and the head of the expert user division used to have his secretary print out his emails, he would write his response on them and hand them back for her to type in and respond.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Oracle posted:

I worked for a computer book publisher for awhile long long ago and the head of the expert user division used to have his secretary print out his emails, he would write his response on them and hand them back for her to type in and respond.
lmao

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Technology has failed them, and you. Learn to code dig holes.

I worked at a factory that had to sell due to dissolving relations between the owners (all brothers). It got bad, and they were a small private company, and everything had to be inventoried (something to do with a publicly listed buyer).

They were on an entirely paper based system into the 2010s (at least from my perspective on the floor), and from all accounts rushed a transition to a computer based system. Apparently the guy who told them frankly "You don't get there from here" was let go and people willing to shut up and get paid replaced him.

I haven't worked there for years, but judging from what I witnessed before I left I'd bet the evil corporation that bought us is probably still doing mandatory weekend inventory slams several times a year. I once got nicely advised by my boss that I was wasting my time on carefully inventoring parts and scrap. It was basically "you're doing what's supposed to happen. And HERE (before me) isn't, and HERE (after me) isn't. It's a drop in the ocean and a waste of time.

That was my first and last forray into having a "real" job. I dig pretty nice holes now. Sometimes there's roots and you get to chop em with an axe!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon's story just reminded me of this, presented without further commentary

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oracle posted:

job creator

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a guy who finds the concept of an undershirt fundamentally repulsive and disturbing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

didn't pence have a secure facility built so he could make classified telephone calls? seems like he could have used the safe

That was Ryan Zinke during his griftastic tenure as head of the EPA.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

a guy who finds the concept of an undershirt fundamentally repulsive and disturbing

people just need to get comfortable with kind of seeing my nipples when i wear dress shirts

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tesseraction posted:

That was Ryan Zinke during his griftastic tenure as head of the EPA.

has there ever been a comparison to find which trump admin figure managed to do the most grift?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

has there ever been a comparison to find which trump admin figure managed to do the most grift?

all kinda pales in comarison to trump himself who made tens if not hundreds of millions, to say nothing of The Kush getting $2bn from mr bone saw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

people just need to get comfortable with kind of seeing my nipples when i wear dress shirts

Never would have figured Barney Frank to be an SA goon but here we are

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Leon's story just reminded me of this, presented without further commentary

I am morbidly curious if that would actually work...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

it's very fuzzy and faint

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't actually own an electron cannon anymore, but I would suppose that there would be some kind of image you could get out of that set-up. But this is a very, very silly idea to begin with, when keyboards have had a "print screen" button since the dawn of time, and so on.

Also I have known some professors who would insist on printing out all their e-mails because they didn't like reading screens, but the guys (they were invariably people who identified as male) I am thinking of have all retired by now. Smart phones probably made a big difference here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Never would have figured Barney Frank to be an SA goon but here we are

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/149589104168939520

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

I don't actually own an electron cannon anymore, but I would suppose that there would be some kind of image you could get out of that set-up. But this is a very, very silly idea to begin with, when keyboards have had a "print screen" button since the dawn of time, and so on.

Also I have known some professors who would insist on printing out all their e-mails because they didn't like reading screens, but the guys (they were invariably people who identified as male) I am thinking of have all retired by now. Smart phones probably made a big difference here.

The print screen button is the bane of my existence for when I need someone to send me a small screenshot of something. Nobody knows how to use the sniping tool and they just send a massive screenshot of their two monitors that requires 30 seconds of scrolling in email on the phone when I just needed to see two excel cells.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Start sending them Excel sheets with tubgirl, see what happens.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

The print screen button is the bane of my existence for when I need someone to send me a small screenshot of something. Nobody knows how to use the sniping tool and they just send a massive screenshot of their two monitors that requires 30 seconds of scrolling in email on the phone when I just needed to see two excel cells.

you deserve it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Necrobama posted:

you deserve it

Because I use the web version of Outlook? Probably, but I just don't want the app and notifications on my personal phone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh yeah I love that "help I got this error message" *posts three monitor setup so huge Gmail auto-resized it so the text isn't readable*

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

once when i worked with real estate agents, one of them asked me to send through some photos of a house so they could forward them to a client, but insisted i had to convert them all to pdf first because "my computer can't open jpgs"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i grabbed some donuts this morning, and the cold brew they served me is like pure caffeine. i'm loving flying right now

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i grabbed some donuts this morning, and the cold brew they served me is like pure caffeine. i'm loving flying right now
watch out, world!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
guy who reports posts just to say "this post kicks rear end lol"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dos anyone know what kind of government McDonaldland is supposed to be ruled under? They have a "Mayor" McCheese, but McDonaldland surely isn't just a single town without a country?

Also, Ronald doesn't have a title, but it seems pretty obvious that Ronald McDonald must either rule or have founded McDonaldland. Were the Fry Guys and Grimace the native population that Ronald usurped?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It runs on small town dynamics. Ronald's "title" is the fact that the town is named after him. His family has likely has owned all the most productive land in the town for generations and he spends his time watching Fox News all day and ordering the council to convene to talk about BK migrants coming to steal their TVs. They put up with it because the cops love Ronald and the drug court programs they administer keep kids from fleeing the town and forces them to work whatever lovely job they're offered for bare minimum wages, since the council is all landlords and lovely SBOs.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think it's funny that Carl Barks made Scrooge McDuck first as an antagonist but then as a hero figure, and Don Rosa (who was an engineer, which already tells you which way this is going to go!) explicitly made Scrooge a hero figure with a Sordid Past. And Rosa spells it out in one of the stories that Scrooge literally owns nearly all of Duckburg's properties!

Small town dynamics in fictional settings are weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

I think it's funny that Carl Barks made Scrooge McDuck first as an antagonist but then as a hero figure, and Don Rosa (who was an engineer, which already tells you which way this is going to go!) explicitly made Scrooge a hero figure with a Sordid Past. And Rosa spells it out in one of the stories that Scrooge literally owns nearly all of Duckburg's properties!

Small town dynamics in fictional settings are weird.

I has been maybe 30+ years since I was involved in Duck Tales content, but wasn't there a literal wizard who needed money to cast spells and kept trying to rob Scrooge?

Duck Tales was always pretty wild.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

First of all, I am offended that you label it all under Duck Tales, but on the other hand the new show was great so you're forgiven.

The duck slash wizard you are probably thinking of was Magica DeSpell, who wanted to steal Scrooge's first coin (it's a whole deal, never mind) because it would make her able to turn anything into gold. There's a couple of funny comic stories that deal with the ridiculousness of the "Midas touch", too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Epic High Five posted:

It runs on small town dynamics. Ronald's "title" is the fact that the town is named after him. His family has likely has owned all the most productive land in the town for generations and he spends his time watching Fox News all day and ordering the council to convene to talk about BK migrants coming to steal their TVs. They put up with it because the cops love Ronald and the drug court programs they administer keep kids from fleeing the town and forces them to work whatever lovely job they're offered for bare minimum wages, since the council is all landlords and lovely SBOs.

where does the hamburglar fit in all of this? working with the approval of the cops to bring in dipping sauces from the bk cartels, bogeyman created by local sinclair owned broadcaster, or dukes of hazard style freedom fighter?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McDonaldland is clearly a monarchal city-state where Mayor McCheese is delegated authority while Ronald, the Burger Imperator (NOT a king!!), goes about his personal interests.

The hamburgler is merely a criminal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

where does the hamburglar fit in all of this? working with the approval of the cops to bring in dipping sauces from the bk cartels, bogeyman created by local sinclair owned broadcaster, or dukes of hazard style freedom fighter?

The Hamburgler is the child of the chief of police, aware of his own immunity to consequence and who takes delight in ensnaring into his schemes anybody who is not so protected but doesn't understand that they're being manipulated by a probable sociopath. It's why every time you see him he seems to be driving some new car and nobody seems to suspect or notice him despite how obvious he is being.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five is absolutely correct and it is insane to me that there are people who think the Hamburgler is not on Ronald or the Mayor's payroll. Nothing we have seen in the canon indicates that the Hamburgler is so amazingly skilled that he has been evading capture for half a century. If Ronald wanted him dead, then he would have been dead a long time ago.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

do any other fast food dynasties have this kind of lore? is there a burger kingdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Does the Burger King have a Burger Court?