Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I couldn’t give a flying gently caress about Zelda story spoilers I just don’t want to be spoiled on new areas and gameplay poo poo. Like dark souls, basically.

Avoid everything zelda related while you can. You will be very happy in 2 weeks. Trust me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Avoid everything zelda related while you can. You will be very happy in 2 weeks. Trust me on this.

lol all this means to me is "gently caress I'm gonna hear a major spoiler at some point in the next couple weeks" im too terminally online that they won't get me one way or another.

although an extra special gently caress you to TVTropes, btw. When I heard that weird little Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog game came out, I naturally googled "murder of sonic the hedgehog" to see what it was, and the sixth hit was TVTropes, and their google summary quote starts out with "Sonic was killed by XXXX using XXXX"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

VideoGames posted:

I am a HUGE fallout 4 fan - said this all over the place multiple times.

I used to live in Boston so I dig the area being very similar to my memory (condensed and appalling). Plus when I play a bethesda (or indeed any open world games) I do my own thing. I usually forget there is a main story line and I just go an explore.

I could explore in open world games forever. I want to find the secret packages and secret areas and off the road badguys and bosses. I do it whenever I can. I say on stream all the time after going between rocks or building to little areas "I would have put an item or an enemy here" just rewarding exploration.

Bethesda games are a mess, but they most often do grant those kinds of rewards. Since I beat Fallout 3 I have never done a Bethesda main story line. I got burnt once. (I had Fawkes in my party. If you know what that means, you know.)

So as a purely modded up, wandering around and seeing what shenanigans you can get into, then Fallout 4 has the best engine and best combat of the Fallouts and Skyrims. I have 300 hours in Fallout 4. Never once gone after Shaun.

I have 120 hours in Cyberpunk. Never got past act 2.

480 in Skyrim. Never picked a side for the war or explored the West and North West of the map.

I love to wander. :3:

Yeah I feel like despite the usual complaints and the fact that there are roughly 500 open world games released every day somehow none have successfully captured that 'wander around aimlessly completely ignoring the main plot, get really fixated on decorating a house you stumbled into owning, become the head of two guilds, whoops its been 100 hours maybe I'll try to do the main quest on a new character this time' gameplay that Bethesda has going on. I think its because it's one of the open worlds where most objects can be interacted with; picked up, stolen, thrown around, etc, instead of just being a static area with a couple of action prompts (or a destructible area that resets when you leave the zone, or whatever). The fact that the game has to keep track of the fork you shoved into a barrel 30 hours ago is also probably the reason all their games are buggy as poo poo, but that's the price of a strong design ethos :colbert:

Fallout 4's main quest and voiced protagonist are both pretty bad, but the fact that it's the only Fallout game with remotely good combat helps overlook that. They also do a few funny things with the VA that also help (slurring dumb poo poo when they get drunk and screaming like a mental invalid with the Idiot Savant perk mostly). They also made power armor interesting for the first time since....Fallout 1, I think? Ignoring the fact that New Vegas exists and is one of the best RPGs of all time for a minute, 4 is basically a huge improvement over Fallout 3 in every way that matters.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Skyrim is the greatest game of all time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

Zelda dies and gets converted into Link's robot arm

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Spoiling Zelda’s plot is like spoiling a Miyazaki game’s story. Yeah the land is dying because the ruler got too greedy for life/power and now I’ve got to link/snuff out the source of that power.

But if you spoiled the elevator down to the subterranean ruins I’d be pissed.

Anyway, in my first play through I’m totally gonna link the fires of rubicon. Another cycle of destruction is worth that sweet coral.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Maybe someone should just put a bullet in Ganons head. This sword mischief doesn’t work too well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jedi Survivor didn't really need to steal the stupid shrines from BoTW. They are kinda tedious.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mcmagic posted:

Jedi Survivor didn't really need to steal the stupid shrines from BoTW. They are kinda tedious.

There's like 6 of them and they take ten minutes. I enjoyed them, nice little puzzles that are just complex enough to make you go what the hell before you solve it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I liked the meditation chambers. There are only a handful and they're completely optional. You can skip them if puzzles aren't your thing and still have a character strong enough for the end game.

It's not really new to the series either. Fallen Order had the much bigger puzzle ruins that were mandatory, and they were copying the Tomb Raider reboot's ruins initially. So, if you don't like them, then good news, they took them out of the critical path for the sequel.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow I had no idea Rogue Legacy 2 didn't get a PS release. Weird. I'm guessing MS did some sort of exclusivity but it also got a switch port so...

Anyways this game rules hopefully it comes to PS soon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow I had no idea Rogue Legacy 2 didn't get a PS release. Weird. I'm guessing MS did some sort of exclusivity but it also got a switch port so...

Anyways this game rules hopefully it comes to PS soon.

I have been waiting forever. I looked it up on the Switch store but from the gameplay video I think the low res would kill me.

e: Apparently it just hit its first anniversary and they released their last content update. Maybe if there was a year-long exclusivity thing then the port might be announced soon?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 2, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Finished the Coruscant mission in Jedi Survivor. Screen tearing in performance mode has been pretty outrageous, which is a drag because all of the stuff whizzing around everywhere is really cool looking. This stuff never used to bother me that much but I've been spoiled by the last few AAA games I've played on ps5 running really well. I can tell this game is going to be a lot of fun, though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

Zelda dies and gets converted into Link's robot arm
zelda dies and is reborn as this weird tree thing voiced by david lynch

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Jedi game's good so far, I'm near the end of the main storyline got all the traversal tools and abilities.

biggest complaint is performance. it'll run fine, mostly, but drat it takes so long to load into the cantina and the texture pop in is pretty absurd considering its on PS5.

second biggest complaint is the goddamn map. hated that stupid rear end holo map in the first game, it's still utterly dogshit in this game too.

other than that the characters are great still, the story is solid if a bit weaker than the first, i shockingly love the drat cantina especially once you get dj robot to spin some beats and little scottish fisherman to make you a cool tank of fish, and oh god do i loving love the blaster / saber combo. its sooooooo satisfying, god how did i play the first game without it. there's a move you can unlock in the skill tree for it where if you shoot right as they attack (ie shoot instead of parry) you'll shotgun blast their rear end 10 yards away. gently caress saber parries, gently caress perfect dodges, perfect shotgun parry's are the light and the truth now

oh also some sick fits in this game, they got a lot better at making cool clothes for cal.

its a good sequel. i hope they make a 3rd one and really go wild with it

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 2, 2023

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I’ve heard good things about the frog

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bloodychill posted:

its an insane idiot frog voiced by invader zim, and you don't ever have to interact with him too much. he's the perfect star wars character

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Relentlessboredomm posted:

its a good sequel. i hope they make a 3rd one and really go wild with it

Haven't finished it but I'm enjoying it much more than the first game. I think the intention is to make it a trilogy and this one seems to have done well, so I think we will get it!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

JBP posted:

Haven't finished it but I'm enjoying it much more than the first game. I think the intention is to make it a trilogy and this one seems to have done well, so I think we will get it!

excellent, i really quite like the weird soulslike + nathan drake mashup they've got going.

hopefully by the 3rd they'll fix the map and stop including more of that evil giant frog thing Oggdo. They put his offspring as a trap in this one and then there's a loving tear thing where you have to fight both the OG evil frog and his offspring at the same time. Few things more satisfying than killing both of those assholes with a blaster/saber combo but also i hate them and would prefer to see them no more.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

also has anyone else run into the joke boss in Jedi yet? that made me set the controller down I was laughing so hard

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

also has anyone else run into the joke boss in Jedi yet? that made me set the controller down I was laughing so hard

Are you referring to Rick? I laughed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The frog rules. Also I didn’t realise before him that Invader Zim, Alpha 5, and Raz from Psychonauts were all the same voice actor even though it’s extremely obvious now lol

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

the other thing ive liked about this jedi series is the first one was actually my first full soulslike game. i rented sekiro on launch with zero knowledge of From or the souls formula and bounced off hard (gently caress that horse general). getting through the first jedi game is what got me up to speed enough that i tried out elden ring at launch and that was the best gaming decision ive made in ages. ive since beaten ds3 and i started bloodborne but really thought there might be a patch for it so i paused

JBP posted:

Are you referring to Rick? I laughed.

lol yes i used my trusty blaster right as i read the boss name and heard his warcry and i just could not stop laughing. it was almost exactly the scene from Raiders where Indy just shoots the dude doing crazy sword stuff

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 2, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arist posted:

Play Ghost Trick you fucks

i already played it

but it was good and if you haven't i think it's a good idea to play it. its just a Nice Game.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

man,

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and i started bloodborne but really thought there might be a patch for it so i paused

you should play bloodborne, patch or no patch it's like the best game ever made

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bloodychill posted:

It is Star Wars my dude

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I bought Dredge because Huber was so overwhelmingly hyped about it. Fishing mini-games crossed with advanced Resident Evil puzzle shape inventory management. Really, really quick loop, with a fun ship upgrade system. There's this Chthonic mystery happening, and I am afraid to touch it and mostly stick to day fishing and not relying on that engine for too long, but I'm pulling up more pulsating weird fish and I am hallucinating more rocks the longer I spend time in the fog.

I really dig the rhythm of this game so far, still in the unspooling, exploratory phase. The rate at which they're rolling out new information is really strong over the first few hours. Let's see if it holds up over the game's reported 12 hour runtime.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel like my brain must be broken since I find the map pretty reasonable in Jedi Survivor. I've been using it to find collectibles without any trouble. I thought the one in FO was completely illegible, but Survivor's is more or less the Metroid Prime map, no? Separating zones by color might be a good idea, but what's there gets the job done.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played Fallen Order all the way up to the point of no return part and then just stopped.
I felt like I had played enough, which is weird because I spent a good amount of time grabbing stuff and I was enjoying what I played I just did not see it through to the very end.

I am not really into star wars though so maybe that is the reason why. I have seen the 9 main films which are fine, and really liked the droids cartoon. However, I tried to watch the mandalorian a few times but fell asleep :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i can't believe i get to Trick a bunch of Ghosts on my playstation 5 in less than 2 months.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

I played Fallen Order all the way up to the point of no return part and then just stopped.
I felt like I had played enough, which is weird because I spent a good amount of time grabbing stuff and I was enjoying what I played I just did not see it through to the very end.

The end is really neat and not particularly hard so you might want to go revisit that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Both games landed their endings well. Survivor especially brings the spectacle for its finale.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The end of the sanctuary temple section was wild spectacle I can’t wait to see how they top that

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lol yes i used my trusty blaster right as i read the boss name and heard his warcry and i just could not stop laughing. it was almost exactly the scene from Raiders where Indy just shoots the dude doing crazy sword stuff

Haha I just grabbed him and ran him through. Almost felt bad about it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hmm, I incorrectly assumed I was at the end and only had a denouement left. Turns out this game is bigger than I thought.

It has a lot of spectacle then, not yet sure about its ending.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Can't wait to play jedi survivor next year haha

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

zelda dies and is reborn as this weird tree thing voiced by david lynch

This but David Byrne

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Instant Grat posted:

i can't believe i get to Trick a bunch of Ghosts on my playstation 5 in less than 2 months.

Its actually the other way around you're gonna ghost a bunch of tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao