Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

I never understood how the sets look so sleek and glassy and poo poo and yet the cgi renders of the ship in SNW all have that lovely gunmetal grey color. Was that color somehow a couple of cents cheaper at the cgi-paint paint store or something?

The design philosophy of the Discoprise exterior was that it was supposed to be the incarnation of the ship that bridged the gap between the NX-01 and Kirk's Enterprise. So it's still got that burnished steel plate look for now and it will eventually, either on screen or more likely off screen, turn into something looking more like the ship we know as NCC-1701.

Inside it's basically "What if the 60s were today?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have zero trouble imagining the SNW sets as what TOS would have looked like given infinite budget and future production technology.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ehhhh, I feel like TOS deliberately made things quite cramped and crowded, beyond just being constrained by set size. It was a deliberate bit of the space submarine feeling, hundreds of people crammed into a ship. SNW has the opposite feeling, everything is vast and empty.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I'm guessing they thought you were saying DS9 was unwatchable, not VOY
Yep!

Lowen SoDium posted:

So that is on me, sorry.
No worries. I was a jerk about it and I'm sorry too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This might be old news on here, but I just watched it and thought it was pretty dope.

Seeing Morn do a chest bump with the Bolian was unexpected.

Star Trek Pump Up The Volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od1WdSLQwe8

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Trek ships are big enough everyone on board could have their own massive dining halls and gymnasiums if they wanted.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I rewatched TNG's Ethics (the one where Worf gets paralyzed) and while I like the episode it's one of those scripts where you have to just accept that the most obvious solutions don't exist so that the episode can happen because there's this false dilemma at it's core where the only options are 1) let Worf kill himself right now 2) put Worf on suicide watch indefinitely or 3) let this sociopathic quack kill Worf by replacing his spine right now. It feels like the whole episode takes place over maybe 3 or 4 days and no one seems to acknowledge that Worf is in shock and grief and might need time to process and instead is just like "Worf won't try physical therapy so I guess we have to kill him with experimental surgery". Worf spends most of his time alone in a dark room (aka TNG trauma therapy), Riker visits to scold him for wanting to kill himself, Troi visits to scold Worf for being a bad dad and doesn't seem to do any therapy work with him directly, and Crusher visits to give him pt techno bands that he rejects so she gives up and decides she might have to confine him to sickbay. At no point does anyone suggest to Worf that before killing himself maybe he could try physical therapy while they work on perfecting the experimental surgery instead of just bringing him a knife or letting this quack take a whack at his spine immediately. I mean, obviously we've got an hour to wrap this story up but for a story ostensibly about euthanasia it characterizes it as a rash decision and treats Worf's emotions as either valid or invalid and not worth exploring with him.

Also, something that really stood out is how unbothered Picard is about Worf being paralyzed and maybe killing himself. I don't recall Picard and Worf having a scene together, there's a scene with Riker where Picard is like "Will, we might not like it but Worf is a Klingon and Klingon culture says if you're injured you're trash and if you were really Worf's friend you'd help him take out the trash" and his vibe is totally "shore leave on Risa starts in an hour". He has a scene with Crusher where he's like "You should let that doctor that just killed one of your patients replace Worf's spine, it's the only option" and Picard does not seem to give a fuuuuuck, he's looking at his watch and telling everyone to wrap up this Worf situation asap because he is not about to let it ruin his mood. So much so that I looked the episode up on Memory Alpha to see if this episode was filmed right before Patrick Stewart went on vacation because of how much Picard don't care and apparently this episode was the last one filmed before break.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Worf had left a grody floater in the bridge head throughout most of the prior week, so Picard felt he had some upside coming from this turn of events.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
One thing that flits in and out of existing are Stasis Fields. They'd solve so many problems that scripts just need to forget about them, I guess, because 'put them in medical stasis' is the thing I'm always saying when I talk to the TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Also, something that really stood out is how unbothered Picard is about Worf being paralyzed and maybe killing himself. I don't recall Picard and Worf having a scene together, there's a scene with Riker where Picard is like "Will, we might not like it but Worf is a Klingon and Klingon culture says if you're injured you're trash and if you were really Worf's friend you'd help him take out the trash" and his vibe is totally "shore leave on Risa starts in an hour". He has a scene with Crusher where he's like "You should let that doctor that just killed one of your patients replace Worf's spine, it's the only option" and Picard does not seem to give a fuuuuuck, he's looking at his watch and telling everyone to wrap up this Worf situation asap because he is not about to let it ruin his mood. So much so that I looked the episode up on Memory Alpha to see if this episode was filmed right before Patrick Stewart went on vacation because of how much Picard don't care and apparently this episode was the last one filmed before break.

Picard brings that vibe a lot, I was watching Pen Pals and they were having a (really good) discussion about the Prime Directive and Picard's like laying out escalating scenarios to demonstrate why the PD is correct, even while everyone else except Riker and Worf are arguing against him, even hits them with the "aaaah and we were so sure about breaking the prime directive two minutes ago, weren't we?". He even tells Data to cut off transmission but then he hears the girl and she sounds so sad that Picard's like, maybe we can violate little a Prime Directive, as a treat.

I like that LD scene in the stress testing episode where the Klingon patient has like an acute case of needing ritualized suicide.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

no one seems to acknowledge that Worf is in shock and grief and might need time to process

I think everyone actually acknowledges that which is why they're all trying to keep him from killing himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As much as the scenarios literally all being references in that episode bugged me, that one was funny, with Tendi's people pleaser tendencies meaning she's trying to apologise but also do what they want her to do. It does feel a bit like her pirate past should kick in in cases like that though. If there's a criticism of her character, it's that those 2 elements feel like they're totally isolated from each other. Like it's either a 'Tendi is so nice... maybe even TOO nice' episode or a 'Tendi is embarrassed of her past as an Orion stereotype' episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unless her people pleasing stems from her desire to separate people's perception of her from her Orion roots.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

zoux posted:

Picard brings that vibe a lot, I was watching Pen Pals and they were having a (really good) discussion about the Prime Directive and Picard's like laying out escalating scenarios to demonstrate why the PD is correct, even while everyone else except Riker and Worf are arguing against him, even hits them with the "aaaah and we were so sure about breaking the prime directive two minutes ago, weren't we?".

When he does poo poo like that I want to shove him.

CainFortea posted:

I think everyone actually acknowledges that which is why they're all trying to keep him from killing himself.

Well Picard isn't. But also, I disagree and think for the most part the script treats Worf's situation and his feelings as something that needs to be solved now and the only characters that weigh in on the side of Worf not killing himself are Riker and Crusher. I think we can assume that no one actually wants him to kill himself but it's not addressed in the script outside of those characters afaik and if Riker had agreed to bring him the knife the story assumes Worf would have killed himself without anyone intervening.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I choose to believe that Worf asked Riker to help him kill himself because if Worf had asked Picard to do it he would have swung by real quick in sunglasses with a ceremonial dagger in one hand and a suitcase in the other and rattled off the required Klingon phrases, stab stab, bob's your uncle, off to Risa

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There have been a few episodes that took place over the period of months, like when acting ensign Wesley is put in command of a survey team, or when or they discover an alien on a planet and he slowly heals and regains his memory in sick bay. So you could have told that same Worf story over a much longer time period in the episode. Like, Worf tries physical therapy and he doesn't make the kind of progress he wants. He tries counseling with Troi but he's never able to really accept his situation. So he tries again to commit suicide, then the doctor comes in at the end with the Deus ex machina same as in the original episode, and roll credits.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

When he does poo poo like that I want to shove him.

Well Picard isn't. But also, I disagree and think for the most part the script treats Worf's situation and his feelings as something that needs to be solved now and the only characters that weigh in on the side of Worf not killing himself are Riker and Crusher. I think we can assume that no one actually wants him to kill himself but it's not addressed in the script outside of those characters afaik and if Riker had agreed to bring him the knife the story assumes Worf would have killed himself without anyone intervening.

Isn't it Worf who pushes the timeline up? I seem to recall Crusher speaking of years-long extended rehabilitation programs and Worf is *not* down for it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Ronald D. Moore admits he had a hard time writing the script because 1)it's a medical story and 2) Worf would have just killed himself end of story. I think maybe the problem in writing a TNG episode about disability and euthanasia and Worf is that Worf has an unchangeable point of view that anything less than being 100% able bodied is worthy of suicide and is therefore maybe not the right character for exploring the subject. Like it's kinda funny how Worf puts those techno pt bands on and does incredibly well in them and can even stand for an extended period of time on like day 2 but falls over once and is like somebody loving kill me already because that's a very Worf approach to adversity but it doesn't feel like a story about disability and euthanasia.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Isn't it Worf who pushes the timeline up? I seem to recall Crusher speaking of years-long extended rehabilitation programs and Worf is *not* down for it.

He doesn't push the timeline up because the timeline doesn't exist for Worf, she brings him the bands, he tries them once and is immediately done with the idea of trying physical therapy or anything else. The only reason he doesn't die before he can die later in sickbay is because Riker refuses to do the ritual.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This matte painting (matte paintings are incredibly by the way, bring those back, screw CG backgrounds) from BoBW never fails to crack me up:

Hey where'd that colony go, I could swear it was right around here, next to this giant crater 100 storeys deep. Come to think of it I don't remember there being a crater the size of Ohio here before either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So what did they do, assimilate all the colonists and nuke the city. IIRC they say it was "scooped" out right? Or is that from The Neutral Zone?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

So what did they do, assimilate all the colonists and nuke the city. IIRC they say it was "scooped" out right? Or is that from The Neutral Zone?

I think they literally picked up the city and took it away. Like how they do a resection of the Enterprise saucer in Q Who

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They did the same thing they did to the Enterprise-D saucer in Q Who?, only to a whole city: they sucked it up with their cutting beam from orbit and then assimilated all the colonists and converted the colony into raw material.

Fun thing to think about: every person in that colony was actually still technically alive across both parts of Best of Both Worlds and died when the Enterprise blew up the Cube in Earth orbit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Voyager got even stupider with that whole concept, because somehow Starfleet officers from Wolf 359 not only got assimilated but made it all the way back to the Delta Quadrant?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

piratepilates posted:

This matte painting (matte paintings are incredibly by the way, bring those back, screw CG backgrounds) from BoBW never fails to crack me up:

Hey where'd that colony go, I could swear it was right around here, next to this giant crater 100 storeys deep. Come to think of it I don't remember there being a crater the size of Ohio here before either.

Also O’Brien says he’s putting them right in the middle of town, and this is clearly the outskirts.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The_Doctor posted:

Also O’Brien says he’s putting them right in the middle of town, and this is clearly the outskirts.

Not pictured: three identical craters behind and to the sides of the POV os this crater

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

He doesn't push the timeline up because the timeline doesn't exist for Worf, she brings him the bands, he tries them once and is immediately done with the idea of trying physical therapy or anything else. The only reason he doesn't die before he can die later in sickbay is because Riker refuses to do the ritual.
He should think of his kid. No, not Alexander, the random hewmon child he adopted into the House of Mogh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Voyager got even stupider with that whole concept, because somehow Starfleet officers from Wolf 359 not only got assimilated but made it all the way back to the Delta Quadrant?

The Borg have transwarp drive but that also doesn't explain why it took the Borg 3 years to get to Earth. Transwarp is loving dumb.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Voyager was at its absolute dumbest whenever it played around with gotta-go-fast technology. Magical warp stuff should have been 100% off the table.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Voyager was at its absolute dumbest whenever it played around with gotta-go-fast technology. Magical warp stuff should have been 100% off the table.

I don't think they were going to get 70 seasons out of any Star Trek, much less Voyager :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hollismason posted:

The Borg have transwarp drive but that also doesn't explain why it took the Borg 3 years to get to Earth. Transwarp is loving dumb.

They have a transwarp gateway network, not a transwarp drive. They had to send the first ship out there the old fashioned way to seed gateways first.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think transwarp conduits are like Hyperspace lanes in Star Wars. You can go FTL without them, but they are defined lanes of varying speeds and have off and on ramps essentially and are way faster than the conventional FTL drives.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Borg have big centrally generated transwarp conduits that go ridiculously fast, and they also have transwarp coils that can generate a transient conduit around the ship without infrastructure but it's nowhere near as fast but still much faster than regular warp.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

skasion posted:

I think they literally picked up the city and took it away. Like how they do a resection of the Enterprise saucer in Q Who

I like to think the Borg have some sort of giant sieve in the cube where cities get dumped and it’s like panning for gold but for people.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tangentially related: I always liked in the original Dead Space game when they had the reveal of what exactly the “planet cracking” mining was.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

That would mean no Threshold, Equinox, Eye of the Needle, Prime Factors, or Message in a Bottle. All good to great episodes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I pictured transwarp as a space catapult. You go in the gate and it shoots you at crazy speed, but you'd need another gate to get back. No idea if this is correct but that's always the image I had of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was varied a lot in the depiction, but the original description was that it was like a river; once you enter the subspace realm of the conduit (which you can do by signalling the entrance properly as you pass over it, at least with the initial Borg ones we saw), space flows and carries you with it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

jeeves posted:

Tangentially related: I always liked in the original Dead Space game when they had the reveal of what exactly the “planet cracking” mining was.

What was it?

Anything Borg past...Descent, let's say is Wrong. Or whenever it all became green.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

What was it?

Anything Borg past...Descent, let's say is Wrong. Or whenever it all became green.

In Dead Space, a planet cracker starship like the USG Ishimura was just a giant ore-processing refinery that would be parked in orbit around a planet and just literally tear giant United States-sized chunks of the planet out and into space with a super powerful tractor beam to then be busted up into smaller fragments and then shipped elsewhere across EarthGov's domain of influence across the galaxy. It literally cracked planets open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Brethren Moons also cracked planets open and were much cooler.

Dead Space 3 was bausra but i’d sure love a Dead Space 4. 3 ended on quite the cliffhanger.