Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if the birds wish to live then they should nest elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
FAA being sued for the dead birds.

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...ling-to-protect

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

20,000 years from now long after humanity is gone the distant planet Glorpax will send its first astronaut into space and he’s gonna get hit by that Tesla Elon launched

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That DICK! posted:

20,000 years from now long after humanity is gone the distant planet Glorpax will send its first astronaut into space and he’s gonna get hit by that Tesla Elon launched

Do glorpaxians look like little kids?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

trucutru posted:

Do glorpaxians look like little kids?

They look like firetrucks.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if the birds wish to live then they should nest elsewhere

concerning

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

wait it's supposed to do a loop-de-loop to separate the rockets? no that's stupid you must be explaining it wrong

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yeah that can't be right, they think it will have the fuel to lift 200 tons of payload, do a loop, and then vertically land on its tail like a 1950s pulp rocketship, all while sweating fuel as skin coolant?

whoever's selling the fuel to spacex must be setting the requirements to make sure as much fuel as possible is expended per launch

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Is there any documentation of what the rocket was supposed to do? Like I know it was a complete success and it was meant to explode and getting off the launchpad is amazing but did they ever say what they were intending to do?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

BattleMaster posted:

yeah that can't be right, they think it will have the fuel to lift 200 tons of payload, do a loop, and then vertically land on its tail like a 1950s pulp rocketship, all while sweating fuel as skin coolant?

whoever's selling the fuel to spacex must be setting the requirements to make sure as much fuel as possible is expended per launch

firps

pricnipoles

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Is there any documentation of what the rocket was supposed to do? Like I know it was a complete success and it was meant to explode and getting off the launchpad is amazing but did they ever say what they were intending to do?

it was supposed to a)launch (success) b)without destroying the launchpad (failure) successfully burning through all its fuel (failure) reaching an appointed altitude (failure) then returning intact enough to be relaunched in the near future (lol)

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Filthy Hans posted:

it was supposed to a)launch (success) b)without destroying the launchpad (failure) successfully burning through all its fuel (failure) reaching an appointed altitude (failure) then returning intact enough to be relaunched in the near future (lol)

One out of two three four five ain't bad

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EffinBirds/status/1653045778955534337

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

spanky the dolphin posted:

The goal was to have the second stage (starship) go around the earth and splash down in the ocean near Hawaii. The first stage was supposed to turn around after stage separation and drop into the gulf of Mexico. Obviously none of that happened since the thing started to break apart almost immediately after liftoff and lost control so it never even got to the point where stage separation could have occurred.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Mission duration
3 minutes, 59 seconds (achieved)
90–100 minutes (planned)

Orbits completed
0 (achieved)
<1 (intended)

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ikanreed posted:

But he does it so much cheaper than NASA!

the public funds dedicated solely to funding the privatization of space for just this year were as much as the entire Apollo program.

Source?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

you guys don't get it he's launching so many rockets and getting so much data dumb ol' nasa couldn't get this much data on things like how many birds did we kill and how much land did we pollute

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEEDOM OF SPEECH!
*Start censoring the F words in a bird related contect*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1653332854137339905?t=TMeWBGZ2gO_p8B9Q7ykqfw&s=19

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

When I woke up this morning I assumed the sick rad flip to separate the rocket was some food induced nonsense dream until I checked this thread again :lol: more money each year for this than the entire budget for the DoE department of science

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

every time someone itt says "no it can't be that stupid we must be misunderstanding" i assume it actually must be that stupid. call it the rule of musk.

hey did he ever release the musk files which he was going to release to his pet journos for accountability after the twitter files (which were so very important ofc as we were told in this very thread) or does he not care about that anymore

maybe he's waiting for tucker, america's greatest independent journalist who is not a mouthpiece for the american government despite being the son of a state department propagandist, to land somewhere

lmao

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/SteveSayersOne/status/1653127662821429250?t=THz2hlQAegvEfJ_yNbsd5A&s=19

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

gahahahhahahaha god drat, SHOOK

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

lmao at the "im rubber" defense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the eye roll is the best part

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

extremely not mad, the most not mad ever, you might say

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

gahahahhahahaha god drat, SHOOK

love that he signed it so we know who made this epic ownage on the haters

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
twitter trolls beware this is a troll free zone

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

It's should be illegal to be this terminally online

*turns on monitor*

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

put that on a shirt

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcbexx posted:

I'm not a rocket scientist, but intuitively I would assume that's not particularly controlled and uh, the g-forces would probably kill any potential crew.

Challenger astronauts survived the blast.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1988/11/13/shuttle-crew-said-to-have-survived-blast/bd5281d0-1e05-417e-89bc-7ec64fa9477e/

quote:

Actually, most of the crew were probably conscious and aware of their fate for the 2 1/2 minutes it took to fall to the sea, Powell's account in the newspaper said. At least three of the astronauts were able to turn on emergency air supplies after the blast. The condition of salvaged parts indicated the shuttle's crew compartment survived the explosion intact, and there was no clear evidence the cabin even depressurized before it broke apart when it hit the ocean at 200 mph, dismembering the astronauts' bodies.

This would be my nightmare. G forces pressing me into the chair, fully conscious but unable to move, just sitting there waiting for a violent death for 2.5 minutes. even drowning would be faster than that.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

FizFashizzle posted:

Challenger astronauts survived the blast.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1988/11/13/shuttle-crew-said-to-have-survived-blast/bd5281d0-1e05-417e-89bc-7ec64fa9477e/

This would be my nightmare. G forces pressing me into the chair, fully conscious but unable to move, just sitting there waiting for a violent death for 2.5 minutes. even drowning would be faster than that.

I'd take that over drowning and probably most forms of death

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

a.lo posted:

put that on a shirt

They probably have business cards like that they hand out if they hear anyone talking bad about Twitter Blue

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

it is genuinely a shame these antique forums can't make that our avs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This guy rules

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
just lmao that this idiot is given free reign to remove vital parts of his rockets because the vibes are off, causing catastrophic environmental disasters every time he launches one and our government is more than happy to subsidize all of it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and he's right