Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Giving Elon Musk your driver's license number seems like a smart idea to you? :crossarms:

no, thats a different topic of discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Which means recruiting someone out of an adjacent industry: social media tech? Or more video game management jumping over? And I don't see that putting them in any better position to monitor consumer feedback or respond to major industry blowups WotC gets caught in.

gotta get the guy from Blizzard whose job it is to make a character gay every time there are new sexual harassment allegations

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Which means recruiting someone out of an adjacent industry: social media tech? Or more video game management jumping over? And I don't see that putting them in any better position to monitor consumer feedback or respond to major industry blowups WotC gets caught in.

It’s going to have to be a community manager from a long running VG series like Call of Duty, WoW, Eve, or something. It hits a different part of the nerd niche, but the basic challenges of 1) transactional management of crisis understood by leadership - the evil assholes in charge of Activision are significantly bigger pricks then has been let on in public, the PR team there has to be amazing, 2) leveraging the parasocial relationships / goodwill between WotC and the community for “good vibes” and cover - very similarly to how a MMO operates.

Anyone outside of an existing corporate communications team would be stymied in making any changes and ultimately throw in the towel. More importantly the hiring team would know this and they’d never get anything beyond a courtesy interview.

Having left VG Dev some time ago that industry is full of generic white dudes. I doubt tradgames is any different. But the skills is keeping the base happy would translate.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gotta get the guy from Blizzard whose job it is to make a character gay every time there are new sexual harassment allegations

Its transactional. One trans character makes up for about 6 bottles of breastmilk stolen.

To be honest, I kid, but most business people I've met do think in these terms and its weird

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nystral posted:

It’s going to have to be a community manager from a long running VG series like Call of Duty, WoW, Eve, or something. It hits a different part of the nerd niche, but the basic challenges of 1) transactional management of crisis understood by leadership - the evil assholes in charge of Activision are significantly bigger pricks then has been let on in public, the PR team there has to be amazing, 2) leveraging the parasocial relationships / goodwill between WotC and the community for “good vibes” and cover - very similarly to how a MMO operates.

Anyone outside of an existing corporate communications team would be stymied in making any changes and ultimately throw in the towel. More importantly the hiring team would know this and they’d never get anything beyond a courtesy interview.

Having left VG Dev some time ago that industry is full of generic white dudes. I doubt tradgames is any different. But the skills is keeping the base happy would translate.

That's a good point, a priority would be someone who could navigate business executive-ese first and foremost, while also juggling PR on the consumer-side. Not necessarily in an effective way, but at least a soothing one on both sides. It'll be interesting to see who is hired in that position.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Chaos option: refer more Pinkertons. It's worked out so far.

https://gizmodo.com/magic-the-gathering-leaks-wizards-wotc-pinkertons-1850374546 posted:

There are other connections between Wizards of the Coast and the Pinkerton agency. Robin M. Klimek, who has been the Director Security Risk Management at Hasbro, Inc. for 12 years, was previously the Director of Supply Chain Security Practice at Pinkerton Consulting & Investigations. The current Manager of Global Investigations is also a former Pinkerton agent.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's a good point, a priority would be someone who could navigate business executive-ese first and foremost, while also juggling PR on the consumer-side. Not necessarily in an effective way, but at least a soothing one on both sides. It'll be interesting to see who is hired in that position.

Chaos option: refer more Pinkertons. It's worked out so far.

Physical corporate security is highly insular. Ex-cops hire ex-cops, physical security execs move over to the clients who in turn kick back work to their former employers.

If you’ve ever been on the consulting side of a big 4 accounting (KPMG / E&Y / etc) it’s the same thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nystral posted:

Can WotC pay (successful) MMO level money though? Getting someone good at putting out fires who is happy knowing they'll never be allowed to put out the pilot lights doesn't come cheap.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

Can WotC pay (successful) MMO level money though? Getting someone good at putting out fires who is happy knowing they'll never be allowed to put out the pilot lights doesn't come cheap.

They almost certainly can, right? Whether they will is a different story.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Splicer posted:

For an executive? Yeah absolutely. Hasbro and Activision's quarterly/annual revenues aren't that far apart.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're pretty much checking a block on the list of "what companies do after bad PR," though.

There's really no need to do that since "the community" has shown an absolutely unwaivering willingness to downplay any and every turd that D&D or MtG step in.

When the alternative is learning a new system, you'd be surprised how quickly gamers can look past Pinkertons, rapists, racists, abusers, and missing stairs.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

When the alternative is learning a new system, you'd be surprised how quickly gamers can look past Pinkertons, rapists, racists, abusers, and missing stairs.

Gotta have my magic

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Video games pay almost as poorly as tabletop games. I have had recruiters apologize for referring me to Blizzard jobs. There are exceptions but WotC can and will pay enough to get a good communications pro.

In this case since the job’s available to people in Washington we can check and…

Compensation Range
$149,680—$256,800 USD

For comparison, Live Nation is hiring a Director of Communication right now at $120,000 - $150,000. Coinbase is hiring a manager level comms person for $195,000 - $230,000. So it depends where the offer falls on the range WotC is offering but in general they’re in the ballpark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I appreciate you associating WOTC with a bitcoin firm.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I appreciate you associating WOTC with a bitcoin firm.

And Ticketmaster.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I remember when people called it T$R

And then they were T_R

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Its transactional. One trans character makes up for about 6 bottles of breastmilk stolen.

To be honest, I kid, but most business people I've met do think in these terms and its weird

I've said it before and will say it again: The primary qualification for an MBA appears to be clinical sociopathy, and those are the people making most of the decisions in modern capitalism.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thanlis posted:

Video games pay almost as poorly as tabletop games. I have had recruiters apologize for referring me to Blizzard jobs. There are exceptions but WotC can and will pay enough to get a good communications pro.

In this case since the job’s available to people in Washington we can check and…

Compensation Range
$149,680—$256,800 USD

For comparison, Live Nation is hiring a Director of Communication right now at $120,000 - $150,000. Coinbase is hiring a manager level comms person for $195,000 - $230,000. So it depends where the offer falls on the range WotC is offering but in general they’re in the ballpark.
Just lol at spending a quarter of a million a year plus benefits to avoid Crawford having to talk to POC.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've said it before and will say it again: The primary qualification for an MBA appears to be clinical sociopathy, and those are the people making most of the decisions in modern capitalism.

It is definitely what I learned when getting my own MBA, which I don't use and regret, because I'm not an evil person. But the classes were definitely filled with evil people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
apropos of nothing but "3 Action Economist" is a pro-tier username

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

gradenko_2000 posted:

apropos of nothing but "3 Action Economist" is a pro-tier username

Thank you.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Splicer posted:

Just lol at spending a quarter of a million a year plus benefits to avoid Crawford having to talk to POC.

Hm.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Fuckin' wild how there's talk of Hasbro circling the bowl when it has multiple movies about Transformers coming out but I guess that's Hollywood Accounting/capitalism for you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

3 Action Economist posted:

It is definitely what I learned when getting my own MBA, which I don't use and regret, because I'm not an evil person. But the classes were definitely filled with evil people.
I don't have a link, but there was some study in Denmark that compared people with business degrees to those who didn't. It found that the only difference between the two groups was that the former were more likely to oppress their employees. Having an MBA conferred, on average, zero business acumen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NGDBSS posted:

I don't have a link, but there was some study in Denmark that compared people with business degrees to those who didn't. It found that the only difference between the two groups was that the former were more likely to oppress their employees. Having an MBA conferred, on average, zero business acumen.

The point of an MBA is to signal your class allegiance.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

LashLightning posted:

Fuckin' wild how there's talk of Hasbro circling the bowl when it has multiple movies about Transformers coming out but I guess that's Hollywood Accounting/capitalism for you.

Psnic investors, drop stock price, buy up stpck etc

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

It seems to me that the key problems in recent months at Wizards have been: hugely loving up communicating their draft revised license deal and the blowback from people's reaction to it; the 30th anniversary $1000 magic the gathering product and the customers' reaction to it; and now, the deplorable response to a youtuber spoiling a set not yet at distributors by sending the pinkertons, and how the public has reacted to that, and Wizards' failure to respond to the public backlash in a reasonable manner.

I'm not recalling an issue with Crawford not talking to people of color? Is that from a while back?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 2, 2023

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not recalling an issue with Crawford not talking to people of color? Is that from a while back?

I'm assuming it's referring to the incidents with Orion Black and PanzerLion

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Lumbermouth posted:

There was also some controversy when he mush mouthed his point about half races and all the reactionary chuds in the space pounced on it dragging out some horrible discourse about people who are mixed race.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Not as dramatic as Pinkertons, but Paizo recently announced it was licensing the first Pathfinder 2e computer game, based on the Abomination Vaults AP.

The idea of a proper XCOM style tactical game using the PF2e system fascinated people for a while until it turned out that the game is a Diablo clone and thus the Edition update is barely significant (and most of the AP is too)

Cue lots of drama about presenting RPGs to wider groups by showing things that are not the RPG.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Psnic investors, drop stock price, buy up stpck etc

Are you hsving a strpke? Do you smell tpast?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

hyphz posted:

Not as dramatic as Pinkertons, but Paizo recently announced it was licensing the first Pathfinder 2e computer game, based on the Abomination Vaults AP.

The idea of a proper XCOM style tactical game using the PF2e system fascinated people for a while until it turned out that the game is a Diablo clone and thus the Edition update is barely significant (and most of the AP is too)

Cue lots of drama about presenting RPGs to wider groups by showing things that are not the RPG.

I don't understand how this is even vaguely in the next country as the conversation about WotC and the Pinkertons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Are you hsving a strpke? Do you smell tpast?
Buy stonk? Bye, stonk!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

It seems to me that the key problems in recent months at Wizards have been: hugely loving up communicating their draft revised license deal and the blowback from people's reaction to it; the 30th anniversary $1000 magic the gathering product and the customers' reaction to it; and now, the deplorable response to a youtuber spoiling a set not yet at distributors by sending the pinkertons, and how the public has reacted to that, and Wizards' failure to respond to the public backlash in a reasonable manner.

No….

The key problem is that the Suits at WotC don’t think any of those initial actions - revising the license / $1000 mtg 30 / pinkertons - was the wrong direction to take at the time.

They’re so out of touch with us - the terminally online community- that they don’t even realize that it could look bad. But also we’re not the target audience of these things, so in their minds we don’t matter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. /\/\ oh yes, absolutely, but "problems" I'm referring to here are whatever Wizards hopes to solve by hiring a media manager, and see below:

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh, I understood the Orion Black issue to be internal mismanagement/racism about an employee and their contributions and interactions with staff, and not something that a media manager would have been involved in. Unless I guess it'd be the response, after the fact, when Orion posted his callout?

I don't remember the PanzerLion thing.

Regardless, I guess the idea that hiring a media manager is being done instead of much needed internal reform, is valid, since it seems to track with Wizards' approach to problems so far.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I don't remember the PanzerLion thing.

With PanzerLion, he wrote an adventure for Candlekeep Mysteries, and then without consulting him at all, in the published version "The plot was 80% missing and problematic colonialist language and imagery had been inserted."
He's since asked for his name to be removed from future printings.

https://pocgamer.com/archives/1426

https://pocgamer.com/archives/1429

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. If only Wizards had a media manager, they could have... uh...

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

To bring some conversation points over from the Pathfinder thread, Abomination Vaults is the best fit for this kind of ARPG. It's an ominous dungeon with a small town on top, that's basically the set-up for Diablo and 90% of Diablo-likes. If you're going to turn an adventure path into a video game that isn't another big top down Baldur's Gate-alike, it's a very good choice. The drama is just because... well, everyone loves the Owlcat games and they're excited to get more Baldur's Gate-esque games that remix adventure paths into something new and better, and they want one that uses 2e's mechanics. And I'm confident we'll get more of those eventually, they're too popular not to. But we're not getting one right now and people are salty.

(I doubt Owlcat are going to be the ones making it when it does come out, both because they've moved on to bigger things than being Paizo's house video game developer and because they're 3.5 nerds who aren't as interested in working with PF 2e. But they'll figure something out.)

And yeah, this isn't as big of a deal as everything with WotC, but c'mon. It's a minor industry news story and we need things to talk about besides how much corporations suck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They hosed up a little by doing a teasing Twitter reveal with a "tee hee Abomination Vaults is getting a videogame tee hee" instead of immediately going WE ARE MAKING AN ARPG, THIS IS NOT A CRPG, REPEAT THIS IS NOT A CRPG so people got their hopes up for a day or so.

Once you move past that, the actual game looks alright, if you're into Diablolikes. I wish them well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vire posted:

If WotC winked out that would be the end of Hasbro. The last few years they have accounted for the majority of the entire companies profits. The other divisions of Hasbro are having a really hard time. Mattel's toy division is also struggling but doing better then Hasbro's. The shareholders have actually noticed this and Altafox which owns 2.5% of the company has been pushing for WotC to spin off because they feel like the rest of the company is a sinking ship. Like I think the last few years I think they account for 70% of their total profit. The majority of it is from Magic.

Just lol at quoting Altafox. That guy's a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Toshimo posted:

Just lol at quoting Altafox. That guy's a lunatic.

That's the guy who lobbies constantly to split off Wizards of the Coast into its own company because he thinks he'll get a big payday out of that happening, right? Is there anything else crazy he's done besides be some insufferable money-gambling investor type?