Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I thought the same thing. I'm guessing the intent is to give something the 30MM crowd can apply all the 30MS hair and clothing packs onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I just recently decided to give this a go (in part to have something to do with my lonely retiree father) and last weekend I built my inaugral bouncing robo boy:

here's my next one:

I don't really feel up to painting just yet but I do want to use this next one to start practicing clipping/sanding and maybe spray it with a matte finish to make it look nicer and seal in the stickers

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've never tried to get a newly released kit fresh of the presses - how long is it likely to be before US stores start having the FM Aerial in stock? Is it around already and I'm not seeing it?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

I've never tried to get a newly released kit fresh of the presses - how long is it likely to be before US stores start having the FM Aerial in stock? Is it around already and I'm not seeing it?

define US store. Target? Local B&M hobbyshop?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

yeah most of the online US retailers have either May or Q2 listed. bn/target/etc unlikely imo. local hobby shops ymmv. i go to my local hobbytown p often bc they have a gundam buyer who cares about it so if they start showing up there i'll post here

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a local with some Gundam stuff I should just ask directly but they mostly do trains. I was mostly thinking of like, newtype and us Gundam store and the like when I asked.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yet another shot at the Neo Zeong II dropping today, along with the Lfrith Jiu:

https://p-bandai.com/us/search?sort=relevance&shop=05-002&sellDate=0&text=

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man that MG Psycho Zaku is cool but like, include the undamaged parts lol.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ijyt posted:

Man that MG Psycho Zaku is cool but like, include the undamaged parts lol.

Looking at the Dalong review, apparently they do include enough to rebuild most of what's missing, although there's also a lot of parts you can't quite complete.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking at the Dalong review, apparently they do include enough to rebuild most of what's missing, although there's also a lot of parts you can't quite complete.

I cannot wait for the diehard Japanese modellers to scratch build a full replacement out of this stuff. It does look like a very neat combo set and the damaged arm section would leave a lot of room for detailing hmmmm...

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I dig the Spinatio Shogun Type and the Zaku High Mobility Surface Type

the Neo Zeong II looks incredible but lol not at my budget/level of experience

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That Lfrith Jiu is instant pick for me. All of the Lfriths have looked really cool so far.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

pre-ordered those two. gundams are cool but I've always been more attracted to rank and file boys. there was an 08th MS Team model I saw a few days ago that might be my next project after the Zaku II

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

here's my next one:

I don't really feel up to painting just yet but I do want to use this next one to start practicing clipping/sanding and maybe spray it with a matte finish to make it look nicer and seal in the stickers

I just ordered this exact kit from Amazon, should be coming today! This will be my 3rd build, after doing the HG Aerial, and my current 50% finished RG Char's Zaku. I also got the cheapo Amazon glass files linked a few pages back, haven't put them to use yet but ground down a bit of excess spur plastic when I unboxed them and WOW! Way better than the three-stage sanding/polishing files I've been using. Excited to build out a little Zaku collection. Gunpla is fun!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DrHammond posted:

I just ordered this exact kit from Amazon, should be coming today! This will be my 3rd build, after doing the HG Aerial, and my current 50% finished RG Char's Zaku. I also got the cheapo Amazon glass files linked a few pages back, haven't put them to use yet but ground down a bit of excess spur plastic when I unboxed them and WOW! Way better than the three-stage sanding/polishing files I've been using. Excited to build out a little Zaku collection. Gunpla is fun!

interesting, fortunately I have a very crafts-oriented family so I've got all the tools I need. and yeah, this will only be my second one but I'm getting into it. every time I look at my little SD zaku on my desk it puts a smile on my face

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Giant Unit 00 to finish out the set

https://gundamit.com/pre-order-meng-model-mecha-006l-evangelion-eva-00-proto-type-pre-colored-ver_p2540.html

Definitely putting a preorder down on this, I missed out on preordering unit02 and it took forever to finally find one for a decent price

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I was gonna take a break after the Barbatos but I got the itch and cracked open my Turn-A. Man going from a modern MG (Barbatos is #212) to a much older one (Turn-A is literally the hundredth from 2007) shows how far they've come. I'm thinking about getting a small chisel though because it's Panel Lining: The Mecha but a lot of the lines seek really shallow for it.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Buck Wildman posted:

I just recently decided to give this a go (in part to have something to do with my lonely retiree father) and last weekend I built my inaugral bouncing robo boy:

here's my next one:

Good choice, I've found the Gundam: The Origin kits to be some of the best. I'd recommend getting a Gundam Marker panel liner as there will be some details that are hard to make out without some contrast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Gundam Rose is such a good build thus far. Amazing sculpt, pretty relaxing to put together.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lfrith Jiu gives me strong Astraea vibes. Gundams that pair the helmet shape with a visor or monoeye are just better than the standard Gundamface IMO.

Speaking of monoeyes, GBO2 recently added a non-SD Sisquiede. Dare I hope for an HG?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My MODEROID Big O arrived today. This looks like it'll be a fun build out of the box, it's got big simple parts and it's hard to gently caress up a colour scheme that's "mostly black".

One thing I'd suggest for anyone else getting one is to get a Metallic Gold marker for the chestpiece, as it's a flat "gold plastic" colour. I think I might break out my silver marker too for the shiny-metal bits like the arm pistons and head bolts on mine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My MODEROID Big O arrived today. This looks like it'll be a fun build out of the box, it's got big simple parts and it's hard to gently caress up a colour scheme that's "mostly black".

One thing I'd suggest for anyone else getting one is to get a Metallic Gold marker for the chestpiece, as it's a flat "gold plastic" colour. I think I might break out my silver marker too for the shiny-metal bits like the arm pistons and head bolts on mine.

You said the same for Valimar right? Are the Gundam Marker ones good or is there another you like?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ordered a set of marker pens and glass files based on the recs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

You said the same for Valimar right? Are the Gundam Marker ones good or is there another you like?

Gundam markers are great! My painting skills are pretty basic, so they're fantastic for touching up small details, especially if it's a whole part on a runner you can go ham on before assembling.

And you absolutely need some kind of gold paint in general for Valimar, cause otherwise he'll be mostly grey.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundam markers are great! My painting skills are pretty basic, so they're fantastic for touching up small details, especially if it's a whole part on a runner you can go ham on before assembling.

And you absolutely need some kind of gold paint in general for Valimar, cause otherwise he'll be mostly grey.

Wicked. I'll probably chuck some in my basket when Doan's Island Guncannon and the Aestevalis Ground Frame hit my warehouse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This is what I got out of going over the dull-gray and gold parts of the Big O with a metallic gold and silver marker (incidentally note the difference between the plastic and marker with the gold, the original's that ugly toy gold colour). Definitely got better results out of the gold, I might be due for a new silver marker as I've definitely used it a fair bit.

I actually kinda look the dodgy weathered look the pistons wound up having by accident, should hopefully gives them a look of firing a bunch of times.

edit: These are what you want for a general set of metallic markers. They're pretty easy to find in local hobbyshops too nowadays.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 4, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah the runner kinda looks like..cheeto paste.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah that marbling effect on the cylinders looks pretty great

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I grabbed the HobbyMio soft-tip paint markers and they're incredible, can definitely recommend if you're replacing your old ones.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Is there a good Discord for Gunpla / other models?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Besides ours from the op? There's the reddit one which is pretty active: https://discord.com/invite/gunpla

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A friend of mine is in Japan, are there any kits they should look out for? Asked them to get me a Sinanju Stein Ver.Ka but wondering if there's anything thats a pain to get in the west otherwise (and cheaper there!)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Option parts, mostly.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

ijyt posted:

A friend of mine is in Japan, are there any kits they should look out for? Asked them to get me a Sinanju Stein Ver.Ka but wondering if there's anything thats a pain to get in the west otherwise (and cheaper there!)

If you're at all interested in the Gundam Base limited products, they could head to one of those stores (location depending). There's an RG Sazabi exclusive to the Fukuoka store with some cool extra parts, for example, although there may not be stock left by now. You can generally rely on clear versions/special finishes of some kits being there at least.

e: Here's a product list which also helpfully lists stock status for some but not all of the stores (eg. the Kyoto satellite store).

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

it's been impossible to get this to photograph without looking like a laser tag place but i recently did an experiment with some fluorescent colors on the HG Aerial

it looks better in person in natural light. gundam makes fluorescent markers that do react to blacklight so i bought pink and green (which is what my Hobbytown had in stock) and a blacklight flashlight from Lowe's. this was mostly an experiment in how crazy i could get just sourcing stuff locally. the Aerial i found at Target

the permet lines under the clear parts - for the stock kit - get put on via a sticker that is sticky on the design part, which presented a challenge because i probably couldnt paint over that. so i printed out a template someone on Etsy made just on printer paper and used the gundam marker over them and then a black micron to redefine the edge details that got lost in the excess paint. then i cut them out and glued them under. the glue dims the fluorescent quality a little bit but it still works.

the Aerial as a kit is pretty amazing. the only counts against it are a couple places that need color correction for screen accuracy. there are stickers for like two spots but the rest aren't addressed at all (vents on the feet, mostly). i found that tamiya ts-67 matched the frame grey almost exactly so i masked off and sprayed.

this kinda helped me fall back in love with HGs. I've been doing RGs for a while because they're kinda plug and play. but where HGs don't come perfect out of the box it was a fun opportunity to add some artistic expression in and try some new approaches. i think I didn't quite "get" HGs until now, but they are a really inexpensive way to test some new techniques and come out with something that really feels like my own

Cephas posted:

i'd kind of like to try making a gunpla for fun sometime. between the Turn A Gundam and the Aerial Gundam, which would be more beginner-friendly? I am not especially good at constructing things.
i'm literally doing the HG Turn A next so I will let you know how they compare but even without looking at it I would definitely recommend the Aerial

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ihuritocustom/status/1655443320213221378?t=IPuGH0S5nHqYNEimFlJVOg&s=19

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Started my first MG this weekend, Gouf 2.0 for the tiny little Ramba Ral

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Looking forward to the inevitable Schwarzette/Stein kitbash come July

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fedex is back on the menu at HLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

JoeGlassJAw posted:

this kinda helped me fall back in love with HGs. I've been doing RGs for a while because they're kinda plug and play. but where HGs don't come perfect out of the box it was a fun opportunity to add some artistic expression in and try some new approaches. i think I didn't quite "get" HGs until now, but they are a really inexpensive way to test some new techniques and come out with something that really feels like my own

Looks good!

Yeah I like to think of HGs as an empty canvas that's relatively cheap and if you mess it up, oh well!