Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The real question is why they still have glasses or their hair tied back in a braid or whatever when they're supposed to be naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its probably really just to keep the character designs consistent so you know who is who.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Loving the poo poo out of Elden Ring for the last 4 months but I still don't like how From hides quest lines and the consequences of unintended decisions behind a wall of obscurity. It's better than the other games in this regard but a lot of times a character just fucks off to somewhere else on a very huge map and, without a guide, there's no loving way you ever find them again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, it's to build a community of discovery

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just looked up all the quests in a guide and I'm glad I did because it's quite possible to miss out on some of the best Sorcery items if you progress certain chains in the wrong way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm a decent ways into the new Jedi game, I just fought the one armed man, and the combat encounters all seem fairly basic and easy so far. I know the game is supposed to be huge so there's plenty of time for it to get more interesting, but still, I've been playing for like 5 hours at this point. I guess I could turn up the difficulty, but the main thing it looks like that does is decrease the parry window, which doesn't seem like a very fun or interesting sort of difficulty.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm a decent ways into the new Jedi game, I just fought the one armed man, and the combat encounters all seem fairly basic and easy so far. I know the game is supposed to be huge so there's plenty of time for it to get more interesting, but still, I've been playing for like 5 hours at this point. I guess I could turn up the difficulty, but the main thing it looks like that does is decrease the parry window, which doesn't seem like a very fun or interesting sort of difficulty.

The only hard fights I've had so far have been entirely optional monsters which could be made easier simply by coming back later when I had more max health and heals.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes, it's to sell guides

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are guidebooks even a thing in a post internet world? Even beyond looking up a FAQ for free, things will be patched and stuff can be changed around after a game releases.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Leal posted:

Are guidebooks even a thing in a post internet world? Even beyond looking up a FAQ for free, things will be patched and stuff can be changed around after a game releases.

I swear the Diablo 2 battle chest came with a big guidebook for a version of the game patches before the release game so it was literally worthless lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My initial character creation choice (who I played well into Cata) in WoW was decided by reading incorrect information in the manual while I was waiting for it to install and patch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

I swear the Diablo 2 battle chest came with a big guidebook for a version of the game patches before the release game so it was literally worthless lol

You might be thinking of the World Of Warcraft manual, which was about as immediately outdated as you'd think

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

or Strangelove creeping on her

I was slowly coming around on Strangelove being my favorite character in PW and then bam, I get blindsided by that. loving hell.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

The GTA: San Andreas guide came with many mistakes in the item collection maps. Some item locations were straight up in the wrong place (LV horseshoes), used pre-release thumbnails (horseshoes again), or were duplicates (LS gang tags). It was fun getting to horseshoe number 48 or gang tag number 99 and realizing you were hosed. I called up the publisher and they sent fixed pages to tape into the book.

Guess I can't complain too much. Still have the thing, have used it to 100% SA twice, and refer to it on each playthrough. The maps, with their associated lists and thumbnail pics, are covered in checkmarks and asterisks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Burning Shores and this isn't really something dragging it down in any sense, more like something I just noticed, but every male, unless they're quite unique (like the big boss soldier guy) shares the same body, every woman shares the same body. This is obvious, it saves a ton of work for animation and such. But I was just perusing the glossary of characters that shows their model and flipping between multiple characters of the same gender makes it extremely easy to notice this fact.

Like, obvious, and doesn't affect the game in the slightest, I was just surprised that this was the case (even though, again, I shouldn't be because why wouldn't they do this). It's especially noticeable when you see the arms and legs staying exactly the same size and shape no matter who you're looking at.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

It's annoying that Capcom created Luke for Street Fighter 6 when they could've just used Sean and actually fleshed out his character more, rather than leaving him as a joke. Luke even has a few specials and normals from Sean in 2nd impact and third strike...

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I played some Far Cry 4 today and was enjoying it well enough up until the first choose a side mission which starts with a CGI argument between the 2 quest givers and then a conversation between a third party. Then you have to go talk to the person you want to pick for the mission. Well I had triggered the mission accidentally not knowing what it was and I wanted to do something else first so I went to wander off. But then the game was like "you're leaving the mission area" which I was cool with because I wanted to do something else anyway. I get mission failed from going out of the area, cool and good I think... only it teleported me back to the CGI argument. The unskippable CGI argument. Meaning I was not only stuck in the mission I didn't want to do, but I had to rewatch the entire opening CGI again. So I alt+f4'd and uninstalled the game instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like Far Cry Alt-F4

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Morpheus posted:

every male, unless they're quite unique (like the big boss soldier guy) shares the same body, every woman shares the same body.

I think most games fail at this, presenting a realistic spectrum of human body diversity, it's usually just swarms of body clones with the standard different face/hair/clothes as distinguishing features.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

AcidCat posted:

I think most games fail at this, presenting a realistic spectrum of human body diversity, it's usually just swarms of body clones with the standard different face/hair/clothes as distinguishing features.

Famously Mass Effect, even despite having a bunch of aliens who can't fit the mold. Though oddly youthful grannies and such aren't exactly uncommon in video games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the quests in Assassin's Creed Odyssey where they obviously overcorrected for complaints about the slow walk-and-talk segments in previous games by having even 70 year-old grannies run like olympic sprinters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember it bothering me in The Witcher 3 when some old peasant woman would start gesturing at the camera with the same perfectly manicured hands as every other woman in the world. It's just part of game design to reuse assets, but they could've hidden it better by changing colors on some gloves or something.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It didn’t bother me exactly, but it really stood out how in the DLC there’s a scene where Shari (I think that’s the name of the college girl Geralt had a one-day stand with in the books)takes off her shoes and it’s really obvious every “attractive” female has super tall heel boots because her feet are just super unnaturally arched because they didn’t know how to make normal looking ones.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been playing the fun little co-op turn based RPG "For The King" with some friends and for the most part, I really enjoy it. It was on sale, so getting the game and its expansion for seven dollars, not bad at all. What's lame though is how like half the enemies in the game are just kind of immune to most, if not all, status effects. It's not the biggest issue in the world since it's really easy to just overpower poo poo. But I enjoyed running a sort of support build that debilitated enemies, but that doesn't really seem viable. Also, for the life of me, past like the intro area; we literally never get to go first in combat. So it sucks when every enemy goes, focuses on one guy, we each go once, the enemy goes again and they just burn through our lives because they all focus on the one dude every time. But that's just bad luck.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Last Celebration posted:

It didn’t bother me exactly, but it really stood out how in the DLC there’s a scene where Shari (I think that’s the name of the college girl Geralt had a one-day stand with in the books)takes off her shoes and it’s really obvious every “attractive” female has super tall heel boots because her feet are just super unnaturally arched because they didn’t know how to make normal looking ones.

Related, it's so weird that your surrogate daughter figure is hot and wearing basically a Halloween Witcher costume (complete with high heels and exposed bra).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

AcidCat posted:

I think it's easier to suspend my disbelief when they choose a more average body type (or "healthy", rather than average), but I remember Hitman: Blood Money where every man is a literal bodybuilder with 4% body fat and every woman is a 100-pound model with spherical tits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like Arkham, where Commissioner Gordon is what my dad would call a brick shithouse.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lobok posted:

Like Arkham, where Commissioner Gordon is what my dad would call a brick shithouse.

It's no wonder crime is out of control, the commish is a gym rat and doesn't give a poo poo about his job.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lobok posted:

YOUR PARENTS COULD'VE LIVED IF THEY HAD GUNS LIKE THESE, BRUCE! *flexes*

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lobok posted:

Isn't he always, though? Admittedly most of my mental image of Commissioner Gordon comes from the cartoons where he's got a jaw you could beat someone to death with.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, he wasn't swole as gently caress, but he was definitely in good shape in the comics and media. Just... not Arkham's "A body comparable to Batman's when he's wearing the suit" shape.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair, it's not purely a matter of size but perception of him from other design choices. Hair, clothing fit, face, glasses style, etc.

Gordon in the first game looks a lot more square and severe. Seems like he's only a box of hair dye away from cosplaying Mayor Haggar. They softened his look by the end of the series.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Phigs posted:

I played some Far Cry 4 today and was enjoying it well enough up until the first choose a side mission which starts with a CGI argument between the 2 quest givers and then a conversation between a third party. Then you have to go talk to the person you want to pick for the mission. Well I had triggered the mission accidentally not knowing what it was and I wanted to do something else first so I went to wander off. But then the game was like "you're leaving the mission area" which I was cool with because I wanted to do something else anyway. I get mission failed from going out of the area, cool and good I think... only it teleported me back to the CGI argument. The unskippable CGI argument. Meaning I was not only stuck in the mission I didn't want to do, but I had to rewatch the entire opening CGI again. So I alt+f4'd and uninstalled the game instead.

It’s been a while since I played but I’m pretty sure you just have to pick one of them in that conversation and then you can gently caress off and do whatever. I don’t even think your choice matters because they both give you poo poo to do and you can switch to the other one if you want.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snake Maze posted:

The real question is why they still have glasses or their hair tied back in a braid or whatever when they're supposed to be naked.

Naked people still need to see!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pants off, glasses off, then just follow it like a dowsing rod.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Tunic is an amazing game for the most part, except when it decides that it's going to swap from Zelda to Dark Souls for the bosses. Since your character's movement and attacks are largely based off 2D Zelda, you have very limited range, and because all the bosses are designed to quickly pull away to a set distance from attacks there's a fair bit of luck involved in whether you can punish a boss even when they whiff a melee attack. To make matters worse the game's stamina system heavily rewards being at full stamina and punishes being empty by causing you to take more damage AND lose iframes. So if the boss does the wrong set of attacks in a row it can put you in a bad position even if you dodge all of them. A lot of whether I've won or lost against bosses has boiled down to RNG- do they use the attack that makes them vulnerable multiple times in a row, or throw up unpunishable move after move till I run out stamina?

The stupidest part is that there's literally decades of Zelda bossfights to draw inpiration from, which would have fit with the rest of the game far better, and Tunic already features items that would work perfectly!

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
The little thing dragging a lot of games down for me is the padding in AAA titles. There are so many titles which are huge, full of activities and collectibles, and I almost always get bored halfway through. It seems like they all feel the need to justify their existence with masses of content and side activities.

I'd like to play God of War Ragnarok and Jedi Survivor but I've been putting off buying them because I'm intimidated by the size and I know I'll get frustrated with the amount of content in them.

What I'd really like is a website which does game guides for people who get bored easily. I want to know which side quests are actually fun / have story content and aren't just fetch quests, what mechanics I can ignore, and the locations of only the most important upgrades (like health or actually good weapons). A bit like beforeiplay I guess but a "what's skippable" in the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I completely get what you mean but that's gonna be hella subjective for everybody and ultimately side activities and collectibles are always skippable. It took me a while to unlearn the habit of doing everything in every game I picked up, but in the last few years I've had a pretty good success rate in dropping aspects that weren't fun for me. Think it was Breath of the Wild that cured me cause I took one look at 800 Koroks and went lol no I ain't doing all those

and, like, positive whitelist type of guides that tell you what gates the good weapons or health upgrades are probably always gonna be widely available.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ragnarok is basically the main story missions and then a whole bunch of other stuff that is for earning optional attacks, upgrades, and equipment that I would say have more to do with taking down all the optional bosses and challenges.

Judging the side stuff on its story content is tough to do. There are certainly interesting things you learn about many of the characters and several loose ends tied off but I was mainly just doing the side content because of the prospect of fighting new enemies and my goal was eventually taking down all the optional bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grinnard posted:

The little thing dragging a lot of games down for me is the padding in AAA titles. There are so many titles which are huge, full of activities and collectibles, and I almost always get bored halfway through. It seems like they all feel the need to justify their existence with masses of content and side activities.

I'd like to play God of War Ragnarok and Jedi Survivor but I've been putting off buying them because I'm intimidated by the size and I know I'll get frustrated with the amount of content in them.

What I'd really like is a website which does game guides for people who get bored easily. I want to know which side quests are actually fun / have story content and aren't just fetch quests, what mechanics I can ignore, and the locations of only the most important upgrades (like health or actually good weapons). A bit like beforeiplay I guess but a "what's skippable" in the game.

Jedi Survivor is making me remember how much I hate it when AAA games pad themselves out by adding a ton of on rails or effectively on rails "traversal" sections. Uncharted was over 15 years ago, let it go.