Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nilryna posted:

And "Books of Magic" from Neil Gaiman. Tim Hunter is an English boy with glasses and a lovely life finds out he's a wizard/the chosen one.

Apparently the cultural detritus of the UK causes this kind of character to just show up fairly often. At least, Neil says he doesn't think he was ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently the cultural detritus of the UK causes this kind of character to just show up fairly often. At least, Neil says he doesn't think he was ripped off.

My granddad actually was raised/abused by his grandparents and kept in a cupboard under the stairs. He escaped by taking some proficiency test that awarded him the chance to go to public school (I think I have that right, I always get those mixed up with the US stuff I'm more familiar with). So either it happened enough in life that it became a standard motif in stories or we're owed royalties.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cupboards under stairs are a house feature thats more common in the uk than anywhere else and are also a very small space that a person could theoretically live in so its a pretty common trope in abused orphan stories from british authors in general

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My great grandma's house had a craw space that was pretty loving big behind the stairs like had to get on all 4s and crawl in a little square door like Willy Wonka but after a few feet you could stand. I remember it huge but my parents say it was like a 10ft cube basically. It's where the board games were. She had a sealed copy of wheel of fortune home edition we weren't allowed to play, I bet it got tossed still unopened.

I always imagined that for stair cupboards.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Roko's Basilisk sabotaged the landing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol twitter is extremely broken right now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

Same, but I got back in eventually.

Why

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bruceski posted:

My granddad actually was raised/abused by his grandparents and kept in a cupboard under the stairs. He escaped by taking some proficiency test that awarded him the chance to go to public school (I think I have that right, I always get those mixed up with the US stuff I'm more familiar with). So either it happened enough in life that it became a standard motif in stories or we're owed royalties.

In the UK, Public School is what private schools are in the UK. Where the rich send their son's and/or failsons.

They're Public, in that they're open to anyone willing to pay them enough money.

Edit: presumably the school your grandad went to wanted the rich failsons to at least have smart friends.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

I don't have to explain my fetishes to you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pixaal posted:

I remember it huge but my parents say it was like a 10ft cube basically.

Kid memories are like that. I lived in the same house for ~20 years, most of it 5 feet or taller, but whenever I try to remember the counters and furniture they tower over me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beachcomber posted:

In the UK, Public School is what private schools are in the UK. Where the rich send their son's and/or failsons.

They're Public, in that they're open to anyone willing to pay them enough money.

Edit: presumably the school your grandad went to wanted the rich failsons to at least have smart friends.

Plus, you have to have classmates you can look down on for not being landed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kazil posted:

lol twitter is extremely broken right now

at least seeing the unlogged in timeline has led to me seeing the most shocking news of our time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not confident about the public school bit. The family history is a bit muddy, pieced together from stories told at different times. The bits we've found that were written down are just Family Bible stuff like births marriages and deaths, not the interesting parts of a life. I could be remembering the order of things completely wrong or this is some quirk of mid-1910s UK education that was soon obsolete, I know there were a lot of reforms around that time for mandatory schooling and such.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't have to explain my fetishes to you.

k fair enough, pls continue

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah, there's a whole world of classic British children's books that the Harry Potter series was drawing on. Roald Dahl, The Famous Five, Jennings's School Days, The Worst Witch to name a few. Any direct similarities to other works will likely be due to common tropes of the genres being used.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah, when asked Gaiman said you could go to any mall in England in the 90s and see 15-20 kids that look exactly like Tim/Potter when asked about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Twitter just logged me out and I can't log back in, great job Elom lol

I got back in by going back to the Twitter home page first. Something logged us out and then when you log in it takes you back to the page you were looking at, which has the logout prompt in it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
any of the asides on the whimsical wizard candy on the train etc was straight up charlie and the chocolate factory ripoff

Surprised the candy wasn't made by Ficklegruber and Slugworth

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't log in either.

I think the real magic of the Harry Potter series was in the marketing and movie casting. Right place at the right time.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Yeah I'm logged out too. There were three or four days last week where it just wouldn't load, so I'm getting like 50% uptime at the moment. Maybe worse.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I wonder what dumb feature they were trying to launch that broke everything

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Jake Tapper just said "skeet" on CNN, big news for Bluesky

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Extra Large Marge posted:

I can't log in either.

I think the real magic of the Harry Potter series was in the marketing and movie casting. Right place at the right time.

It was BIG when it was just the few books out. Marketing, yes, but...my grasp of theory is rudimentary, but... could there be something about being escapist fantasy for the End of History era?

Gen X/millennial malaise about steady work and a life in the suburbs being the most you can hope for? What if you're actually special but no one's got around to telling you yet? Also, the US didn't have all the boarding school stuff, it was all brand new.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

smoobles posted:

Let me just alt-tab to the window. Or to the wall.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Those books were huge when I was growing up, long before there was any movie. I remember my mother having A Thing against them because it was witches and wizards and she's that kind of Catholic, but Harry Potter was everywhere by the end of the 90s, and if you were born in that late 80s/early 90s cohort, you were aware of it whether or not you'd read them. I don't remember any "marketing" beyond them being sold at the scholastic book fair and literally every kid talking about it and borrowing the library's only copy.

EDIT: it's just a really basic story, there's nothing groundbreaking in it, it just struck the right chord at the right time, doesn't have to be any bigger than that. JKR got lucky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fyi this is working for me: if twitter logs you out, hit log in, then do NOT enter anything, just x out of the login screen. you should now be logged back in on the same page. i think twitter is incorrectly telling you you're logged out, and when you try to log in it logs you back out first and then gets confused.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Watch Elon say something about the website being in a quantum state of interdependent pre-incalculabilty leading to login coefficients being temporarily in flux

I swear to God his technical word salad he gets when he's high sets my teeth grinding

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Endorph posted:

fyi this is working for me: if twitter logs you out, then do NOT enter anything

i think twitter is incorrect, confused.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Twitter just logged me out and I can't log back in

Sounds like you're better off

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Incredible addictive behavior on this page.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also not incorrect

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I feel like everyone I know still super into Harry Potter is female, a minority, or queer and was at exactly the right formative age where Harry Potter became the perfect teenage allegory for escaping an oppressive society and finding a new place of acceptance.

Which is why it extra sucks that JKR is a racist terf.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Discworld had the better nerd wizard anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like everyone I know still super into Harry Potter is female, a minority, or queer and was at exactly the right formative age where Harry Potter became the perfect teenage allegory for escaping an oppressive society and finding a new place of acceptance.

Which is why it extra sucks that JKR is a racist terf.

For what it's worth, I know a bunch of white male nerds who are quite into it. It's mostly just the age range, where I'm from. But I guess unlike my sister, those guys didn't spent years on fan fiction sites. She was just the worst with regards to that. I couldn't even bother to start the final book, because that felt to exhausting.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So much for the pink pound. We'll buy your poo poo regardless!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Why did they let the kids play Quidditch, I feel like there would be a minimum of two deaths during every game

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
People are so desperate to just have a fun place to shitpost about lunch and cute animals with their friends, but without Elon and the Bluecheck Nazi Patrol, that invites for Bluesky are being sold for hundreds on eBay.

Especially hilarious considering the embarrassment of the $8.- thing that nobody wants to pay. Not to mention that Bluesky is still a bit of a mess because they were entirely not prepared for the ridiculous demand for it apparently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Paying $100 for a bluesky in the back alley just to be able to skeet.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

haljordan posted:

Why did they let the kids play Quidditch, I feel like there would be a minimum of two deaths during every game

The lack of protective equipment makes the game safer. Kinda like how American football is insanely dangerous meanwhile on the other side of the pond no one has ever been injured playing rugby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

smoobles posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1653144577161801734