Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Walla posted:

The only Dawn of DC title I've picked up has been Superboy. Very good and I kind of hope he stays in space. I haven't seen Green Arrow in the store yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Unrelated, the Wildstorm special teased the Authority being set up in the JLA tower. Or maybe it was Stormwatch. Is that being followed up anywhere? The only old Image titles that I've seen introduced into the mainstream is Wildcats, but I would eat up any others.

Green Arrow was very good I thought. I feel like finally we might have someone writing Roy well, which is a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

No doom patrol?

I know nothing about Doom Patrol. I might need to try it.

X-O posted:

Green Arrow was very good I thought. I feel like finally we might have someone writing Roy well, which is a miracle.

I didn't know it was out already. I'll have to see if I can get it this weekend.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Doom Patrol has been great so far

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Doom Patrol has been great so far

My only qualms so far are it killing two people in two issues so far and it feels like it's for cheap shock value purposes rather than building anything significant. The first is the Brain after getting betrayed by Mallah who still were a couple. The second is the character they brought in for the issue who heroically sacrifices themselves. The same writer also had Killer Croc apparently backslide from their slow turn away from being a villain and not eating people as part of a back up and I still have a sour taste in my mouth about that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Since comics are now easily available in Poland, I decided to dive into some DC stuff a few months ago.

First of all, I gotta say jumping on is really difficult if you haven’t read these comics recently. I was hoping the Lazarus Planet event would be a good point, but on the contrary - not only did it not explain who’s who at all, it also these random new powers into the mix.

I found it easiest to get into Superman, even though I came in at the last three issues of Warworld. Having last read Superman around 91, I am slowly understanding who all the Super people hanging around the Kent house are, and when I think I have a hang of them, a Chinese superman appears. And a few from other dimensions. Oh boy.

I’m also confused by the relationship between the mainline Superman comic, the side John Kents and what have you and the Action Comics line - like they all feature Lex Luthor, who seems to kinda be a different character in each one.

I also went into Batman and Detective Comics and I think here it was a bit easier to het into the grove, although again I come from a time of Batman and Robin and it seems now there are multiple Robins, a Nightwing and a whole troupe of Batman-adjacent teenagers (but only in Batman, not in Detective Comics).

I do like the 6-issue miniseries that are a thing now - like GCPD and Gotham Year One were great, so I’m looking forward to the Penguin miniseries. Also tried the Flash 1-minute war event as a sample and it seemed cool, but again - there’s like a house full if Flash people now and it sucks to onboard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Do they use Emiko at all?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Since comics are now easily available in Poland, I decided to dive into some DC stuff a few months ago.

First of all, I gotta say jumping on is really difficult if you haven’t read these comics recently. I was hoping the Lazarus Planet event would be a good point, but on the contrary - not only did it not explain who’s who at all, it also these random new powers into the mix.

I feel like it always sucks to onboard to an extent (unless you intend to just start in the 30s like a madman and read every comic), in the end it kinda matters how much you can will yourself to just go with the flow. My #1 recommendation to people looking to get into a character is just "read their Wikipedia page" since those hit most of the high notes and that basically gets you up to speed*, even if it might seem like the rantings of lunatics at times. And then if the writer does a callback to something more recent you can usually Google it to get a quick explanation and move on

*but then again "falling down various rabbit holes on Wikipedia" is the kinda guy I am so this strategy probably doesn't work for everyone.

e: and yeah Lazarus Planet was absolutely not a good place to try to jump on (in addition to just not being very good in the first place! :rimshot:)

X-O posted:

Roy finally loses that stupid trucker hat, he gets better. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT! :v:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 27, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the trap people sometimes get pulled into is the idea that the big crossover events are entry points, like it's a big buffet and if you get to try all the different flavours on one plate then you can figure out what you like. When in reality you need to already know what you're there for and what this buffet does well for your taste to get anything out of it.

The periodic relaunches, like the current Dawn Of DC stuff are way more new reader friendly, even if several of them have jumped into that 'gently caress it, we have a billion characters related to Flash/Batman/Superman, let's just cram em all in' angle. It's a little weirder that they slapped the branding on some books part way through an arc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

X-O posted:

I liked what I read, but found it rather odd that they used the background catch-up to skip how Ollie got from waking up...wherever he is, to how he's behaving at the end of the book. I'm curious to see how this goes, and this first issue is a good sign.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is Mia Dearden around anymore?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think the trap people sometimes get pulled into is the idea that the big crossover events are entry points, like it's a big buffet and if you get to try all the different flavours on one plate then you can figure out what you like. When in reality you need to already know what you're there for and what this buffet does well for your taste to get anything out of it.

The periodic relaunches, like the current Dawn Of DC stuff are way more new reader friendly, even if several of them have jumped into that 'gently caress it, we have a billion characters related to Flash/Batman/Superman, let's just cram em all in' angle. It's a little weirder that they slapped the branding on some books part way through an arc.

The best time to get in is actually the opposite, i.e. just after the crossover because that's when all the status quo changes have happened so everything gets refreshed.

Beerdeer posted:

Is Mia Dearden around anymore?

She hasn't appeared since the last Green Arrow run before Rebirth so it's a mystery right now. Arrowette is nominally around but Dark Crisis Young Justice was really bad so it may be memory holed along with her appearance.

Dawgstar posted:

Do they use Emiko at all?

She's not shown up this issue, but she still may or may not appear.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Digital needs to streamline reading series so I don't jump out of every issue to select next.
What I'm saying is it's 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Williamson has said Mia Dearden is coming back. This issue did feature the reunion, at least temporarily, of Roy and Lian. I thought that was done very well. It seems the big focus of the book is going to be bringing everyone back together. Which I am super down for.

Williamson also said the series has been extended from six issues to twelve.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 28, 2023

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Mokotow posted:

I found it easiest to get into Superman, even though I came in at the last three issues of Warworld. Having last read Superman around 91, I am slowly understanding who all the Super people hanging around the Kent house are, and when I think I have a hang of them, a Chinese superman appears. And a few from other dimensions. Oh boy.

I’m also confused by the relationship between the mainline Superman comic, the side John Kents and what have you and the Action Comics line - like they all feature Lex Luthor, who seems to kinda be a different character in each one.

I also went into Batman and Detective Comics and I think here it was a bit easier to het into the grove, although again I come from a time of Batman and Robin and it seems now there are multiple Robins, a Nightwing and a whole troupe of Batman-adjacent teenagers (but only in Batman, not in Detective Comics).

I do like the 6-issue miniseries that are a thing now - like GCPD and Gotham Year One were great, so I’m looking forward to the Penguin miniseries. Also tried the Flash 1-minute war event as a sample and it seemed cool, but again - there’s like a house full if Flash people now and it sucks to onboard.

A great title to jump into is World's Finest. It's set in the past so isn't tied to any ongoing stories, and features a cast of characters you know and if they are obscure, it explains who they are (such as the current story arc).

It's such a fun book and really harkens back to simpler times. It also shouldn't be too hard to pick up the back issues

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Pitwar posted:

A great title to jump into is World's Finest. It's set in the past so isn't tied to any ongoing stories, and features a cast of characters you know and if they are obscure, it explains who they are (such as the current story arc).

It's such a fun book and really harkens back to simpler times. It also shouldn't be too hard to pick up the back issues

All this is correct, and the first hardcover collection is out.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This sounds great, thanks. I never heard about it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Typing up the monthly checklist for work, and it is wild that I am going to have nearly a two month break from DC doing this Knight Terrors stuff. This will probably be better than Convergence, which what a thing to say, but this mess better be all fully returnable. I hope people won't skip too many of these to avoid my store taking a huge financial blow for two months but it's going to hurt.

Seems equally insane because they are in the midst of launching a bunch of new stuff that could use the momentum!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Are the upcoming DC titles that dire?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

Are the upcoming DC titles that dire?

It's not that. They're replacing a bunch of titles for a couple months in favor of the Knight Terrors event. Most of it looks entirely skippable since they're fill-in titles not by the regular creative teams.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not that. They're replacing a bunch of titles for a couple months in favor of the Knight Terrors event. Most of it looks entirely skippable since they're fill-in titles not by the regular creative teams.

That is a deeply bizarre decision! I feel like “DC does horror” has been done to death recently

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Pitwar posted:

Incredibly good title. Mora's art is the best.

I am currently reading Snyder's Batman run and Zero Year really sort of kills its momentum. It's pretty good, but did it need to be 12 issues? I'm relatively ignorant of this period in DC but wondering if Damien's death in Batman Inc. had anything to do with the choice of running an extended origin arc. Then after ZY concludes, we're right back into another Joker story.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tried out Doom Patrol since it was brought up earlier. They're basically like DC's version of mutants? Kind of? It was a very good issue and I definitely think I will grab issue 2 next week. I'm a bit broke right now.

Also grabbed Green Arrow. It was very weird and kind of confusing but I'm looking forward to more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Love the fact some of the best 90s green Lantern stories written were written by a pedophile and are no longer in print. Thank you back issue bins and pirate sites.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lot to unpack there.
Who?
I'm ok not reading their work

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Upsidads posted:

Lot to unpack there.
Who?
I'm ok not reading their work

Gerard Jones.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Gerard Jones.

Jokes on me I already read
Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This is day three of DC infinite not allowing me to go past page two of any single comic. I've tried relogging reinstalling, rebooting, turning off and on storage and it just won't work on my Chromebook. Looking used to every other day of the year. Every other comic book readerno problem

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Upsidads posted:

This is day three of DC infinite not allowing me to go past page two of any single comic. I've tried relogging reinstalling, rebooting, turning off and on storage and it just won't work on my Chromebook. Looking used to every other day of the year. Every other comic book readerno problem

WBD is just deploying the same bold strategy that they're using with HBO Max of making piracy a better option.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So the reason I brought up Gerard is I picked up some GLcorps quarterlys and I'm reading those. Noticed the writers of half the stories is that guy.

Reading them did get me wishing for a modern book like it where you get a new story each issue about a new Lantern or 2. Most of the stories are pretty creative.

The last couple of CL Corps series were mainly focused on the other earth lanterns and the alien GLs introduced were killed usually. Rip Bzzd.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 30, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Walla posted:

Tried out Doom Patrol since it was brought up earlier. They're basically like DC's version of mutants? Kind of? It was a very good issue and I definitely think I will grab issue 2 next week. I'm a bit broke right now.

Also grabbed Green Arrow. It was very weird and kind of confusing but I'm looking forward to more.

Yeah, a bit. The other runs I've read (Morrison and Way) and the TV show makes them seem more like just general misfits and "astronauts of the weird" and I think the central question of what happens to people who have powers but aren't heroes or villains is a good one, but this miniseries feels like (good) X-Men to me. I was nervous, because I don't really want a Doom Patrol book that's blatantly cape stuff, but I really enjoyed the two issues so far.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, a bit. The other runs I've read (Morrison and Way) and the TV show makes them seem more like just general misfits and "astronauts of the weird" and I think the central question of what happens to people who have powers but aren't heroes or villains is a good one, but this miniseries feels like (good) X-Men to me. I was nervous, because I don't really want a Doom Patrol book that's blatantly cape stuff, but I really enjoyed the two issues so far.

The giffen series was good and was a good transition from Morrison to way. The 1st issue of this new series was good too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Batman #135 was a lot of fun. The whole multiverse thing is getting pretty played out these days but it was well executed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It was cool, is that the end of his run or will there be more?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Azubah posted:

Zdarsky is writing the start of a new arc in 136 so I assume he's around for a while yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I enjoyed the insinuation that Adam West Batman is the best of all of them

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Batman #135 was a lot of fun. The whole multiverse thing is getting pretty played out these days but it was well executed.

Yeah I'm getting a little worn out with seemingly like half the loving stories in the big 2 shoving in the multiverse, but Batman traveling through it Mega Man-ning solutions costume parts and solutions to his problems was pretty novel.

Codependent Poster posted:

I enjoyed the insinuation that Adam West Batman is the best of all of them

I knew the minute he showed up and especially after he gave comic-Batman his utility belt, there would be a shark repellent joke but I did not expect it to actually be useful. That ruled.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's three or four different jokes people usually use when he shows up. This one was a solid execution of it.

Meanwhile, Jon Kent gets to see a world where Superman decides to actually be more proactive about stuff.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Jon Kent was good too, I've always liked the Injustice books so it's cool returning to the setting. I'm going to assume this takes place before the first game.

I was thrown off by the changes in the art style in Batman 135, but once it clicked what they were doing it was cool.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Azubah posted:

He's on the book til 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Walla posted:

Doom Patrol actually came before the X-Men by several months and you can see a bit of Doom Patrol influence there in the early X-Men stuff.

Didn't take long for the two groups to go down completely separate roads though.