Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah unfortunately that is a fairly predictable outcome of owning a hydrogen car. Idk what the use case even is anymore when there is widespread fast EV charging in your area, which there is.

Apartment dwellers with no home charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know why tesla doesn't put in any HUDs in their cars if they want a minimalist look. Seems like that would be right up Elon's alley for tech gadgetry.

Tesla doesn’t have a commitment to gadgetry, their cars have little of it and the fancy features begin and end with what they can do with a limited camera setup and a processing node.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know why tesla doesn't put in any HUDs in their cars if they want a minimalist look. Seems like that would be right up Elon's alley for tech gadgetry.

Lack of HUD or something on Tesla is an actual dealbreaker for me. It maybe sounds silly, but I really want speed and if possible directions and some controls feedback in my central field of view when I'm driving. Dashboard being all on the console just ain't for me.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Tayter Swift posted:

Apartment dwellers with no home charging.

Waiting hours for a hydrogen fill up doesn't sound too different from having to DC fast charge once every week or so.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

OctaMurk posted:

Lack of HUD or something on Tesla is an actual dealbreaker for me. It maybe sounds silly, but I really want speed and if possible directions and some controls feedback in my central field of view when I'm driving. Dashboard being all on the console just ain't for me.

After spending a bunch of miles in a car with a nice HUD, it doesn't sound silly anymore. I found the HUD really fantastic and much more than some gimmick. I wish it was a standard mandated feature for cars now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla doesn’t have a commitment to gadgetry, their cars have little of it and the fancy features begin and end with what they can do with a limited camera setup and a processing node.

They've been pretty clear from the start that the end goal is an inexpensive to produce car. All the fancy poo poo so far has been a lure to sell overpriced cars so they can figure out how to make cheap ones.

It seems fancy and futuristic because they were the first ones to do it. The thing about futuristic is that just being in the future doesn't mean it's desired: my $7 Casio watch would have been mind-blowing in 1850, sought after by the rich and powerful.

The only reason the Bolt sold for less than the Model 3 is because GM already knew how to build cars, and Telsa is still using the sale price to subsidize figuring out how to build cars for less money than anyone else ever has.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

Waiting hours for a hydrogen fill up doesn't sound too different from having to DC fast charge once every week or so.

I didn't think it would be that bad when I leased it :(

And usually it's not, but yeah pretty lovely this time around.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cruft posted:

They've been pretty clear from the start that the end goal is an inexpensive to produce car. All the fancy poo poo so far has been a lure to sell overpriced cars so they can figure out how to make cheap ones.

It seems fancy and futuristic because they were the first ones to do it. The thing about futuristic is that just being in the future doesn't mean it's desired: my $7 Casio watch would have been mind-blowing in 1850, sought after by the rich and powerful.

The only reason the Bolt sold for less than the Model 3 is because GM already knew how to build cars, and Telsa is still using the sale price to subsidize figuring out how to build cars for less money than anyone else ever has.

I think you're underestimating how "cool" Teslas are/were (I don't know how Elon's transphobic bigotry has affected that, but I doubt much because people suck) . GM couldn't have captured that. Well maybe but I doubt it. It's a cool cheap futuristic sports car made by that guy who is totally Tony Stark (in no way am I saying that Elon Musk is actually Tony Stark). The bolt is a "small" (relatively) lame eco car.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 2, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I think you're underestimating how "cool" Teslas are/were. GM couldn't have captured that. Well maybe but I doubt it. It's a cool cheap futuristic sports car made by that guy who is totally Tony Stark (in no way am I saying that Elon Musk is actually Tony Stark). The bolt is a "small" (I mean relatively) lame eco car.

I don't think so. My $7 wristwatch would have been hella cool in 1850. People may have even been killed over it.

It's just that I think folks are maybe assuming Tesla's minimalist look was anything other than a step to reducing costs as much as possible. The fact that it looked awesome was a nice side-effect, but the goal has always been making the next Toyota Corolla.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It looked cool in 2013. It’s 2023. The new Prius looks cooler.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cruft posted:

I don't think so. My $7 wristwatch would have been hella cool in 1850. People may have even been killed over it.

It's just that I think folks are maybe assuming Tesla's minimalist look was anything other than a step to reducing costs as much as possible. The fact that it looked awesome was a nice side-effect, but the goal has always been making the next Toyota Corolla.

People aren't necessarily self aware enough to realize it but most people want to be cool, fit in, be part of the new thing. GM isn't the new thing. Tesla was. The main marketing wasn't "yep this is a Corolla" (what with being more expensive than a Corolla) it was LUDICRIOUS MODE LOL!

edit: Well at least that's what I remember.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think just being able to go to a tesla store and have a reasonably pleasant experience shopping, test driving and buying a car is a biggie too. Most GM dealerships around here are dire beige places with a giant greasy lot you have to trek thru to get to the showroom and it’s mostly silverado owners milling about.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

I think just being able to go to a tesla store and have a reasonably pleasant experience shopping, test driving and buying a car is a biggie too. Most GM dealerships around here are dire beige places with a giant greasy lot you have to trek thru to get to the showroom and it’s mostly silverado owners milling about.

When my girlfriend bought her Bolt (in SE MI), the dealer couldn't have been less interested -- just tossed us the keys and let us go, didn't bother trying to sell the car at all.

A++, would buy from again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When you buy a Tesla online you pay a minor deposit and then wait for the reasonably close to first in/first out system to provide you with a car.

When you buy a Ford online you pay a minor deposit which is then sent to a Ford dealership and then you have to contact the Ford dealership and tell them what you want and then they may or may not put it into the order system and may or may not have any allocation and it may or may not ever get built and if it does the dealer may or may not sell it out from under you or demand a huge ADM for it and they may or may not force you to pay for things like $499 brake light blinkers or $299 nitrogen filled tires or $999 doc fees.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yeah I will say I was jealous of how easy it is to buy a Tesla. What a lovely experience buying most cars is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I never stepped foot inside the Ford dealer I bought my Mach-E from. Some dealers seem to be getting the hint that they need to make the experience less awful.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nessus posted:

Yes, it does.

Saw one on the road for the 1st time ever yesterday.

It looks very aero and I suspect if Toyota did an EV with this, it would manage 250miles on a 50kwh battery.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, it does.

Saw one on the road for the 1st time ever yesterday.

It looks very aero and I suspect if Toyota did an EV with this, it would manage 250miles on a 50kwh battery.

that looks great!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah I will say I was jealous of how easy it is to buy a Tesla. What a lovely experience buying most cars is.

That stuff is great but if you want HUDs, radiant heating, and climate controlled cup holders a Tesla ain’t gonna be your car. They are, first and foremost, a cheaply produced car and that extends to a lack of interior and exterior options.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd love to get a new Prius when the lease runs out on my Nexo next year but currently dealers are tacking on a $10k price gouge to a $30k car. Just ridiculous.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

They claim 44 miles on the 13.6 kWh battery it has. Extrapolating to 50 kWh would give about 160 mile range. Doesn’t seem that impressive.

Edit: In comparison, e308 wagon claims 250 mile range on a net 50,8 kWh battery. Real life to be seen.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 2, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The Toyota bz4x also has pretty poo poo efficiency iirc.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's called the Busy Forks and no one will ever convince me otherwise :colbert:

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

DoLittle posted:

They claim 44 miles on the 13.6 kWh battery it has. Extrapolating to 50 kWh would give about 160 mile range. Doesn’t seem that impressive.

Edit: In comparison, e308 wagon claims 250 mile range on a net 50,8 kWh battery. Real life to be seen.

Toyota doesn't use the full battery to provide the 44 mi as they save about 1.5kWh for hybrid mode plus some on the high end to protect the battery. Toyota is also pretty conservative on the battery percentage they actually let you use, so I'd expect the actual efficiency to be quite high.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The point is I’d rather push that Prius than drive a Tesla. It’s actually got me window shopping… if they had a PHEV mode…

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bird with big dick posted:

When you buy a Ford online you pay a minor deposit which is then sent to a Ford dealership and then you have to contact the Ford dealership and tell them what you want and then they may or may not put it into the order system and may or may not have any allocation and it may or may not ever get built and if it does the dealer may or may not sell it out from under you or demand a huge ADM for it and they may or may not force you to pay for things like $499 brake light blinkers or $299 nitrogen filled tires or $999 doc fees.

This is the exact same experience I've had with Chevy/GM so far.

Except my understanding is that GM won't let the dealer sell it out from under you. We'll see. I may cancel the Bolt before it's even built.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nessus posted:

Funny because the first time I saw a picture of the new Prius, I thought it looked a lot like a Tesla from the side.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Funny because the first time I saw a picture of the new Prius, I thought it looked a lot like a Tesla from the side.

I also see a lot of Tesla's design influence knocking around newer cars.

Which is funny because the Model S looked a lot like a Maserati to me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

Model 3 looks more bulbous. The hood to greenhouse transition is a more pronounced than on the new Prius, which is more wedge shaped. But beyond the general shape the styling details make a big difference.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Mach-E orders are back open, price dropped $1,000-$4,000, standard range is now a LFP battery with 45 more HP on the AWD.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

That stuff is great but if you want HUDs, radiant heating, and climate controlled cup holders a Tesla ain’t gonna be your car.

Hold up what the heck is a climate controlled cup holder and how is this the first I’m hearing of it?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

DoLittle posted:

Huh?

44 miles in a 13.6 kWh battery is 3.23 miles/kWh. Heck my Kia Niro manages over 3.8 miles/kWh.

Maybe it relates to being a hybrid but that doesn't make sense.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nessus posted:

The point is I’d rather push that Prius than drive a Tesla. It’s actually got me window shopping… if they had a PHEV mode…

They do and it's pretty quick, 0-60 around 6.5 seconds.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tiny Timbs posted:

That stuff is great but if you want HUDs, radiant heating, and climate controlled cup holders a Tesla ain’t gonna be your car. They are, first and foremost, a cheaply produced car and that extends to a lack of interior and exterior options.

I thought the Model S had heated and cooled cupholders? Sure that was mentioned in some reviews.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
And yet GM still won't bring back the scrotum chiller.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Hyundai dropped the lease rebate from $7500 to $5000 for the Ioniq 6.

Not sure what they are thinking as Ioniq 5s and 6s pile up on dealer lots.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 3, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Hyundai dropped the lease rebate from $7500 to $5000 for the Ioniq 6.

Not sure what they are thinking as Ioniq 5s and 6s pile up on dealer lots.

I'm seeing the same drop on the Ioniq 5 as well on most dealer websites. A shame as I'm also seeing more Ioniq 5's in stock than I have in the last few months.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just put a deposit down on an EV9 :ohdear:

Probably not until 2024 tho :sigh:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

withoutclass posted:

I'm seeing the same drop on the Ioniq 5 as well on most dealer websites. A shame as I'm also seeing more Ioniq 5's in stock than I have in the last few months.

If there are more cars in stock, you can probably get the dealers to come down on price, especially toward the end of the month. Most dealers here were charging $5-10k above MSRP six months ago, but the two lots I visited last week had a ton of 5's in various configurations, and the markups seem to have gone away.

I had to fight a little to get a 6 at MSRP (they are definitely not stacking up on lots yet), but I feel like I could have talked them way down on a 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WhiteHowler posted:

If there are more cars in stock, you can probably get the dealers to come down on price, especially toward the end of the month. Most dealers here were charging $5-10k above MSRP six months ago, but the two lots I visited last week had a ton of 5's in various configurations, and the markups seem to have gone away.

I had to fight a little to get a 6 at MSRP (they are definitely not stacking up on lots yet), but I feel like I could have talked them way down on a 5.

This is a good idea. I've never seen the big markups online for the Ioniq 5 but we may start to see pressure to sell below.