Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Everyone having cameras now days and filming cops being cops and uploading it to social media has been one legit good thing that's come from social media.

Isn’t the majority of this good coming from the preponderance of cameras rather than the social media itself? Citizen footage of police brutality + a decent press would lead to greater skepticism of cops and horror at their brutality, and without social media you wouldn’t have the amplification of “but we’re missing context” or “blue lives matter” to materially offset that public good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dr_rat posted:

So is he afried of AI's because he thinks that's like the software of the simulation he's in coming to kill him?

Does he think he's in Tron or something? ...oh wait yeah matrix would make much more sense, due to being a far lamer delusion and all.

at a guess because AIs are always Skynets in videogames and his personal Judgement Day is fully automated 419 scams

Halisnacks posted:

Isn’t the majority of this good coming from the preponderance of cameras rather than the social media itself? Citizen footage of police brutality + a decent press would lead to greater skepticism of cops and horror at their brutality, and without social media you wouldn’t have the amplification of “but we’re missing context” or “blue lives matter” to materially offset that public good.

yeah but the press isn't decent, it is in fact still the main source of the idea that crime is WORSE THAN EVER and the THIN BLUE LINE is the only thing keeping us SAFE from these ANIMALS and when an OFFICER-INVOLVED SHOOTING happens it's just a TRAGIC INCIDENT the ANIMAL brought on himself by HAVING SMOKED WEED ONCE

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 2, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just having a good laugh at these goons totally wasting their time for zero interactions 😂 (Must do some more memes to wind them up)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Loving the absolute rear end beatings twitter blue subs receive every time they open their dumb mouths about anything now lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Halisnacks posted:

Yeah but the "+ decent press" is getting to be a bit of a problem now days. Although social media did seem to have a pretty bad impact on the press. Did help citizen journalism though, and been very good at getting voices heard from protests and people living in dictatorships and what not. Like not disagreeing social media has mostly been bad, but it's still has had some positive benefits.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
A dumb (but serious) question - what are people talking about when they say something about ratios on Twitter?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Community note: Starship didn't even explode on command so it is an overstatement of what Elon gave us.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shroud posted:

A dumb (but serious) question - what are people talking about when they say something about ratios on Twitter?

the ratio of comments/qts yelling at you to people who liked/simply retweeted your twoot

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shroud posted:

A post that gets way more replies than "likes" usually means there's a lot of discussion going on but most people don't agree with whatever the tweet is about. So someone getting ratio'd means they posted some dumb bullshit and everyone's dragging them in the replies, usually.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shroud posted:

"Getting ratioed" originally meant when you got a ton of replies but very few likes, implying everyone replying to you was yelling at you about what a loving idiot you are. Now "ratioing" people means replying to them or quote tweeting them calling them an idiot and getting way more likes and RTs than their original tweet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shroud posted:

The ratio of likes and retweets (supportive) to replies and quote-tweets (unsupportive). If you got a lot more of the latter than the former then that just means everyone's dunking on you and you got ratio'd.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shroud posted:

If more people are replying -normally calling them an idiot- vs liking the tweet.

so this tweet had 27 likes vs 780 people calling him an idiot.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Traditionally the ratio is likes to replies, where more replies implies you're getting yelled at more than people are liking your tweet.

There is also a new kind of ratio, only possible due to Elon changing things:

How many views your tweet got to how many likes it got.
This one is interesting because people don't need to reply to ratio you; you ratio yourself by having a dog poo poo take that people just scroll past.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ratioing is basically a crime against humanity.

All those poor idiots guilty of nothing but being tricked into buying something worthless by a colony of naked mole rats dressed up as a snake-oil salesman.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's very funny (as some people have aptly noted itt) that the bluechecks have managed to convince themselves that Twitter is a service like cable TV that is worth them paying for, even if they perhaps on some level all used to understand that the whole reason it was free was because they were the product and their purpose was to be advertised to.

They think they're consuming valuable content from other rando bluechecks, as though the thoughts of rando bluechecks was what people joined the site for. Nobody ever wanted to follow some nobody they didn't know. They signed up to either a) post their own toilet thoughts into the void because it's fun and a weird semi-exhibitionist rush, or b) follow celebrities because celebrities' toilet thoughts are fun.

And the only reason why Twitter ever made money was advertisers being able to leverage those whale accounts with millions of followers so they could do targeted advertising, with real metrics showing they were getting value for their money and not just spamming everyone with the same ads.

They've all got such an inflated sense of what they themselves bring to Twitter as a platform because they've bought what they think is "celebrity" status for $8, but all the air's just going to come farting out of that balloon with a giant THTHTPBTPPBPTBTBPTBTTTT sound

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ben shapino posted:

Traditionally the ratio is likes to replies, where more replies implies you're getting yelled at more than people are liking your tweet.

There is also a new kind of ratio, only possible due to Elon changing things:

How many views your tweet got to how many likes it got.
This one is interesting because people don't need to reply to ratio you; you ratio yourself by having a dog poo poo take that people just scroll past.

there's also the "cowards ratio" (high likes but few retweets because people are too cowardly to put it on their own timeline) or the "jerk off ratio" (suspiciously high number of bookmarks compared to every other metric, most often seen on photos of women)

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

From 10 pages back, but I would confidently say the difference between Peter Thiel and Elon Musk is that Thiel is actually highly intelligent. Musk is not.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I wish Elon would die

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The av makes it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
All these replies to Shroud and their post didn't even get a single like. How ironic. :smug:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

But, at the end of the day, he is truly Rish Bisch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ben shapino posted:

I wish Elon would die

Heh... He won't!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I kind of feel like people just aren't getting the message about the emperor wearing no clothes because way too many people still believe in folks like Musk and Trump even when people point out that they're idiots.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Our best chance is his hubris leading him to be the first neuralink human recipient, instantly putting him into an endless coma

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Armitage posted:

I kind of feel like people just aren't getting the message about the emperor wearing no clothes because way too many people still believe in folks like Musk and Trump even when people point out that they're idiots.

It's not so much that they don't get the message; we live in the "double down" era where people pointing out that Musk and Trump are idiots leads other idiots to n-down on their love and support for them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 2, 2023

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Thanks, everyone. I had a Twitter account in the early days, but only ever used it for those mobile games that gave you extra energy/gems/etc. for tweeting something about the game. I never really used it seriously, though. I deleted it once the Boer bitch and his apartheid army took over.

Getting a lot of hearty chuckles from from watching everything crash & burn.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Data Graham posted:

It's very funny (as some people have aptly noted itt) that the bluechecks have managed to convince themselves that Twitter is a service like cable TV that is worth them paying for, even if they perhaps on some level all used to understand that the whole reason it was free was because they were the product and their purpose was to be advertised to.

They think they're consuming valuable content from other rando bluechecks, as though the thoughts of rando bluechecks was what people joined the site for. Nobody ever wanted to follow some nobody they didn't know. They signed up to either a) post their own toilet thoughts into the void because it's fun and a weird semi-exhibitionist rush, or b) follow celebrities because celebrities' toilet thoughts are fun.

And the only reason why Twitter ever made money was advertisers being able to leverage those whale accounts with millions of followers so they could do targeted advertising, with real metrics showing they were getting value for their money and not just spamming everyone with the same ads.

They've all got such an inflated sense of what they themselves bring to Twitter as a platform because they've bought what they think is "celebrity" status for $8, but all the air's just going to come farting out of that balloon with a giant THTHTPBTPPBPTBTBPTBTTTT sound

Haha yeah… “WE are the celebrities now!”

“WE are the news now!”

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

do you think elon would bring back the dislike button if it was catturd or some [other] nazi asking for it

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Polio Vax Scene posted:

do you think elon would bring back the dislike button if it was catturd or some [other] nazi asking for it

No way he knows he is deeply unpopular. He got wrecked on his own twitter polls telling him to step down as CEO.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Armitage posted:

being an idiot is the main thing people like about Trump though. He's a grotesque loudmouthed cretin just like me, and also incredibly successful by any measure and routinely outmaneuvers all the annoying Yalie aristocrats in absurd Bugs Bunny fashion

Musk started out as about the same thing but for the dregs of the Reddit comment thread, but I can't imagine what his fans get out of watching him repeatedly gently caress up everything he touches and then gurn at the cameras about what a wonderful learning opportunity that was

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 2, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Lemon Musk using his mother's account to sock puppet remains pathetic as ever.
https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1652919578941374464?s=20

https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1650182766254850050?s=20

https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1652418009799991301?s=20

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

MrMojok posted:

Haha yeah… “WE are the celebrities now!”

“WE are the news now!”

2 likes 0 retweets 0 comments

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Lol I'm pretty sure the hate for Tesla started when the news started reporting the cars randomly catching on fire and FSD running into other cars/walls/any other stationary object on the road

Elon being an absolute idiot troll doesn't help the company out either

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Vire posted:

No way he knows he is deeply unpopular. He got wrecked on his own twitter polls telling him to step down as CEO.

New feature coming to Twitter Blue

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
I blocked Elon Musk and yet I am still seeing his posts. Bug or feature?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think he has to sock-puppet. His ma will defend her special little boy against anyone who dares insinuate she birthed and raised an idiot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jailbrekr posted:

For you: bug
For Elon: feature

Guess which one is more important to Twitter?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Jailbrekr posted:

Tweets from blocked twits will still show up for you if they're embedded, say in this thread. I don't think thats a new post-elon thing. It's been that way for a while. They should be blocked for you if you visit the twitter url or use the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cable Guy posted:

Tweets from blocked twits will still show up for you if they're embedded, say in this thread. I don't think thats a new post-elon thing. It's been that way for a while. They should be blocked for you if you visit the twitter url or use the app.

Yeah that's a bit of a conceptual problem with blocking stuff for anonymous users; because it relies on knowing who YOU are who has blocked the person, it implies either assuming that everybody is always logged in at all times (lol), or that blockable content can never be shown to anybody unless they're logged in and have NOT blocked it. Same as with "hidden" content, which cannot be shown to unauthenticated users because then someone could get around your "hiding" your content just by logging out.