Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Had a CD player in high school. It was fine. Skipped all the drat time, ate batteries like popcorn, but it got the job done.

Briefly got stupid with buying vinyl. Fine for listening when you're just vegging out in a chair, has the most space for cool artwork, but expensive as gently caress.

Cassettes are the best, and here's why:

1. Pick one up. Gently shake it a bit. Hear that rattle? That's the stuff :gizz:
2. Aww, did you drop it? No big deal! They're durable. If it was a CD it's gonna sk-sk-skip forever now unless you run it through cdparanoia, get lucky with the error correction and burn a new copy. If it's a record it's just hosed permanently now, nice way to set $30 on fire idiot
3. Listen to that gentle hiss before the music starts. That's a cool morning breeze for your ears. Let it gently caress your ear canals.
4. Wanna pause the track for a minute? Just hit stop! Don't worry about draining your batteries to keep the disc spinning.
5. Only got $20? Hit up an underground label! Buy 2-3 albums for the price of one CD, plus shipping.
6. You're not paralyzed with choice. You pick exactly one album to spend time with or make your own 90-minute mix. Or carry a fanny pack with an extra tape, no judgments I guess but you do look like a clown
7. If whatever you're listening to doesn't benefit from a little distortion or can't fit in a Type 1 cassette's frequency range then it's wank. Get it outta here :sweep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Its not, but you can use the way it peaks to have certain better noise music and loud or demo metal benefits as well. Or benefited,

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dont agree op however i do love old machines so i still use the cassette deck in my 83 rx7 cause it's fun to use antiquated technology in daily use

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
:lol: if you “pay” for music.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

altho tbf an old car is probably the only place you'll find a cassette deck anymore and old cars loving rule so maybe i agree with you op

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I think you're forgetting 8-track.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I loved my walkman because two AA batteries could last like 6 months of daily use vs my CD player that would eat 4 batteries an hour.

That was the only advantage it had though. The ever present tape hiss. Tapes broke all the drat time I was always taking those stupid things apart and splicing tape back together and poo poo. Every time you played a tape you reduced it's life a little bit just like vinyl but without any of the character.

Not having to rely on physical media is the only good way to listen to music.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Minidisc was the best, dork.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

actually the best is using the cassette deck in a old car except with a bluetooth cassette and i just stream whatever tf i want to it

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This is only good on cassette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47XD64CaPxc

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I found Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock by Talk Talk on tape in a Goodwill one time

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's fun to use antiquated technology in daily use

When they invented these, they didn’t plan on a good prostate milking!

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
You get a tape for your birthday from a band that sucks? No problem! Tape over the holes on the top corners of the cassette and now you have a free blank tape to record terrible songs from the radio onto!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is when 8-track got too familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXRV4MezEw

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tristesse posted:

I loved my walkman because two AA batteries could last like 6 months of daily use vs my CD player that would eat 4 batteries an hour.

In my experience, unless Walkman batteries were like 95% alive or better, the tape would sound all weird and slow, whereas the CDs in my Discman sounded completely normal until the batteries were completely dead.

edit: Also, I never used a Discman that required more than two batteries or used them up extremely quickly. Did I just get lucky or something?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
When you used to tape on a tape the things you loved those days

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

when i was still in a band, so like 7 years ago, some punk and indie bands were starting to release their EPs on cassette. like trying to one up how everyone releases on vinyl now. except vinyl still sounds good and tapes sound poo poo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

when i was still in a band, so like 7 years ago, some punk and indie bands were starting to release their EPs on cassette. like trying to one up how everyone releases on vinyl now. except vinyl still sounds good and tapes sound poo poo.

can't play a record in ur car. cassettes win again

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

You get a tape for your birthday from a band that sucks? No problem! Tape over the holes on the top corners of the cassette and now you have a free blank tape to record terrible songs from the radio onto!

these people get it

this is pretty I like it :)

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

:wrong:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/amazing-photos-of-a-time-when-cars-had-record-players/

:smugbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol but also gently caress you

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

just lol if you think that poo poo actually worked as advertised

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yeah it did probably suck. i don't actually like vinyl tbh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

paying a grip to add an accessory to my car that plays a bespoke record format except badly and it skips

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I got a Yamaha dual cassette deck at a thrift store for like $20. It sounded lovely until I cleaned the play heads with cotton swabs soaked in alcohol and it works like a charm! I’m glad I kept my box if tapes all these years because it’s fun to hear some of the old mixes and poo poo I held on to, plus I like supporting new artists by buying their tapes. Cassettes rule!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ralph Hurley posted:

I got a Yamaha dual cassette deck at a thrift store for like $20. It sounded lovely until I cleaned the play heads with cotton swabs soaked in alcohol and it works like a charm! I’m glad I kept my box if tapes all these years because it’s fun to hear some of the old mixes and poo poo I held on to, plus I like supporting new artists by buying their tapes. Cassettes rule!

:hellyeah:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I agree so much that in addition to spending $300 on a refurb'd TEAC reel to reel last summer, I spent $350 on this silly bullshit

it's not the most useful thing in my rack but it's the funniest. Also it's got a gate in / tru so you can use it as a weird drum machine pretty easily, also works super well with looptapes, obviously

here's about 1/3 of our cassette collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVon_9VmMEc

here's my favorite cassette-based ambient performance

https://heimatderkatastrophe.bandcamp.com/

This is my favorite label who make regular cassette releases, mostly a mix of dungeon core and soviet-bloc inspired synthwave.

CASSETTE LIFE

e: new, sealed, Maxwell Gold tapes from the 90s era eBay for about 30% more than they cost new, inflation adjusted :allears:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i had a copy of rio by duran duran that sat around in a hot car for too long and the tape got warped and it really improved the album. "the chauffeur" especially is great with just a little extra warble.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJSHQDI3vJ8&t=10s

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

The heads is what no one makes, there's like one place that makes poo poo ones.

So any new tape player is an instant dudd.

Keeping old ones alive is the best way.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

How did they make the music work on both sides of it

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
cassettes rule

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Sex Farm posted:

How did they make the music work on both sides of it

the tape is split down the middle, side A is on one side, side B is on the other. It's not on the front and back of the tape that would not work at all.

let's not forget about VideoDisc. I don't mean LaserDisc, I mean video disc, which was literally "cassette technology but on a spinning platter inside a cartridge, used for 240p video content". It was like the unholy mashup of a tape deck, a record player and a VHS machine (which this predated IIRC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Wiki uses 3rd Encounters as their example graphic, which was probably one of the discs we had. My dad got the machine because some local store had a deal where if you bought one, you got 2 free rentals a week for a year.

I think I watched The Last Unicorn so many times that I burned up like 10-20% of those 104 free rentals on it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I havent seen a car with a cassette player in years

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Mr.Acula posted:

Have you ever seen a car with an aux in and do you know what a walkman is? :elon:

Alternately if you only have Bluetooth you can get a RCA to BT transmitter for about fifteen bucks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

yeah they're mostly in vintage cars tbf but i'm into that poo poo. only that ultra fail record player thing that panic at the tesco posted (due to him being a vile vinyl lover and he's obsessed with listening to it even in grotesque ways like in the car) is comparabale on the record side. cassette players were ubiquitous for a long time, even in the 90s when CD tech reached its zenith

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Acula posted:

Thats on you

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
cd walkman (with caselogic binder full of burned cds) to car cassette adapter to tape deck in Camry. Front seat passenger was DJ

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

cd walkman (with caselogic binder full of burned cds) to car cassette adapter to tape deck in Camry. Front seat passenger was DJ

lol this is like the worst possible combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

lol this is like the worst possible combo

In a later vehicle (a Tacoma) the tape adapter became stuck in the slot and I left it there with the wire dangling for like 10 years