Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can I interest you in a free* boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No thank you, I am picking the mystery box.

It could be anything

even a boat!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I appreciate the market has changed but $16k is loving nuts. My Fireblade was $13k new in 2018 here in expensiveland.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been seeing it both ease up and continue to be terrible.
I just bought a leftover '22 model with a nice $2.4k discount. The dealer had a few others to move as well the 23 models.
On the other hand, I've seen another dealer advertise TW200 bikes for $6999 (MSRP $4850), KLX300R for $6999 (MSRP $5899) and similar nonsense

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No way is that a 16K bike. SV it is then

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How hard is replacing a chain? I don't have any tools to do it, but I can buy them. The chain in this picture looks pretty ragged, but maybe it's just the angle? There is a distinct Z shape to the links. This is the only picture you can see it. I'm under the impression you want to replace the sprockets with the chain as well, and seems like the counter sprocket can be a bit of a bear? Maybe I'll just pay someone to do it :shobon:

The bike is still available, so I'm gonna go check it out sometime during the week as he is unavailable this weekend.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
replacing a chain isn't difficult. two tips: plan to replace the sprockets at the same time, and go ahead and get the motion pro chain tool kit now and save yourself the hassle of breaking 2 or 3 cheap chain tools before you buy a decent one. if you don't already have an angle grinder, I'd recommend getting one, harbor freight will do just fine

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What's the angle grinder for? The motion pro tool you linked gets the old chain off, no? That's what I always use.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

How hard is replacing a chain? I don't have any tools to do it, but I can buy them. The chain in this picture looks pretty ragged, but maybe it's just the angle? There is a distinct Z shape to the links. This is the only picture you can see it. I'm under the impression you want to replace the sprockets with the chain as well, and seems like the counter sprocket can be a bit of a bear? Maybe I'll just pay someone to do it :shobon:

The bike is still available, so I'm gonna go check it out sometime during the week as he is unavailable this weekend.

It's easy as gently caress, you don't necessarily have to do the sprockets at the same time but PO's are idiots so you probably will. The hardest part is getting the front sprocket nut off, if you have a compressor and a rattle gun it's a piece of piss, otherwise you need a helper and a long pole.

TotalLossBrain posted:

What's the angle grinder for? The motion pro tool you linked gets the old chain off, no? That's what I always use.

That's a good way to nuke your tool, it works on the smaller chains but in the big bike sizes you'll just snap the little pusher thingy.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Edit; ^^ that explains it.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 29, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hmm. What IS the right way to cut a chain down? I've only done it a couple times. The pin pusher tool hasn't ever worked for me nor chainbreakers. I always bust out the angle grinder. I've bench grinded off the rivets too, carefully, to pop a master link on. It only damages the outside link, which is what gets replaced, anyway.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Both the 900 bikes have insanely snatchy throttles and are generally really frantic feeling, lots of miles is not something I would want to do on one

Now, granted that my last bike before it was a 690, and therefore my tolerance for snatchy throttles is probably immeasurably high, but the throttle on my MT-09 even in Mode 1 (the "sportiest") isn't really snatchy at all, and in Mode 2-4 it's downright smooth.

ninja edit: the old model, up to 2020, was way worse in the snatchy throttle department.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Hmm. What IS the right way to cut a chain down? I've only done it a couple times. The pin pusher tool hasn't ever worked for me nor chainbreakers. I always bust out the angle grinder. I've bench grinded off the rivets too, carefully, to pop a master link on. It only damages the outside link, which is what gets replaced, anyway.

You grind the rivet head down then push it through

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Now, granted that my last bike before it was a 690, and therefore my tolerance for snatchy throttles is probably immeasurably high, but the throttle on my MT-09 even in Mode 1 (the "sportiest") isn't really snatchy at all, and in Mode 2-4 it's downright smooth.

ninja edit: the old model, up to 2020, was way worse in the snatchy throttle department.

:shrug:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
How crazy am I that I'm considering trading my Super Tenere for a 10 years newer Royal Enfield Interceptor? I feel crazy, but am I crazy? I like the Enfield. Also a trade offer for a 2020 CBR600. I know these are very different bieks but I really want something smaller for the daily commute and I'm pretty torn between cafe racer and sportbike. I'm terminally indecisive here. No I still haven't sold the V-rod with the terrible dadbags yet and I don't think I will - it's really nice on the long distance stuff.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I really like sports bikes but a 600RR is a stretch to justify if you're just commuting on it. What does the trip look like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A cbr600 will commute like a champ but the experience will suck rear end. An enfield interceptor will be much nicer until it suddenly isn't at all.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

City streets of Vegas. So, 10 miles or so one way of 60 mph traffic flow and lots of stoplights. Need to get on the freeway sometimes for short stints. If only the super cub could hit speeds above 50 I'd just buy two and alternate colors depending on my mood. But supersport.... But cafe bike.....

Yes this is probably very annoying but what are you gonna do?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can either be uncomfortable communing in Vegas heat on a CBR600 or you can be uncomfortable in Vegas heat pushing a Royal Enfield.

Either way it does not end with you being comfortable.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My commute is like that in Vegas when I am there for work and man I could not imagine doing it on my bike in the summer. There are like two guys at the datacenter that do it but I have no idea how they handle it. Kudos to you man.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So we're still seeing reliability issues in aggregate on the Enfields, yeah? That's a shame. Gonna look at the Honda today - it has frame sliders so I'll need to give a very thorough going over. Otherwise the search will continue.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

City streets of Vegas. So, 10 miles or so one way of 60 mph traffic flow and lots of stoplights.
Sounds absolutely hellacious on a CBR600RR, won't ever get to tap into the fun parts of the rev range, outside of maybe a few seconds if you jump on a freeway. At least it should be over pretty quick if it's only 10 miles right, or will your schedule regularly get you caught up in stop and go Vegas traffic?

I had a similar ~10 mile commute years ago when I had a ZX-6R, but also had a car as backup when it started to get old, which it often did in the summer. If I left early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic crush I'd often take the longer way around via the freeway.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's some fun times, especially early the morning and on some of the arterials. But I'm already doing this on my super ten, and the problem is that it's just too big (same problem the Harley has), so I'm just trying to downsize. And I use the car on suit and tie days or when it's 110 at 6 in the morning.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So we're still seeing reliability issues in aggregate on the Enfields, yeah?

i'm not sure there is actually evidence of this for the interceptor, but you probably didn't come here for empiricism

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's some fun times, especially early the morning and on some of the arterials. But I'm already doing this on my super ten, and the problem is that it's just too big (same problem the Harley has), so I'm just trying to downsize. And I use the car on suit and tie days or when it's 110 at 6 in the morning.

I recommend Honda CB500X

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm admittedly an EV fanboy, but this is kind of a perfect use case for an EV bike if you are going to have multiple bikes anyway. No heat coming off the bike in traffic, and that distance is easily done on a single charge on even the smallest capacity Zero.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How crazy am I that I'm considering trading my Super Tenere for a 10 years newer Royal Enfield Interceptor? I feel crazy, but am I crazy? I like the Enfield. Also a trade offer for a 2020 CBR600. I know these are very different bieks but I really want something smaller for the daily commute and I'm pretty torn between cafe racer and sportbike. I'm terminally indecisive here. No I still haven't sold the V-rod with the terrible dadbags yet and I don't think I will - it's really nice on the long distance stuff.

Get a Ducati scrambler

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I've been pondering over a new bike since last summer, but dealers over here aren't very plentyful.

Wanted to try and get a test ride on a BMW S1000R before commiting to one...They only had an M1000R in the showroom...

:stare:

Unsurprisingly, theres now a S1000R Sport arriving for me in june

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Nitrox posted:

I recommend Honda CB500X

Borrrrrinnngggg though
Get the cbr600rr and be sad in traffic. Take it out sometimes for joyrides.

CB500X is a fantastic commuter and good bike for new riders or even an OK ADV. If you are gonna go on fire roads, BDRs, seasonal roads etc it's not a bad bike but would not do that on the doggie 90/10 street/trail tires the bikes ship with.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 2, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pinny posted:

I've been pondering over a new bike since last summer, but dealers over here aren't very plentyful.

Wanted to try and get a test ride on a BMW S1000R before commiting to one...They only had an M1000R in the showroom...

:stare:

Unsurprisingly, theres now a S1000R Sport arriving for me in june

It looks like a Michael Bay Transformer, but somehow in a good way??
I guess in a sort of look at all this crazy nonsense that could only ever work in CGI, but they somehow built out of real materials.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
what about a versys or a klr?

ducati scrambler was a good shout too.

if you really like the look of the interceptor, you could think about a triumph street twin (if money isn't a concern)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The negative experiences I’ve seen here have almost all been older Enfields. The newer ones are far more reliable, but they are still cheap, heavy, slow bikes.

Do you want a cheap, heavy, slow bike that will need frequent maintenance but that’ll be easy to do yourself? I don’t think the answer to that is automatically “no.”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wouldn't the Vegas thing to do be to import a super customized Japanese maxi scooter

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

It looks like a Michael Bay Transformer, but somehow in a good way??
I guess in a sort of look at all this crazy nonsense that could only ever work in CGI, but they somehow built out of real materials.
I legitimately love the winglets, they look much better than they have any right to, you'd think they'd just be odd protuberances sticking off those minimal fairings but they make it work. BMW makes some good looking bikes

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Scrambler is a nice bike but it's not even on the same planet as a CBR600 in terms of performance. CB650F? Z900?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I legitimately love the winglets, they look much better than they have any right to, you'd think they'd just be odd protuberances sticking off those minimal fairings but they make it work. BMW makes some good looking bikes

This is killer thinking McDonald's tastes great

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I had a cb500x once. Was a good bike, got rid of it after 20k miles because yes, it was boring.

Cbr seems fun - been a long time since I had a sport bike (had a r6 once upon a time), but I'm only looking because it might be a great deal. Or it might be a basket case I dunno. I like the Enfield because I like the style, yes, and because it showed up. Really I just want something smaller than the tenere for city riding is all. If the Honda doesn't work out I'll just keep riding one of my two liter plus bikes until I find something skinnier and more modest.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
honestly, I think the 650 enfields are cool and would work well for your commute

I am a rank newby though so I defer to other opinions

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This is killer thinking McDonald's tastes great
Wouldn't that be more like KTM, gets your attention and feels satisfying but leaves you filled with regret

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm not a fan of the winglets, specially when riding, they kept catching my eye every time I ever so slightly glanced down. Almost to the point of being distracting.

The red white and blue colour scheme is only available as part of a £2900 package too, so screw that. I've gone for the silver/grey one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:barf:

I hate winglets unless they are like these, which are fine.

The Panigale V4 looks ridiculous. The 2023 RS-GP is hideous.