Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Being opposed to halloween is just anti Scots racism imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, all MPs using taxpayer money to live an indulgent lifestyle can gently caress off, but I think Comrade was specifically focusing on the arcade game cabinet.

Which isn't that Thatcher-murdering Doom mod so it's trash imo.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the criticism in the tweet - going after Jess for bilking everyone she sees for cash is fine and cool, but I don't think her making one corner of a room a bit of a nerdhole is particularly a problem. I was just communicating my shock at seeing Jess Phillips apparently owning and using what appears to be a MAME cabinet.

But speaking of the Thatcher's Techbase arcade cabinet, I'm helping to organise this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeIAl0IuVz0

And since that video was made, we've announced that the Youtuber Sophie From Mars will be speaking at the event too!

The game jam has begun, and teams have formed, but you can still get involved here: https://itch.io/jam/twt

Anyway, it will be a very cool time, I recommend that anyone who can attend the event!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally not a fan of Sophie from Mars, her videos are good but like that BadEmpanada fellow on youtube the two of them can't stop having weird beefs and drama on twitter dot com. Still give her critical support over the terf freaks who go after her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fighting your posting enemies is all there is to do with your life though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Was thinking myself that the Mexican tradition feels closer to the Irish one than the Americanised version.
Apparently a lot of it came from Bavarian Catholics, who moved to Spain when Germany decided to be dicks to them for being Catholics and then Mexico when Spain decided to be dicks to them for being German.

There's a definite similarity between the German Jewelled Saints and the calavera imagery, as well as all the flowers and altars with big baked breads.

Whatever it was, it's definitely attached to Mexico and the US Southwest culture now though.

Which I guess underlines how stupid the people who expect traditions to be static and magically rooted are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Fighting your posting enemies is all there is to do with your life though.

That's fine but accusing a teenager of being an abusive sex cultist when they have a way smaller platform than you is scummy behaviour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*coughing* anyway here's a thing

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1652781349718089732

https://twitter.com/cannibality/status/1653127420525031424

:hmmyes:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey that's fake news.

The 12 grand includes the slippers she stole too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I don't really agree with the criticism in the tweet - going after Jess for bilking everyone she sees for cash is fine and cool, but I don't think her making one corner of a room a bit of a nerdhole is particularly a problem. I was just communicating my shock at seeing Jess Phillips apparently owning and using what appears to be a MAME cabinet.

But speaking of the Thatcher's Techbase arcade cabinet, I'm helping to organise this:

And since that video was made, we've announced that the Youtuber Sophie From Mars will be speaking at the event too!

The game jam has begun, and teams have formed, but you can still get involved here: https://itch.io/jam/twt

Anyway, it will be a very cool time, I recommend that anyone who can attend the event!

Have grabbed a ticket, wish I knew about the Jam earlier but I probably wouldn't be able to contribute effectively, even being out of work looking for a new one is basically a full time gig you're not paid for, and it's been a while since I did anything outside of production.

Have you been in touch with the Games Workers Union? Can shoot a link to the London members.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
And was from when she was Foreign Secretary I think rather than PM

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently a lot of it came from Bavarian Catholics, who moved to Spain when Germany decided to be dicks to them for being Catholics and then Mexico when Spain decided to be dicks to them for being German.

There's a definite similarity between the German Jewelled Saints and the calavera imagery, as well as all the flowers and altars with big baked breads.

Whatever it was, it's definitely attached to Mexico and the US Southwest culture now though.

Which I guess underlines how stupid the people who expect traditions to be static and magically rooted are.

That's an unexpected link in the chain, many thanks. :tipshat: :)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Hello UKMT, as an aside from :guillotine: chat, can anyone recommend a moving firm? I have to move from London to Glasgow (RIP marriage) in July. I could just go with Standard Internet Reviews but thought I'd start here instead. :sigh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
purely in terms of not being bothered with royal events and not wanting The Chase knocked off its schedule on TV, tonight would be the ideal time for sovereign majesty king to slip away in the night, by my reckoning

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

Hello UKMT, as an aside from :guillotine: chat, can anyone recommend a moving firm? I have to move from London to Glasgow (RIP marriage) in July. I could just go with Standard Internet Reviews but thought I'd start here instead. :sigh:

No idea but sorry about the marriage

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I just moved with these guys and they sent a good bunch of polish lads who were great.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

killerwhat posted:

No idea but sorry about the marriage

Thanks. It's not ideal. Casualty of Covid, this one.

kecske posted:

I just moved with these guys and they sent a good bunch of polish lads who were great.

Thanks. I've pinged them for a quote.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

She should be forced to do a Cleggy style apology video set to music

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fact of the matter is if you ever go into a hotel room they price everything to astronomical levels to deter theft

she probably just took one bathrobe

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Not gonna lie. Didn’t have “weird fish pie” on my “insane monarchist bullshit over the next week” list

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And was from when she was Foreign Secretary I think rather than PM

Yes, she wasnt PM long enough to go stay at one of the grace and favour houses.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Yes, she wasnt PM long enough to go stay at one of the grace and favour houses.

She could have, but Boris was still squatting Chequers iirc

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Not gonna lie. Didn’t have “weird fish pie” on my “insane monarchist bullshit over the next week” list

Whats weird is they're apparently quite tasty.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You can predict Liz Truss' actions by assuming that she will maximise the possible entropy within the system, like a river flowing into the ditch you dug to divert it. She is actually the physical manifestation of what tories always wanted, it's fascinating that they flinched.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

They claim these jawless, eel-like creatures are endangered, but they're spending £250m to throw a party for one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Whats weird is they're apparently quite tasty.

That's why they're endangered.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Henry the first allegedly died of 'a surfeit of lampreys' so it's weird on multiple levels.

I wasn't aware they were endangered though, I thought there were places with far too many of them that would be only too glad to kill off a few.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Honestly looking at their mouths is just nightmare fuel. All those horrible teeth.

Lampreys too, etc.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have grabbed a ticket, wish I knew about the Jam earlier but I probably wouldn't be able to contribute effectively, even being out of work looking for a new one is basically a full time gig you're not paid for, and it's been a while since I did anything outside of production.

Have you been in touch with the Games Workers Union? Can shoot a link to the London members.

Yeah, in fact IWGB Game Workers are collaborating with us on the event and jam, and will be having an Organising 101 session at the one-day festival with UTAW, the tech union. And you should definitely check out the jam, there’s still plenty of opportunity to get involved and I don’t think anyone expects a huge time commitment. Look forward to seeing you at the event though!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Man, I'm a member of the IWGB and was looking at the youtube announcing the game jam the other day. So weird to see it here.

I'd love to go but I'm 2 for 2 getting covid from travelling to London and honestly going anywhere scares me still.

Have fun tho!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ah why can't there be a fun club scene like this again!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beggar%27s_Benison

lmao

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I just read this and lol lmao, I love it, I learned a lot too, I loved the little asterisk asides.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

keep punching joe posted:

Being opposed to halloween is just anti Scots racism imho.

Same as those freaks who say new years is a godless communist invention of a holiday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't that just Peter Hitchens? Who has currently abandoned that crusade to celebrate being able to write his name. In pen no less!

https://twitter.com/janinethechef1/status/1653464435510394895

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Shyrka posted:

Same as those freaks who say new years is a godless communist invention of a holiday.

i do still get grumpy about people calling it NYE. specifically the acronym. new years eve the science guy, gently caress off. its hogmanay you fuckos

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ah why can't there be a fun club scene like this again!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beggar%27s_Benison

lmao

About halfway through I was treated to the tooltip for the wikipedia entry on masturbation which apparently is illustrated!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Korner Kelly sez: "Ode to JOI."

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1652040756859641860

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

For those who still frequent Elon’s hellsite - Lawrence “racist” Fox has kicked off a tremendous Meltdown May

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well come on then, post the gold

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Comrade Fakename posted:

ill try and catch the next one if you do another!
probably dont have time for this one right now but itd be nice to have some motivation to get something small done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have thought of one thing all this insanity is good for - Lioness* (my horse) should be well desensitized to flags and bunting by the end of the week.

* She's Irish, so not named after the footballers. Best guess we have is because she's very noisy (shouts everytime there's any possibility of an unknown horse in hearing distance) and suprisingly brave.