Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

commercial real estate eating poo poo is so good
debt the first 5000 years etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

financial version of jan 6

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I get a real Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Holy Grail scene vibe from these quotes. The only true Grail analog might be to tax the hell out of the rich. But that will never be chosen. So instead those in power will continue to choose poorly, waste away and die horribly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just say its not constitutional lol. come on.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
[Doom Econ]Don't Feed the Rats

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

A banking opportunity for a handful of big banks to gobble up a bunch of regional banks on the cheap

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh? Is it a job market that you like? Higher unemployment and increased desperate, disenfranchised population?
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1653454460985671708?t=sZAHarEbPh9VYqdZ4As6EA&s=19

🤔

My wife has applied to 20+ jobs the last month, all referrals from people within the company and/or department, with only 3 callbacks so far. She has 14yrs of experience working multiple roles within the best company in her field. Before the last year she had recruiters and headhunters reaching out to her a lot and it’s all dried up now.

Thanks Jpow, wish he would lose his job or something else :guillotine:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Trump is going to be president again.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

My wife has applied to 20+ jobs the last month, all referrals from people within the company and/or department, with only 3 callbacks so far. She has 14yrs of experience working multiple roles within the best company in her field. Before the last year she had recruiters and headhunters reaching out to her a lot and it’s all dried up now.

Thanks Jpow, wish he would lose his job or something else :guillotine:

My wife is in a similar boat but even more wild is that some of the interviewers she was talking to posted about losing their jobs on LinkedIn in the last few weeks. They didn't work at the same companies.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

thread title

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Raccooon posted:

:trumppop:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I don't think there has ever been a recession where the ruling party was clamoring for higher unemployment. Will be some good quotes and sound clips when the recession hits and drags into election season. 8% unemployment rate will be just fine.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oglethorpe posted:

lmao check out those market caps

What's this view from?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

And lmao at libs going nuts and demanding jobless people not vote for the Republicans after the democrats spent a year saying they want higher unemployment.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

While they say we need higher unemployment, have anyone even mention what they were going to do to help those unemployed while they're out of a job?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well...since when did anyone in power ever give a gently caress what we thought about anything? I truly don't think that the wealthy and powerful think of us as much more than NPC guests in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

I don't want to ride Voelker Shock, it's too intense.

I want to get off Voelker Shock

This Hamburger from Mcdonald's Stall 4 is really bad value

Help! I'm drowning!

Guest 2168 has drowned

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, these quotes about unemployment are going to age unbelievably poorly when people are actually out of work. Feel bad for people getting caught out switching jobs now who are probably going to get caught up in the first round of truly major layoffs.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

While they say we need higher unemployment, have anyone even mention what they were going to do to help those unemployed while they're out of a job?

I'm sorry you stupid sweaty motherfucker, do you want the double rear end unnameable that is BUTT RUMP to come back?

VOT

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Was the problem with the banks already there or did the Fed cause a loss of faith in regional banks when it saved SVB?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Orvin posted:

I get a real Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Holy Grail scene vibe from these quotes. The only true Grail analog might be to tax the hell out of the rich. But that will never be chosen. So instead those in power will continue to choose poorly, waste away and die horribly.

tax the hell out of the rich?? that doesn't sound like the jesus i know. ah, now look here at this ornate diamond studded chalice, surely this is what jesus would have preferred.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Un-paywalled version

https://archive.ph/nRbPU

[Doom Loop Econ] thread title

Interesting

Looking into it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Raccooon posted:

Trump legalized weed nationally, Biden breaks strikes and stomps unions.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

David's bridal is closing all stores June 2nd according to WARN notices. BB&BY has started issuing WARN notices for their stores.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
JPM: One bank to rule them all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trump will win but I don’t see how he can turn around the economic conditions without like 10% inflation

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't wait for everyone to start saying my favorite words again.

STRONG

SAFE

STABLE

SOLID

STEADY

SECURE

STOUT

SOUND

STURDY

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

STRONG

SAFE

STABLE

SOLID

STEADY

SECURE

STOUT

SOUND

STURDY

TECHNOLOGIC

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Raccooon posted:

Was the problem with the banks already there or did the Fed cause a loss of faith in regional banks when it saved SVB?

The problem was already there and the fed and treasury exacerbated it by causing a loss of faith in regional banks.

It was clear at the time the decision they made was a huge mistake and was going to make things worse.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Raccooon posted:

It depends which problem you're talking about. SVB's exposure to HTM securities was very real, and so is First Republic's huge proportion of uninsured deposits.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Discovering that all the banking regulations being removed turned each bank into a ponzi scheme. Very cool

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

Un-paywalled version

https://archive.ph/nRbPU

[Doom Loop Econ] thread title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, these quotes about unemployment are going to age unbelievably poorly when people are actually out of work. Feel bad for people getting caught out switching jobs now who are probably going to get caught up in the first round of truly major layoffs.

Having already gone through two "once in a lifetime" recessions as an adult, I remember in the prior two sometimes the people who got laid off in the first round ultimately ended up being being a lot luckier than the people in the later rounds because the competition to find a new job was a lot less intense as there were both far fewer people out looking that early in the cycle but also a lot more jobs still available. It was the people that got laid off in the later rounds that struggled the most to find new employment.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1175766532590145536

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1168882690713690112

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

The problem was already there and the fed and treasury exacerbated it by causing a loss of faith in regional banks.

It was clear at the time the decision they made was a huge mistake and was going to make things worse.

I feel like Yellen really sealed it when she said out loud that they'd make sure politically connected banks would be fully taken care of but that protection didn't extend to all banks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol he didn’t even understand interest rates

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-is-inflation-so-sticky-it-could-be-corporate-profits-b78d90b7?mod=e2tw The loving WSJ is posting an article here about how much of "inflation" is just profit taking, god they got too greedy and ended up blowing up the economy again.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

David's bridal is closing all stores June 2nd according to WARN notices. BB&BY has started issuing WARN notices for their stores.

Suburban white lady culture is facing an extinction event.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

LionYeti posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-is-inflation-so-sticky-it-could-be-corporate-profits-b78d90b7?mod=e2tw The loving WSJ is posting an article here about how much of "inflation" is just profit taking, god they got too greedy and ended up blowing up the economy again.

The consumer is strong. Excess savings are still high. You have room to continue hiking prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

no one is saying "don't make money" even
just don't make as much money
just a little bit less and this whole drat game gets to keep going another few rounds