Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
in idle loops, i got to the point where i can concievably do dark rituals (enough soulstones, enough mana to complete the 5x dark magic, 1x ritual), but...

the ritual completes before i can complete all three progress bars, and it wont repeat! do i just need to grind stats or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

crime weed posted:

in idle loops, i got to the point where i can concievably do dark rituals (enough soulstones, enough mana to complete the 5x dark magic, 1x ritual), but...

the ritual completes before i can complete all three progress bars, and it wont repeat! do i just need to grind stats or something?

Yeah if I remember you have to finish in one activation which means your progress per point of mana has to be high enough. So yeah grind trainings and stuff and do the dark ritual as late as possible in the run.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

crime weed posted:

Yeah progress you get on dark ritual is also tied to your dark magic skill so the higher your dark magic is the easier it is to complete.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Idle Loops: Question about an action from the fourth zone: is there any point to Imbue Body? It gives you level 1 of every skill for free at the start of every loop, but that's the cheapest level and it doesn't make the later levels cheaper (e.g. level 2 still costs 200 XP instead of 100 XP, even though it's now the "first" level you need to earn each loop instead of the second), and when you're getting hundreds of levels in every stat every loop, a single point at the very start is basically nothing. It's not like it's going to help you snowball, either; a 1% mana discount on the first lock you pick or whatever doesn't seem important by the time you can afford Imbue Body and have tens of thousands of mana to spend at the end of each loop.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Idle Loops: Question about an action from the fourth zone: is there any point to Imbue Body? It gives you level 1 of every skill for free at the start of every loop, but that's the cheapest level and it doesn't make the later levels cheaper (e.g. level 2 still costs 200 XP instead of 100 XP, even though it's now the "first" level you need to earn each loop instead of the second), and when you're getting hundreds of levels in every stat every loop, a single point at the very start is basically nothing. It's not like it's going to help you snowball, either; a 1% mana discount on the first lock you pick or whatever doesn't seem important by the time you can afford Imbue Body and have tens of thousands of mana to spend at the end of each loop.

Later on, there’s a potion that doubles the effect, and there’s an exit with a strict time limit it might help you make. It’s definitely a late-game action, if not just optional

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Randalor posted:

Are there any good resources/tutorials on how to start making idle games? And are there any recommendations for an easier-to-use game engine to make an idle game with?

I have an idea for a narrative-driven idle game that I want to try making, but I'm coming into this from the perspective of someone who hasn't touched programming since high-school in the early 00's, and that was Javascript.

This is an older guide, but maybe helpful:

https://kastark.co.uk/articles/incrementals.html

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Quoting to read later

Edit: oh, browser game

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Anything decent out there for iPads? I'm going to be in hospital for a few days and need something more engaging than Adventure Ages or whatever. Thanks for any help!

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Squirrel loops just updated with a pretty well made tutorial. With secrets :O

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

scaterry posted:

Squirrel loops just updated with a pretty well made tutorial. With secrets :O

I am playing this tutorial right now, having never played that loops series.
It feels more like a puzzle game then an idle game for now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Browser-based: Incremental Mass Rewritten is stealing all my attention lately:
https://raw.githack.com/mrredshark77/incremental-mass-rewritten/v0.7-Infinity/index.html

It's like Synergism, except less polished. There are a few spots that are egregious but only one that actively required me to use the Discord to understand what to do*. And there's a lot of content, I'm nine days and seven prestige layers in and like halfway through the Discord channels' worth of progress. So if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

*there's this resource that you allocate to ten different outcomes, either totally randomly one at a time, totally randomly ten at a time, or semi-randomly along a bell curve of likely outcomes for all ~400 of them that you get in reasonable time. You can do a total-respec freely. And yes, that means the correct strat is to mash that 10 button until you're out and respec if you don't get two-sigma-high amounts of the three best ones. And yes, the best way to do that is to paste something from the Discord into your browser console. And yes, this is loving stupid as hell. Thankfully after a few resets the increase is marginal enough that I don't bother, and I think I didn't even really need to bother to begin with and a few hours more would have gotten me over the hump either way.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Been binging lately on Ironwood RPG which is sort-of multiplayer number-go-up game with crafting and combat. Reminds me a lot of Melvor Idle but with a much more satisfying loop with the multiplayer portion having access to a player-made equipment and combat-drops market giving reason to sell upgraded gear, potions, etc. Very simplistic UI and minimal attention needed - gathering continues offline with no time cap (that I have seen) and only combat requiring refreshing if you run out of hp.

Main reason to spend and make money for crafters right now seems to be mostly in upgrading your house for faster/automated crafting.

There's also Guilds and apparently things to upgrade there but they're expensive so no idea what exactly is in them, yet :shrug:

No mtx outside of cosmetic gems next to names.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 7, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's like Synergism, except less polished. There are a few spots that are egregious
i'm glad you're having fun but this is a rough sell

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sivart13 posted:

Yeah, it feels like you run face first into a wall pretty quickly trying to get 1e13 dark matter and it feels like it's nothing but a "hurry up and wait" scenario? Ugh.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think a lot of people went through IMR when it was posted in the thread about a year ago. I think at the time I unlocked the challenges where you can do any combination at levels 1-10 and immediately quit because I learned to hate that mechanic in Synergism.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sivart13 posted:

well I wasn't about to lie

if it wasn't for having to look up the quantum challenge levels on discord, and the aforementioned stupid loving primordium particles mechanic, and a few spots where the best strat is "reset over and over really quickly for +1 of a resource to get to 50 or so" how do you even make that mistake more than once per game?

I would be having a lot more fun and actually recommend it! :shobon:

but as is I'm at least entertained until USI updates again

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Rynoto posted:

Been binging lately on Ironwood RPG which is sort-of multiplayer number-go-up game with crafting and combat. Reminds me a lot of Melvor Idle but with a much more satisfying loop with the multiplayer portion having access to a player-made equipment and combat-drops market giving reason to sell upgraded gear, potions, etc. Very simplistic UI and minimal attention needed - gathering continues offline with no time cap (that I have seen) and only combat requiring refreshing if you run out of hp.

Main reason to spend and make money for crafters right now seems to be mostly in upgrading your house for faster/automated crafting.

There's also Guilds and apparently things to upgrade there but they're expensive so no idea what exactly is in them, yet :shrug:

No mtx outside of cosmetic gems next to names.

I'm playing this as well. Was gonna try and drum up interest when it got closer to server reset / full release. I can probably afford a guild if there is others interested. Been playing since the beta started so I've got a decent chunk of cash.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Crell posted:

I'm playing this as well. Was gonna try and drum up interest when it got closer to server reset / full release. I can probably afford a guild if there is others interested. Been playing since the beta started so I've got a decent chunk of cash.

This looks dope. Are there any beginner guides floating around? Quick google didn't reveal any but I always like having at least a basic sense of what I'm supposed to be doing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dunno about beginning guides I've been just winging it. Reminds me of a smaller Melvor Idle. If someone makes a guild I'll join it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aerox posted:

This looks dope. Are there any beginner guides floating around? Quick google didn't reveal any but I always like having at least a basic sense of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Looking at the change log doesn't look like it's been around too long, their reddit has some posts but it seems like the action is on discord from the posts not sure it's popping their either.

They do say there will be a wipe before launch so unless it turns into a forever beta (don't be surprised if the wipe on launch is quietly dropped and launch becomes a running joke, it's common in this type of game). Just pick a skill and idle.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm glad to see it doesn't have the "you lose all the loot because you looked away for 2 minutes" thing that Melvor idle has. Or have some low loot backpack ceilings while fighting? Some nice idle friendly differences so far.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I will make a guild in a few hours, looks like a few people interested at least. I can write up some more info later too.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
GOONS has been made

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So in Ironwood what can we do as members of the guild, exactly?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Feel bad about using a dumb throwaway name now. But from what little I know of ironwood guilds it's mostly building upgrades for character buffs.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Crell posted:

GOONS has been made

applies as Saraiguma

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Crell posted:

GOONS has been made

Thanks; applied with this name

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Crell posted:

GOONS has been made

Applied to.

Not a huge fan of MELVIN type of incremental, but testing the waters.

How you craft coal anyway?

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 11, 2023

Resplendentoops
Dec 24, 2002

A man, a plan, a canal, Nicaragua!

Crell posted:

GOONS has been made

Applied as Roopsy

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tei posted:

How you craft coal anyway?

On a tab that uses it - Smelting or Cooking - hit the + next to coal and convert your wood into it. Amount of coal is based on the tier of log and doubled by the Kiln once you unlock it.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Rynoto posted:

On a tab that uses it - Smelting or Cooking - hit the + next to coal and convert your wood into it. Amount of coal is based on the tier of log and doubled by the Kiln once you unlock it.

The kiln passivey gives you charcoal, not sure why it gives twice as much as a normal log, dev could have just halved the time of the process lol. Also the item coal is a remnant of an old system, which is why it's so expensive on the market. Charcoal is what logs make now.

I've basically just accepted anyone who applied into the guild, we're up to 20/25, not sure if everyone is actually a goon. I wanted to make all the known goons officers to track it, but can only make one officer and there is no other member options yet.

Hopefully tonight I can get around to writing a more detailed post about the game. I don't think there are many pubbie guides because it's a relatively simple game, but it's getting a little more complex as the dev is adding stuff. If anyone needs anything feel free to dm me on discord (Crell, I'm in the ironwood official server) or just ask in here as there is no in game chat yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Applied with same name IG to Ironwood. I like the pace of it, and I'm not feeling like the game is being intentionally annoying. I just get to craft things or whatever I want to be doing and that's nice.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Applied as Hardy

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Ironwood guild is up to 24/25 which is more response than I would have expected for this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's a cool chill idler.

(I'm in as Maxim)

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I requested to join as 8008135. Might as well give it a go.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I put in a request as theninthlayer, but the guild was at 24/25 with one pending request when I did. So no worries if I can't get in.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I put in a request as theninthlayer, but the guild was at 24/25 with one pending request when I did. So no worries if I can't get in.

There are a few people already who haven't logged in and they didn't say they were a goon, so don't worry if it says guild is full. Just apply and I'll likely be able to make room.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Since we did hit the guild max, I'm in as Manyorcas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm pancakes in game.