Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

it's almost an andy kaufman level of anti-entertainment. except people have the power to click away or just not click play. whoever does watch all the way through might get cursed like The Ring

Like that lasagna cat video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Hangin' out for 30 hours straight with all my Nazi, Furry, and Nazi Furry friends talking about how Captain Marvel shrunk my pee pee or whatever.

I used to be heavily in the Hbomberguy discord and me and some others riffed on him a lot and sometimes people would go "well hold on, he's got ideas worth dissecting at least" and then he got known to be a friend of Sargon and things and that stopped very quickly, lol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The 7th Guest posted:

no I don't think I'll follow you this far down the road

online creators thread go one week without a really weird post challenge

What is the intended entertainment value of Q's sitcom videos? Presumably, it is to repackage iCarly, et al, into reactable Content. The purpose of watching the video is to experience Quinton's reactions to and opinions on the source material.

The videos would not exist without the source material. The source material is a product of systemic, predatory child exploitation. The reviews actively, knowingly refuse to acknowledge that exploitation except with the occasional sly glance designed to further lure you into the spectacle of observing something horrible.

Quinton has constructed a new machine that squeezes further blood from the stone that is iCarly. It does not find new insights, a new cultural context; its critiques have nothing to stand on, because the material conditions under which iCarly was produced are actively ignored.

It's just skimming ad revenue and platform engagement off the top of a mechanism that exploited and traumatized children and spat out Content.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My favorite efap story is when Joseph Anderson put out a video saying any review anyone makes is going to be a little subjective, they called him the f-slur and challenged him to a debate on their podcast, which he obviously refused. And to this day their fans are still baffled why he doesn't want anything to do with them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Famethrowa posted:

I had to look up at the e-fap website and, lmfao

lmao no loving thank you. Whatever makes them ad revenue, I guess

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBgiQJXTbpI

In the midst of talk about 5 (30???) hour ramblings, here's a merocfully half-hour Trainwreckords from TITS.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kay Kessler posted:

My favorite efap story is when Joseph Anderson put out a video saying any review anyone makes is going to be a little subjective, they called him the f-slur and challenged him to a debate on their podcast, which he obviously refused. And to this day their fans are still baffled why he doesn't want anything to do with them.

The Mauler incident as well as Sophie from Mars trying to publicly shame him into making a big donation to LGBT charities to make up for his elf racism are two of the big reasons JA significantly reduced his social media presence.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

What is the intended entertainment value of Q's sitcom videos? Presumably, it is to repackage iCarly, et al, into reactable Content. The purpose of watching the video is to experience Quinton's reactions to and opinions on the source material.

The videos would not exist without the source material. The source material is a product of systemic, predatory child exploitation. The reviews actively, knowingly refuse to acknowledge that exploitation except with the occasional sly glance designed to further lure you into the spectacle of observing something horrible.

Quinton has constructed a new machine that squeezes further blood from the stone that is iCarly. It does not find new insights, a new cultural context; its critiques have nothing to stand on, because the material conditions under which iCarly was produced are actively ignored.

It's just skimming ad revenue and platform engagement off the top of a mechanism that exploited and traumatized children and spat out Content.
ahuh, that's still not another form of child exploitation. that's an insane leap to make. just call his videos way too long and bad/boring like the rest of us, instead of trying to find a way in which disliking his videos is a moral good. that poo poo is irritating on social media let alone here at SA

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

ahuh, that's still not another form of child exploitation. that's an insane leap to make. just call his videos way too long and bad/boring like the rest of us, instead of trying to find a way in which disliking his videos is a moral good. that poo poo is irritating on social media let alone here at SA

Doctorwhat is being a little hyperbolic but it rings true. This is pretty basic true crime criticism.

Is Quinton the same as Schneider? Not even close. But the framing of Schneider's misdeeds is still pretty gross and there's an genuine question on whether or not Icarly deserves 8 hours of shite just to get like 30 mins of talk around it.

And this is coming from someone who think online criticism needs look more into the hosed up stuff here.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pachylad posted:

In the midst of talk about 5 (30???) hour ramblings, here's a merocfully half-hour Trainwreckords from TITS.
Thanks!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk that i'd put it in the category of true crime, where you have documentaries casting actors to dramatically reenact real-life crimes/trial testimonies where the families had no say. or podcasts that make jokes about both the killer and the victim in the context of their real-rear end life and death, or even victim blame. and the nature of the true crime industry is that it very specifically treats these real life stories as disposable bits of popcorn entertainment that go in one ear and out the other as they keep queueing up story after story, murderer after murderer, victim after victim, episode after episode. brevity being a key aspect because you convert months of trauma and grief into the format of a procedural. that's basically That Chapter, where he's putting out two videos a week, every week, at about 20-30 minutes per story, making jokes about the victims' interests, making jokes about witnesses and trying to play up "could THEY be the killer??"

quinton is very specifically not doing true crime videos or commentary. his videos are basically long dry wikipedia articles about tv shows, complete with full paragraph recaps of every episode, and the controversy section being placed at the end of the article. that's why i don't like them btw. his history channel stuff was interesting because it was more like, a thesis statement that was backed up with a lot of ridiculous footage that quinton could react incredulously to. his fallen titans videos went into the history of problematic or infamous creators and where they ended up. this stuff is nothing like those videos. it's just, really long recaps of shows Quinton watched as a kid. he did it with Fred and the Fred movie, he did it with iCarly, he's doing it with Sam and Cat, and he's probably going to keep doing it with other shows, shows that aren't in the same 'universe'. like he mentioned he's gonna review every Garfield video game ever made for a future video. and we've got the 38 hour Beverly Hillbillies video. he has just decided his brand is going to be about Excess.

i don't even know what quinton wants to do with his channel because even within the sam and cat videos he is miserable and talking about it like it's this horrible task he's been shackled to-- you don't have to do it dude! maybe consume some media made after 2010.

it's why i moved on to creators like danny gonzalez who could cover some ridiculous piece of media within 20 minutes. just the cliffs notes on how bad or insane something is. i don't need to know what gibby is up to in season 4 episode 23 of iCarly. just tell me about the time the stunt guy seriously hurt himself falling from the ceiling onto concrete for the sake of a "Gibby gets hurt" gag

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 2, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
To be clear, I am absolutely not accusing Quinton of literal child abuse. But he is gawking at, and feeding off, the product of real child exploitation. It is a for-profit operation with no redeeming qualities and significant ethical debt it shows no signs of repaying. I unsubscribed from Quinton because I don't want to see that poo poo and I don't want to support it. It's ghoulish.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

icarly is serious business

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not gonna argue it further, I just think that it's a reach. I can find it weird or bad that it's taken this long for him to get to the allegations, but i'm not invested in judging whether that is a moral failure so much as the result of going off the deep end of an analytical approach to making content that has rendered an interesting channel, deeply uninteresting

anyway. the writers strike is happening, so online creators will have to entertain us for the next year

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he should talk about the show and make interesting remarks and summaries of episodes and discuss the allegations instead of making a 48 hour video discussing every single episode no matter how irrelevant it is

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9mM2StxkCo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im not watching it regardless

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i regretted watching it, even though it was just in the background while i worked

he spent at least one half hour discussing ships, which is the real reason he should stop

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 2, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the video is edited to just under 6 minutes rather than being the full 43,200 minute runtime required to learn

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I remember watching the huge DS2 reaction video and thinking it had a couple of good points, only that they were buried beneath the 12 hour duration.

Dawgstar posted:

Does MauLer possess any sort of qualification that could lead anyone to think that yes, their criticism should be taken to heart?

Not anymore than any other video essayist I think.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

38 loving hours????

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endless conversations about no video having any voting rights to be 3 hours long led us to this point. Maybe stop talking about video lengths if you don't want to manifest a 6 day long video on Ren & Stimpy into existence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

There's another infamous moment where the EFAP crew plus a couple of other big name white supremacist nerdtubers get mad and confused at why the big bad of the John Cena Peacemaker show was a white supremacist, and why the white supremacist character was portrayed as a bad guy. Like just giving away the game completely.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Sydin posted:

The Mauler incident as well as Sophie from Mars trying to publicly shame him into making a big donation to LGBT charities to make up for his elf racism are two of the big reasons JA significantly reduced his social media presence.
Wait what's this about elf racism

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

assuming I'm understanding the twitter drama correctly, apparently at some point in one of the witcher videos (that I haven't watched because I cannot be bothered to spend 9 hours watching them) he said something about "being elf racist", and disliking that the books portray them in a way to be hated. Apparently actual racists maybe like the witcher because the books do a good job of being racist to the non-human races and he should have done more about "hey the books are actually anti-racist and here's why".

There was a response video from Sophie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlvlI05cOU

that either was a hit piece calling anderson "mega-hitler racist" or a nuanced critique that "wanted him to do better talking about marginalized groups in fantasy in the future". A lot of it was less sophie calling him a racist outright, and a lot more youtube comments calling him racist which leads to a defensive "no I'm not an actual racist for hating the elves in the witcher series" and more dumb twitter poo poo and christ I feel like less of a human being for looking into any of this at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sophie's video is honestly fine, the "drama" came from her fans going to harass JA on Twitter after she critiqued his analysis of elves in the Witcher series and when he tried to clarify his position Sophie jumped into the conversation to complain about him "making it public" (because apparently making a video calling him out is fine but him trying to defend himself on Twitter isn't???) and then tried to argue he needed to donate to charities to make up for declaring himself an elf racist and not applying what she felt was the proper critical lens to the series in his analysis.

As a fan of both Sophie and JA (his later videos and streams at least, his older stuff is hella dry) the whole thing was really loving stupid and embarrassing and it sucks that the whole incident resulted in JA withdrawing a lot of his online presence.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Endless conversations about no video having any voting rights to be 3 hours long led us to this point. Maybe stop talking about video lengths if you don't want to manifest a 6 day long video on Ren & Stimpy into existence.
Welp, now that you mentioned it, it's going to happen.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Aww, I like Quinton’s deep dive videos. I always look forward to them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you don't say, samus avatar

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

38 loving hours????

One of the reasons why there's so much of the video is also bc the show is technically on copyright limbo/free as well, so technically you are watching the whole show by...experiencing that.

I'm honestly fascinated by such a video. Channel Awesome got involved with legal trouble over movie studios seeing his videos as barely transformative of the original video, and you could somewhat argue with enough skits and jokes, you could get around this. There are... maybe some light skits around the whole thing, with some commercials and some light analysis, but that's about it, you're mainling 38 hours of 3 shows around one single concept. If a company brought the rights, they could take Quinton's Dad video down easily with the most ease.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 2, 2023

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sydin posted:

lol please tell me she was not on EFAP.
Going by a short google (which also informed me what EFAP even is): Yes; yes a lot. :stare: :stare: :stare:
code:
Total Time: (18D-9H-43M-14S) Total Appearances: 113
I'm not familiar with them otherwise but on that website they are also referenced as a he so that seems... poo poo?

Anyway glancing over the website I also saw another name/channel I was vaguely familiar with called Heelvsbabyface.
I always assumed that would mostly be a Wrestling channel now considering the name but a quick glance over their youtube and those certainly where some titles.
"Antifa-Man and the Commiemania" about Ant-Man 3 is almost impressive though considering what a wet fart of a movie it is to get upset about ill give them that.
Honestly it keeps being surprising how many of these edgelords are out there.

Watch this aforementioned Todd video instead:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 2, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

He's able to talk for like 11 hours straight without ever stopping to pee and sounds British so people think he must be smart or something. Like how people used to think Sargon of Akkad was some kind of thought leader until he definitely proved himself to be an illiterate imbecile.

Oh, nice. He's like that racist Warhammer content creator who despite being from Norway tried to affect a British accent (poorly) and Discord logs showed he was so racist and antisemetic that while he used to be called 'Arch Warhammer' Games Workshop C&D'd him to drop 'Warhammer' from his handle.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Alaois posted:

you don't say, samus avatar

What does that mean?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Impermanent posted:

What does that mean?

Samus avatars were bought en mass during the AGDQ threads, which had outrageously lovely posting quality.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Also "you don't really mean it unless you donate a ton of money right now" is such a lame way of ending an internet argument

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zedd posted:

I'm not familiar with them otherwise but on that website they are also referenced as a he so that seems... poo poo?
Jay Exci lists she/they/he on Twitter, fwiw :shrug:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pachylad posted:

I'm curious if the selection is at all due to terms like "crown" and "royal" probably doing well in the algorithm just now. He seems the sort to say if he did it on purpose.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Zedd posted:

Nice how they put DMC front-and-center on an album he wanted nothing to do with.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jay Exci lists she/they/he on Twitter, fwiw :shrug:
That's fair, Like I said I'm not familiar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Zedd posted:

When I was a kid I found it really weird that Run DMC kinda disappeared a bit before the punk metal rap stuff started happening, and this sorta answered my questions about it.