Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

olives black posted:

Yeah, I'm looking around at different solutions (drawers/cases/etc.) for dealing with this problem. The Container Store has nothing last I checked, which is a bummer because I really like their vinyl crates. I live in an apartment with walls that don't take anything heavier than a framed picture, so whatever I go with needs to be free-standing.

I like these units from IKEA:

Or you could use spice racks from IKEA:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

olives black posted:

Yeah, I'm looking around at different solutions (drawers/cases/etc.) for dealing with this problem. The Container Store has nothing last I checked, which is a bummer because I really like their vinyl crates. I live in an apartment with walls that don't take anything heavier than a framed picture, so whatever I go with needs to be free-standing.

Rubbermaid 50 Gallon "Brute"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

afen posted:

I like these units from IKEA:

I don't think the spice racks would hold on my walls very well, but that cabinet looks legit

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

olives black posted:

The Container Store has nothing last I checked, which is a bummer because I really like their vinyl crates.

I call upon The Container Store to recognize the cassette tape fan community. We are valid.

Actually those spice racks look great, nevermind.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I still have those wooden things that hang on the wall, they hold 100 cassettes each. I have two of them and I think I bought them at Musicland in the early 1990's. :)

You can still buy them for $50 each:

https://kingdom.com/100-capacity-wood-cassette-rack-unfinished-wood.html

I painted mine with Mars Black Liquitex Artist's Acrylic, with glow in the dark paint stripes. (I have excellent taste.)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm going to settle this. I'm a grumpy old man who grew up with vinyl records and 8-tracks and cassettes, and looking back now I can state unequivocally that analog media... loving sucks. Give me digital every day.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Presto posted:

I'm going to settle this. I'm a grumpy old man who grew up with vinyl records and 8-tracks and cassettes, and looking back now I can state unequivocally that analog media... loving sucks. Give me digital every day.

what led you down this dark path

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Bula Vinaka posted:

The Technics RS-B965 that I mentioned earlier has dbx instead of Dolby S, which is better!

dang didnt even know of DBX

what deck would you recommend price/performance-wise? something around 300 bucks tops in tip tip shape?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

afen posted:

holy poo poo

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

olives black posted:

what led you down this dark path

The unarguable fact that analog media is poo poo.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Presto posted:

The unarguable fact that analog media is poo poo.

Okay I'm curious now - are you all in on FLAC from Bandcamp and similar sites, all streaming, or some mix of the two? What's your setup like?

olives black fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 1, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bula Vinaka posted:

I still have those wooden things that hang on the wall, they hold 100 cassettes each. I have two of them and I think I bought them at Musicland in the early 1990's. :)

I painted mine with Mars Black Liquitex Artist's Acrylic, with glow in the dark paint stripes. (I have excellent taste.)

Very tempted to get this, but apparently they're supposed to be stored vertically for maximum longevity :ohdear:

edit: maybe i could just turn it sideways

olives black fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 1, 2023

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Bula Vinaka posted:

gently caress. i need this. wonder what shipping to sweden would end up costing... probably more than the rack itself :(

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I really wish that National Audio Company would get their act together and fix whatever's wrong with their process for the C256 FerroMaster. I'd love to bulk order some new Type 1 tapes, but every review that I've read on them has said that they're abysmal.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I got a WM-GX51 and have seen a few traces online of cassette nerds saying the mechanism in it isn't great. Any expert know what I'm supposed to watch out for? Why the rep?There's a dude in slovakia selling cnc-machined clutch gear replacements, if that's a clue.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I got a WM-GX51 and have seen a few traces online of cassette nerds saying the mechanism in it isn't great. Any expert know what I'm supposed to watch out for? Why the rep?There's a dude in slovakia selling cnc-machined clutch gear replacements, if that's a clue.

Sorry, not an expert. Just offering the suggestion that you run a cheap blank through it for an hour or two and listen for any bad noises (like the mechanism is struggling, for example).

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

AEMINAL posted:

gently caress. i need this. wonder what shipping to sweden would end up costing... probably more than the rack itself :(

Yeah, it looks really nice. I'm almost certainly going to run out of slots within weeks of getting it, though.

Wondering if I shouldn't just save up some cash and pay a freelancer carpenter to build me something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah see again, you're discounting people who don't like it and do see it as flaws. You can like cassette and all the not flaws it has, but you should probably also consider that people are allowed different takes and some people think cassette sounds like poo poo.

Personally I hate them because of the fragility, not sound reasons. And also honestly I just stream music now. They sound fine tho.

I can't tell the difference between a CD and a cassette unless the cassette is in really bad shape so for me it's like, I don't care then about the extra edge CDs bring. So for some of us we simply don't got any audiophile pretensions and where blessed not having to deal with crap like that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

How do you go to the next track on cassette? Can you press a "next" button or you do you have to fastforward? Because that sounds like it would be really annoying.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This tech was basically me and my older brother taping top forty radio and us doing skits in between songs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Caesar Saladin posted:

How do you go to the next track on cassette? Can you press a "next" button or you do you have to fastforward? Because that sounds like it would be really annoying.

If you're really dedicated you write the tape counter number next to each track on the J card.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Caesar Saladin posted:

Some good ones had a FF/REW that detected pauses and would stop at the breaks between tracks. Especially car players had this.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Think I might put some more effort into the OP soon. There's some cool stuff coming down the pipe!

New portable tape player is available for pre-order and ships in a couple of weeks. The previous model was audiophile approved:

https://youtu.be/vS-4EhkU-m8

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

olives black posted:

Think I might put some more effort into the OP soon. There's some cool stuff coming down the pipe!

New portable tape player is available for pre-order and ships in a couple of weeks. The previous model was audiophile approved:

https://youtu.be/vS-4EhkU-m8

Looks cool but is it based on the "techmoan special" mechanism?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Looks cool but is it based on the "techmoan special" mechanism?

Yes, you can see our old friend The Spring peeking out left of center. It's a dead giveaway.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Those mechanisms don't have to be too lovely, but there's a lot of variation between them. I had a very cheap stereo set component with that mechanism, and although i found it too lovely to use as a hifi component, i think it's adequate for portable use.
The main thing is having a good head. The one in the stereo component sounded pretty thin and lifeless.

I also have a boombox with dual mechanisms like that driven from a single motor. That's a bad idea. 1 motor, 2 mechanisms, 4 belts is a recipe for uncontrollable wow and flutter. I removed the belt to one of the mechanisms and now it's acceptable for boombox use.

They'll never be great, but they can be adequate.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021
Cassettes were fun but let's be real, when they'd get all jammed up in the reels and you'd have to try to get the tape out of the reading head and put it all back in the cassette by spinning the thing with your finger. That poo poo all sucked. Mix tapes were fun though.

CD's are dumb, all my old ones have holes in them now. Plus if you're listening to ones and zeroes you might as use a digital library on a pc or phone.

Vinyl is best for collecting. I have some from the 60's that still play alright. Art and liner notes the size of a calendar is pretty good.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

wait for it posted:

Cassettes were fun but let's be real, when they'd get all jammed up in the reels and you'd have to try to get the tape out of the reading head and put it all back in the cassette by spinning the thing with your finger. That poo poo all sucked. Mix tapes were fun though.

CD's are dumb, all my old ones have holes in them now. Plus if you're listening to ones and zeroes you might as use a digital library on a pc or phone.

Vinyl is best for collecting. I have some from the 60's that still play alright. Art and liner notes the size of a calendar is pretty good.

I like records too but some stuff (like DJ mixes, instrumental beat tapes and such) works best on cassette. But yeah vinyl's definitely more of a standard for posterity, like I've got a 1960 45 that plays like new.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Can't remember when a tape did that to me last time though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I like records too but some stuff (like DJ mixes, instrumental beat tapes and such) works best on cassette. But yeah vinyl's definitely more of a standard for posterity, like I've got a 1960 45 that plays like new.

neat thrift store finds, too. I got this one called DISCO GOLD #4 that was new in packaging from somwhere in the late 70's/early 80's (no dates anywhere), and it's a bunch of unlicensed covers of huge disco songs, some good, some (people who can't sing like the Brothers Gibb covering the Brothers Gibb) not so good, made by some company called Dimensional Sound. I thought I was just getting a vinyl mix, didn't realizing I was getting a bunch of unique, unlicensed covers by uncredited artists lol.

Looking it up, looks like 1978.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Jungle mixes have always sucked on cassette

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

did anyone say mini disc yet

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ArmZ posted:

did anyone say mini disc yet

page 1

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I've been wondering about horizontal vs. vertical storage for cassette longevity. Just tripped over this thread and the first post says "popcorn time" lol the thread is only one page long and everyone is quite mild-mannered in it

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My best tape moment was popping this into the car, while my mom was driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UOC0C0x8Q

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Continuing with storage chat - found these last night

https://youtu.be/wGs7IyrukPU

Zeluth posted:

My best tape moment was popping this into the car, while my mom was driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UOC0C0x8Q

Good song :) how did your mom react?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
She knows me better than myself. Gave me a Walkman as freshmen.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
OP you can CDs nutz

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Incitatus posted:

OP you can CDs nutz

:maga:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Other cassette points:

Anybody learn to do proper tape re-animation? I was digitizing some really old audio letters from the early to late 70s between now-deceased in-laws, which is a cool idea considering the time - not like you could afford to phone the South Pacific from Europe. Anyway I discovered it was easy as gently caress to fix a broken tape. Just crack it open and tape it back into the uptake reel or do a cheapo splice job with some scotch tape. Stretched tape is more annoying but fixable digitally (see I'm not a luddite).

Another thing I used to do on cassette back in the day was sort of ... cut n paste mixes without the cutting. I had a combination CD/tape/AM/FM thing by my bed and would stay up late nights listening to weird college radio stations, top 40, NPR, whatever and record short snippets in a sort of live, linear collage of anything I found interesting, or interesting to manipulate in that way. I'm talking mostly actual noisy collage; very rarely did I let something run for more than a few seconds. I made like 10 tapes of this, some 12-13 hours I think. It's fun to listen back to as an artifact of what radio was like then, what was in the news, what was being advertised, what music was out there, but also for some real moments of insane synchronicity in the act of live collaging. Unfortunately like most stuff I do there's an audience of approximately 1 for poo poo like that. I did this for much of 1999-2003 and in fits and starts since then. Tape 11 is still in progress actually, but it's been like 6 years since I've added to it.