Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Hall carried a weak team into the playoffs in 2018 but they lost hard in the first round

they were very bad for quite a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1653229089640136705

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lindy Ruff is still good, I've been saying

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Lindy Ruff is still good, I've been saying

I've heard people describing him as "fire"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
updated list of What I'd Like To See:

Oilers--win the Cup
Leafs--beat FLA in 7, win ECF in 7, lose the Cup in 7 games (hopefully this means the cap goes up)
Panthers--would be fine with them winning
Hurricanes--gently caress em but who cares
Devils--loss + debilitating yearslong injuries to several key players. they're too set up organizationally for a big window right now. a Stamkos/Neely to Hughes, Hischier, or both would be good.
Stars--cool team, fine, sure
Kraken--gently caress all Seattle sports teams and fans
Golden Knights--don't mind em but it would be really brutal for Connor to lose in this year of all years

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Ruff also won a playoff series in the 70s and 80s as a player.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm fine with anybody left winning.

Oilers: Cool to see the best player in the league win a cup.
Leafs: SAS Leafs fans are nice people. It'd be annoying hearing about it for the next 80 years and hearing about how all of Canada is pulling for them or whatever though.
Panthers: Would be funny
Hurricanes: Not too interested in seeing their dump and chase grindy rear end hockey rewarded. They're probably my least favorite pick left. But I wouldn't hate it.
Devils: Fine with it
Stars: Fine with it
Kraken: It'd be kinda cruel for an expansion team to win this early and for someone like McDavid or Toronto to still be chasing cups. That also makes it funny I guess
Vegas: They're kind of an rear end in a top hat team with rear end in a top hat management but I do like Eichel and Stone.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That Palat assist is one of the best plays in Devils history, just incredible effort and execution

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/betmgm/status/1653227530848018434?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

:lol:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Pulling for the Knights. If the Kings aren't gonna win it, at least Quick and Martinez should.

Seriously, gently caress the Oilers for not allowing a Kings/Quick handshake line. That would have been great either way.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

actually more lopsided than a game they won by 7 goals:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Posted this before but it's confirmed now. First time since 1994 that there's a final 8 full of teams that haven't won a Cup in 15 years. Going to be some happy new fans this year, one way or the other.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

updated list of What I'd Like To See:

Devils-- debilitating yearslong injuries to several key players

yeah, i don't think anybody missed that

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Man everyone is picking the Devils eh? I get that Carolina is hurt and looked pretty meh vs the Islanders, but I dunno. They dominated the Devils a few times during the regular season, like utterly controlled play all over the ice. I think the Devils have found a physical/defensive level that I didn't see during the regular season, and that will be huge vs the Canes, but it's not an easy series.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Congrats to the Devils on a series well played, they thoroughly embarrassed the Rangers to the point that they quit.

On to the No Quit In New York Fire Sale thread I go.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

T-Bone posted:

Man everyone is picking the Devils eh? I get that Carolina is hurt and looked pretty meh vs the Islanders, but I dunno. They dominated the Devils a few times during the regular season, like utterly controlled play all over the ice. I think the Devils have found a physical/defensive level that I didn't see during the regular season, and that will be huge vs the Canes, but it's not an easy series.

Yeah I noticed that too. Normally that would make me pick the Hurricanes. But my picks are all the opposite of what I want to see happen. That way I can either be happy the teams I wanted to win won, or happy that my picks did well. It's great for me either way, going 2-6 in the first round was cool and good!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fancy stats posted:

yeah, i don't think anybody missed that

how could anyone miss that? it's right in the post.

i know the joke is that no one who posts in these threads watched hockey pre-lockout, but you forget how Devils fans were from about 1995-2012. they are too well set up to have a long successful run. It Must Not Come To Pass

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The important thing is that no team is likely to go 16-4 this season. 2012 Kings and 2022 Avalanche still the only real Cup champs.

And remember, Kings did it with minimal top 10 picks.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mr. Kite posted:

The important thing is that no team is likely to go 16-4 this season. 2012 Kings and 2022 Avalanche still the only real Cup champs.

And remember, Kings did it with minimal top 10 picks.

this is a wretched trolling effort from you sir. do better

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1653244187414765568

deserve to win is back baby

the one exception to this? The Toronto Maple Leafs

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm just kind of parodying myself from a few days ago. I forgot that hockey such serious business.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

T-Bone posted:

deserve to win is back baby

the one exception to this? The Toronto Maple Leafs

This is karma for that freaking series against the Blue Jackets

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
For me. It’s a clean hit

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
What has the general consensus been on Timo Meier been so far these playoffs? Goose egg on the scoresheet for 7 games but I feel like I haven’t heard much bitching about him after giving up a haul. Panarin is getting roasted to hell by everyone for putting up 2 points lol

This guy was scoring at almost a point-per-game pace on a horrible Sharks team this year, genuinely curious how he is being talked about like Edmonton fans talked about Puljujarvi last year (“0 points but man was he doing all the little things right!”)

Even Puljujarvi has a point in the playoffs this year!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

What has the general consensus been on Timo Meier been so far these playoffs? Goose egg on the scoresheet for 7 games but I feel like I haven’t heard much bitching about him after giving up a haul. Panarin is getting roasted to hell by everyone for putting up 2 points lol

This guy was scoring at almost a point-per-game pace on a horrible Sharks team this year, genuinely curious how he is being talked about like Edmonton fans talked about Puljujarvi last year (“0 points but man was he doing all the little things right!”)

Even Puljujarvi has a point in the playoffs this year!

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1652695245497171970

some would say due, but now may be brained

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

it honestly feels like a fluke that he came out of it with no points, he created a lot of golden chances and shesterkin robbed him repeatedly.

hope his brain still works

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Yeah he was effective even without points. He had a big moment in game 3 when he tried to jump on Igor’s knee and purposefully injure him. Igor got a penalty from it, it tilted him, and the Devils scored not too long after:

https://youtu.be/fVOLHikIui8

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

kinda looked like shesterkin's stick caught his foot and then he got shoved from behind but we'll have to review the xInjuriesFor / xInjuriesAgainst numbers

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Whoever was posting about Devils fans having meltdowns, hope you're OK bud.

Eat poo poo Rangers.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Absolutely incredible, the way this team has grown all season.

Is there a consensus on the Trouba hit? I haven't seen it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought it was legal. Obviously he's trying to hurt Meier and shake up his team, but it looked legal to me.

Posted in the GD thread but I at least have enough shame not to complain about that kind of hit after rooting for Scott Stevens for 12 years. Meier came back on the bench and was in the handshake line but he looked concussed to me. Wasn't he also coming off a concussion earlier in the year when he joined the Devils?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Not only was Timo in the handshake line, he embraced Trouba.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No sure Pavelski is gonna add much to the series...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's incredibly weird that one of Dallas or Seattle will be in the conference finals this year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol Rangers. lol

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

Pulling for the Knights. If the Kings aren't gonna win it, at least Quick and Martinez should.

Seriously, gently caress the Oilers for not allowing a Kings/Quick handshake line. That would have been great either way.

Quick's best days are behind him but Martinez rocks for shaming the Knights defensemen in to being a shot blocking powerhouse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

It's incredibly weird that one of Dallas or Seattle will be in the conference finals this year.

Dallas has been a top tier team all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/Dejan_Kovacevic/status/1653223017642639362?s=20

The NHL: "Poor Trouba! He has such bad luck. He keeps throwing these clean hits through the body, but peoples heads keep unavoidably getting in the way."