Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had to re-download all 95gb of Redfall when it went live :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh lordy I didn't realize it was $70 on top of everything else. AAA publishers choosing to do that during a period of high-profile flops is kinda awkward, huh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

How representative of the combat is this video? It looks super clunky and the environment doesn't look like it has any detail in it.

The combat system on mouse and keyboard feels terrible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I saw more videos and I feel really bad for anybody who paid $70 for this game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGN posted:

During one side mission I died trying to kill a vampire, but when I came back to finish the job he was just a non-interactive blue ghost, rotating to face me but otherwise rooted in place. When I came back again his energy shield was there, but the vampire… wasn't in it. During a co-op session I found myself (more than once) fruitlessly attacking an enemy who was standing right in front of me but my friends saw as a dead body. At one stage, while playing solo, my crouch and start buttons broke. They just made clunking sounds. My inability to crouch persisted after death, but returned when I fast travelled to a safehouse. The start button doesn't pause the game, by the way. It's obviously understandable when playing online co-op, but completely baffling and inconvenient when playing solo.

this year's Fallout 76

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pigbuster posted:

Oh lordy I didn't realize it was $70 on top of everything else. AAA publishers choosing to do that during a period of high-profile flops is kinda awkward, huh

Our last lovely game didn't sell well enough? Better raise the price of our next lovely game to make up for the loss!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Symphony of War? Someone described it to me as Fire Emblem With Armies, which sounds like exactly my thing, but the art is so loving terrible I'm really having trouble even wishlisting it. Is it like Siralim, where the godawful looks conceal rad-tastic mechanics? Or should I give it a pass and go play more Fire Emblem instead?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Since people are talking about Prey and Dishonored (2), I thought I'd throw my 0.02 in, because I'm currently playing them.

I love the environment design and the story is pretty decent, but drat if the stealth is buggered to hell. Seems like every enemy is omnecient about my position, regardless of where I direct a feint to (like throw a bottle).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

Shadows of Doubt is basically the pure immsim experience complete with the bugs and jank that have been described. the game will not stop you from doing whatever the gently caress you want to get information and try to solve cases

Redfall is just vampire borderlands, and they claim it has immsim DNA because houses have both front and back doors you can enter

Ghostlight posted:

it does have a bunch of stealth and distraction mechanics, and you can set up some elaborate kill-zone traps, but none of it matters or asks you to engage with it because you move and kill like a Quake character and the most dangerous opponent outside of the instant-death pits is essentially a mirror-match that doesn't have your extra lives.

Putting these posts side by side, because I think it's very clear from seeing Redfall in action that it's building directly off of Deathloop's least interesting, least immsim elements while maintaining a thin veneer of the genre over top because it has a rudimentary stealth system and turrets.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Symphony of War? Someone described it to me as Fire Emblem With Armies, which sounds like exactly my thing, but the art is so loving terrible I'm really having trouble even wishlisting it. Is it like Siralim, where the godawful looks conceal rad-tastic mechanics? Or should I give it a pass and go play more Fire Emblem instead?

I think it's alright.

Lot of cool ideas, but not really developed enough to be good. I played it at launch and I think there were a few patches that changed things mechanically, so my impressions may be out of date, but you can very, very easily create god tier squads who can tank everything and destroy everything on counterattack, which trivializes the game strategically and tactically. I also found the unit variety kinda eh, like there wasn't that much of a reason to use one of the three or whatever infantry types over the other.

The story isn't anything to write home about and is probably closer to bad than just there.

The creator definitely has a giant woman fetish and will make you realize this too.

I don't regret playing and finishing the game, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go out to pick it up, although I don't know what else I'd recommend in its place besides the usual Rad Codex games, Tactics Ogre, and Triangle Strategy, none of which are really the same type of game Symphony of War is.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Redfall isn't going to help Sony's case that Microsoft buying up publishers will hurt them

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

They've had a few QoL patches since I played that I hear improved matters a little bit but my experience was about a 7/10.

The story is a fat nothing-burger and I didn't really like any of the characters but none of them were really hateable either.

The combat was pretty decent in the early and mid game with a few nice little small twists on Fire Emblem that makes it feel slightly more like the old Ogre Battle combat (sans real time part) where you are more focused on building squads of dudes with inter-squad synergies. I will say that at the time I was playing the combat did start to peter out a little bit because the skills trees and upgrades just kind of ended about 3/4 through the story. By the last 5-6 missions I was using the same squads in every mission with the same gear and just rolling over all the objectives without any real thought or strategy.

I don't regret playing it but by the same token I don't expect to replay it either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Redfall isn't going to help Sony's case that Microsoft buying up publishers will hurt them

unclear who "them" is supposed to refer to in this sentence

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PlushCow posted:

Yeah I'd hope it has a chance, I don't think it would be too hard for EA to get a license out of Warner Bros in their current state.

Though it's not the same kind of game, the Total War Warhammer games are the only thing that have given me a good feel of battles similar to the BFME games. Units with weight, and Orcs, goblins, dragons, big monsters, and some crazy magic (though not as crazy as BFME sadly)

I think there is no exclusive license for it right now becaus Daedalic is publishing the Gollum game. It could happen but EA same too greedy to pay any licensing fee. As for games similar to it, honestly there aren't that many but I think TW is too slow compared it to it. Things like Company of Heroes, AoE2 or rts similar to that come close. I don't know if played BFME2, they had this mode War ofthe Ring it was almost like the overview mode like TW games and the real time battles. It was so fun to play that online but of course the netcode was horrible so you had to keep saving.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

Apparently this person is reputable for leaking Humble stuff. Pretty decent month if you don't have any of them. Everyone should play Spiritfarer.

https://twitter.com/billbil_kun/status/1653166847951249408?s=20

Hard disagree. I thought Spiritfarer was heavily weighted towards the early characters, most of them get very little development and it hard to get attached.

Mascot horror :barf:

and it feels like there's a mixed/ mostly postitive Warhammer game that no ones heard of in every other monthly.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Chaos Gate is excellent. No idea on the other things, but SpiritFarer was on gamepass last year and has been marked down as low as 5-6 USD in recent sales. Six bucks on steam at the moment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I found the writing pretty bad too.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Redfall feels like a mod for far cry but at least far cry 5 (The only one I played besides Blood dragon) had an interesting map to explore

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Redfall? More like DEADfall if you ask me, folks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Redfall is very bad. I might try it with a friend if he can stomach it long enough but holy poo poo it's bad.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Anyone tried the newest Settlers game? I'm wondering if it's worth jumping back on uplay for a month to try out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Anyone tried the newest Settlers game? I'm wondering if it's worth jumping back on uplay for a month to try out.
The Settlers: New Allies? I haven't heard good things, and Googling it pulls up some preeeetty negative reviews.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

Putting these posts side by side, because I think it's very clear from seeing Redfall in action that it's building directly off of Deathloop's least interesting, least immsim elements while maintaining a thin veneer of the genre over top because it has a rudimentary stealth system and turrets.

Deathloop had a lot of positive coverage, but it wasn't really what I wanted from Arkane. A lot of the additions really exposed how weak the AI and shooting felt. Pretty disappointing to see how Redfall is just a Farcry-lite with no improvements in that aspect. :sigh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/Dropsy/

Dropsy is $1 right now. This is a goon made adventure game by the way!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Played Redfall for about 4 hours tonight, I wouldn't call it Bad but it is mediocre and I suspect it'll be very forgettable within 2 weeks.

I picked the character with the Robot friend amd using its Distraction ability is neat I guess but doesn't feel "necessary" in any sense. The C4 for my second skill doesn't do as much damage as you'd expect, and my third ability is just like a healing fountain in an area.

Pretty lame character but I don't want to reroll as one of the others.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Arkane :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Settlers has been dead a very long time and this game did not succeed in reviving it even a little.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I know some people liked Deathloop but that game was a pretty clear red flag for the direction whatever's left of Arkane is going. Don't mourn them, they've been dead for a while

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey, the Armello people are remaking Solium Infernum, an (originally) PBEM TBS about the rulers of hell trying to become the new Satan.

That's awesome, because that game has some fantastic MP TBS design and also because more people should play it but I do find this bit from the Armello people of all people extremely funny.

League of Geeks posted:

Solium Infernum sounds pretty hardcore. I've not played many strategy games, will I be able to pick it up?
At League of Geeks, our focus as a studio is to make strategy games that are accessible, yet deep, have a unique aesthetic signature, and have a whole tonne of heart (even if that's a heart of darkness).

So yes, give it a shot! Whilst there is a lot to Solium Infernum, we design all our games to be broadly accessible so that anyone who plays videogames can dive straight in and with a little bit of determination, can get to the good stuff.

We'll make a strategy mastermind of you yet. ;)

The joke being that Armello is a very cute and wholesome looking game with such rabid amounts of dickish boardgame bullshit that it is a legend for rage quits of nuclear proportion.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

goferchan posted:

I know some people liked Deathloop but that game was a pretty clear red flag for the direction whatever's left of Arkane is going. Don't mourn them, they've been dead for a while

I'm a hardcore Deathloop apologist and even I think Redfall is a loving disaster

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Weird West might have been underbaked and low budget but that team (led by the co-founder of Arkane) were clearly interested in carrying on the spirit of the games Arkane used to make.

It's an infinitely more interesting game than Deathloop, despite all it's jank.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I should mention that cook serve forever isn't really a csd game and the dev isn't really treating it as one. If you want your Stress Simulator you're not going to find it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Symphony of War?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

It's the SAME POSE :laffo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thanks to gamepass I have experienced REDFALL with a full group of friends, as it was designed to be played. it is incredible. (sound is relevant on 2, we couldn't move it at all)

https://i.imgur.com/jP37gPF.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/T14Ov7p.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/0hLX0xw.mp4

The Half Life 2-parity graphics are the game running at max settings, where my RTX 3080 Ti frequently struggled to run it above 45 FPS at 1440p despite there seemingly being no antialiasing, shadows or textures above 8x8 resolution. there was also a full disconnect over the 90 minutes we played.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thanks to Kragger for the bday gifts! (Powerwash and Hob's Barrow) sorry I didn't react right away, Steam didn't pop the message up or play the notification sound like it normally does.

can't wait to clean up Midgar...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWtCDfYo-I

I have absolutely no idea if Kalevania is going to be good, but it'll be releasing tomorrow and there's not many games made based on Finnish mythology compared to our nordic and slavic neighbours, so I'll be picking it up for sure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2387950/Kalevania/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

okay so its a good game

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I wonder how much self awareness there is amongst dev teams when working on games like Redfall.

And I really don't mean from a lovely/lazy devs angle because people can gently caress off with that. I'm sure many of the key decisions in ending up with a game like Redfall are executive lead after pointing at charts and bar graphs. But for the folks sat there actually delivering on the product.. they can't feel good about something like this at any point, surely?

It's such a boring, empty product from concept to execution. I'm struggling to even make it through video reviews even for the novelty of watching bugs and design decisions get slammed. These games are starting to feel like a forced attempt to churn things out for a market that increasingly doesn't really want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Orv posted:

Oh hey, the Armello people are remaking Solium Infernum, an (originally) PBEM TBS about the rulers of hell trying to become the new Satan.

That's awesome, because that game has some fantastic MP TBS design and also because more people should play it but I do find this bit from the Armello people of all people extremely funny.

The joke being that Armello is a very cute and wholesome looking game with such rabid amounts of dickish boardgame bullshit that it is a legend for rage quits of nuclear proportion.

Armello is such a bad board game in everything except presentation. Lots of random, post-input bullshit you have no way to deal with, I really disliked it.