Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Flintstones takes place in the future not the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

rodbeard posted:

post-postmodern stone age family

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Woolie Wool posted:

post-postmodern stone age family

Re: Media that did not age well: post-postmodern stone age family

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of all the edgy adult adaptations of tired old Hanna-Barbera properties I think the Flintstones was the only remotely good one. And yes that's the 'We participated in a genocide, Barney' comic.

I think because it's really not a major deviation from the source material at all, just treating it in a different way, and recontextualising it as social satire works pretty well in a setting that's already a surreal riff on post-WW2 American cultural norms.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c&pp=ygUgZmxpbnRzdG9uZXMgY2lnYXJldHRlIGNvbW1lcmNpYWw%3D

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of all the edgy adult adaptations of tired old Hanna-Barbera properties I think the Flintstones was the only remotely good one. And yes that's the 'We participated in a genocide, Barney' comic.

I think because it's really not a major deviation from the source material at all, just treating it in a different way, and recontextualising it as social satire works pretty well in a setting that's already a surreal riff on post-WW2 American cultural norms.

Was there an edgy Flintstones adaptation?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There was a comic book that had edgy takes on the Flintstones like instead of the sex cave everybody gets married and raises their own kids, we participated in a genocide Barney, and many others. This is from the same line of reboots that made Snagglepuss gay.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I don't think that's how homosexuality works.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Dastardly and Muttley comic from that line was also pretty neat and a metafictional mindfuck.

Not as good was the one where Wacky Races was turned into a Fury Road ripoff or the Jetsons one where they made the "they all live in the sky because Earth is completely destroyed" theory canon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Scooby Doo one was pretty terrible too

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Ayla: Lizard people must die!
[65 million years later]
Crono: We committed a genocide Robo

Squashy has a new favorite as of 12:49 on May 2, 2023

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Waste of Breath posted:

Another curiosity is "ornery" (pronounced 'ahn-ree' around here) which not only has different pronunciations across the country, but also different meanings. I didn't even realize they were the same word until like HS.

Today I learned that anyone used it to mean anything other than "grumpy/irritable/stubborn"! Like in the "darn kids, get off my lawn!" sense. Also like a person or animal refusing to do something reasonably expected like the kid stubbornly refusing to eat their vegetables or a pack animal that's decided they're not taking one more step.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

credburn posted:

Was there an edgy Flintstones adaptation?

Seth MacFarlane was going to reboot the show at one time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mister Kingdom posted:

Seth MacFarlane was going to reboot the show at one time.

Thank Christ he Yabba Dabba Didn't

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I don't know the deep Flintstones comic book universe lore I just googled the genocide thing, is there any context that explains what the gently caress he's talking about, or is it literally just that what line?

Who got genocided here?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

taiyoko posted:

Today I learned that anyone used it to mean anything other than "grumpy/irritable/stubborn"! Like in the "darn kids, get off my lawn!" sense. Also like a person or animal refusing to do something reasonably expected like the kid stubbornly refusing to eat their vegetables or a pack animal that's decided they're not taking one more step.

...what the heck else does it mean? I only know it as that, and so does Google.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BrainDance posted:

I don't know the deep Flintstones comic book universe lore I just googled the genocide thing, is there any context that explains what the gently caress he's talking about, or is it literally just that what line?

Who got genocided here?

I think it was the super strong slightly divergent human subspecies that Bam-Bam belongs to? Hence Barney adopting him to partially atone for his complicity in their mass extermination. Idk the mayor of Bedrock at the time was basically one of those murderous Frank Frazetta cavemen, everyone got caught up in the patriotic fervor.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

BrainDance posted:

Who got genocided here?

The Tree People, who lived in the forest rather than in caves. It's a fairly major part of the plot.

I liked the comic, fwiw.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I never got what the point of those comics was. Like, I'd read online how meaningful a comic about gay Snagglepuss is, and how it shows something meaningful about American society etc. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and apperently it's about Stonewall and includes an emotional scene where closeted cartoon dog Quick Draw McGraw beats up Huckleberry Hound during the Riots.

Meanwhile, I'm just left wondering why you would take what seems like a super meaningful story and then insist to tell it with a loving cartoon cat. It feels super cynical, like I wouldn't understand it if they didn't explain it through the medium of Fred Flinstone. Like the very definition of the term manchild.

Like, learning that Rosie the Robot is operated by the subconscious mind of George Jetson's dead mother gives me zero new meaningful insight about the original characters. Who gives a poo poo? Is this the publishing equivalent of a Robot Chicken sketch? Because those have the good sense to end after a few minutes at most.

Again, I feel like I'm missing something here. Is it as cynical as it sounds on paper?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I never got what the point of those comics was. Like, I'd read online how meaningful a comic about gay Snagglepuss is, and how it shows something meaningful about American society etc. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and apperently it's about Stonewall and includes an emotional scene where closeted cartoon dog Quick Draw McGraw beats up Huckleberry Hound during the Riots.

Meanwhile, I'm just left wondering why you would take what seems like a super meaningful story and then insist to tell it with a loving cartoon cat. It feels super cynical, like I wouldn't understand it if they didn't explain it through the medium of Fred Flinstone. Like the very definition of the term manchild.

Like, learning that Rosie the Robot is operated by the subconscious mind of George Jetson's dead mother gives me zero new meaningful insight about the original characters. Who gives a poo poo? Is this the publishing equivalent of a Robot Chicken sketch? Because those have the good sense to end after a few minutes at most.

Again, I feel like I'm missing something here. Is it as cynical as it sounds on paper?

mark russell loving sucks and no you're pretty much right on the money

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

There was a comic book that had edgy takes on the Flintstones like instead of the sex cave everybody gets married and raises their own kids

That part where one of the anti-monogamy protesters had a "God Hates Dads" placard was pretty funny. :v:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

rodbeard posted:

God drat you all, you yabba dabba blew it all to hell.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The Flintstones comic works because it's still doing what the original Flintstones did: satirising contemporary America. It's doing so with more teeth, because that's what we expect from satire now and because it's not required to please advertisers on primetime American television.

Whether you find the jokes funny is, as always, a matter of personal taste.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

They were only a couple of issues long each.

The point is there's an inherent novelty to taking extremely throwaway old HB cartoon properties and fitting in 'meaningful' or 'dramatic' stories in them. Fred talking about genocide or Snagglepuss testifying before the HUAC as an openly gay playwright is absurd. Wacky Races but Mad Max death race is ridiculous. Dick Dastardly having a crisis of identity as he gets infected by a weird cartoon virus that turns him from a normal person into a cartoon character is silly. It's literally all just dumb fanfiction.

Or tl;dr, it's fun OP.

quote:

Meanwhile, I'm just left wondering why you would take what seems like a super meaningful story and then insist to tell it with a loving cartoon cat.

also man does this sentence just have extreme boomer energy to it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the snagglepuss comic is like a parody of a straight guy trying to tell a very meaningful and sincere gay tragedy but that's the part we're actually supposed to take seriously

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

credburn posted:

Did anyone else think the Flintstones Vitamins jingle went

"We're growing strong... and growing."

?

Flintstones are Shaka Zulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyddypaHtk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Flintstones comic actually had points in mixing up the OG show's post-WW2 setting with cartoonish and modern ideas of prehistoric humanity, highlighting the arbitrariness of social norms as we know them and their development, like with monogamy being a recent thing and all. That Bedrock is built on genocide is literally just colonialism.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I mean, is it more or less cynical than its source material, where they just recycled Honeymooners scripts and had a bunch of cigarette ads?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You could always just read it. It's not hard to find, and not very long.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah like I hated the PR circus trying to prop up that run of comics as instant landmarks or cult classics...

... but they're also short experiments taking advantage of one of the most niche and disposable corners of IP management to do something. It didn't work, and everyone moved on. After a point kicking the poo poo out of them for the sin of "trying" is some troglodyte nonsense.

Alaois posted:

the snagglepuss comic is like a parody of a straight guy trying to tell a very meaningful and sincere gay tragedy but that's the part we're actually supposed to take seriously
The boy's club doesn't let people with actual different perspectives write and I know you know this.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could always just read it. It's not hard to find, and not very long.

Eh, gently caress it, might as well. Got a lot of traveltime coming up soon anyways, and I can't really offer any meaningful opinion of it until then. Also didn't know there was one about Dick Dastardly, and that concept sounds pretty funny.

In case the original post came of as mean-spirited: this is just me trying to explain why I don't get the appeal. If you read it and liked it, that's probably your gain and my loss because you got something out of it and I haven't tried it yet.

And whoever set that not wanting to read about Stonewall through a cartoon cat: it's not an insulted boomer take ("How dare they!") and more of a general feeling of "what does this random franchise add?" And I can't really put that sentiment into arguments because it's a gut feeling. The closest I've come to defining it is that it feels like encountering deranged fanfiction.

On the other hand, I think Watchmen would have probably still be really good if Moore had gotten the rights to use the Question, the Atom etc. So what's the difference? I have no idea, I think it's putting trust in the author that they know what they're doing because it requires a really deft hand. And those Hannah-Barbera comics never sparked that trust, so maybe that's why I always just saw it as not for me.

EDIT:

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah like I hated the PR circus trying to prop up that run of comics as instant landmarks or cult classics...

... but they're also short experiments taking advantage of one of the most niche and disposable corners of IP management to do something. It didn't work, and everyone moved on. After a point kicking the poo poo out of them for the sin of "trying" is some troglodyte nonsense.

The boy's club doesn't let people with actual different perspectives write and I know you know this.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for to explain things! I get the sentiment better now, and your comment about the Boys Club also hits the nail on the head for me.

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 15:16 on May 2, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

And whoever set that not wanting to read about Stonewall through a cartoon cat: it's not an insulted boomer take ("How dare they!") and more of a general feeling of "what does this random franchise add?" And I can't really put that sentiment into arguments because it's a gut feeling. The closest I've come to defining it is that it feels like encountering deranged fanfiction.

Yeah I don’t think anyone would come at something like Maus for exploring serious issues through the lens of an anthropomorphized animal. It’s that it’s specifically an existing children’s cartoon. It feels like when people try to pitch dark and gritty Pokemon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like I outright said the Flintstones one is probably the only one of that series worth reading.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Eh, gently caress it, might as well. Got a lot of traveltime coming up soon anyways, and I can't really offer any meaningful opinion of it until then. Also didn't know there was one about Dick Dastardly, and that concept sounds pretty funny.

In case the original post came of as mean-spirited: this is just me trying to explain why I don't get the appeal. If you read it and liked it, that's probably your gain and my loss because you got something out of it and I haven't tried it yet.

On the other hand, I think Watchmen would have probably still be really good if Moore had gotten the rights to use the Question, the Atom etc. So what's the difference? I have no idea, I think it's putting trust in the author that they know what they're doing because it requires a really deft hand. And those Hannah-Barbera comics never sparked that trust, so maybe that's why I always just saw it as not for me.

That's fair. I'll cop that I probably came at that a little harder than I should have because I definitely do see it pop up as honest criticism for a lot of stuff, Maus included.

I think the only thing I'll add is you might be taking the comics too seriously. They're not incorporating the real world stuff to try and make any kind of serious point or actually tell a meaningful story, it's more just as like... absurdity.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I don’t think anyone would come at something like Maus for exploring serious issues through the lens of an anthropomorphized animal. It’s that it’s specifically an existing children’s cartoon. It feels like when people try to pitch dark and gritty Pokemon.

Like actually as a great example, they're on the same sort of level as like Detective Pikachu. It's taking a fictional and fantastical concept and nudging in enough real world ideas to create intrigue, by the inherent contrast between the original concept and the new one.

It's edgy, but it's interesting to try to incorporate themes of like, underground illegal Pokemon fights. Actual murder mysteries. Protagonist characters that are 'losers' who never engaged in the main conceit of the setting (e.g. becoming a Pokemon trainer or just catching/adopting/whatever a Pokemon at all).

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t have to much to add to this conversation but I did get mildly scarred as a kid by picking up a Krazy kat novel that was about the cartoon characters getting involved in the adult film industry. I ended up sneaking it out of the house and throwing it away.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sobatchja Morda posted:

To add to what the others said, it's also to take these popular 60s characters who were bright and funny and look at what they'd be now given what we know about the history of the 60s. Obviously as kids you like the jokes and bright colors but as you grow up, contextualizing what's going on the background of society is interesting. Now, you have to be a good writer to pull it off well.

It's why Leave it to Beaver or Andy Griffith show are both iconic of the time but are parodied forever. They are so earnest about enforcing domestic home bliss and the superioty of small town life, they are naïve about what's going on around them.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The only good recycling of Hanna Barbera characters is Jellystone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What about Harvey Birdman or SGCTC?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And Venture Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've heard some of the Scooby-Doo reboots were actually fairly good. Just not the last one.