Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the best and funniest thing they could do is automatically refund retail sales, but leave it on gamepass. Just make it a gamepass only game.

It will make so many people mad for so many reasons and that would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I think the best and funniest thing they could do is automatically refund retail sales, but leave it on gamepass. Just make it a gamepass only game.

It will make so many people mad for so many reasons and that would rule.

what

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's the option that would piss off drat near everyone and therefore the funniest possible option, duh.

Edit: in reference to Redfall, in case that wasn't clear.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This game sucks. What the hell is up with the continuous looping music

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

syntaxfunction posted:

It's the option that would piss off drat near everyone and therefore the funniest possible option, duh.

Edit: in reference to Redfall, in case that wasn't clear.

what

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The mentality where you want something lovely to happen specifically because it would piss people off is very weird.

Also someone just reminded me that Contraband was supposed to be a game, it's been AWOL so long the official site doesn't mention Windows 11.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know if you've noticed that people are already very mad and unhappy with the game, there have been many angry things said. So at this point, it would be funny to see them double down and do something dumber and piss off more people with bad decisions. In for a penny.

I could also be using hyperbole and not actually wanting that to happen but no, this is actually 100% what I want, for Bethesda to remove all retail copies and not fix the game at all. That is definitely what I want.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t think many people are mad or unhappy actually. Very few people even cared about this game and the few that really did are probably forcing themselves to cope enjoy it. What you’re probably seeing is people exaggeratedly reveling in the failures of the most mid game ever to exist in a desperate attempt for a shred of engagement.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'd be fuckin' furious if I paid $70 for Redfall, also, like ... what did you see over the past however many years that made you think it'd be a good idea to pay $70 for this

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm someone who hasn't hyped themselves up on a game in a long time due to the obvious reason that it's a dumb thing to do and I also feel like I aged out of devouring every bit of info available on unreleased games a long time ago. A trailer or a description is fine, but until it's out, it doesn't really exist to me.

So while I'd heard of Redfall, all I knew was that it was an Arkane game about Vampires and it had been in development for what felt like a long time. I also happened to get a free month of Game Pass with another product and saw that Redfall was on it, so picked it up and played.

Ordinarily, the no hype/no knowledge of the game thing works really well in avoiding disappointment and being able to enjoy a game for what it is, but it's not really helping with Redfall. It just feels extremely bland and empty. I also can't look to the west without my frame rate tanking to like 12fps. I don't know if it's a smoke/particle thing or weird occlusion culling. Nothing fixes it. It was probably 45 minutes into the game before anyone attacked me. Bad guys mostly just stood there and moved occasionally.

It definitely has the feel of a game that was changed a lot in development and was just thrown together in the end so they could release something. The pedigree of Arkane probably contributes a bit to my disappointment, but my expectations are already a bit lower after Deathloop with fell very flat with me. So I had probably the bare minimum expectations possible for someone who actually knows who Arkane are and it was still a very uninteresting experience. It's something that could probably be salvaged, bit it will take a year or more and a lot of changes. I personally doubt it'll happen.

It also doesn't help that Game Pass on PC loving sucks and corrupted the game when launching it for the first time after pre-loading. Repairing it didn't work of course because it's Game Pass and you have to earn the right to play games by loving around endlessly, so I had to redownload the whole thing. It wasn't worth all the hassle at all.

The first time I got Game Pass I paid for it and refunded within 24 hours because it was a pain in the rear end. I'm glad this time was free, cause I ain't staying subbed to this poo poo. Won't even let me install on my primary games drive and I'm not reformatting it for the privilege of more loving around.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Toaster Beef posted:

I'd be fuckin' furious if I paid $70 for Redfall, also, like ... what did you see over the past however many years that made you think it'd be a good idea to pay $70 for this

This is why I have mixed feelings on those negative Steam reviews.

On one hand, go for it, you guys are one of the main/only ways these publishers are currently being held properly accountable.

On the other.. for fucks sake stop pre-ordering and day-one buying this loving poo poo. Have some self respect and some standards for crying out loud.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People should really know better with preordering by now but I guess not

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm someone who hasn't hyped themselves up on a game in a long time due to the obvious reason that it's a dumb thing to do and I also feel like I aged out of devouring every bit of info available on unreleased games a long time ago. A trailer or a description is fine, but until it's out, it doesn't really exist to me.

So while I'd heard of Redfall, all I knew was that it was an Arkane game about Vampires and it had been in development for what felt like a long time. I also happened to get a free month of Game Pass with another product and saw that Redfall was on it, so picked it up and played.

Ordinarily, the no hype/no knowledge of the game thing works really well in avoiding disappointment and being able to enjoy a game for what it is, but it's not really helping with Redfall. It just feels extremely bland and empty. I also can't look to the west without my frame rate tanking to like 12fps. I don't know if it's a smoke/particle thing or weird occlusion culling. Nothing fixes it. It was probably 45 minutes into the game before anyone attacked me. Bad guys mostly just stood there and moved occasionally.

It definitely has the feel of a game that was changed a lot in development and was just thrown together in the end so they could release something. The pedigree of Arkane probably contributes a bit to my disappointment, but my expectations are already a bit lower after Deathloop with fell very flat with me. So I had probably the bare minimum expectations possible for someone who actually knows who Arkane are and it was still a very uninteresting experience. It's something that could probably be salvaged, bit it will take a year or more and a lot of changes. I personally doubt it'll happen.

It also doesn't help that Game Pass on PC loving sucks and corrupted the game when launching it for the first time after pre-loading. Repairing it didn't work of course because it's Game Pass and you have to earn the right to play games by loving around endlessly, so I had to redownload the whole thing. It wasn't worth all the hassle at all.

The first time I got Game Pass I paid for it and refunded within 24 hours because it was a pain in the rear end. I'm glad this time was free, cause I ain't staying subbed to this poo poo. Won't even let me install on my primary games drive and I'm not reformatting it for the privilege of more loving around.

I have had zero problems with GamePass on PC, it asks me where I want to install stuff and routinely updates and does all the cloud save stuff with the console version automatically if it is Play Anywhere. The only thing I sort of wish it had was some sort of changelog somewhere like Steam does when stuff updates but I can always just google patch changes if I actually care.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
One of the best things about gamepass is I have it for games I actually want to play and know I will enjoy, and for games like Redfall it works as a free demo. Being able to play and subsequently buy games like Hades, Hi-Fi Rush, Slay the Spire or Anthem (I kid) is loving rad and there's also a bunch of games that I play, enjoy, but wouldn't probably play again. Gamepass rules hard.

For games like Redfall there was no way in hell I was going to buy the drat thing without playing it first. Same goes for Starfield. Gamepass got me to try it, which is good for the devs I guess, and assured me to not pay for it, which is probably not as good.

Weirdly tho I'm kind of enjoying it, but I also didn't expect too much. I expect co-op will be better too. And when I get bored, uninstall, call it good. Or in my case, quit the cloud gaming instance, because that works really well too.

Part of me wonders if the AU$120 price tag for the base game was to encourage people on gamepass honestly. But that would be dumb. "Hey try out this service, you can get mediocre games even cheaper!"

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

FlamingLiberal posted:

People should really know better with preordering by now but I guess not

They're never gonna know better so I'd rather people stop repeatedly bleating "Stop pre-ordering" as if it's ever going to break through their hype and change anything. It's pointless, so I just accept that people are going to do it, they're going to keep getting burned, and they won't stop. You might rear end well yell at the sun to stop rising.

It's not like that's the big reason why some games are just bad, anyway. I never understood why people fixate on it other than giving them a target/outlet for their anger or whatever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

I never understood why people fixate on it other than giving them a target/outlet for their anger or whatever.
If they're loud enough about it it'll keep their friends from asking them about the Tears of the Kingdom Gamestop pre-order receipt they have stuck to the fridge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The problem is that a lot of times you are just paying a company to do less work upfront because they are incentivized to just put a game out the door before it’s finished if they know they have already banked a lot of pre-orders

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

IMO instead of playing and writing hundreds of posts about bad games, people should play good games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem is that a lot of times you are just paying a company to do less work upfront because they are incentivized to just put a game out the door before it’s finished if they know they have already banked a lot of pre-orders
I’m not an analyst but I have to imagine that pre-orders are a statistically insignificant figure in the gaming world. I doubt they’re influencing or incentivizing anybody.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ColdPie posted:

IMO instead of playing and writing hundreds of posts about bad games, people should play good games.

That’s literally what this site and forum is built on.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The 1000 GB vampire Far Cry game was bad?! No..,NO!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's not like that's the big reason why some games are just bad, anyway. I never understood why people fixate on it other than giving them a target/outlet for their anger or whatever.

Quality might increase if publishers feel they have to properly earn custom, instead of relying on flashy trailers, pre-order campaigns, media puff-piece preview events and withholding reviews until launch day, over months long "hype cycles" cynically designed to generate money before everyone realises the game is crap.

The industry has spent decades cultivating a pre-order and marketing culture that can be smashed to pieces, if people were just a bit more discerning with how they spend their money and respond to marketing.

American McGay posted:

I’m not an analyst but I have to imagine that pre-orders are a statistically insignificant figure in the gaming world. I doubt they’re influencing or incentivizing anybody.

However large or small that pool of cash is, they want it ASAP. Prefferably before you either play it or see a review that makes you think "eh maybe not".

Why else do pre-orders continue to exist in a digital world? Pre-ordering a digital product is literally nonsense. It has no justification other than securing your money as soon as possible.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 2, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

welcome posted:

The 1000 GB vampire Far Cry game was bad?! No..,NO!

Look, I wanna just say it feels way more like the random wandering you do in Fallout 4 than Far Cry. I don't know if I'm defending the game with this statement, but it does remind me a lot of "walk to ruined house, get random junk, maybe shoot a dude, leave and repeat."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Game Pass Updates for the people who took the ultimate pre-order of buying three years of Ultimate in advance:

COMING:
Today: Redfall (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S)
May 4: Ravenlok (Cloud, Console, and PC)
May 8: Weird West: Definitive Edition (Xbox Series X|S)
May 9: Shadowrun Trilogy (PC)
May 11: Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

GOING:
Leaving May 15:
Before We Leave (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Anniversary Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC)
Hearts of Iron IV (PC)
Her Story (PC)
Umurangi Generation: Special Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Shadowrun Trilogy is already on consoles and Weird West is already on PC Game Pass. Kind of interesting timing - we've seen what Arkane can do, now let's how well Arkane's founder does! (Spoilers: Pretty decently, judging by the Steam reviews)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Opposite is typically true. Pre orders are strong predictors of launch window sales. What you're suggesting was partly true when game companies were selling to brick and mortar and not directly to consumer, but now low pre orders typically means you cut marketing and polish not the other way around.

American McGay posted:

(I am an analyst) In AAA they still matter quite a bit. I mean, overall you care about launch window sales and pre orders are full priced sales and are strong predictors of launch window sales, so it matters. I don't know outside of AAA space.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

thebardyspoon posted:

Wow my Xbox seems fully broken, I got it on that installment plan where you get the console and two years of Gamepass for £30 a month, seemed a good deal at the time. Then they put out nearly zero games for most of that time and they want £284 to repair the loving thing and I still have 8 months left on the payments so I'm paying for a thing I can't use unless I pay them more. Useless loving company that can't make a console or a game to save it's life.

My launch Series X is still going strong with regular use.

Isn't yours under warranty? Wtf did you do to it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

thebardyspoon posted:

Wow my Xbox seems fully broken, I got it on that installment plan where you get the console and two years of Gamepass for £30 a month, seemed a good deal at the time. Then they put out nearly zero games for most of that time and they want £284 to repair the loving thing and I still have 8 months left on the payments so I'm paying for a thing I can't use unless I pay them more. Useless loving company that can't make a console or a game to save it's life.
Owned.

*goes back to playing HITMAN and Valheim for free*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like Xbox is going downhill and only Todd Howard can save us. Please Todd

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Time to bring in free agent Phil Harrison

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fanatic posted:

My launch Series X is still going strong with regular use.

Isn't yours under warranty? Wtf did you do to it

Warranty expired in January apparently. I haven't done anything to it, barely played the drat thing after I got it and played a bunch of Forza Horizon and Halo Infinite. Just didn't switch on this morning. Tried a bunch of stuff to no effect, started looking into the repair process with MS and phoned a few independent places and then tried it again just in case and it did start working again, absolutely no idea what the hell happened.

American McGay posted:

Owned.

*goes back to playing HITMAN and Valheim for free*

gently caress you, you loving oval office. As above, it is working anyway but if it wasn't, dunno why you'd feel laughing at someone in a lovely situation would seem an appropriate response.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

jabro posted:

That’s literally what this site and forum is built on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

uninstalled redfall, lifes too short to play that lovely mess

Ya this is what I did. I think the 4/10 doesn't make sense to me. It definitely is like a 6-7/10 type game, you can go through it just fine. It ran really well on my PC so I didn't have much performance issue but the abilities feel really uninspired and the gunplay is bad. If they atleast nailed one of those two the gameplay would have been much more enjoyable. Right now the gameplay is fine but there are so many good poo poo to play. I still haven't played Dishonored so I rather just play that on gamepass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hatty posted:

Time to bring in free agent Phil Harrison

Activate the Harrison signal!

*projects the silhouette of a giant bald head against the side of a building*

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Do any of your credit cards add on to the 1 year warranty? All of mine do and I've had warranty issues refunded in the past, might be worth looking into.

Otherwise what happens if you stop making the monthly payments? Do they take it back?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Nintendo needs Phil Harrison to launch the Switch 2 so he can complete the sweep. The XBox Live Community has suffered enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Warranty expired in January apparently. I haven't done anything to it, barely played the drat thing after I got it and played a bunch of Forza Horizon and Halo Infinite. Just didn't switch on this morning. Tried a bunch of stuff to no effect, started looking into the repair process with MS and phoned a few independent places and then tried it again just in case and it did start working again, absolutely no idea what the hell happened.

gently caress you, you loving oval office. As above, it is working anyway but if it wasn't, dunno why you'd feel laughing at someone in a lovely situation would seem an appropriate response.

lol

Video games

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

thebardyspoon posted:

Sounds like a miracle has occurred OP. Another win for Xbox :worship:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Looks like Xbox is going downhill and only Todd Howard can save us. Please Todd

Well I assume Todd approved Redfall's development as that was before the acquisition.

So maybe Todd set Redfall up to fail so Starfield can sour :angel:

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Redfall is mediocre in many of the ways I've gotten used to playing random GamePass games, but what has been shockingly awful is the enemy AI. It's giving me flashbacks to some late 90s/early 2000s shooters, but at least those games were good for their era.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else signed up for the 10,500 points auto-renew on gamepass? I have been for a few months and have always gotten an email of my auto-renew on the first, but it hasn't happened yet for May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Eroding My Brand with Games that Arent My Fault, a Phil Spencer story