Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think there's a third approach here tbh.

Yeah, empathy and compassion are important, but I don't think they're ultimately more important than morality of the situation -- and I thought some of the episodes this season -- or perhaps just the third one -- took an approach that ended up soft peddling the satire for sympathy.

The way the show treated Logan's death, with little music and very few jokes, and a lot of very straightforward emotive performances, none of that worked for me. And like, yeah, I get that the story was trying to place us in the character's shoes, and wanted to place emphasis on the shock and trauma the three siblings were experiencing. And also that the story's trying to indicate that this event is, you know, a big thing. But it didn't work for me, because the character as constructed up to that point isn't the kind of person who I felt deserved that level of hagiography.

IMO, the smaller, more ironic tragedy at the end of the previous episode was a more effective send-off, since it really made its final notes on the character and the complex, miserable relationships he had in his life, while also emphasizing the moral value of him and the people around him. It wasn't operatic. It was lovely, it was small, it was a family fighting in a karaoke bar and an old man ranting on the street.

There's a limit to empathy, I guess. A lot of Succession episodes ask you to feel bad, but there's usually a limit. That episode's vibe wasn't "I feel bad but...", it was just "I feel bad."

I thought this was the episode with the most payoff to the season's arcs so far.

If you ever had to deal with something like that over the phone it was intensely affecting. I know that I had to blink back tears myself. What they were experiencing is exactly how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Wait until they are landing a 105 year old man in Europa.

A hundred-year-old Ed punching someone in the face will be a delight and I will not take any questions at this time :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Wait until they are landing a 105 year old man in Europa.

Lol it's a stealth crossover when he becomes the oldest being in the universe and is literally the black rectangle from 2001

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LionArcher posted:

We would easily be there within ten years. Probably 5. Will it be poo poo this forum loves? No. But it could write a rough crime show script, and with some human touch up turn in a draft that would work.

People love to talk about the art as an objective “human only” thing, and to a degree, I get it.

But the reality is, there is more demand for story than there are good storytellers in the current model.

I say this as an indie author. A lot of the successful stuff right now isn’t good, but it is what readers (or viewers) want. AI now isn’t good enough to create good books or films or TV, but it will be good enough to create “content” real soon.

There are way more excellent storytellers than writing rooms could ever hope to accommodate. The problem is they're bottlenecked by lack of time to write well and refine their craft, studios and producers annihilating the process with thousands of notes and rewrites, and a lack of money and jobs to pursue writing full-time as rooms get shrunk. That's even putting aside all the awful writers who only get hired for their connections.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AMPTP is promoting this view of "boy, TV writing is terrible now, isn't it?" on social media because it's easy to blame the writers for putting their name on something bad when the studio will go to them and say "rewrite these four scenes by tomorrow" or "focus groups indicate that these two characters need to fall in love" in a process that's invisible and illegal to post about.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 2, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it really depends on how much these companies are able to increase the "memory" of these chatbots beyond a few thousand words in the immediate future (there are already 32K word variants being tested), and how good the tools are that are built on top of them by other companies. They are absolutely overhyped for most uses at the moment, but this is one area that the looming threat of creatives losing their jobs or being further exploited really could be viable.

No, it's not going to spit out production-ready scripts anytime soon, and certainly not decent ones, but it could absolutely churn out a detailed outline and first draft that a production could hand to a junior writer to "punch up" for two days of freelance work.

I was playing around with an episodic story generator a few weeks back to see where the tech was. I fed it a series of parameters for what the world is, gave it some guardrails and guidelines, then gave it a formula for generating a core thematic throughline, a logline, a longer plot summary, a character and location breakdown, and then a three-act breakdown. It consistently churned out fun ideas for stories that I'd be into reading. If I didn't like the direction it went with anything, I re-ran the prompt and quickly got something better.

It was just another simple step to get it to break those acts into chapters, then those chapters into prose. At that point more or less wrote a coherent, passable pulp sci-fi novel that with a quick pass by a human editor could probably sit right alongside most self-published stuff on Amazon. It was only limited by its character memory limit, which was fairly trivial to get around. And I'm just some idiot who goofed around with it for a few days. Someone with dollar signs in their eyes and a lack of ethics has a chance of doing some damage to at least the lower-end.

Yes, you're always going to need someone to run the machine and to tweak and adjust the controls, and for now at least it would mostly work for highly-formulaic low-effort stuff like CSI or Peppa Pig rather than an HBO drama or a comedy with decent jokes, but that doesn't mean it's easily dismissed. Especially if the CSI producers can plug in every prior episode that's ever been written without legal repercussions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't think AI is going to be the threat to good, creative writing that some worry it is. Like, Buzzfeed listicles are going to be written by AI, but I don't think we're within 10 years, if ever, of AI producing good TV that obviates the need for human writers rooms. But it's not a bad idea to hedge in case we're about to unleash the singularity.

"Good" is doing a lot of arbitrary work here. "Good" is absolutely not a requirement for media produced. It's a valid artistic choice and I'm sure we all like good shows, but being good is really irrelevant to success and even less so to whatever profit calculations they are making. Good night actually be an obstacle, makes things more expensive and for people to have to work harder and longer.

Maybe 10 years till whatever you call "good AI show" comes out but a lazy grifter like Zaslav is always looking to maximize content while minimizing investment.

We are always going to need humans to tell good human stories to humans, but so long as the world is structured around facilitating profit instead of anything to do with human needs, business creeps will always look at ways to cut humans out of the deals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I could not be less worried about this quarter's technopanic.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

I could not be less worried about this quarter's technopanic.

We all saw the deal: WGA asked AMPTP to not use AI for script writing and the studios weren't even willing to lie and say they aren't going to do exactly that.

I think the line of "well, it's only procedurals, who's going to notice?" plays right into the studios' argument that writing is unskilled, replaceable labor and thousands of writers will lose their jobs and the experience needed to make more complex projects work.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 2, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shageletic posted:

Shame about how it nose dives in the third season for the most perplexing reason I've ever seen on a TV show lol

E: the first 2 seasons are great tho

Season 3 is fine. It’s not as good as the first two seasons, but it’s nowhere near the disaster this forum makes it out to be.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Everyone talking about Succession and I don't see anyone talking about Sunday's Barry. I just sat there watching the credits silently, what an experience. That show went from "haha funny concept" to "This is in the top 5 directed TV shows I think I've ever seen"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The blood is on your hands, Bosch writers' room!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, so pay them what psychiatrists make instead of trying to make them day laborers I guess.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

The blood is on your hands, Bosch writers' room!

Just making the argument for them because this is funnier than anything AI could have written.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I looked upon the streaming service and wept, for there were no new shows to watch

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Season 3 is fine. It’s not as good as the first two seasons, but it’s nowhere near the disaster this forum makes it out to be.

is that you Danny

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully that romance continues for its so heart warming and everyone is invested.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think any of us knows well enough what goes on in TV production to say whether AI will help.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You laugh, but you must be all too young to remember the yearly cycle of mass suicides every year in the spring when content would cease after the TV season ends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Half my family killed themselves between Best of Both Worlds part 1 and part 2. When that person pulled up to Patrick Stewart and said "you have ruined our summer", it was because that guy's wife went down the sewer slide because she couldn't wait a few months to see what happened to Picard after he got assimilated.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

EricBauman posted:

And that 96 minute, 40 mil budget for features threshold in the counter would just mean that all streaming movies will end up running for 94 minutes, with a 39.9 mil budget max so they don't actually have to offer any improvement at all

Shorter movies would be a net good for the world though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm happy that young people will get to experience a writers strike of their own, I think we old folks remember it semi-fondly and we can still see the short season of our favorite tv shows.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Oasx posted:

I'm happy that young people will get to experience a writers strike of their own, I think we old folks remember it semi-fondly and we can still see the short season of our favorite tv shows.

I was in freshman year of high school during the 07-08 strike. :kiddo: I remember it affecting Conan O'brien's show, that's how I learned about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey, the writers strike saved Jesse Pinkman! But it killed the guy that Landry killed in FNL.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

There are way more excellent storytellers than writing rooms could ever hope to accommodate. The problem is they're bottlenecked by lack of time to write well and refine their craft, studios and producers annihilating the process with thousands of notes and rewrites, and a lack of money and jobs to pursue writing full-time as rooms get shrunk. That's even putting aside all the awful writers who only get hired for their connections.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AMPTP is promoting this view of "boy, TV writing is terrible now, isn't it?" on social media because it's easy to blame the writers for putting their name on something bad when the studio will go to them and say "rewrite these four scenes by tomorrow" or "focus groups indicate that these two characters need to fall in love" in a process that's invisible and illegal to post about.

Let me clarify, and also, overall good points.

Two things have happened.

There are a lot of excellent storytellers out there, but there are also a lot that have not been trained up properly in making good TV and film. There's a lot of TV these days that might hit the nostalgia center, but just isn't very good. That does not mean it's the writer's fault, but considering how they are valued, it's not helping anything.

I think sShe Hulk is terrible. I've read the comics. I like the actors involved. I know the head writer wrote a great episode of rick and morty. It's still, objectively (and that's in the eye of the beholder,) a bad TV show. I could write a thousand words on why it's bad. Yet, I still want everyone involved (down the assistants and gaffers and PA) to be paid a living wage. Because I know enough about the business to know it was still drat hard work, and I'm sure if it was less talented people involved, it could have been much worse. Same goes for the third season of Picard.

I'm half convinced a lot of bad plot lines that are attacked by white males as "woke" didn't even come from the writers, but rather from studio notes who saw a poll that said we need x quadrant so lets throw in a couple of x y z characters. Then the writers, often times part of said groups, wrote something beautiful, and the studio went, "wait, no, not that gay/insert x y or z lived experience by a marginalized group." I'm not a Hollywood screenwriter (at the moment) but I have family members in the business, and they see this poo poo all the time. Incredibly poor planning by executive types.
On the flip side, there are a lot of younger writers being brought in with little experience who have huge ego's coming from academy, (the arrogant award winning playwright is a cliche but there for a reason) who are promoted for similar reasons, and who are cocky about it and think they know best. They have no interest in learning how the sausage is made, and even if their story is good, they don't know how to function in a team setting.

Being a good TV/film writer involves being good with others, not just being able to put beautiful words to the page.

Now, at the end of the day of course it's the studio's fault, and none of these CEO'S should be getting paid half as much as they are. But there's a lot of reasons why the current system doesn't work.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 2, 2023

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Hey, the writers strike saved Jesse Pinkman!

And Hank!

Without the strike we wouldn't have been taught the importance of minerals

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sumo posted:

And Hank!

Without the strike we wouldn't have been taught the importance of minerals

vince gilligan was really gonna gently caress it up if not for that writer's strike huh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seriously whatever the gently caress you want to call your service this week, keep giving reasons to drop the sub.

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1653024219372855297

Pulling Metalocalypse seems especially dumb since there's a movie being made.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Oh gently caress you, we just started rewatching Space Ghost Coast to Coast! :argh:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tubi used to have so much cool old schlock and now it's a wasteland of WB cast-off poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's probably it, they are probably getting shipped off to FAST.

But here's a novel idea! Why not let those who are willing to pay for content continue to watch the stuff in the best quality ad free rather than devaluing their subscription.

This is like the only place to watch all of Space Ghost. You, can't actually buy it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 2, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Writer’s rooms for several TV series have now closed, including multiple Emmy winner “Abbott Elementary,” Netflix animated series “Big Mouth,” Showtime’s “Yellowjackets,” and Netflix’s popular “Cobra Kai”.

All of the scripts for the second season of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” spinoff “House of the Dragon” have been completed for some time and so filming on the second season won’t be affected.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

"Good" is doing a lot of arbitrary work here. "Good" is absolutely not a requirement for media produced. It's a valid artistic choice and I'm sure we all like good shows, but being good is really irrelevant to success and even less so to whatever profit calculations they are making. Good night actually be an obstacle, makes things more expensive and for people to have to work harder and longer.

Maybe 10 years till whatever you call "good AI show" comes out but a lazy grifter like Zaslav is always looking to maximize content while minimizing investment.

We are always going to need humans to tell good human stories to humans, but so long as the world is structured around facilitating profit instead of anything to do with human needs, business creeps will always look at ways to cut humans out of the deals.

There was an interesting New Yorker article telling the stories from a few writers. I don't think it got posted in here: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/notes-on-hollywood/why-are-tv-writers-so-miserable

It talks a lot about the mini writers room and how much writers have gotten squeezed in the past few years. But one of the interesting takeaways was just how miserable it was getting to write, including how stingy studios were getting with their budgets and how they were getting ridiculously risk averse to greenlight new IP. The co-creator of Swarm was saying that they didn't think it'd get greenlight now, given how tight the studios have gotten over the past years. So less money, less room for promotion, more stress and fewer interesting projects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, yeah the scripts may be completed, but I remember on this last rodeo that quality was greatly affected when shows weren't able to do quick rewrites when scenes weren't working.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right and I also remember reading something about how the other unions may not cross picket lines even if scripts are completed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel bad for Dulcé Sloan, she gets to host the Daily Show for one day and then everything comes to a halt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of The White House Plumbers and it is a very goofy show.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the first episode of The White House Plumbers and it is a very goofy show.

I'm all about Justin Theroux but am not on the Woody Harrelson hype train. He just doesn't do it for me.

The last thing of his I enjoyed was True Detective and The Messenger. And those were mainly because of the supporting cast and story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shageletic posted:

Lol it's a stealth crossover when he becomes the oldest being in the universe and is literally the black rectangle from 2001

Old Man Dave on his deathbed: My God.... it's the second Monolith I've ever seen!
Ednolith: That's it, I quit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I'm all about Justin Theroux but am not on the Woody Harrelson hype train. He just doesn't do it for me.

The last thing of his I enjoyed was True Detective and The Messenger. And those were mainly because of the supporting cast and story.

It is a very Woody heavy show.

Edit: lol at the disclaimer at the end stating that "This program is a dramatization inspired by true events. Some of the events, characters and dialogue have been fictionalized, modified or composited for dramatic purposes. But Richard Nixon definitely resigned from the Presidency in disgrace."

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So is it time for the sequel to Dr Horrible?