Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Telluric Whistler posted:

The concept of a balkanized China around the Yangtze is just historically nonsensical, unless you would similarly support a balkanized France based on pre-Frankish kingdoms or something.

I do support that. Leave China alone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cookie Cutter posted:

what the gently caress

All of these Balkanization map graphics are basically LARP, no, they’re basically DeviantArt and Tumblr and Reddit-level fan art, that incredibly dumb social media blowhards are ignorantly taking seriously because no one knows foreign policy or basic geography

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It just shows how much the failchildren are in charge of everything.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Weka posted:

I do support that. Leave China alone though.

Much like our dude Liu Zhongjing, this is your brain on Spengler. Welcome to the intellectual dark web, goon. You've finally made it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

On occasion, you actually get a LARPer who takes it seriously enough to turn it into crackpot activism and get arrested- the Yuyencia guy

https://bitterwinter.org/jacob-pius-chinese-traditionalist-catholic-jailed/

quote:

In 2014, a young man signing “Jacob Pius” surfaced in Chinese social media advocating for the independence of a “country” he called Yuyencia (幽燕西亚), which would include part of present-day Hebei, Beijing, and Tianjin. He supported the creation of Yuyencia with theories about the mythical Chinese first dynasty Xia.

His arguments appeared so far-fetched that many suspected they were proposed tongue-in-cheek, although the young man should have been aware that advocating separatism in China is not a matter for jokes but a crime punished with heavy jail penalties.

In subsequent years, “Jacob Pius” explained that, although other religions will be tolerated, Yuyencia will have Roman Catholicism as the state religion and will be ruled according to the model of traditional Catholic monarchies. “Jacob” mentioned the 19th and early 20th century French monarchist theorists and the traditionalist Carlist branch of the monarchist movement in Spain as his sources of inspiration. He also stated that present-day Catholicism is largely contaminated by the “modernist heresy” and will not be able to supply the official state doctrine of Yuyencia. This will rather be “traditionalist” Catholicism. Again, this was totally unusual in China—and dangerous, since advocating “counter-revolutionary” ideologies is also a crime.

quote:

“Jacob Pius,” however, remained in China. “Gao Yang” is a Catholic human rights activist who was interviewed by Hong Kong and Western media in 2019 and 2020 under this assumed name, and supplied information about the persecution in Hebei of Catholic “conscientious objectors” who rejected the Vatican-China deal of 2018. Bitter Winter has learned that “Jacob Pius” and “Gao Yang” are one and the same person. His real name is Pang Jian, and he was born in Baoding city, Hebei province, in 1991. He is a resident of Gaobeidian, a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Baoding city, and has published as “Gao Yang” on Hebei history and folklore.

That Pang Jian alias Gao Yang alias Jacob Pius is a conservative Catholic is true, although where he derived his passion for European Catholic monarchist and counter-revolutionary Catholicism from remains unclear. It is also difficult to distinguish what theories he advocates seriously, and what he just proposes as paradoxes and social experiments of sort.

On these matters, however, the CCP always prefers to be on the safer side. On January 15, 2021, Pang was detained by the Gaobeidian police, and taken to the Gaobeidian Detention Center. On January 28, 2021, he was formally arrested and charged with “separatism,” a very serious offense. His friends have no information about his trial, if any, although it is believed it is still in the Gaobeidian prison.

Orange Devil posted:

It just shows how much the failchildren are in charge of everything.

I doubt anyone with actual power takes any of this seriously as these are just graphics without any numbers of people backing them, but occasionally these people do find their way to wriggle into events because no one is checking

https://twitter.com/fareastyouth/status/1470541619090755584?s=20
https://twitter.com/fareastyouth/status/1470544520219488261?s=20

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Maximo Roboto posted:

All of these Balkanization map graphics are basically LARP, no, they’re basically DeviantArt and Tumblr and Reddit-level fan art, that incredibly dumb social media blowhards are ignorantly taking seriously because no one knows foreign policy or basic geography

It is a massive LARP, I just detest the way these kind of things filter down into everyday assessments, get taken seriously by regular libs who don't know any better and become normalised over time, when the reality of implementing something like that would involve such massive amounts of death and creation of ethnic divisions where none previously existed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
gunter is living his best life, shadowboxing entire countries on twitter.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shant be allowing goons to ruin Gunter for me

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Bolton is one of the last semi competent assets left and he's 74.

I can't wait for Hip Hop Dave to take his place and push forward the US agenda in a hoodie with Rick & Morty on the back of it.

Never thought I'd see noted blood thirsty psychopath John Bolton described at competent

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Never thought I'd see noted blood thirsty psychopath John Bolton described at competent

Semi competent.

Give him a peppersteak with chips on the side and he'll report back the trip was a great success regardless of actual outcome.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

~think harder than ive ever thought in my life~

"...and we will call it... trashland..."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dang isn't Bolton just a civilian these days. How's he getting meetings with the taiwanese pres. That's not good!!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Anyone know if there's an event where I can present my speech about China's suppression of Cathaysian ideals? TIA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

would love to seal this man in a box lined with maps of the holy roman empire and launch him into space

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

On occasion, you actually get a LARPer who takes it seriously enough to turn it into crackpot activism and get arrested- the Yuyencia guy

lol @ trying to start a chinese carlist movement

monarchism is a hell of a drug

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

dang isn't Bolton just a civilian these days. How's he getting meetings with the taiwanese pres. That's not good!!

Not only that, I remember he got kicked by Trump because he was manipulating Trump in the North Korea affair and skimming (selling info to the press). Like he has an ugly resume. Why would DPP dug him up? LOL.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

In Training posted:

*universe brain* the president of Taiwan is also a private citizen of the PRC

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Jazerus posted:

lol @ trying to start a chinese carlist movement

monarchism is a hell of a drug

Reverse Weeaboo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

eSports Chaebol posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

Lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Yuyencian(Local spelling is “幽燕民族”) is an ancient nation,often called”Yan(燕)”as we short name.
We have a common language, it is called “Yenpolish(燕语)”, like Mandarin.
We live in Yenland(燕地), it is located Far East between Eurasia prairie and the Pacific Ocean ,Specifically, it is in the west coast of the Bohai Sea(渤海), north and south sides of Yanshan(燕山), and between the Haihe River Basin(海河). Therefore, we are both an Inner Asia nation and a marine nation.
Our main religious faith is Roman Catholicism, we have a lot of martyrdom saints, Our Loyalty church is a Catholic fortress in the Far East.

Yenpolish wtf

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I was supporting the movement until they said they were polish.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1653310370340110336?t=I9wJMyPv9L6CeCIyYAa60w&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uhhhh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, that wasn't exactly legal before

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least they're trying!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

genericnick posted:

Yeah, that wasn't exactly legal before

yeah this is a silly headline, it looks like the they made a national law against something every locality had already outlawed individually

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

yeah this is a silly headline, it looks like the they made a national law against something every locality had already outlawed individually

so what youre saying is that this is like that time they outlawed pedophilia ephebophilia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well according to that article that's one of the things this new bill just outlawed, so yeah I suppose it is like that

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My SO is learning Japanese and the more I find out about the language the more I think it's been made specifically to gently caress with people. Why does it have three different counting systems. Why are half the words borrowed from Chinese and picked specifically to mean similar but different things from the Chinese word. Who would do this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Grapplejack posted:

three different counting systems

oh my lad

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Grapplejack posted:

Why are half the words borrowed from French and picked specifically to mean similar but different things from the French word. Who would do this

:britain:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

My SO is learning Japanese and the more I find out about the language the more I think it's been made specifically to gently caress with people. Why does it have three different counting systems. Why are half the words borrowed from Chinese and picked specifically to mean similar but different things from the Chinese word. Who would do this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

years later and mostly lost and I can still think of at least five different ways of counting things

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

speaking of french and number systems: why does french suddenly switch to multiples of twenty for 80 and up

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

speaking of french and number systems: why does french suddenly switch to multiples of twenty for 80 and up

Teens are cool, and only getting one set per hundred is what a loser island language does.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
i'm partial to turkish have different grammatical tenses for knowing something because you saw it and knowing something because someone told you about it. an absolutely baffling grammatical convention that's nonetheless actually kind of useful and opens up entirely new ways of lying or avoiding blame if things go wrong.

more languages should have goofy stuff like that. makes you stand out on the linguistic stage

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 21:41 on May 2, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

never heard him talk before.

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1653358929131499520

he should fix his helmet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Wait till you come to the English and German loan words. At least it doesn't have the tones, those are still loving with me something fierce.