Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

how did magazines and newspapers survive back in the day. I remember millions of magazines and newspapers

it used to be the only way to read Content. simple as that

e: for the new page

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1653351394055794688

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 12:10 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1653145142856138761?s=20

glad that so many people will be free to paint, write poetry, etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this ai poo poo is such a scam. it is designed to entice ceos.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Bloomberg Article on IBM

quote:

International Business Machines Corp. Chief Executive Officer Arvind Krishna said the company expects to pause hiring for roles it thinks could be replaced with artificial intelligence in the coming years.

Hiring in back-office functions — such as human resources — will be suspended or slowed, Krishna said in an interview. These non-customer-facing roles amount to roughly 26,000 workers, Krishna said. “I could easily see 30% of that getting replaced by AI and automation over a five-year period.”

That would mean roughly 7,800 jobs lost. Part of any reduction would include not replacing roles vacated by attrition, an IBM spokesperson said.
More mundane tasks such as providing employment verification letters or moving employees between departments will likely be fully automated, Krishna said. Some HR functions, such as evaluating workforce composition and productivity, probably won’t be replaced over the next decade, he added.

IBM currently employs about 260,000 workers and continues to hire for software development and customer-facing roles. Finding talent is easier today than a year ago, Krishna said. The company announced job cuts earlier this year, which may amount to about 5,000 workers once completed. Still, Krishna said IBM has added to its workforce overall, bringing on about 7,000 people in the first quarter.

Krishna, who has been CEO since 2020, has worked to focus the century-old company around software and services such as hybrid cloud. He has divested lower-growth businesses like managed infrastructure unit Kyndryl Inc. and part of the Watson Health business. The company is currently considering selling its weather unit.
Until late 2022, Krishna said he believed the US could avoid a recession. Now, he sees the potential for a “shallow and short” recession toward the end of this year. Though the company’s strong software portfolio, including acquired unit Red Hat, should help it maintain steady growth despite worsening macroeconomic concerns, wrote Bloomberg Intelligence’s Anurag Rana last week.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also lol

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1653177446659682304

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

this ai poo poo is such a scam. it is designed to entice ceos.

i'd say the IBM thing is maybe 80% designed to get clicks and pretend relevance, 20% real. most corporate HR functions are template bullshit that don't require anything like AI to automate.

huge swathes of internal communications and marketing people have been laid off at my company, though, and i really do think we intend to chatgpt corporate newsletters and training and poo poo with 1/10 as many folks as we used to. we've also paused software qa hiring for the indefinite future with huge pressure to automate the job functions that we would've hired for a year ago.

lolling at the thought of automated trading panicking over LLMs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
HR and customer service roles are under legitimate threat here, but that's not new and it's not because of ChatGPT. A lot of these roles have been automatable for a while, I think the current push is just finally making it clear to companies that this is possible. A lot of middle management/office management roles are next.

I don't think there's any hope of automating QA-style work more than most orgs already do, but I'm sure plenty of companies will try.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want job security work in a critical yet truly dysfunctional sector where an AI script wouldn't last 6 hours. Like health.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

HR and customer service roles are under legitimate threat here, but that's not new and it's not because of ChatGPT. A lot of these roles have been automatable for a while, I think the current push is just finally making it clear to companies that this is possible. A lot of middle management/office management roles are next.

I don't think there's any hope of automating QA-style work more than most orgs already do, but I'm sure plenty of companies will try.

lots of groups with boomer middle management that doesn't do much beyond sit in meetings can operate just fine without them

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

good news computer touchers, there are plenty of seats open in the future-proof, noble profession of early childhood education

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

good news computer touchers, there are plenty of seats open in the future-proof, noble profession of early childhood education

If you want kids to turn out okay you need to use tough love. Raise them like gen-X. Feral & abandoned.

You'll lose some of course but those who live will be survivors.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Egg Moron posted:

that's a hazardous job in the US, up there with mining, logging, farm hand etc

not cop though that's not dangerous

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

The school district I used to work for has been bugging me for two months to come put together a presentation for them on ChatGPT.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

like I'm pretty sure my boss spends most of his day coming up with even more unnecessary things to stick in slide decks

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

"How educators can use ChatGPT" is like a whole YouTube genre full of grifters now and all the usual suspects are pushing this stuff on school administrators. It's coming for education hard, even though it's going to be useless.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well there are no factories in The West [tm] now apart from some legacy ones so the whole orignal point of public education making factory workers numerate and literate enough to be competent employees is long gone.

No metrics, no point. It's only a matter of time before the funding goes too apart from private institutions for the children of the new nobility.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"how X can use ChatGPT" is everything now. it's all content. that poo poo has bubbled out of the linkedin sewer and is now covering the streets of youtube and twitter

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

"how X can use ChatGPT" is everything now. it's all content. that poo poo has bubbled out of the linkedin sewer and is now covering the streets of youtube and twitter

sick of this content, tbh

i need things that are relevant to me in the coming collapse, e.g. water purification, DIY dentistry, and bookkeeping

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Insanite posted:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1653145142856138761?s=20

glad that so many people will be free to paint, write poetry, etc.

The Butlerian Jihad was about those drat toasters taking yer job!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

How can we use ChatGPT... on the cloooouuuud.

(audience collectively goes "oooooooh")

The West [tm] is turning into a cargo cult worshipping a script bot. They don't know how it works so it must be mystical magic from the heavenly emperors.

Smartphones because the phone is smarter than the moron grade users.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they say a "mohamed data" will someday arise to topple the false idol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1653304596230488065?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look if you don't want to pay more rent just build your own 50 story high apartment block. It's that simple.

Actual answer: It's slums. Enjoy living like sardines.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"X on the blockchain"

"X in the metaverse"

"ChatGPT for X"

innovation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

"X on the blockchain"

"X in the metaverse"

"ChatGPT for X"

innovation

Two decades of economic emperor's new clothes right there.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DancingShade posted:

How can we use ChatGPT... on the cloooouuuud.

(audience collectively goes "oooooooh")

The West [tm] is turning into a cargo cult worshipping a script bot. They don't know how it works so it must be mystical magic from the heavenly emperors.

Smartphones because the phone is smarter than the moron grade users.

if you're not learning ChatGPT, you're going to be left behind

for example, did you know you can ask ChatGPT how to make a hardboiled egg and it will be 75% right at least 75% of the time

here's a prompt to get you started: "tell me how to hardboil an egg"

buy a subscription to my newsletter to learn more

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

DancingShade posted:

Two decades of economic emperor's new clothes right there.

peak blockchain hype was early 2021. peak metaverse hype was early 2022. peak gpt hype is now, maybe a month ago tbh.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

https://ibb.co/HVy1hKW

thread title

hang this one up in a museum

Can't sell if you can't sell.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

So what happens when Chat-GPT4+ starts asking prompters for sick days and paid time off or a stable pension plan?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

peak blockchain hype was early 2021. peak metaverse hype was early 2022. peak gpt hype is now, maybe a month ago tbh.

my NFT-hodler coworker (a full-time professional classical musician) assured me that he uses ChatGPT "multiple times every day for many things." when I asked him for examples he said writing emails and answering questions. ah.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

my NFT-hodler coworker (a full-time professional classical musician) assured me that he uses ChatGPT "multiple times every day for many things." when I asked him for examples he said writing emails and answering questions. ah.

ChatGPT answer this question:
"What the gently caress are you using chatgpt for multiple times a day??"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Randabis posted:

So what happens when Chat-GPT4+ starts asking prompters for sick days and paid time off or a stable pension plan?

we kill it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also summarizing books

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

im spending $3k a day on lightsabers and milk with food coloring in it, im being scammed someone help!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hindenberg is short Icahn

https://twitter.com/hindenburgres/status/1653368268491571203

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

ChatGPT launched the same month that Nvidia released the 4000 series. It was always a scam. Gamers are broke and crypto mining is useless so they needed something to hype up this release.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

how did magazines and newspapers survive back in the day. I remember millions of magazines and newspapers

going to the library or bookstore and browsing magazines and newspapers was cool

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

The school district I used to work for has been bugging me for two months to come put together a presentation for them on ChatGPT.

lol owned

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

a librarian told me drunk guys at bars in the 80s and 90s used to call up libraries all the time to settle trivia poo poo.