Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

psydude posted:

In case anyone didn't catch it the first time around, that's just in Bakhmut.

i'm glad you said this because i sure as gently caress didn't, holy macaroni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

psydude posted:

In case anyone didn't catch it the first time around, that's just in Bakhmut.

Kith posted:

i'm glad you said this because i sure as gently caress didn't, holy macaroni

Shes Not Impressed posted:

A little clarification on the Kirby comment courtesy of Kofman:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1653159844512247809?s=20

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Even after that clarification, ~10k dead in 3 months is still insane.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

psydude posted:

Even after that clarification, ~10k dead in 3 months is still insane.

for comparison US KIA in vietnam peaked around 500/mo and that almost destabilized society

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

shame on an IGA posted:

for comparison US KIA in vietnam peaked around 500/mo and that almost destabilized society

Almost like the figures they're issuing are bullshit.

Guess we'll see, if the ukr figures are even ballpark correct it'll look like Kharkiv all over again

E: https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1653084730739548160 Pretty cool, most of the remote setups so far seemed to use Xbox controllers

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 2, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BrotherJayne posted:

Guess we'll see, if the ukr figures are even ballpark correct it'll look like Kharkiv all over again

If they're off by a factor of ten, that's still as many dead per month as the US in Vietnam, but in a smaller country (roughly 145 million in Russia now, and 200 million in late 60s USA). And I don't think they're that far off.

Of course, Russia is a very different society - it would take a lot more to cause any notable instability there.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

orange juche posted:

Quantity is a quality all its own is one of the most disgusting sayings ever because the side with the more technically superior equipment is going to make mincemeat of the opposing side, sometimes literally.

Ask the British when they were fighting Zulu tribesmen armed with clubs, spears and hide shields, and they had the gatling gun.

Well, there is a famous saying about that.

"Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim gun, and they have not."

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 3, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

The UKR estimates have been way higher than the US and UK estimates. In that sense, the US numbers are likely more conservative than reality.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Computer viking posted:

Of course, Russia is a very different society - it would take a lot more to cause any notable instability there.

I mean, things are getting bombed, set on fire, and otherwise destroyed there at a seemingly high rate. I think there was always some of this going on though, we’re just hearing more about it. Particularly things like the power going out because a substation decided to let the magic smoke out, that deferred maintenance was always going to catch them sooner or later.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: NM

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1653206573609566208?s=20

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's clearly no coincidence that Putin's biggest cheerleader just got fired from Fox News a week ago.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

You should have seen the ferrets at the end of it! Blood red from nose to front legs. Happy and chittering. Furiously cleaning themselves then passing out on top of the equally tuckered out dog.

I never knew something could sound so horrific and so adorable at the same time.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

psydude posted:

The UKR estimates have been way higher than the US and UK estimates. In that sense, the US numbers are likely more conservative than reality.

The US and Israeli estimates seem in line with the artillery disparity.

Regardless, if the casualties are anything like the UK or UA figgies, hopefully there is a front wide collapse and peace before the end of the year

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, there is a famous saying about that.

"Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim, and they have not."
"the Maxim gun" - it's in some sort of iambic meter.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I mean, things are getting bombed, set on fire, and otherwise destroyed there at a seemingly high rate. I think there was always some of this going on though, we’re just hearing more about it. Particularly things like the power going out because a substation decided to let the magic smoke out, that deferred maintenance was always going to catch them sooner or later.

I doubt we'll truly know for decades, but that's my impression as well - some of it is probably sabotage, but a lot is just a lot of normal-for-Russia incidents that'd normally pass without notice.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 2, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BrotherJayne posted:

Regardless, if the casualties are anything like the UK or UA figgies, hopefully there is a front wide collapse and peace before the end of the year

I don't think we're getting peace even if Russia is pushed back to the internationally recognized borders, I expect the Russians are going to keep lobbing artillery shells and missiles at Ukraine even afterwards.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think we're getting peace even if Russia is pushed back to the internationally recognized borders, I expect the Russians are going to keep lobbing artillery shells and missiles at Ukraine even afterwards.

Really I think the only way this truly ends is if Putin falls out a window, some new guy comes in and decides that the Russian economy is going to be in shambles for the next fifty years if they keep being dicks and calls it off so they can get off the sanctions list.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cimber posted:

Really I think the only way this truly ends is if Putin falls out a window, some new guy comes in and decides that the Russian economy is going to be in shambles for the next fifty years if they keep being dicks and calls it off so they can get off the sanctions list.

Yes, and within decade there will be a cabinet coup where this new leader dies "naturally" and the imperialists take over, or the new leader degenerates into a drunken husk while the Putin-worshiping prime minister who yearns the glory years of early-2000's takes over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Odds are that anyone who takes over directly from Putin will be generally a worse, less competent person.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Or a worse, MORE competent person. The Pence scenario, if you will.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mzuri posted:

Or a worse, MORE competent person. The Pence scenario, if you will.

He's killed all of those already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's killed all of those already.

This. All the competent ones fled or were killed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am hardly a Kremlinologist, but it seems to me they are currently on a no-breaks downhill radicalisation slope. Putin may be a True Believer dipshit, but the people vying for his attention are even MORE True Believer.

There's nobody who can say "uh guys, there's a cliff coming up" without getting branded a "russophobe" or "anti-Russian".

Choo choo, we are on the Acceleration train. The only way I can see it stopping is via a horrific train crash when the whole nation derails.

e: That scenario is also what European leaders are terrified of. The takeaway from Scholz' and Macron's calls with Putin is "oh poo poo, Putin actually believes this nonsense and reality doesn't penetrate at all".

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 2, 2023

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Odds are that anyone who takes over directly from Putin will be generally a worse, less competent person.

Khrushchev scenario may not be the worst thing happening here.

“Death of Stalin 2: Putin on ice”

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There are a number of factions which could take over in the event Putin dies peacefully in his sleep while falling out of a window.

- the technocrats - Mikhail Mishushtin (prime minister), Elvura Nabiullina (central bank head). These are the people who would lead Russia back to something approaching normalcy and solvency. They have absolutely no power base and no chance of taking power.

- the loyalists - Sergei Shoigu (defense minister), Sergei Lavrov (foreign minister), Dmitriy Medvedev (whatever he's doing now). These are people who owe everything they have to Putin liking them and are wildly corrupt. They have some minor power base but almost certainly will not take power and instead will be the scapegoats for everything bad that happened.

- the spies - Nikolai Patrushev (head of national security council), Alexander Bortnikov (head of FSB). These are the people who know where all the bodies are buried and are most likely to take over. However they will last in that role about as long as Lavrenty Beria did after Stalin's death.

- the warlords - Yevgeny Prigozhin (head of Wagner PMC), Ramzan Kadyrov (proconsul of Chechnya), Dmitiry Rogozin (professional troll). These guys have their own private militias and no matter who takes over in Moscow they will have guns and a veto. Will almost certainly in the short term cause massive instability. Hell, even Gazprom has their own militia now.

- the dissidents - Navalny et. al. They have no chance whatsoever of taking power unless a massive revolution/civil war happens.

Basically in the event of Putin dying suddenly, Russia is going to very quickly look like a nuclear-armed Syria.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Girkin shall arise

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Girkin shall arise

you mean the dude who couldn't even last in the DPR without getting turfed out is going to take over all of Russia

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What not? 2023 has to top 2022 somehow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lum_ posted:

you mean the dude who couldn't even last in the DPR without getting turfed out is going to take over all of Russia

Believe it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lukashenko has been wanting this for decades.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

*irony alarm starts going off*

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

quote:

Peer Kristian Aale, Moscow correspondent for Aftenposten

In the centre of Moscow, there's a statue of a Ukrainian poet. Every day, a handful of Russians put down flowers here, while the police tries to stop them. I try to take a photo of this. Two policemen come running. They knock my camera away, and drag me towards a police car.

A Russian woman is taken by the police after laying down flowers by a statue of an Ukrainian poet in Moscow. The woman is one of many Russians now creating trouble for Putin. (Reuters/NTB)

All criticism of the war against Ukraine is seen as treason. And people are sentenced to long prison sentences for speaking out. Now, a few brave Russians are creating trouble for president Vladimir Putin.

The Russians responded
In the middle of January, Russia bombed a block of flats in the Ukrainian city of Dnipro. 46 people were killed, among them six children. This was a typical Soviet block, of a kind that's everywhere in both Ukraine and Russia. Social media was full of pictures of the tragedy. Manny Russians recognized the scene - they had the same kitchens, the same furniture, the same stroller.

A number of Russians responded by creating 86 memorials in 62 cities throughout Russia. They came there with flowers, toys, and Ukrainian flags. Often, these memorials are by statues of Ukrainian authors or poets. Some are seen kneeling by these memorials.

- I want to show solidarity with the Ukrainians and my opposition to the war, says Mikhail (57) to Aftenposten.

He has placed flowers at the Ukrainian statue in Moscow a number of times. The police have removed multiple of these spontaneous memorials, but they have reappeared elsewhere.

The Russians keep inventing news ways to show their disapproval of the war. Among the more surprising, fish has become an important symbol.

Was wiretapped, went to jail
Putin sent his soldiers into Ukraine the 24th of February last year. That was also the beginning of a war against all criticism in Russia.

Journalists, activists, and the opposition have been jailed. Many have fled. The police also go for normal people. At least 7000 people have been charged the last year, according to new public statistics. Several hundreds have been apprehended just for things they said on the street, in a café, or in church.

This week, a policeman was sentenced to seven years in jail for having criticized the war in a private phone call. The government attorney argued that the conversation was public because it was being wire tapped.

- The political suppression has grown extremely heavy handed. Russia has become a military police state with totalitarian tendencies, says the Carnegie researcher Andrej Solnikov to Aftenposten.

Still, there are many Russians who dare to resist Putin. In Moscow I often see a crossed-out fish. A history from Siberia explains why.

(From Telegram)

Why a fish?
Last fall, a woman wrote "No to w*r" (в***а) on a building in Tjumen in Siberia. People read w*r as "war". The police arrested her. During the court case, she argued that the word wasn't война (voyna, war), but во́бла (vóbla - roach, as in the fish).

- I hate that fish. Can't stand the smell, she said.

The judge found her not guilty. The story spread in social media. Quickly, images started popping up of a fish with a red slash, meaning No to War.

- Many Russians want to show their unhappiness, but don't want to go to jail. Thus they use hidden symbols, explains Aleksandra Arkhipova to Aftenposten.

The well known anthropologist is charting protests against the war.

- Such hidden messaging is effective. When the brain has to work a bit to understand the meaning, you remember it better. It also increases the change of passing censorship.

(Both from Telegram)

Fish and ballerinas
Every morning, you can see maintenance workers removing graffiti with messages of peace around Moscow. Fish and other hidden symbols are often left up. Such as ballet dancers.

When the Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev died in 1982, the TV channels played the ballet Swan Lake on repeat for days, until a new leader was chosen. The same happened when his successor died in 1984. And the next one the year after.

Swan Lake and ballet dancers indicate that you want Putin to die, Arkhipova explains.

Here's a few other examples of Russian protests:
- In social media, people write things like "For 23 years, I've been longing for the ballet". Which is as long as Putin has been in power.
- Throughout Russia, there's an ongoing campaign to recruit more soldiers. People keep tagging these with "Gruz 200" - cargo 200, the code word for dead soldiers.
- In Russia, it's still illegal to use the word "war". Instead, you're supposed to use "special operation". Many are trying to push against this by pointing out the absurdity. They use the cover of Tolstoi's famous novel War and Peace, photoshopped to say "Special Operation and Peace". House walls are tagged with "As my grandmother used to say: May there never be another Special Operation".

- This is an attempt to puncture the Russian propaganda, says Arkhipova.

Such protests also have another function, according to Arkhipova. They create great trouble for Putin.

(Both from Telegram)

Putin's Strategy
Seven out of ten Russians support the war. That's the number from a series of polls the last year. Several experts think the numbers are artificially high because many are afraid of saying what they really mean about the situation now. The respected sociologist Gregorij Judin thinks a more correct image looks like this:
- 15 to 20 percent are aggressive, and strongly pro war
- 20 to 25 percent are against the war
- The rest say they are pro war. In reality they are trying to close their eyes and avoid facing what's going on.

- This distribution has been fairly stable the last year, says Judin to Aftenposten.

Still, Putin repeatedly claims that the entire population supports what he is doing in Ukraine. And this is repeated daily on TV.

The regime has a conscious strategy in presenting it as if everyone supports the war, Kolesnikov explains.
- Those who are against, are to believe that they are entirely alone. They are to believe that there is something wrong wit them. Many will then join what they assume is the majority, says the Carnegie researcher.

And this is where these protests play a vital role, in the opinion of the researchers.

Creates trouble for Putin
The hidden symbols against the war show that people are not alone. That may have an outsized effect, in Arkhipova's opinion.

- The government strikes this down hard because they fear this activity. The Kremlin needs support from a great majority of Russians, and they are afraid of everything that could undermine it.

The last year has also seen a great rise in jokes about the war and the situation in Russia. Putin says Russia fights Ukrainian nazis, even though experts say this is a lie. Some critics claim that the Russian regime has acquired some fascist characteristics. In November, Russia had to quickly pull out of the Ukrainian city of Kherson. This quickly led to jokes like this:

Putin: Shoigu, why are we pulling out of Kherson?
Shoigu: But Mister President - you yourself gave the order to cleanse Ukraine of fascists and nazis.

A man who told this joke at work was apprehended by the police. Now he's at risk of jailtime. Even before the war, the Kremlin treated comics who joked about the political elite harshly. The security police FSB supposedly even tried to poison a famous satiricist.

- The worst thing for an authoritarian leader or dictator isn't criticism, it's people laughing at you. When people laugh, they being to see how absurd the situation is. They stop being afraid, said the opposition politician Vladimir Kara-Murza to Aftenposten a year ago. Last week he was sentenced to 25 years in jail.

Even the brutal dictator Josef Stalin couldn't stop the Russians from telling political jokes. That in spite of it for some time being sentenced on par with high treason. And even today, the Kremlin can't entirely stop people from showing their unhappiness. Like with the flowers.

In Russian, goose say га-га, ga-ga. This one says гаага - Haag, seat of the international court of justice. (From Telegram)

The long arm of the law vs Flowers
Every weekend, there are two police cars posted by the statue of the Ukrainian poet Lesia Ukrainka in Moscow. Sometimes they have their light bars on to scare people away. During week days, there's usually just one police car. Some Russians still manage to put down flowers every day. There are people of all ages contributing.

- It's not just to show resistance against the war. I'm ashamed that we couldn't stop this from happening. If we Russians had paid more attention to the authoritarian developments twenty years ago, we could have done something. Then we wouldn't have this war, says Mikhail.

When I try to get a photo of someone laying flowers, I'm quickly stopped by the police. At first, they drag me towards a police car, but then they let me go. I ask them if there is a law against laying down flowers.

- No, but we have orders from up high to stop people from doing it. I personally think it's completely idiotic, one of them answers.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 2, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CommieGIR posted:

This. All the competent ones fled or were killed.

This really isn't true. Putin has only really gone after people solidly outside of his own power structure. People within it are safe under his roof, to use a Russianism, and Putin is already enough of a figurehead that much of the actual administering of the country is done by other people. There's a lot of room for someone generally more competent and less out of touch to replace him and I think it would be genuinely foolish to assume that whoever follows Putin is going to be similarly incompetent. Putin has pissed away more combat power and several decades of military buildup and modernization for about a hundred mile ribbon of land in a spectacularly ill-conceived war.

From a foreign/NATO perspective, one of the biggest ongoing risks of this war, both at Putin's level and in the leadership of the Russian military is that some of the most useless or actively counter-productive people get forced out and replaced with people even a bit more interested in doing their jobs. 'Worse and more competent' is a very real possibility at almost every level, especially when you're talking about replacing people who have been using their positions to steal everything possible. As a pretty vivid example of this, look at the months where Surovikin was in charge (which Russia spent consolidating it's positions, preserving and strengthening its forces, establishing the mobilization/training pipeline and withdrawing from suicidal positions to hold etc.) and his subsequent replacement with Gerasimov who promised a big flashy offensive that would finally turn the war around.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm still of the opinion that once Putin falls almost every notable on that list is either going to catch a bullet or a window until you're down to mid level bureaucrats and mobsters who are somewhat confident and charismatic stepping into roles. People like that don't inspire loyalty there will be a purge and counter purge once things kick off.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
most kremlinologists that I've seen discuss it seem to expect some sort of arrangement to be worked out between, essentially, the security state powers that be and the more competent administrative technocrats already running much of Russia, though the likelihood of that depends a lot on the circumstances of Putin leaving power.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

Thanks for the article, this was the "highlight" for me:

quote:

This week, a policeman was sentenced to seven years in jail for having criticized the war in a private phone call. The government attorney argued that the conversation was public because it was being wire tapped.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EasilyConfused posted:

I was hoping someone would notice that - it's some next level legal argumentation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

This reminds me of the time Germany fined a guy 5000 euros for flipping off the police. He wasn't actually flipping off the police, he was flipping off a guy who was passing him at high speed. This triggered a speed camera, which caught the exact moment the guy flipped the bird. And the courts argued that he had insulted the cops reviewing the photo of the other guy speeding and had to apologize to them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lum_ posted:

There are a number of factions which could take over in the event Putin dies peacefully in his sleep while falling out of a window.

- the technocrats - Mikhail Mishushtin (prime minister), Elvura Nabiullina (central bank head). These are the people who would lead Russia back to something approaching normalcy and solvency. They have absolutely no power base and no chance of taking power.

- the loyalists - Sergei Shoigu (defense minister), Sergei Lavrov (foreign minister), Dmitriy Medvedev (whatever he's doing now). These are people who owe everything they have to Putin liking them and are wildly corrupt. They have some minor power base but almost certainly will not take power and instead will be the scapegoats for everything bad that happened.

- the spies - Nikolai Patrushev (head of national security council), Alexander Bortnikov (head of FSB). These are the people who know where all the bodies are buried and are most likely to take over. However they will last in that role about as long as Lavrenty Beria did after Stalin's death.

- the warlords - Yevgeny Prigozhin (head of Wagner PMC), Ramzan Kadyrov (proconsul of Chechnya), Dmitiry Rogozin (professional troll). These guys have their own private militias and no matter who takes over in Moscow they will have guns and a veto. Will almost certainly in the short term cause massive instability. Hell, even Gazprom has their own militia now.

- the dissidents - Navalny et. al. They have no chance whatsoever of taking power unless a massive revolution/civil war happens.

Basically in the event of Putin dying suddenly, Russia is going to very quickly look like a nuclear-armed Syria.

Very good and informative, thank you!

Although one addition: There is no way Shoigu or Kadyrov becomes anything more than scapegoats, because they aren't considered Russians, but people from minorities. Kadyrov has the muscle, but there is absolutely no chance that Rosgvardia leaders after Putin accept him as anything else than a regional warlord working for the boss man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Der Kyhe posted:

Very good and informative, thank you!

Although one addition: There is no way Shoigu or Kadyrov becomes anything more than scapegoats, because they aren't considered Russians, but people from minorities. Kadyrov has the muscle, but there is absolutely no chance that Rosgvardia leaders after Putin accept him as anything else than a regional warlord working for the boss man.

Then you just remove the leaders that won't accept you, this is dictatorship 101