Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TheCenturion posted:

Europe, prior to the convention of the white tower.

I'm trying to think of a polite way to say this, but there isn't one: you have no idea what you're talking about.

(The concept of paradigm didn't hadn't even been formulated during that period.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Being maximally generous here, it might well be true that the Order of Hermes, various pagan cults, the Awakened members of the Catholic church, etc, all attempted to enforce their paradigms on the people of the precapitalist world with varying success. That's why the Order of Reason was a genuinely progressive force whose defeat of various mysticists and delivery of science to the masses should be celebrated.

But the wheel doesn't stop turning. Just like it was historically necessary for the Order to take over, it's necessary, in turn, for the Technocracy to be destroyed. The Council of Nine isn't and can't be the same as the original priests and wizards who joined it, and it literally can't win without reckoning with and resolving the initial weaknesses and inequities that allowed the Technocrats to seize power.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

But the wheel doesn't stop turning. Just like it was historically necessary for the Order to take over, it's necessary, in turn, for the Technocracy to be destroyed. The Council of Nine isn't and can't be the same as the original priests and wizards who joined it, and it literally can't win without reckoning with and resolving the initial weaknesses and inequities that allowed the Technocrats to seize power.

That's why we have Disparate Alliance, the NEW group of wildly different mage groups that kind of have the same problems as the Traditions but they get to be :smugdog: they're not the Traditions.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm trying to think of a polite way to say this, but there isn't one: you have no idea what you're talking about.

(The concept of paradigm didn't hadn't even been formulated during that period.)

So? No, they didn't call it paradigm. Nor do modern mages. That's a gameplay concept for the players.

Call it heretical thought, call it blasphemy, call it strange foreign ways, call it a competing paradigm, who cares?

Ferrinus posted:

Being maximally generous here, it might well be true that the Order of Hermes, various pagan cults, the Awakened members of the Catholic church, etc, all attempted to enforce their paradigms on the people of the precapitalist world with varying success. That's why the Order of Reason was a genuinely progressive force whose defeat of various mysticists and delivery of science to the masses should be celebrated.

Yes, exactly. The oppressor is cast down by the oppressed, and becomes, in turn, the oppressor. The Council isn't the same group, but should they come into power, they would have the same issues. Because they're all human.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TheCenturion posted:

So? No, they didn't call it paradigm. Nor do modern mages. That's a gameplay concept for the players.

Call it heretical thought, call it blasphemy, call it strange foreign ways, call it a competing paradigm, who cares?

You don't get it. They didn't have the concept that what other people about how the world worked could affect them at all. They didn't care.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Rand Brittain posted:

You don't get it. They didn't have the concept that what other people about how the world worked could affect them at all. They didn't care.

Ok, buddy, we're clearly just talking past each other here. I've made my point, you've made yours, lets move on.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

TheCenturion posted:

Yes, exactly. The oppressor is cast down by the oppressed, and becomes, in turn, the oppressor. The Council isn't the same group, but should they come into power, they would have the same issues. Because they're all human.

Ehhh - they might have an issue, but that's not the same as having the same issue. Whatever difficulties an ascendant Council might have would be new ones relating to the difficulties relating to universal or even just common awakening/ascension. These might be resolvable within the context of Tradition dominance or they might require yet another revolutionary rupture but that's for the mages of the future to determine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

Ehhh - they might have an issue, but that's not the same as having the same issue. Whatever difficulties an ascendant Council might have would be new ones relating to the difficulties relating to universal or even just common awakening/ascension. These might be resolvable within the context of Tradition dominance or they might require yet another revolutionary rupture but that's for the mages of the future to determine.
Hold on, buddy, are you saying that we're not the literal fulcrum of history, the axis around which past and future revolve, the critical point on which everything rests? That total ascension might be some jackasses in eight hundred years?

To be honest, that would actually be a pretty good late-stage mindfuck for PCs in a Mage game. Or a Werewolf game. (I think vampires will be "oh, Gehenna's in like eight hundred years? That's really awesome, let me go start a blood cult for the next 250 years.")

e: "We have no records of your existence, starting... about eight months ago. There's a gap in what we know, about a hundred and thirty years wide. But rest assured, my friends: Thanks to your destruction of that facility, and that album going gold, there will be something on the other side."

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

Hold on, buddy, are you saying that we're not the literal fulcrum of history, the axis around which past and future revolve, the critical point on which everything rests? That total ascension might be some jackasses in eight hundred years?

To be honest, that would actually be a pretty good late-stage mindfuck for PCs in a Mage game. Or a Werewolf game. (I think vampires will be "oh, Gehenna's in like eight hundred years? That's really awesome, let me go start a blood cult for the next 250 years.")

e: "We have no records of your existence, starting... about eight months ago. There's a gap in what we know, about a hundred and thirty years wide. But rest assured, my friends: Thanks to your destruction of that facility, and that album going gold, there will be something on the other side."

I've heard it put that the ultimate fall of capitalism should actually be thought of as the start of history. Like, at last, we're done with that bullshit and can roll up our sleeves and tackle real problems as might concern serious, practical adults.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pre-Tradition mystics were of their cultures, not on top of them. Often as thr court wizards. So definitely enforcers of the status quo but not secret masters of it.

The Order of Reason changed everything. And in this way they got the now-Traditions to realize their was more than they imagined and that the world could be changed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

Although also, even if it is, whose fault is that?

Oops, the value form turns out to be the perfect vehicle with which to poison and eliminate all life! Well, time to keep organizing the sum total of human effort around it. Nothin' anyone coulda done different.

Does fault matter? Does it really matter who poo poo the bed? The bed still has poo poo in it, so if you want to sleep their, you need to clean up the poo poo first.

Did Capitalistic Technocraticism allow Pentex to be as it is? Fine, it did. But that still means that a massive Fortune 3 company is being run by Nephandi who have an advancing in progress plan to warp/destroy the planet.

The Technocracy has a clear interest in destroying Pentex because demon slave pollution mutants aren't going to have any use for or interest in capitalism or the current First World socioeconomic systems. They just need to be made aware of that fact in terms that they can accept and believe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Everyone posted:

Does fault matter? Does it really matter who poo poo the bed? The bed still has poo poo in it, so if you want to sleep their, you need to clean up the poo poo first.

Did Capitalistic Technocraticism allow Pentex to be as it is? Fine, it did. But that still means that a massive Fortune 3 company is being run by Nephandi who have an advancing in progress plan to warp/destroy the planet.

The Technocracy has a clear interest in destroying Pentex because demon slave pollution mutants aren't going to have any use for or interest in capitalism or the current First World socioeconomic systems. They just need to be made aware of that fact in terms that they can accept and believe.
If you assume Pentex is present in your game in its Werewolf form or a Magely equivalent as opposed to an in-joke for a lovely company: The Technocracy cannot defeat Pentex in a covert-operations police actions. They can kill some Black Spiral Dancers, they can blow up some factories, but they can't defeat "the enemy." Even some massive working of Primal Utility might defeat "Pentex" but in five or ten years you're going to deal with the FAANGs of the Wyrm or some new bullshit, if that long.

To defeat the enemy they would need to change their ways. If they compromised the Time Table and the Precepts of Damian and cloned up a cyborg army against Pentex, they might be able to succeed -- but there would be no way to conceal that someone made an army of super-soldiers and sent them against a major world corporation. And it is also possible (probable, even) that elements starting that plan would be suppressed internally.

If they change their ways they are no longer the Technocracy as presented in the core books even if they probably tell themselves otherwise and would likely have a lot of institutional continuity. This would probably be a pretty badass Techno campaign though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I don't see how or why the Technocracy would "defeat" Pentex. You want a world in which human labor is organized according to corporate profits? Okay, this is what you get. If Pentex has 1% higher margins than Microsoft or whatever then you are in fact honor-bound to protect and advance its interests.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I don't see how or why the Technocracy would "defeat" Pentex. You want a world in which human labor is organized according to corporate profits? Okay, this is what you get. If Pentex has 1% higher margins than Microsoft or whatever then you are in fact honor-bound to protect and advance its interests.
Much like how capitalism arose in fits and starts from an aristocratic environment rather than just being delivered by Satan sometime in the early 15th century, they would innovate and would probably unlock a new world, likely one in which corporate profits are important, but the ultimate master is the sickest cyborg army.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

Much like how capitalism arose in fits and starts from an aristocratic environment rather than just being delivered by Satan sometime in the early 15th century, they would innovate and would probably unlock a new world, likely one in which corporate profits are important, but the ultimate master is the sickest cyborg army.

It turned into Metal Gear Rising so gradually we didn't even notice.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ferrinus posted:

There's simply no hiding from the facts, even behind the big bads of other game lines. Oh, the Technocracy would have creates a utopia except it was corrupted by the big bad wyrm? What the gently caress good is it, then? You gave us a global society that's trivially subverted by the wyrm, you dumbasses! Why would we let this go on?!

Oh, you misunderstand my angle I think, I'm saying the Technocracy are completely incompetent jokes precisely because they let it get subverted by the Wyrm and the Weaver simultaneously.

My angle is there's no point arguing ideology with the Technocrats when they are clearly just corrupt fools. Don't let Capitalism pretend it has a plan! It doesn't. It's just the Wyrm. Pentex are the superior corporate antagonist because they embrace the utter lack of meaning and value present in the system.

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, and this is why the Technocracy is hopelessly doomed - because their value system is so nonsense that they end up being effectively exploited by "real" evil.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 30, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It turned into Metal Gear Rising so gradually we didn't even notice.
Honestly, the broad plot arc of the Metal Gear games is not a bad rough comparison for what 'a long term plot arc of Technocrats trying to reform/eventually demolishing the Technocracy' would look like, except, of course, that Raiden (as the carrier of the will of the Boss) would presumably not stop at Senator Armstrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like hell, irl it's become obvious how hilarious easy capitalists can be manipulated if you have agency and don't subscribe to their worldview, because they have no concept of the future beyond the next earnings report and will do literally anything if you offer them a way to make Number Go Up.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like hell, irl it's become obvious how hilarious easy capitalists can be manipulated if you have agency and don't subscribe to their worldview, because they have no concept of the future beyond the next earnings report and will do literally anything if you offer them a way to make Number Go Up.

The W20 Pentex onboarding guide has some of the best and most accurate satire on corporate behaviour I've ever seen. The explanation of how Endron's "production" of oil-spills works is awesome; at first glance, generating major oil spills on purpose sounds like insane Captain-Planet-Villain type behaviour.

The real logic is a lot simpler - the cost of the fine is always less than the cost of compliance. They run all their tankers on the thinnest possible margins because the failure rate is outweighed by the cost savings - and who cares if some animals get hurt. From the Wyrm side, this is a flawless plan to plausibly deniably commit ecological devastation in a completely banal way. From the Corporate side, this is completely normal and rational behaviour and frequently happens in real life.

Incidentally, Subsidiaries: A Guide to Pentex was written in 2000 and has a whole section discussing how the gaming side of Pentex has a plan to drive the mass-import of anime dating sim visual novels to the west because they believe visual novels specifically have the potential to disempower people and make them into incels.

Pentex literally cannot stop winning.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 30, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What programs do you use to organize your notes to run games. Kumu has been great for keeping track of npcs and their relationships. But my story notes are currently a disorganized txt file. I vaguely remember using some Ms office program over a decade ago when is was doing computer sales to organize story ideas, possibly it was one note. But obviously I'm not gonna pay for office.

I'm looking for something that will give me nested headings like a good bookmark bar on a pdf, while also allowing me to have terms link back to their own sections like a wiki.

Open source prefered

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Soonmot posted:

What programs do you use to organize your notes to run games. Kumu has been great for keeping track of npcs and their relationships. But my story notes are currently a disorganized txt file. I vaguely remember using some Ms office program over a decade ago when is was doing computer sales to organize story ideas, possibly it was one note. But obviously I'm not gonna pay for office.

I'm looking for something that will give me nested headings like a good bookmark bar on a pdf, while also allowing me to have terms link back to their own sections like a wiki.

Open source prefered

Google docs.

You can put in text and then label each section using the actual Header you define in the format bat, and on the outline view it will be bookmarked to the headers. You can use header 2 under header 1 to make nested ones, too. It was super useful when I was writing my V5 homebrew book for STV.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Everyone posted:

I'm not sure they do! Demon slave pollution mutants are clearly going to increase returns in the coming quarter, and the most important thing is that all humans the world over continue to think in those terms and no others.

Tolth posted:

Oh, you misunderstand my angle I think, I'm saying the Technocracy are completely incompetent jokes precisely because they let it get subverted by the Wyrm and the Weaver simultaneously.

My angle is there's no point arguing ideology with the Technocrats when they are clearly just corrupt fools. Don't let Capitalism pretend it has a plan! It doesn't. It's just the Wyrm. Pentex are the superior corporate antagonist because they embrace the utter lack of meaning and value present in the system.

Yes, and this is why the Technocracy is hopelessly doomed - because their value system is so nonsense that they end up being effectively exploited by "real" evil.

The Technocracy didn't get "subverted" and it isn't a "corporate antagonist". Pentex is a corporation; the Technocracy is the world-system that allows, nay, forces corporations to exist. All three parts of the metaphysic trinity are alive and well in capitalist modernity.

The reason that the Technocracy is doomed is that stuff like Pentex is just one small piece in a massive litany of reasons for humans to rise up and destroy it. It's not in any danger from spirits or whatever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Google docs.

You can put in text and then label each section using the actual Header you define in the format bat, and on the outline view it will be bookmarked to the headers. You can use header 2 under header 1 to make nested ones, too. It was super useful when I was writing my V5 homebrew book for STV.

I don't think I've ever used Google docs outside of adding my name to goon gamer lists and the like. Do you have a link to something you've done you can send? Pm is fine if you don't want a public post

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ferrinus posted:

The Technocracy didn't get "subverted" and it isn't a "corporate antagonist". Pentex is a corporation; the Technocracy is the world-system that allows, nay, forces corporations to exist. All three parts of the metaphysic trinity are alive and well in capitalist modernity.

The reason that the Technocracy is doomed is that stuff like Pentex is just one small piece in a massive litany of reasons for humans to rise up and destroy it. It's not in any danger from spirits or whatever.

I mean that is the *intent* of the Technocracy, but as discussed the actual outcome is their subversion by their own structure. They can't actually direct capitalism towards their own goals at this point.

They're in no direct danger from spirits whatsoever. The triumph of Pentex isn't supernatural in the slightest - it's organisational and commercial. The system that the Technocracy have created is doomed to fail, and benefits the petty little interests of selfish entities more than it does any grand philosophy at all. There is no coherent end state, and Entropy wins.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Pentex is just not important to Mage! It's not relevant to the Ascension war and might, at most, serve as an easter egg for game line superfans. Corporate polluters are just one of many reasons that living under Technocratic domination sucks; they aren't dangers to the Technocracy itself nor particularly demonstrative of the Technocracy is weak or vulnerable. If you're like, ohhh, the Technocrats just hate oil spills so much but they can't stop them :( it's too hard :( you've been rooked.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Banishers were right.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I don't think I've ever used Google docs outside of adding my name to goon gamer lists and the like. Do you have a link to something you've done you can send? Pm is fine if you don't want a public post

Sent you a PM.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Pentex is just not important to Mage! It's not relevant to the Ascension war and might, at most, serve as an easter egg for game line superfans. Corporate polluters are just one of many reasons that living under Technocratic domination sucks; they aren't dangers to the Technocracy itself nor particularly demonstrative of the Technocracy is weak or vulnerable. If you're like, ohhh, the Technocrats just hate oil spills so much but they can't stop them :( it's too hard :( you've been rooked.
Yeah, part of why I think they walked back all the SPD stuff was because they went 'the Technocracy may be dumb stupid idiots who hate dreams, freedom, and the sound of music in a young girl's heart, but they'd probably throw the first guy vomiting hell-worms into a Progenitor prison-hospital, and would shoot the second through fifty-third in the head.'

The Technocracy as a system produces a situation where Pentex thrives. Agent Jackoff and Agent Wanker think that fomor is a reality deviant and will put three rounds in his head.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's also worth mentioning that the Technocracy in an altered form could absolutely exist without capitalism. The Syndicate would become something like Central Planning, and operate on a controlled economy model.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Soonmot posted:

Open source prefered

I’ve been using obsidian.md for it (and gradually everything else). It’s not open source but all the files are flat markdown files on your hard drive, so you’re not technically tied to the software.

It has a cool feature that visualizes wiki-style links between files, which lets you build character relationship webs, tie clues or scenes or locations together, etc, and quickly move between stuff.

I also write up GM screens in it. Every time I read a game book I shrink the rules down into a clickable summary with everything I need to run a game.

It has a ton of user-created plugins that help with tabletop games, too. Most of them are D&D focused but I imagine with a bit of tinkering you could adapt them to WoD too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that looks great too. I'm looking for tutorials on google docs tomorrow to see if I can create internal wiki style links, but the backlinks feature on that looks like a good alternative.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Update on game tools, Fuzz showed me some stuff with google docs and it's almost perfect. I have an outline column, I can internally link, the only drawback is that I can't collapse the outline like in a good pdf bookmark system. This is apparently a feature people have been asking for for like a decade and can't be accomplished through an extension. Still, this is a lot better organized that my dumb txt file.

I don't know why I'm going so hard on a file only I'll ever see, but whatevs, it's a fun project.

Edit: I still have like ten NPCs from the recent Elysium session to add to my relationship map, this poo poo is out of control

https://kumu.io/soonmot/santa-sangre#santa-sangre-npcs

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 1, 2023

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Could I get that Google Docs tutorial as well? I've been trying to create a living city for my HtV game using World Anvil, but the Google Docs idea might just be better (I can still link to the maps in World Anvil).

On that note, does anyone know of any modules that take place in a modern setting and feature PCs exploring a secret occult base of sorts? It doesn't matter what system, I'm just looking for maps, and room descriptions I can slot into my games. Finding a large supply of good modern maps is kind of a bitch, and Cthulhu Architect just had a kid, so they're not making anything new for at least several more months.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 2, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Update on game tools, Fuzz showed me some stuff with google docs and it's almost perfect. I have an outline column, I can internally link, the only drawback is that I can't collapse the outline like in a good pdf bookmark system. This is apparently a feature people have been asking for for like a decade and can't be accomplished through an extension. Still, this is a lot better organized that my dumb txt file.

I don't know why I'm going so hard on a file only I'll ever see, but whatevs, it's a fun project.

Edit: I still have like ten NPCs from the recent Elysium session to add to my relationship map, this poo poo is out of control

https://kumu.io/soonmot/santa-sangre#santa-sangre-npcs

Niiiice, looks great!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Anonymous Zebra posted:

On that note, does anyone know of any modules that take place in a modern setting and feature PCs exploring a secret occult base of sorts? It doesn't matter what system, I'm just looking for maps, and room descriptions I can slot into my games. Finding a large supply of good modern maps is kind of a bitch, and Cthulhu Architect just had a kid, so they're not making anything new for at least several more months.

Delta Green might be up your alley. It's about fighting unnatural horrors in the modern world. I can't recommend anything specific, since I'm a player in a DG campaign so I haven't personally looked at anything except the player's guide.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Statement from WoD team.

At least they caught it before print this time. I seriously think like 90% of their dumbass snafus would be solved by just hiring some decent loving Editors, :wtc:.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I still have to agree with whoever pointed out that it's bizarre that their depiction of a group of Werewolves is four people just standing around. I still don't understand how any of those pictures go with the text of the document.

The art-style they've chosen to go with is going to be full of these kinds of gently caress-ups, because they are essentially just using slightly stylized depictions of human photographs, which means that it's impossible for an editor to to catch this stuff unless they themselves recognize the real person that is being depicted. I didn't recognize Tāme Wairere Iti because I didn't really know about him before this happened, so I doubt that some random editor is going to have the ability to catch all of these before they hit print.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Could I get that Google Docs tutorial as well? I've been trying to create a living city for my HtV game using World Anvil, but the Google Docs idea might just be better (I can still link to the maps in World Anvil).

Wasn't a tutorial so much as linking me to a work they already did so I can see what was possible. Basically the headers are what you use to nest content, and "Add a link" allows you to link to your headers. PM me your email and I can add you to my file if you want to look, but it's pretty intuitive because I'm a big idiot adhd old guy now and figured it out quick

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I still have to agree with whoever pointed out that it's bizarre that their depiction of a group of Werewolves is four people just standing around. I still don't understand how any of those pictures go with the text of the document.

The thing that gets me is that the "a few people standing around" style can work well enough if it's for a splat whose thematic hook is pretty much entirely aesthetic. It can work for Vampire, because the whole appeal of playing a Toreador is that they're the artsy vampires, and having a good spread of artsy vampires gets the vibe across properly. Same with the Noble Vampires and Rebel Vampires and Monstrous Vampires and so on. Part of the fantasy is looking like a cool vampire.

Werewolf... doesn't have that. The tribes are all focused on "we are from X, and we care about Y", there is no aesthetic hook you can focus on that isn't just a vaguely insulting stereotype. And sure, werewolves have a long history of being featured in romance novels, but all the tribes have the same "standing shirtless in the moonlight" appeal. There isn't an interesting variety from tribe to tribe. Nothing about them aesthetically is a selling point.

Really, there's two benefits to this. 1) A lineup of random people is really easy to commission, especially compared to a dozen unique werewolves embodying their tribe's theme. 2) You can easily have a wide variety of representation, which is good when one of the goals of this edition seems to be making the tribes less of an ethnostate. But in terms of inspiration? They don't add much.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The art-style they've chosen to go with is going to be full of these kinds of gently caress-ups, because they are essentially just using slightly stylized depictions of human photographs, which means that it's impossible for an editor to to catch this stuff unless they themselves recognize the real person that is being depicted. I didn't recognize Tāme Wairere Iti because I didn't really know about him before this happened, so I doubt that some random editor is going to have the ability to catch all of these before they hit print.

Honestly, based on my experience with it, I feel like a lot of it is just easier/cheaper art as they commission someone to, as usual, take some reference photos and trace them. At least of the art shown so far nothing looks overtly AI generated and it's a lot of the same artists as from the Vampire books, but honestly it's only a matter of time before the bulk of the art in these sorts of projects is just AI generated.