Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I've said it here before, but The National were praised for how great they are live and I saw them finally in 2017 they are so massively overrated live.

So many better acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

I've said it here before, but The National were praised for how great they are live and I saw them finally in 2017 they are so massively overrated live.

So many better acts.

I mean when I listen to the 1-2 punch that is Alligator and Boxer... they probably were back in those days. Then they just became this sedated "Sad Dad" caricature and by 2017 (I saw them that year too) it was just... not great.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Matt's voice sounds like poo poo now too, I thought he had a lovely singing voice in the older days and now it sounds whispery and croaky.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Also you’re apparently rolling the dice these days on whether Matt will ruin the show by being incoherently drunk. I’m actually seeing them for the first time later this month so we’ll see!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I saw them on the Trouble Will Find Me tour and it was fantastic, but haven't seen them since. I like the new album more than any they've done since Trouble Will Find Me, but that's a pretty low bar. I don't hate it, but it's definitely background music. I could see myself chucking it on over wine and cheese or whatever. Easy listening for sad dads

God I'm old now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loved Trouble Will Find Me, but that album did come out like a decade ago, didn't it? :corsair:

I've never seen them live but I did watch their 2+ hour long Live at Sydney Opera House show on YouTube and it was pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd0EWKpH94

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Big City Drinkin posted:

Also you’re apparently rolling the dice these days on whether Matt will ruin the show by being incoherently drunk. I’m actually seeing them for the first time later this month so we’ll see!

Only time I saw them Matt got drunk during the show, which honestly did help him loosen up.

In local news the new Tiny Ruins album dropped last week for anybody that likes our kiwi branded indie
https://youtu.be/s4feBg1lmrU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I've never seen them live but I did watch their 2+ hour long Live at Sydney Opera House show on YouTube and it was pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd0EWKpH94

Yeah, I saw them play four days before that Sydney gig so the video is pretty much exactly the same as my experience. It was great, and probably the reason I keep listening to them even after a few pretty dire albums.

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
I’ll still go to bat for The National but I’m a sucker for their whole vibe and probably always will be. I think most people have bands they continue to like way beyond when they were Actually Good and I guess they’ve become one of mine, so it goes

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I’m completely the same. I just love those guys and am always happy to hear new music.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm not even opposed to the slower style they do now but it all sounds*exactly* the same. Like the past 20 songs just sound like demos of the same song. It's just so droning and uninspired.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BonoMan posted:

I'm not even opposed to the slower style they do now but it all sounds*exactly* the same. Like the past 20 songs just sound like demos of the same song. It's just so droning and uninspired.

I think you just need to change it up a little. Maybe instead of something by The National, something produced and written by one of their members but for a different artist

https://youtu.be/K-a8s8OLBSE

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Funnily enough the Taylor Swift duet on the latest album was probably the best song there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought Sleep Well Beast and I Am Easy to Find were two of their most distinct-sounding albums, between the former's more electronica-type beats and the latter's emphasis on backing vocals (which then carried over to Serpentine Prison). Easy to Find in particular has a lot of my favorite songs from their whole repertoire

First Two Pages is way more scattershot in comparison and i thought it had more outright duds than anything else they've put out, but in any case the relative homogeneity of their sound is something you sign up for going in. at this point in my life my musical tastes are defined by:

a) is this something i listened to fifteen years ago
b) does this remind me of something i listened to fifteen years ago
c) does it make me go "oh that's nice" in the first ten seconds

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
I will say that I thought Matt Berninger’s solo album was dreadful, so even I have a line

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

That's the double edged sword of being a successful band for 20 years. You stick with the same sound, people complain it's gotten stale. You try and change up your sound like Arcade Fire, and people say they just want the same sound they had 20 years ago.

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
Yeah, the only band I know of that’s pulled the hat trick of “after 20 years, now for something completely different” successfully is Low. Maybe Liars counts too, but they kind of did a different for thing every album and it didn’t always work (but I still love Liars)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Bowie's final album was A. Pretty different to everything else he'd done and B. One of his very best, I reckon.
Edit: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have changed their sound up pretty regularly, and the only bad album they've ever released is Nocturama imo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shining Toaster posted:

Yeah, the only band I know of that’s pulled the hat trick of “after 20 years, now for something completely different” successfully is Low. Maybe Liars counts too, but they kind of did a different for thing every album and it didn’t always work (but I still love Liars)

I only know their most recent album, but when I bought the vinyl at a local record store, the guy at the register started enthusing about the band, saying that every other album they did was experimental, then they'd go back to their usual sound.

cptn_dr posted:

Bowie's final album was A. Pretty different to everything else he'd done and B. One of his very best, I reckon.

That was very good and I should listen to it again.

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...

cptn_dr posted:

Edit: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have changed their sound up pretty regularly, and the only bad album they've ever released is Nocturama imo

Oh these are great examples. I should really listen to Bowie more often

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cptn_dr posted:

Yes to both of these. Blackstar is amazing.

Also I'd argue U2 has done some good style changing.
Boy/War/October
UF/JTree/R&H
AB/Zooropa/Pop
ATYCLB (sort of the hangover catharsis to the 90s)

Shame they didn't make anything after that.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

bows1 posted:

Did you watch the opener Yeah Baby?
It was Peter One, we missed most of his set unfortunately.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apropos of nothing I feel like I may be the only person who much prefers Jessie Ware’s earlier, torch song type stuff to her disco reinvention. That’s fine and all but man Tough Love and Devotion are just two fantastic albums.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Love that this kicked off the most engaged day for this thread since these bands were at their peak, hah! I've thrown around my love bands too, clearly The National stick with most of you more than they do for me, we all love our own stuff.

Give me Jim James and Robin Pecknold forever.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

cptn_dr posted:

There are a ton of examples of seasoned musicians releasing stellar work later, but yeah... Bowie nailed a few albums over three decades into his career.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shining Toaster posted:

I think Belle and Sebastian have crossed over the 20 year mark distressingly enough. Stuart really wants to be an electro pop band n some ways.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I first saw The National live just after Boxer came out and they were absolutely phenomenal, but that was 15 years ago and I’m not surprised the band is in a different place now, though I know that’s disappointing to many. I will say that when I saw them last, in August of last year, they weren't on top form, but given the difficulties in making the album they've been discussing in recent interviews (Matt giving up drinking and dealing with heavy depression and writer's block), I can forgive them and I'm glad they're still putting out music.

I find FTPoF is a less interesting album at first blush than SWB or IAEtF, and it's not going to convert anyone who wasn't already a fan, but it’s still a very good album in my opinion, with a couple of excellent tracks. I think IAEtF also got an initially cold reception from a lot of people due to the female vocalists and the film tie-in, but I think that proves there’s no pleasing everyone. For my money, SWB and IAEtF are some of their best work, but there's definitely a significant group of fans who'd prefer something more like Boxer or High Violet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Magic Mango posted:

I first saw The National live just after Boxer came out and they were absolutely phenomenal, but that was 15 years ago and I’m not surprised the band is in a different place now, though I know that’s disappointing to many. I will say that when I saw them last, in August of last year, they weren't on top form, but given the difficulties in making the album they've been discussing in recent interviews (Matt giving up drinking and dealing with heavy depression and writer's block), I can forgive them and I'm glad they're still putting out music.

I find FTPoF is a less interesting album at first blush than SWB or IAEtF, and it's not going to convert anyone who wasn't already a fan, but it’s still a very good album in my opinion, with a couple of excellent tracks. I think IAEtF also got an initially cold reception from a lot of people due to the female vocalists and the film tie-in, but I think that proves there’s no pleasing everyone. For my money, SWB and IAEtF are some of their best work, but there's definitely a significant group of fans who'd prefer something more like Boxer or High Violet.

Alligator is objectively the best album. Boxer is good but drat Alligator is *amazing*.

Also didn't realize that Matt actually quit drinking. Did he really??? Good for him if he did. He drank way too much on stage to where, even to a casual observer, it kind of seemed like a problem.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

BonoMan posted:

Alligator is objectively the best album. Boxer is good but drat Alligator is *amazing*.

Also didn't realize that Matt actually quit drinking. Did he really??? Good for him if he did. He drank way too much on stage to where, even to a casual observer, it kind of seemed like a problem.

This article mentions him giving up booze and weed, though I’m not sure if it’s for good.

The first time I saw them, Matt drank multiple bottles of wine though the set and it definitely seemed like A Problem.

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...
I’m surprised by the number of articles I’ve seen that now point to Sleep Well Beast as being the start of some band-ending quality drop, I thought that album was excellent and as I recall its initial reception seemed to agree? At least the reviews I can find are in line with that.

I know I Am Easy to Find was a harder sell, and I’ll agree it could have cut a few tracks, but overall I think it’s strong (and perhaps controversially, I think the cuts should have come from the Berninger-centric songs that don’t feature female vocalists front-and-center). Sleep Well Beast is solid through-and-through, though, and is just as good as Trouble Will Find Me in my book.

As for First Two Pages of Frankenstein, I’m still forming an opinion but I do like it. Like all their other albums, I liked it more the second time I listened to it, so it’s going to take more spins before I can compare it to previous releases.

e: and just to prove I listen to things besides The National, I’m super into that new Wednesday album y’all, just an absolute treasure

Shining Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 3, 2023

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Alan Palomo/Neon Indian put out his first song since, 2018? Either way it's got Mac Demarco on it and I'm pretty much exactly the target market for this, plus the video is a great Leisure Suit Larry sendup featuring Joe Camel and Ernest Borgnine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGgNhwhNz44

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 3, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Did not know about that video thanks for sharing it’s amazing lol

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
It's nice hearing lyrics again over his music. I swear I ignored his last album just because the first track he released was instrumental. And I just assumed the whole thing would be, doh!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/XVKHeBRox0k

Was not expecting this but I’ll take more Hives for sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that was quite the surprise!

I relate to dad-hives more than ever

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Mac endorsed music video for “ball for the coach”, made with AI.

https://youtu.be/tEyiCSkm5_M

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
It's hilarious everyone has a The National story. Here's mine:

Saw them at The Metro (small venue) for a Lolla aftershow in 2018. When I got there the line was wrapped around the loving building. I waited until they started letting people in, acted like I was taking a picture of the marquee and just snuck in line, so I was one of the first ~50 people in. Total poo poo move in retrospect to everyone that was waiting for hours, but it was late and I didn't care.

So I was up near the rail for most of the show. They played until like 2 AM. Matt was drinking mixed drinks the entire time and was definitely hosed up by the end, but honestly that probably made the acoustic Vanderlyle ending much, much better. It was an amazing show, maybe because of the venue/time, but it was so good. I've seen them once since then and it was not the same at all.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Polyvinyl and American Football bought the American Football house.

https://polyvinylrecords.com/news/5931

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Hot Diggity! posted:

Polyvinyl and American Football bought the American Football house.

https://polyvinylrecords.com/news/5931

lol awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOU-HjwfJgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLEiQ2jImxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMC6vZrk4aE