Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

D-Pad posted:

I'm on board with the brain being a transceiver and I've posted some interesting links along those lines in this thread a couple times but it didn't get much interest.

post it again, thread is ready for brain melt may

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

during organ shutdown the brain floods your system with adrenaline, all kinds of other stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if the brain does a little firework show too, even for the comatose

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

mdemone posted:

during organ shutdown the brain floods your system with adrenaline, all kinds of other stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if the brain does a little firework show too, even for the comatose

How does that explain something like terminal lucidity though, or the reports of nde's where the majority are consistent and structured experiences rather than just a random burst of whatever at the point of death?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I'm on board with the brain being a transceiver and I've posted some interesting links along those lines in this thread a couple times but it didn't get much interest.

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM THE BIG GIANT HEAD

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM THE BIG GIANT HEAD

Mick West posting is forbidden here

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mr_jolly posted:

why a survival mechanism which kicks in at the point of death?

I mean isn't that the whole point?

BTW I do love the idea of a transceiver brain. I remember this is something that came to me as a teen and I don't why but it felt right.

e: to develop a bit more this was in the context of me trying to wrap my head around the notion of inspiration. You know how many artists will tell they don't know where their ideas are coming from, like they were beamed directly to them, like someone used them as a channel. I had the same experience a few times and somehow the idea of a transceiver brain just seemed the most logical to me. Also it might explain a huge lot of the more esoterical and supernatural experiences out there so... I don't know... it just feels like an elegant explanation

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 22:54 on May 1, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yo can someone post a link to the first of the big effort posts on Black Triangles?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mr_jolly posted:

How does that explain something like terminal lucidity though, or the reports of nde's where the majority are consistent and structured experiences rather than just a random burst of whatever at the point of death?

ehh who knows. maybe the same reason we dream about structured experiences; whatever we call the unconscious mind is just freestyling

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I mean isn't that the whole point?

BTW I do love the idea of a transceiver brain. I remember this is something that came to me as a teen and I don't why but it felt right.

Because how would that trait be selectively passed down to the next generation as something useful at the point of breeding if it's only something which kicks in at the point of death?

Edit: if this does then out to be something we've just evolved but continue to pass down, why? It's not of any use to a species to have lucid thoughts just before dying.

mr_jolly has issued a correction as of 22:49 on May 1, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

Black triangles: introduction and first evidence

Obviously not all of the evidence / cases / sightings of black triangles are of the same quality. That is to say, I don't ascribe equal weight or even very much weight in general to any of these individual bits of evidence in isolation, with some exceptions. Most UFO sightings are garbage.

The important thing is, I believe there are a couple of stand-out cases here that are sufficient to establish that there is a phenomenon worth trying to figure out. For me, this started with the Illinois 2000 case. Before Illinois 2000, I had given up on the UFO phenomenon but continued following it for years out of a base interest since childhood. I learned of this case sometime around 2010, then challenged myself to not dismiss it out of hand, but instead to understand it. What does this incident mean for my worldview, what does it mean about UFOs, and is there enough there to challenge my understanding of physics?

The only reason Illinois 2000 should provoke so much equivocation and soul-searching is the one-two combo of it being a "UFO" (taboo) and of some of the apparent capabilities of this object, specifically the rapid accelerations (the rapid acceleration is the most important recurring theme I will come back to in later posts). Without those factors, we could and should just accept these incidents as the expected signature of a new US weapon in testing or deployment. But there are other reasons why that simple explanation seems to fail, and hence my long research into this subject. I will be explaining more about all of this in detail later on.

We take Illinois 2000 as the baseline. We want to understand what it was and the technology involved. It's possible this was an isolated incident, but if we cast a wide enough net we will discover other cases that are suggestive of describing the same basic thing. It is possible these other cases could come together to form a more coherent picture. At least, that's the journey I'm on.

Illinois 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XOw1vITGU

Start here and watch the whole thing, although you can safely ignore the speculation that starts in the last quarter of the video. In my estimation this is the single best UFO case before the Nimitz incident hit the press in 2016. If you are coming from a skeptical mindset, I challenge you to really try to come to terms with this case, to not glibly dismiss it.

David Marler was the regional director of MUFON in the relevant area at the time. He ended up digging more into this case and finding other witnesses that have not come forward publicly. There was at least one other police officer who saw this thing, which extends the timeline a little bit on the latter end. You can find a few more details in his interviews. More about Marler later.

There were other witnesses, too. This is the other video you need to watch on this incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXke2RIR4A4

Clearly, this testimony is anecdotal and lacks the documentation that we have from the other police witnesses. However, if you listen to these people without the culturally-conditioned need to dismiss UFO stuff out of hand, together with the other documentation of this incident, I think you'll agree there is no reason to dismiss this testimony. If one person saw a horse, then we ran into another person that saw a horse, we wouldn't feel pressured to undermine the testimony of the second person. Their testimony has the ring of truth to it and I accept it as basically truthful.

This other video adds a whole other dimension to the Illinois 2000 case.

Here are some observations I tentatively draw about this case:

1. First, the sighting begins with the trucker seeing a "building-like" rectangular object. His description doesn't seem to square with the police officers' testimony about a triangular craft, although we should never expect eyewitnesses to agree 100%. However, the testimony of the second video would explain this as there being two objects in the sky that night. He seems to see the same "floating house" object, separate from the triangle object.
2. The second witness describes the lights of the box-like craft changing in sequence from red to green to blue, before beginning something that appears to signify data transfer, possibly to the triangle object. These are elementary colors specific to the physiology of the human eye and by extension to our history of evolution around our specific star https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model#Physical_principles_for_the_choice_of_red,_green,_and_blue. Hearing about this red-green-blue sequence gave me goosebumps when I first heard it, it suggests human technology. I think it would require special pleading to suggest otherwise.
3. The box and triangle craft appear to communicate at distance, optically, or at least with a secondary optical indicator in the form of lights.
4. It is hard to estimate sizes in these conditions, but witnesses are unified in describing the craft as large.
5. Witnesses also agree that the craft are pretty low to the ground, until the triangle is seen ascending in the later stages of the incident.
6. Slow movement, and flat turns are a recurring observable in this an other cases.
7. The craft is described as silent, or with a low frequency electrical transformer hum.
8. In the first video, at 17:00, the police officer describes some structure to the underside of the craft. This is a recurring theme we will see in other sightings as well. It's also notable because this is the only hint we have about the craft's detailed structure in this case, so it's worth paying attention to.

Now, nothing described in this entire incident is suggestive of anything otherworldly, or of advanced technology, *except* for the rapid acceleration reported by the police officers. Outside the rapid acceleration, this would be very consistent with lighter than air (LTA) craft: blimps, zeppelins, etc.

Now watch the first video again and see where we can find anyone *explicitly seeing* the craft do a rapid acceleration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XOw1vITGU&t=395s
starting at 6:35 the police officer sees the triangle floating, reaches into his car to pick up his radio, and when he looks up 3 seconds later the craft is over Shiloh. He does not directly witness the fast travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XOw1vITGU&t=470s
starting at 7:50 this police officer seems much clearer in explicitly witnessing the fast travel. Although his testimony is not 100% unequivocal, it is suggested that he witnessed this movement with his eyes directly. He reiterates this part of the story at 14:30 and it's again unclear exactly what he saw. Did he see it move, or did he see it first in one place, then in another? He stops just short of saying he saw it streak across the sky.

Other evidence for the rapid movement of the object comes from reconstructing its flight path, under the assumption of a single object.

Can we escape the conclusion of there being rapid acceleration? Well, if we accept the second video witness testimony, we agree that there were at least two craft in the air that night. If there were at least two triangles, perhaps all of these rapid accelerations could be explained by one craft turning off its lights and the other craft turning them on. This might sound like a stretch, but I wouldn't consider such psychological misdirection to be utterly beyond the pale. If you imagine we're dealing with something adversarial , something *trying* to be confusing, as would be the case for some black intelligence asset, it is less surprising. In fact this technique could be extremely valuable in some situations. Depending on your degree of skepticism, this might explain the difficult parts of this testimony.

If the craft exhibited rapid acceleration, it did it silently. These speeds should generate a sonic boom that would have woken up the whole county. Such a rapid acceleration would put absolutely insane stresses on the craft's structure, equivalent to slamming into a mountain at mach 1 or whatever, and it apparently achieved this without falling apart.

Could the craft have been illusory, like the suggestion that the tic-tac was a plasma ball? A plasma ball projection, like the tail of a laser pointer, could exhibit apparent acceleration without breaking anything. However unlike the Nimitz tic-tac, it's hard to explain a dark shape in the night sky as a projection or plasma effect.

So, in my mind, it comes down to this: the evidence for actual rapid acceleration here could be challenged, but that detail is the one thing that jumps out as impossible to explain in normal worldly terms. The craft silently moving slowly, hovering, and flat-turning are at least consistent with LTA technology. How can you take a blimp and rocket it to mach 1, without it smashing flat and generating a sonic boom? Conversely, how can you take a silent supersonic/hypersonic aircraft and make it hover? If it weren't for the rapid acceleration, we would be able to sleep comfortably at night.

Besides the impossibility of accelerating to such a degree without falling apart or generating a sonic boom, we have the added complication of accounting for the forces involved. How would you achieve this with known technology? The Sprint anti-ballistic missile interceptor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile) achieves an acceleration of 100 g, but it does this by burning rocket fuel. The laws of physics can put tight bounds on the energy expenditure needed to move an object of given mass to high speeds in a short time, and then given the size of the object we can put limits on the energy density required, and rule out some possibilities. I think it goes without saying that there is no obvious technology in the white world that we can point to that could achieve this sort of thing silently.

If we still want to cling to the idea that this is black human technology (remember the red-green-blue light sequence), we are faced with some difficult observables to explain. At the most extreme, it suggests someone cracked antigravity technology (see my previous posts on this topic ITT). This has its own problems to say the least, but points to new physics achievable at room temperatures in a building-sized aircraft! Could we explain it without recourse to antigravity? Some combination of LTA craft with exotic propulsion, sonic boom mitigation, nuclear engines, etc.? I might have some speculation on these lines later on. In any case, it is clear we would need to be looking at a massive and unexpected breakthrough in exotic propulsion with no corresponding white world tech. To explain it, we would need to do a lot of legwork. More on this later.

What did they see that night? What was in the air over southern Illinois, and why? Remember, we can't just dismiss this all as crazy talk, deluded witnesses, liars, and hoaxes, if we are serious thinkers. This cries out for explanation. What happened? What was it? Really, what was it?

In my next post, we'll look at some other incidents that seem to connect up to the technology / craft we see in this incident. Perhaps we can tentatively connect them and reveal more of the picture

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the pineal gland is somehow related to the whole transceiver concept, but I’ve seen a lot of credulous Woo surrounding that particular structure, so I’m not sure if there’s anything to it.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
if youve studied neurology at all you know the brain is a piece of poo poo! why even believe it can create consciousness? it cant even describe certain colors to itself sometimes

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Speleothing posted:

Yo can someone post a link to the first of the big effort posts on Black Triangles?

Post #1: introduction and first evidence
Post #2: phoenix lights
Post #3: other major incidents
Post #4: fringe cases, wealth of reports
Post #5: the case against a black project
Post #6: the case for a black project
Post #7: Crank Corner: Edgar Fouche and the "TR-3B"

Rickshaw has issued a correction as of 01:55 on May 2, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mr_jolly posted:

Because how would that trait be selectively passed down to the next generation as something useful at the point of breeding if it's only something which kicks in at the point of death?

The most simple explanation would be that our definition of the "point of death" isn't correct.

There have been so many NDEs experience shared in this thread that its clear that what happens then is something that has an impact on lives too.

mr_jolly posted:

Edit: if this does then out to be something we've just evolved but continue to pass down, why? It's not of any use to a species to have lucid thoughts just before dying.

If your goal is to survive, don't you want to be even more lucid than usual when facing imminent death?

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 22:58 on May 1, 2023

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

tbh put this in the op

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mr_jolly posted:

it's not of any use to a species to be self-aware in the human sense, at all.

as evidence I submit the entirety of human history, and its brief and brutal future.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The brain as receiver and limiter of consciousness is most likely. It's not true that there is a "fireworks shows" and that's expected - it's a reduction in brain activity (metabolism) that engenders a transcendent and often realer-than-real experience.

Psychedelic hallucinogens reduce brain metabolism, rather than increase activity or increase neuronal firing as previously thought. The most powerful psychedelic experiences, high dose LSD and DMT in particular, also contain the hyper-real marker (whereas, lower dose experience hallucinations are more typically acknowledged as such during the visualization). Meditation, obviously, reduces brain metabolism and engenders transcendent experience, up to and including vivid hallucinations. Deep prayer, exposure to the elements, starvation, extreme pain, and of course near death can all engender this type of experience and, too, by the same mechanism of metabolic reduction.

Another example of brain as receiver/limiter can be found in cases of trauma-induced savantism. People suffering brain or spinal injuries and gaining mathematical, linguistic, and musical abilities as a consequence - rather than the impairment we would expect in a physicalist paradigm.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

mr_jolly posted:

Not every trait is a beneficial result of natural selection, sometimes organisms mutate in a way that is neither benefitial or detrimental to passing on your genes, so these evolutionary byproducts just sit there until they mutate into something that impacts reproduction.

This is possibly just the result of one of these junk mutations that gets passed on because it doesn't kill people who have it before they reproduce.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

tbh put this in the op

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The brain as receiver and limiter of consciousness is most likely. It's not true that there is a "fireworks shows" and that's expected - it's a reduction in brain activity (metabolism) that engenders a transcendent and often realer-than-real experience.

Psychedelic hallucinogens reduce brain metabolism, rather than increase activity or increase neuronal firing as previously thought. The most powerful psychedelic experiences, high dose LSD and DMT in particular, also contain the hyper-real marker (whereas, lower dose experience hallucinations are more typically acknowledged as such during the visualization). Meditation, obviously, reduces brain metabolism and engenders transcendent experience, up to and including vivid hallucinations. Deep prayer, exposure to the elements, starvation, extreme pain, and of course near death can all engender this type of experience and, too, by the same mechanism of metabolic reduction.

Another example of brain as receiver/limiter can be found in cases of trauma-induced savantism. People suffering brain or spinal injuries and gaining mathematical, linguistic, and musical abilities as a consequence - rather than the impairment we would expect in a physicalist paradigm.

but this isn't strange from a purely physical perspective, not really. the brain devotes a lot of time to throwing away data to focus your intelligence on the basics like not dying to wolves. a lot of brain metabolism is applying filters to the raw data input to create something useful for survival and hyperreality, savantism, etc. result from disabling part of the brain's "rendering pipeline" to produce an experience that contains more sensory data than normal. that data can be really useful for modern life but would have driven an ape to distraction so it's filtered. i'm not gonna pretend that this explains every strange transcendental experience or savant ability but it does cover most of them in a way that makes sense based on our physical understanding of the brain

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009
dead site ai

Louis Riel has issued a correction as of 23:55 on May 1, 2023

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009
dead site ai

Louis Riel has issued a correction as of 23:55 on May 1, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Jazerus posted:

but this isn't strange from a purely physical perspective, not really. the brain devotes a lot of time to throwing away data to focus your intelligence on the basics like not dying to wolves. a lot of brain metabolism is applying filters to the raw data input to create something useful for survival and hyperreality, savantism, etc. result from disabling part of the brain's "rendering pipeline" to produce an experience that contains more sensory data than normal. that data can be really useful for modern life but would have driven an ape to distraction so it's filtered. i'm not gonna pretend that this explains every strange transcendental experience or savant ability but it does cover most of them in a way that makes sense based on our physical understanding of the brain

You're not wrong. The only thing I can say is that insights gained from these experiences, achieved in various ways, are convergent and consistent. Insights which typically include the reality of God, Oneness of all things (including God), and the survival of consciousness after bodily death (various afterlifes, depends who you ask).

This could also be explained in a physicalist way, and neurologists have claimed to identify the God/Spiritual center of the brain, but I find it still fairly remarkable. Especially as we move into a future where physics abandons local realism, we have to take transcendent consciousness a lot more seriously.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mellon is displeased with Kirkpatrick

https://twitter.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1653172261296144385?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

they should try to catch it with a cargo plane. that’ll make the Chinese pissed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The brain is real. But other stuff is also real. It doesn’t have to be either /or

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

america sitting on crashed ufos for 80 years making no progress due to them being locked away in tiny privatized compartments, oblivious to the current hyperwar raging between russia and china out beyond the belt over control of the resources on saturn's moons

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Rickshaw posted:

Oh man I just checked his videos and he has one about reverse speech. That takes me back to the old Art Bell days, for a while there there was a guy who was Art's show all the time saying that if you reversed someone's speech it revealed the truth of what they thought. He had a whole little cottage industry doing his thing alongside ghost hunters and people like Hoagland.

yeah I remember from a 1995 or 1996 art bell show that some guy said that he knew how UFO's flew and said it was Mercury in a biological hydra vein system, or torsioid I forget. It was something like how our veins work but with mercury pumping fast making crazy magnetic fields and that means FLIGHT!

does this mean if I get surgery to replace all my blood with mercury, I can fly like a UFO?

Im glad art bell let me learn these things as a child, far better than an actual school education.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lue's parallel ecosystem that's all around us is the sky trash ecosystem and people aren't ready because it would shut down air travel as we know if

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the brain is fake

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Quote for my own post history to read for later.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's not fair, the only thing I got from my multiple traumas was depression and memory loss!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
High five trauma-brained buddy. I never got a scan and I can't prove it but I feel fairly confident that my first bout of depression and maybe even lifelong depression was instigated by a concussion I suffered during a football practice. I mean I went from perfectly normal to deeply depressed just about overnight, and the only other possible precipitating event is normal pubescent disenchantment with parental figures. Who knows, cause I also enjoyed a prolonged emotional trauma the following year into the next three and a half. And then more bad stuff happened! Including another significant head trauma which may or may not have worsened the depression I was already experiencing, ahah.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
sad because I'm smart, smart because I'm sad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

sad because I'm sad, sad because I'm sad

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

endocriminologist posted:

tbh put this in the op

done

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nice. there's a lot of info in this thread, and it's always cool to see people catalog it.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

D-Pad posted:

your brain is a transceiver to other brains

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

War and Pieces posted:

your brain is a transceiver to other brains

telepathy would be a horrible curse, just look at how lovely social-media-on-smartphones has made everyone and now imagine u can do that with even fewer barriers

also can you imagine how much it would suck to be able to read minds, just this constant unfiltered stream of garbage from every direction, trying to drive ur commute when the driver of the sedan next to you is having a superhero fantasy and the ford in front of you has like 12 seconds of that song from the lion king stuck in his head

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lue blowing into frame from the left: Get sobered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah fortunately weak, lovely, judgy minds can't do it. I've experienced psychic phenomena but that's not really what I'm talking about here. You can get to a point after prolonged, routine, deep meditation (a point I lost a long time ago and now hope (counterproductively) to regain) of mindfulness where the mind is so quiet that intuition becomes really extreme. At this point you might as well be psychic because you instantly know the moods and troubles of the people around you, you can usually guess pretty simply exactly what they're going to say next. But by the time you're there you're also deeply compassionate, empathetic, and equanimious so you neither judge nor take any of their problems on. Problem fixes itself.