Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The WGA went on strike this morning after negotiations failed with the major streaming studios over increased wages for writers working on streaming shows. There has been a major difference between what writers get paid on cable/network shows vs shows that are streaming-only and the studios have refused to budge much on their positions.

https://twitter.com/WGAWest/status/1653242408195457025?s=20

I'm kinda worried about how this will shake out because unlike last time, they're competing with YouTube and TikTok and all that. (YouTube existed before, but I think it was still in its 10-minute-limit, DVD-quality-if-you're-lucky days.) The last strike brought on an infinite wave of reality shows that still wander pluto.tv to this day, so I'm wondering what this one will bring.

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean...can't you just use VPN?

Virtual Privates Network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm kinda worried about how this will shake out because unlike last time, they're competing with YouTube and TikTok and all that. (YouTube existed before, but I think it was still in its 10-minute-limit, DVD-quality-if-you're-lucky days.) The last strike brought on an infinite wave of reality shows that still wander pluto.tv to this day, so I'm wondering what this one will bring.

ChatGPT :getin:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Who in Utah do you imagine is smart enough to know what a VPN is but isn't smart enough to move out of that poo poo hole state?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WebDO posted:

Who in Utah do you imagine is smart enough to know what a VPN is but isn't smart enough to move out of that poo poo hole state?

:whitewater:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WebDO posted:

My buddy who lives there for the hiking

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WebDO posted:

Probably the same kids who this is intended to "protect", and who plan on moving out as soon as they are able?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sir Lemming posted:

I had a similar thought, I haven't watched a syndicated TV show in a long, long time aside from kids shows. The most I've seen is fast forwarding through the boring parts of Breaking Bad. The only show I actually sat down at watched was Squid Game and that was Korean.

That being said, it's still a drat huge market and it's not like they can just stop making shows. Jimmy Kimmel has around 1.5 million people watching every show for some reason.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 2, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WebDO posted:

Uh lots of people since it ain't easy to just uproot your entire life like that?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

WebDO posted:

Ah yes, because not having the resources to uproot your life and move elsewhere means you must be stupid

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

WebDO posted:

Shut the gently caress up, idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the biggest thing that is different this time is that with the move to streaming, the time pressure is off of the studios. Before, it was obvious that this week's episode of Big Bang Theory or whatever was a rerun, and it was clear to everyone that it was due to the writers' strike because the shooting-to-air time was very short. So the strike was immediate and tangible to people outside of the industry and consumer habits were changed because of it (lots of people would watch new episodes of something, but skip reruns) . But just-filmed weekly sitcoms that fit into the traditional TV release calendar are not a huge thing anymore compared to writing and shooting entire seasons at once and then dumping them onto streaming platforms at irregular intervals (even if episodes are released weekly, the whole season is now generally ready to go before the first episode drops). Nobody notices or cares that Sweet Tooth season two is being released in May rather than October. They'll only remember it even exists when they see that it's available to watch.

Even the late night shows, which were the main way of people being made aware of the previous strike, are not that powerful anymore. Far fewer people are watching them nightly as they air. It's pretty much everyone watching highlight clips the next day, if they watch any of it at all. These clips will just go away, and nobody will notice.

Studios can just stretch out their release schedules for the current crop of shows they have in the can or that are in post-production, and consumers wouldn't feel the writers' strike for a very long time. It would be a slowly dawning realization in the middle of 2025 that it's been a very long time since anything new has come out.

Meanwhile, the writers have mortgages to pay and have become accustomed to eating daily.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

WebDO posted:

Utah is absolutely gorgeous and has a million outdoor things to do. You should check it out sometime

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What U.S state isn't gorgeous? Rhode Island?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

Louisiana, its all swamp

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DarkCrawler posted:

Delaware

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

:shrug: looks nice enough to me.

Every state is going to have ugly places and nice-looking places, yes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everywhere is a gorgeous home to someone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gumball Gumption posted:

Mar-a-lago?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Some people say it's the most gorgeous. Not me but some people

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WebDO posted:

Salt Lake's been a mini Silicon Valley since the sixties. People are still moving there and it's been just enough that Mormons are a minority now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

According to E! Entertainment television, this is false.

The only things I know about Delaware are that it is home to roughly 52% of incorporated businesses in America and that they were always part of E! Entertainment channel's annual "Spring Break: Best Party Beaches in America" in the 90's and early 2000's. It was very weird because they would do shows from Florida, Florida, California, Florida, and then Delaware out of nowhere. It is seared into my mind despite being a quarter of a century ago.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I still get nostalgic over parts of Eastern Montana where I was born and raised. And that is the ugly half of the state.

Makoshika State Park. Makoshika literally translates to "Bad Land to Travel Through"

Still strangely pretty.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Rhode Island is awesome!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The only things I know about Delaware are that it is home to roughly 52% of incorporated businesses in America and that they were always part of E! Entertainment channel's annual "Spring Break: Best Party Beaches in America" in the 90's and early 2000's. It was very weird because they would do shows from Florida, Florida, California, Florida, and then Delaware out of nowhere. It is seared into my mind despite being a quarter of a century ago.

Rehobeth beach and Ocean City in Maryland just south are honestly great. Hot but not as humid as beaches in the south, decent waves, broad, clean sandy beaches and water that isn't filled with seaweed like stuff farther up like the Jersey shore/NYC.

But it's not pretty, per se. Just a good beach if what you want to do is swim and tan.

Edit: Nebraska is pretty only if you like expanses of nothing but corn. Stock desktop-rear end state.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Here me out: Texas. There are some absolutely gorgeous portions of the state, Big Bend, The Hill Country, etc , but on AVERAGE it is incredibly boring. I rode from Dallas to Grand Junction, CO and the second you leave Texas, the scenery becomes epic. From flat and brown to painted desert and mountains, loving extinct volcanoes! I split the trip in two coming back and the first half was wondrous, second blah.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah my big memory of Texas was that once you leave the towns it's expanse after expanse of burned out dead grass as far as you can see

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Delaware beaches suck. You could say the same about any east coast beaches. Dumb, flat, humid, gross.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Some people say it's the most gorgeous. Not me but some people

A soldier-fireman-cop, big guy biggest you've ever seen, came up to me the other day - tears in his eyes - and he says to me "Sir, this is the most beautiful omelet bar I've ever seen"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

Louisiana, its all swamp

The swamp rules???

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah my big memory of Texas was that once you leave the towns it's expanse after expanse of burned out dead grass as far as you can see
That or cotton fields that freak out air travelers who don’t understand irrigation

Texas is the answer

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The swamp rules???

That or cotton fields that freak out air travelers who don’t understand irrigation

Texas is the answer

But you're in a swamp on the highway, not a fan boat or a canoe. I need to ride to New Orleans on my bike. Maybe that would make it interesting.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

WebDO posted:

It has a huge tech sector they call the silicon slopes. I lived there for a year. It attracts a ton of young, tech savvy professionals who want to be able to take the day off and go ski.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OctaMurk posted:

Louisiana, its all swamp

I've played RDR2, looked pretty cool to me. Terrifying, but cool.

Judgy Fucker posted:

:shrug: looks nice enough to me.

Every state is going to have ugly places and nice-looking places, yes.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Rhode Island is awesome!

They would be decently-sized countries on any continent except for maybe few, and even those are less dense than say, their European equivalent, I just picked the smallest one out of the hat. Maybe if DC was a state...

Jesus III posted:

Here me out: Texas. There are some absolutely gorgeous portions of the state, Big Bend, The Hill Country, etc , but on AVERAGE it is incredibly boring. I rode from Dallas to Grand Junction, CO and the second you leave Texas, the scenery becomes epic. From flat and brown to painted desert and mountains, loving extinct volcanoes! I split the trip in two coming back and the first half was wondrous, second blah.

Well Texas is huge though. Prairie/Steppe has to be universally the most boring looking place if you are used to the huge expanse as far as the eye can see. I am not so I get my mind blown every time still.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vice is filing for bankruptcy and may go under.

As recently as a few years ago, the company was valued at close to $6 billion. However, it now looks like they have been bleeding money for several years and investors are no longer willing to give them any more money.

They are attempting to sell the company to someone to avoid going under entirely, but so far nobody has taken the deal. The company is likely worth less than 5% of its original valuation right now. Disney put more than $400 million into Vice Media and it now says that its investment is "worthless."

If they don't find a buyer, then they will dissolve the company and pay back whatever money they raise to their creditors.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1653180975696707585

quote:

Vice, the brash digital-media disrupter that charmed giants like Disney and Fox into investing before a stunning crash-landing, is preparing to file for bankruptcy, according to two people with knowledge of its operations.

The filing could come in the coming weeks, according to three people familiar with the matter who weren’t authorized to discuss the potential bankruptcy on the record.

The company has been looking for a buyer, and still might find one, to avoid declaring bankruptcy. More than five companies have expressed interest in acquiring Vice, according to a person briefed on the discussions. The chances of that, however, are growing increasingly slim, said one of the people with knowledge of the potential bankruptcy.

A bankruptcy filing would be a bleak coda to the tumultuous story of Vice, a new-media interloper that sought to supplant the media establishment before persuading it to invest hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2017, after a funding round from the private-equity firm TPG, Vice was worth $5.7 billion. But today, by most accounts, it’s worth a tiny fraction of that.

In the event of a bankruptcy, Vice’s largest debtholder, Fortress Investment Group, could end up controlling the company, said one of the people. Vice would continue operating normally and run an auction to sell the company over a 45-day period, with Fortress in pole position as the most likely acquirer.

Unlike Vice’s other investors, which have included Disney and Fox, Fortress holds senior debt, which means it gets paid out first in the event of a sale. Disney, which has already written down its investments, is not getting a return, the person said.

“Vice Media Group has been engaged in a comprehensive evaluation of strategic alternatives and planning,” Vice said in a statement on Monday. “The company, its board and stakeholders continue to be focused on finding the best path for the company.”

Vice began as a punk magazine in Montreal more than two decades ago. Over the years, it blossomed into a global media company with a movie studio, an ad agency, a glossy show on HBO and bureaus in far-flung world capitals. Disney, after investing hundreds of millions in Vice, explored buying the company in 2015 for more than $3 billion, according to the two people familiar with the conversations.

The deal never materialized, and Vice eventually succumbed to a bearish market for digital media companies. The company has been trying for years to turn a profit but has consistently failed to do so, losing money and repeatedly laying off employees.

Last week, Vice told employees it was closing Vice World News, a global reporting initiative that covered world conflict and human-rights abuses. The closure of the world news operation was a blow to employees who saw the division’s aggressive coverage as in keeping with Vice’s roots in gonzo journalism, established when co-founder Shane Smith would report from risky destinations like North Korea.

As it has sought a buyer in recent months, Vice has dealt with turnover in its leadership ranks. Nancy Dubuc, the company’s former chief executive, left this year after nearly five years at the company. Jesse Angelo, the company’s global president of news and entertainment, also left the company.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

I was talking about regular people. Not goons.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good news on the rail sick days. CSX says they want to get that benefit to the operators but I’m not sure how they are going to do that without compromising on their short staffing.

"The Guardian posted:

Joseph McCartin, a labor historian at Georgetown University, said: “It’s a significant set of quiet victories. It shows that it really makes a difference to have a pro-labor president.”

McCartin voiced regret that the rail unions hadn’t made progress on easing or dismantling “precision schedule railroading”, a policy in which the railroads have cut their workforce by over 25% since 2016 to boost profits, resulting in stress and overwork for current employees. “For people who hoped the union’s challenge on sick days would call into question some of the basic function of precision-scheduled railroading, these victories aren’t changing that game at all,” McCartin said.

I think Biden and Buttigieg, who probably did not like having to overrule the union but felt they had no choice because of the potential fallout, have been quietly putting a lot of pressure on them. Regulatory threats probably have a bigger impact than even the PR concerns, which companies that size would usually wait to blow over. The CEO is certainly not doing it because his heart grew three sizes that day, anyway.

I have to imagine that precision railroading and overwork are part of the negotiations between the operators and the rail companies; it’s hard to imagine how they would have a practical callout policy without making changes in that arena.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/01/railroad-workers-union-win-sick-leave

Here's the whole article. They've extended sick days to some workers but not the unions that represent the operators and engineers, so the people who would have the largest impact on operations. Hopefully they get it. Rolling back PSR policies would be the biggest victory though, it's a modern anti-worker policy that's shown to have zero impact on the actual quality and efficiency of the rail systems using it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Treasury Department says the U.S. will hit the debt ceiling sooner than anticipated - potentially in late May or June 1st.

Biden has called congressional leaders for an emergency meeting at the White House:

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1653152816343465984

The Senate is preparing to pass a clean debt ceiling extension through December 2024, but Senate Republicans say they aren't going to support it or offer their own plan. They are saying they will sign on to whatever McCarthy passes.

They say that the House GOP has passed a bill to lift the debt ceiling and if Biden doesn't support it, then he is responsible for defaulting:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1653170408080695296

Senate Dems and House Republicans both say they are not willing to change their positions.

The White House is quietly debating whether there is any legal merit to the idea that the 14th amendment allows the President to ignore the debt ceiling and analyzing what the potential costs and reactions would be if they used it. They are also determining what the implications would be if the issue ended up at the Supreme Court. White House lawyers on divided on the merits, but all of them also agree that they don't want to make it seem like something they are considering because it will give Republicans less reason to back down.

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/1653416499145580544

quote:

As the government heads toward a possible default on its debt as soon as next month, officials are entertaining a legal theory that previous administrations ruled out.

A standoff between House Republicans and President Biden over raising the nation’s borrowing limit has administration officials debating what to do if the government runs out of cash to pay its bills, including one option that previous administrations had deemed unthinkable.

That option is effectively a constitutional challenge to the debt limit. Under the theory, the government would be required by the 14th Amendment to continue issuing new debt to pay bondholders, Social Security recipients, government employees and others, even if Congress fails to lift the limit before the so-called X-date.

That theory rests on the 14th Amendment clause stating that “the validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.”

Some legal scholars contend that language overrides the statutory borrowing limit, which currently caps federal debt at $31.4 trillion and requires congressional approval to raise or lift.

Top economic and legal officials at the White House, the Treasury Department and the Justice Department have made that theory a subject of intense and unresolved debate in recent months, according to several people familiar with the discussions.

It is unclear whether President Biden would support such a move, which would have serious ramifications for the economy and almost undoubtedly elicit legal challenges from Republicans. Continuing to issue debt in that situation would avoid an immediate disruption in consumer demand by maintaining government payments, but borrowing costs are likely to soar, at least temporarily.

Still, the debate is taking on new urgency as the United States inches closer to default. Treasury Secretary Janet L. Yellen warned on Monday that the government could run out of cash as soon as June 1 if the borrowing cap is not lifted.

Mr. Biden is set to meet with Speaker Kevin McCarthy of California at the White House on May 9 to discuss fiscal policy, along with other top congressional leaders from both parties. The president’s invitation was spurred by the accelerated warning of the arrival of the X-date.

But it remains unclear what type of compromise may be reached in time to avoid a default. House Republicans have refused to raise or suspend the debt ceiling unless Mr. Biden accepts spending cuts, fossil fuel supports and a repeal of Democratic climate policies, contained in a bill that narrowly cleared the chamber last week.

Mr. Biden has said Congress must raise the limit without conditions, though he has also said he is open to separate discussions about the nation’s fiscal path.

A White House spokesman declined to comment on Tuesday.

A group of legal scholars and some liberal activists have pushed the constitutional challenge to the borrowing limit for more than a decade. No previous administration has taken it up. Lawyers at the White House and the Justice and Treasury Departments have never issued formal opinions on the question. And legal scholars disagree about the constitutionality of such a move.

“The Constitution’s text bars the federal government from defaulting on the debt — even a little, even for a short while,” Garrett Epps, a constitutional scholar at the University of Oregon’s law school, wrote in November. “There’s a case to be made that if Congress decides to default on the debt, the president has the power and the obligation to pay it without congressional permission, even if that requires borrowing more money to do so.”

Other legal scholars say the limit is constitutional. “The statute is a necessary component of Congress’s power to borrow and has proved capable of serving as a useful catalyst for budgetary reform aimed at debt reduction,” Anita S. Krishnakumar, a Georgetown University law professor, wrote in a 2005 law review article.

The president has repeatedly said it is the job of Congress to raise the limit in order to avoid an economically catastrophic default.

Top officials, including Ms. Yellen and the White House press secretary, Karine Jean-Pierre, have sidestepped questions about whether they believe the Constitution would compel the government to continue borrowing to pay its bills after the X-date.

ABC News asked Ms. Yellen amid a debt-ceiling standoff in 2021 if she would invoke the 14th Amendment to resolve it.

“It’s Congress’s responsibility to show that they have the determination to pay the bills that the government amasses,” she said. “We shouldn’t be in a position where we need to consider whether or not the 14th Amendment applies. That’s a disastrous situation that the country shouldn’t be in.”

The government reached the borrowing limit on Jan. 19, but Treasury officials are able to deploy what are known as extraordinary measures to continue paying bills on time. The measures, which are essentially accounting maneuvers, are set to run out sometime in the next few months, possibly as soon as June 1. The government would default on its debt if Treasury stopped paying all bills. Economists have warned that could lead to financial crisis and recession.

Progressive groups have encouraged Mr. Biden to take actions meant to circumvent Congress on the debt limit and continue uninterrupted spending, like minting a $1 trillion coin to deposit with the Federal Reserve. Internally, administration officials have rejected most of them. Publicly, Biden aides have said the only way to avert a crisis is for Congress to act.

“I know you probably get tired of me saying this from here over and over again, but it is true,” Ms. Jean-Pierre said on Thursday, after referring a question about the 14th Amendment to the Treasury Department. “It is their constitutional duty to get this done.”

But inside the administration, it remains an open question what Treasury would do if Congress does not raise the limit in time — because, many officials say, the law is unclear and so is the Constitution, which gives Congress the power to tax and spend.

Officials who support invoking the 14th Amendment and continuing to issue new debt contend the government would be exposed to lawsuits either way. If it fails to continue paying its bills after the X-date, it could be sued by anyone who is not paid on time in the event of a default.

Other officials have argued that the statutory borrowing limit is binding, and that an attempt to ignore it would draw an immediate legal challenge that would most likely rise quickly to the Supreme Court.

There is a broad consensus on both sides of the debate that the move risks roiling financial markets. It is likely to cause a surge in short-term borrowing costs because investors would demand a premium to buy debt that could be invalidated by a court.

The Moody’s Analytics economist Mark Zandi modeled such a situation this year and found it would create short-term economic damage but long-term gains if courts upheld the constitutional interpretation — by removing the threat of future brinkmanship over the limit.

“The extraordinary uncertainty created by the constitutional crisis leads to a sell-off in financial markets until the Supreme Court rules,” Mr. Zandi wrote in March. Economic growth and job creation would be dampened briefly, he added, “but the economy avoids a recession and quickly rebounds.”

Obama administration officials briefly considered — and quickly discarded — the constitutional theory when Republicans refused to raise the limit in 2011 unless the president agreed to spending cuts. Treasury lawyers never issued a formal opinion on the question, and they have not yet this year, department officials said this week.

But in a letter to the editor of The New York Times in 2011, George W. Madison, who was Treasury’s general counsel at the time, suggested that department officials did not subscribe to the theory. He was directly challenging an assertion by the constitutional law professor Laurence H. Tribe, who wrote in an opinion essay in The Times that Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner had pushed to embrace the 14th Amendment interpretation, which Mr. Tribe opposed.

“Like every previous secretary of the Treasury who has confronted the question,” Mr. Madison wrote, “Secretary Geithner has always viewed the debt limit as a binding legal constraint that can only be raised by Congress.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 2, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Again; who would have standing to sue if the White House just ignored the debt ceiling?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you want an ugly state look at Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We better hope Joe Biden is a numismatist.