Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1653337177638555650
Tick tock, Solovyov. You'll end up in a courtroom soon enough.
He is the personification of mycrimes.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It is going to be pretty funny when these propagandists get kidnapped and auctioned off to Europe in post collapse Russia

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Im curious, do people actually believe any propagandists will ever see a courtroom? I don't think they will even be tried in their absence. None of these mouthpieces will face repercussions.

My guess is that once the war is over soly will head to Italy and just buy a new villa. Maybe two, he needs somewhere for his kid to play dress ups.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrassRoots posted:

Im curious, do people actually believe any propagandists will ever see a courtroom? I don't think they will even be tried in their absence. None of these mouthpieces will face repercussions.

My guess is that once the war is over soly will head to Italy and just buy a new villa. Maybe two, he needs somewhere for his kid to play dress ups.

Follow the leader

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7bdva/maria-lvova-belova-interview

Not read it yet but interview with Maria Lvova-Belova. The woman ICC are after

e - I have no idea which way Vice bats in terms of Ukraine and Russia

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

BrassRoots posted:

No one is going to see a courtroom tbh but, Soly (and others) have said some really disgusting stuff about Ukrainians on a very personal level and I will not be shocked in the slightlest if he's found pushed out of a window if he leaves Russia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/KilledInUkraine/status/1653024426126876675
This is totally a very good sign of a very stable army that doesn't lack junior officers in the ranks, who weren't of great quality anyway even when fully trained.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They've joked about it on air. I don't think any of them seriously believe they will end up in the Hague, but they are likely irritated on some level that they will likely face inconveniences in future, such as not being able to go wherever they want with impunity, ie: no more swanning around in their Italian villas or on the French Coast, and will have to settle for other destinations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lmao, you don't send your three year trained officers straight to the front. Jfc clown car army

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how they gonna lead if they haven't been properly subjected to and perpetuated a vicious cycle of dedovschina abuse

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Progress report: Russia lost 25 km² over the last month.

https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1653169425749508100

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

Just to add to this, as far as I could find information on it, there was an initial vote first whether to include Paragraph 9 which uses the phrase
"aggression by the Russian Federation against Ukraine" . Here, China abstained, but the vote passed (80yes 48abst 10no), so the Paragraph was included.
China then voted yes on the resolution that included that paragraph.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/KilledInUkraine/status/1653024426126876675
This is totally a very good sign of a very stable army that doesn't lack junior officers in the ranks, who weren't of great quality anyway even when fully trained.

If there's one thing soldiers who've been in the field for some time love, it's inexperienced officers who have never seen combat giving them orders that will get them killed.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Espcially when they don't even know your name before they send you off on a stupid frontal

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The_Franz posted:

If there's one thing soldiers who've been in the field for some time love, it's inexperienced officers who have never seen combat giving them orders that will get them killed.

Well its not like there will be experienced NCOs to disagree with the officers. The majority of the soldiers are new conscripts

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
nm I am a illiterate dumbass

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

:lol:

The Russians managed to lose territory in an offensive

Downright impressive levels of incompetence

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A stark reminder of the human cost of this war and why Russia's aggression must be checked here and now before Putin can export misery to even more countries.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1653308775510556672?s=20

Russia sure de-nazified those children alright.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Russia sure de-nazified those children alright.

It was a premeptive hit, just in case!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

beer_war posted:

Wow Russia is winning

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

beer_war posted:

That's a very russophobic war progress. I can't believe the war would just do something like that.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1653433771234934786
Explosions reported again in Sevastopol, but there are conflicting claims of explosions in Simferopol.

Milblogger Romanov reports Ukraine gained up to 1.5km penetration into Russian positions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1653433771234934786
Explosions reported again in Sevastopol, but there are conflicting claims of explosions in Simferopol.

Yes Russia is pretty offensive
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 2, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So how about that Russian mobilization and offensive

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Toxic Mental posted:

So how about that Russian mobilization and offensive

its pretty offensive alright

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Milblogger Romanov reports Ukraine gained up to 1.5km penetration into Russian positions.

Backhanded blow is coming any day now!

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Russia's War on Ukraine: Offensive? Yes! Also ineffective!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Russia is letting ukraine advance to trick them into a false sense of security. Once pushed back to the borders of Ukraine, the Russian forces will be three times as concentrated compared to the Ukrainian globohomos, and be able to counter attack with a 2:1 ratio of t-34s and is 1s. Dos vidyna, comrades!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

Russia is letting ukraine advance to trick them into a false sense of security. Once pushed back to the borders of Ukraine, the Russian forces will be three times as concentrated compared to the Ukrainian globohomos, and be able to counter attack with a 2:1 ratio of t-34s and is 1s. Dos vidyna, comrades!

Ukraine will bankrupt itself having to take care of occupied Russian territory west of the Urals; Putin can bid his time, the longer he waits at his new Irkutsk capital, the more the situation turns to his advantage.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I translated a thing over in the GiP thread, but why not doublepost it here.
--

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

quote:

Peer Kristian Aale, Moscow correspondent for Aftenposten

In the centre of Moscow, there's a statue of a Ukrainian poet. Every day, a handful of Russians put down flowers here, while the police tries to stop them. I try to take a photo of this. Two policemen come running. They knock my camera away, and drag me towards a police car.

A Russian woman is taken by the police after laying down flowers by a statue of an Ukrainian poet in Moscow. The woman is one of many Russians now creating trouble for Putin. (Reuters/NTB)

All criticism of the war against Ukraine is seen as treason. And people are sentenced to long prison sentences for speaking out. Now, a few brave Russians are creating trouble for president Vladimir Putin.

The Russians responded
In the middle of January, Russia bombed a block of flats in the Ukrainian city of Dnipro. 46 people were killed, among them six children. This was a typical Soviet block, of a kind that's everywhere in both Ukraine and Russia. Social media was full of pictures of the tragedy. Manny Russians recognized the scene - they had the same kitchens, the same furniture, the same stroller.

A number of Russians responded by creating 86 memorials in 62 cities throughout Russia. They came there with flowers, toys, and Ukrainian flags. Often, these memorials are by statues of Ukrainian authors or poets. Some are seen kneeling by these memorials.

- I want to show solidarity with the Ukrainians and my opposition to the war, says Mikhail (57) to Aftenposten.

He has placed flowers at the Ukrainian statue in Moscow a number of times. The police have removed multiple of these spontaneous memorials, but they have reappeared elsewhere.

The Russians keep inventing news ways to show their disapproval of the war. Among the more surprising, fish has become an important symbol.

Was wiretapped, went to jail
Putin sent his soldiers into Ukraine the 24th of February last year. That was also the beginning of a war against all criticism in Russia.

Journalists, activists, and the opposition have been jailed. Many have fled. The police also go for normal people. At least 7000 people have been charged the last year, according to new public statistics. Several hundreds have been apprehended just for things they said on the street, in a café, or in church.

This week, a policeman was sentenced to seven years in jail for having criticized the war in a private phone call. The government attorney argued that the conversation was public because it was being wire tapped.

- The political suppression has grown extremely heavy handed. Russia has become a military police state with totalitarian tendencies, says the Carnegie researcher Andrej Solnikov to Aftenposten.

Still, there are many Russians who dare to resist Putin. In Moscow I often see a crossed-out fish. A history from Siberia explains why.

(From Telegram)

Why a fish?
Last fall, a woman wrote "No to w*r" (в***а) on a building in Tjumen in Siberia. People read w*r as "war". The police arrested her. During the court case, she argued that the word wasn't война (voyna, war), but во́бла (vóbla - roach, as in the fish).

- I hate that fish. Can't stand the smell, she said.

The judge found her not guilty. The story spread in social media. Quickly, images started popping up of a fish with a red slash, meaning No to War.

- Many Russians want to show their unhappiness, but don't want to go to jail. Thus they use hidden symbols, explains Aleksandra Arkhipova to Aftenposten.

The well known anthropologist is charting protests against the war.

- Such hidden messaging is effective. When the brain has to work a bit to understand the meaning, you remember it better. It also increases the change of passing censorship.

(Both from Telegram)

Fish and ballerinas
Every morning, you can see maintenance workers removing graffiti with messages of peace around Moscow. Fish and other hidden symbols are often left up. Such as ballet dancers.

When the Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev died in 1982, the TV channels played the ballet Swan Lake on repeat for days, until a new leader was chosen. The same happened when his successor died in 1984. And the next one the year after.

Swan Lake and ballet dancers indicate that you want Putin to die, Arkhipova explains.

Here's a few other examples of Russian protests:
- In social media, people write things like "For 23 years, I've been longing for the ballet". Which is as long as Putin has been in power.
- Throughout Russia, there's an ongoing campaign to recruit more soldiers. People keep tagging these with "Gruz 200" - cargo 200, the code word for dead soldiers.
- In Russia, it's still illegal to use the word "war". Instead, you're supposed to use "special operation". Many are trying to push against this by pointing out the absurdity. They use the cover of Tolstoi's famous novel War and Peace, photoshopped to say "Special Operation and Peace". House walls are tagged with "As my grandmother used to say: May there never be another Special Operation".

- This is an attempt to puncture the Russian propaganda, says Arkhipova.

Such protests also have another function, according to Arkhipova. They create great trouble for Putin.

(Both from Telegram)

Putin's Strategy
Seven out of ten Russians support the war. That's the number from a series of polls the last year. Several experts think the numbers are artificially high because many are afraid of saying what they really mean about the situation now. The respected sociologist Gregorij Judin thinks a more correct image looks like this:
- 15 to 20 percent are aggressive, and strongly pro war
- 20 to 25 percent are against the war
- The rest say they are pro war. In reality they are trying to close their eyes and avoid facing what's going on.

- This distribution has been fairly stable the last year, says Judin to Aftenposten.

Still, Putin repeatedly claims that the entire population supports what he is doing in Ukraine. And this is repeated daily on TV.

The regime has a conscious strategy in presenting it as if everyone supports the war, Kolesnikov explains.
- Those who are against, are to believe that they are entirely alone. They are to believe that there is something wrong wit them. Many will then join what they assume is the majority, says the Carnegie researcher.

And this is where these protests play a vital role, in the opinion of the researchers.

Creates trouble for Putin
The hidden symbols against the war show that people are not alone. That may have an outsized effect, in Arkhipova's opinion.

- The government strikes this down hard because they fear this activity. The Kremlin needs support from a great majority of Russians, and they are afraid of everything that could undermine it.

The last year has also seen a great rise in jokes about the war and the situation in Russia. Putin says Russia fights Ukrainian nazis, even though experts say this is a lie. Some critics claim that the Russian regime has acquired some fascist characteristics. In November, Russia had to quickly pull out of the Ukrainian city of Kherson. This quickly led to jokes like this:

Putin: Shoigu, why are we pulling out of Kherson?
Shoigu: But Mister President - you yourself gave the order to cleanse Ukraine of fascists and nazis.

A man who told this joke at work was apprehended by the police. Now he's at risk of jailtime. Even before the war, the Kremlin treated comics who joked about the political elite harshly. The security police FSB supposedly even tried to poison a famous satiricist.

- The worst thing for an authoritarian leader or dictator isn't criticism, it's people laughing at you. When people laugh, they being to see how absurd the situation is. They stop being afraid, said the opposition politician Vladimir Kara-Murza to Aftenposten a year ago. Last week he was sentenced to 25 years in jail.

Even the brutal dictator Josef Stalin couldn't stop the Russians from telling political jokes. That in spite of it for some time being sentenced on par with high treason. And even today, the Kremlin can't entirely stop people from showing their unhappiness. Like with the flowers.

In Russian, goose say га-га, ga-ga. This one says гаага - Haag, seat of the international court of justice. (From Telegram)

The long arm of the law vs Flowers
Every weekend, there are two police cars posted by the statue of the Ukrainian poet Lesia Ukrainka in Moscow. Sometimes they have their light bars on to scare people away. During week days, there's usually just one police car. Some Russians still manage to put down flowers every day. There are people of all ages contributing.

- It's not just to show resistance against the war. I'm ashamed that we couldn't stop this from happening. If we Russians had paid more attention to the authoritarian developments twenty years ago, we could have done something. Then we wouldn't have this war, says Mikhail.

When I try to get a photo of someone laying flowers, I'm quickly stopped by the police. At first, they drag me towards a police car, but then they let me go. I ask them if there is a law against laying down flowers.

- No, but we have orders from up high to stop people from doing it. I personally think it's completely idiotic, one of them answers.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Apparently a second train was derailed by sabotage in Bryansk, Russia. This one today.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sabotage-causes-freight-train-derail-russia-region-close-ukraine-2023-05-02/

quote:

May 2 (Reuters) - Sabotage caused a freight train to derail in Russia's Bryansk region bordering Ukraine on Tuesday, operator Russian Railways said on Tuesday, adding around 20 wagons had come off the track.

It said in a statement the derailment had been caused by "unauthorised interference," without providing further detail. A train derailed in the same region on Monday after an explosion, the local governor said.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Zat posted:

Apparently a second train was derailed by sabotage in Bryansk, Russia. This one today.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sabotage-causes-freight-train-derail-russia-region-close-ukraine-2023-05-02/

https://twitter.com/auditor_ya/status/1653461616787111951
geolocated here

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

BrassRoots posted:

None of these mouthpieces will face repercussions.

This is pretty pessimistic, imo.

jmnmu fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 3, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That Aftenposten article is absolutely fantastic, I have never seen (not that I was actively looking) such a succinct and encouraging summary of encouraging anti-war activity within Russia.

Also McCarthy literally telling a Russian journalist he is killing children is pretty amazing turnaround from doing everything he can to sound like a weak baby

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Everyone itt will be sentenced to death if Putin ever finds out about our pants making GBS threads and horse cum jokes :ohdear:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Everyone itt will be sentenced to death if Putin ever finds out about our pants making GBS threads and horse cum jokes :ohdear:

thats a red line your balls are going on a date with SS-18 Satan

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

thats a red line your balls are going on a date with SS-18 Satan

Is it next Tuesday? Because I cannot schedule a "being blown apart by nuclear missile" to my next Tuesday schedule. Can I reschedule via embassy or is this more like "they will call" if I miss my appointment?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

GABA ghoul posted:

...jokes?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I want 2 believe

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vladimir-putin-grooms-russians-for-ukraine-war-loss-in-leaked-propaganda-manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

aint registerin for the daily beast, can you post it