Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've seen posts around the internet implying there's been some major update to EmuDeck. Is that correct?

If so, should I update it? I seem to recall reading something about not always needing to update EmuDeck just because a new version is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Clearly the big Switch release everyone is hyped for is Picross S9.

Are there any comparably good Picross games on Steam or should I really just be emulating that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there any comparably good Picross games on Steam or should I really just be emulating that?

One and two

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skip picross and play Everyday Genius: Squarelogic instead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Something must be broken in my brain because getting my Deck all set up again after having to do a factory reset on it is setting off my "new thing" dopamine and I didn't even have to buy a new Deck

I should do this more often really

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I reinstall my desktop periodically just for that fresh-new-notebook/September-in-a-new-grade sense of reinvention. Every time—every time—I forget to back something up and lose some game configuration or a working directory for a dumb project that I didn’t push to github, but I keep doing it for that dopamine.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

been thinking about doing a system reset myself…

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

One day I’ll have to reset when I want to install something that needs a sudo password, because I forgot mine. If I put all my games on the sd card that’ll work on a fresh install, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steam support hasn’t responded to me since Sunday. The thermal image is going straight to Gabe I assume.

For real though, 48 hours plus between responses is a bit much :ssj:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this, maybe to start with, Tears of the Kingdom will be unplayable on emulation.

It was working fine for me, a little chuggy but I don't know if that was shader rendering or whatnot. But, I didn't get far into it, not even out of the tutorial.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Steam support hasn’t responded to me since Sunday. The thermal image is going straight to Gabe I assume.

gaben@valvesoftware.com

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That’s pretty wild. When my usb-c port poo poo the bed it took them like, all of 4 hours tops to have the rma approved and a shipping label in my email and mine wasn’t a second-degree burn/fire hazard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cook a quail egg on it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I was in a barcade a while back and played a really fun arcade game called Killer Queen, which seemed like some Kickstarter project. The game is a more elaborate version of Joust, with up to 10 people in a 5v5 match-up. I was thinking the game would be a lot of fun on the Steam Deck (maybe hard to see on such a tiny screen I suppose) and was disappointed to find it wasn't in steams library of games.

Party games like this have a lot of potential; when docked to a TV and connected to multiple Bluetooth controllers you could get a lot of people playing together.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I was in a barcade a while back and played a really fun arcade game called Killer Queen, which seemed like some Kickstarter project. The game is a more elaborate version of Joust, with up to 10 people in a 5v5 match-up. I was thinking the game would be a lot of fun on the Steam Deck (maybe hard to see on such a tiny screen I suppose) and was disappointed to find it wasn't in steams library of games.

Party games like this have a lot of potential; when docked to a TV and connected to multiple Bluetooth controllers you could get a lot of people playing together.

Oh, weird, it got delisted: https://store.steampowered.com/app/663670/Killer_Queen_Black/

edit: Because Amazon shut down GameSpark: https://liquidbit.com/killer-queen-black-update%ef%bf%bc/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

barbecue at the folks posted:

Get AnyDesk from the Discovery appstore, it makes file transfers to and from the deck really easy + is the easiest way to remote into your Deck to do stuff if you don't have a dedicated dock with kb+mouse.
Until you start getting the nag screens and like 5-minute countdown timers. I've switched to using a KVM switch for when I need to use a KB+M on my Deck.

loquacius posted:

Something must be broken in my brain because getting my Deck all set up again after having to do a factory reset on it is setting off my "new thing" dopamine and I didn't even have to buy a new Deck

I should do this more often really
That's the effect of vent smell.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Aw man I had no idea. I love playing Killer Queen at the Arcade, it’s always a good time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Pictopix works great on Deck.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Proton 8.0, a full numbered update. :monocle:

I have no idea how this will improve my steam deck experience and honestly don't care that much, it's just neat I guess.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

King of Solomon posted:

Proton 8.0, a full numbered update. :monocle:

I have no idea how this will improve my steam deck experience and honestly don't care that much, it's just neat I guess.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/releases/tag/proton-8.0-1c

quote:

Note: Proton 8.0 requires a GPU that supports Vulkan 1.3.

Now playable:
Forspoken
Samurai Maiden
Dead Space (2023)
Creativerse
Nioh 2 - The Complete Edition
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Lydie & Suelle ~The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings~
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book DX
Blue Reflection
Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ DX
Disney Dreamlight Valley
ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS XIV
ToGather:Island
WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition
Exceed - Gun Bullet Children
Gungrave G.O.R.E.
Chex Quest HD
Fixed 2K launcher failure caused by launcher update.
Fixed Arabic fonts in FIFA 21 and 22.
Improved CJK font support in many games including NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Souzou with Power Up Kit, Stardom 3 and Sword and Fairy 3.
Improved sleep/resume functionality on Steam Deck for Tiny Tina's Wonderland.
Improved multi-touch support.
Fixed native scrollbar being always visible in Final Fantasy XIV Online launcher.
Fixed A Plague Tale: Innocence and A Plague Tale: Requiem showing on-screen keyboard when starting the game on the Steam Deck.
Fixed rendering issues during cutscenes in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
Fixed Japanese keyboard input in Final Fantasy XIV Online.
Fixed Football manager 2023 crashing when trying to return from a player profile.
Fixed experimental regression: Fall in Labyrinth started crashing on some setups.
Improved CJK characters rendering in many games including NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Souzou with Power Up Kit.
Fixed Life is Strange Remastered crashing at the end of chapter 2.
Fixed Alt+Tab not working on Gnome 43.
Improved force feedback compatibility for BeamNG and Forza Horizon 5.
Fixed regression with Mortal Kombat X performance.
Fixed OpenGL launch option for Youropa.
Fixed raytracing in Crysis Remastered.
Improved multiplayer support in Company of Heroes III.
Improved fullscreen support for The Last Blade 2.
Fixed regression: Minecraft Dungeons was hanging when disconnecting from multiplayer game.
Fixed Story Mode not working in Dead or Alive 6.
Enabled nvapi for many games.
Updated wine to 8.0.
Updated dxvk to v2.1-4-gcaf31033.
Updated vkd3d-proton to v2.8-84-g08909d98.
Updated dxvk-nvapi to v0.6.2.
Updated wine-mono to 7.4.1.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I see minecraft dungeons is playable via proton, does that mean Minecraft bedrock is as well?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

klen dool posted:

I see minecraft dungeons is playable via proton, does that mean Minecraft bedrock is as well?
Minecraft Dungeons is on Steam, Bedrock is still Windows Store exclusive AFAIK. Windows Store apps don't work on Linux because they require Windows-specific permissions to do their bullshit that don't fly anywhere else.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Commander Keene posted:

Minecraft Dungeons is on Steam, Bedrock is still Windows Store exclusive AFAIK. Windows Store apps don't work on Linux because they require Windows-specific permissions to do their bullshit that don't fly anywhere else.

Oh right I see, I just presumed Minecraft dungeons would be using the same engine and infrastructure as Minecraft bedrock but clearly no lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not the engine, it's the fact that when you install a Windows Store game, the OS locks down the directories the game is written to in a way that only Windows really allows.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

There are a lot of games on that list that I expected would work already. I'm glad they work now, at least

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

klen dool posted:

Oh right I see, I just presumed Minecraft dungeons would be using the same engine and infrastructure as Minecraft bedrock but clearly no lol

Can’t check now but I beleive there is a Bedrock client on the discover store (it’s just the android client emulated but it should have access to realms / your worlds)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

King of Solomon posted:

There are a lot of games on that list that I expected would work already. I'm glad they work now, at least

Some of them did work already and I guess this is just an acknowledgement that they work, umm, better? At least for Dead Space - that technically did work on Steam (infact I think it's Verified) but the performance was.. well, I was never really happy with it personally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

King of Solomon posted:

the "secret" is that most games have probably worked since proton5, it's just nobody with changelog access tried to launch them on those versions, or they had minor issues with easy workarounds (like adding launch options or installing GE) that were recently upstreamed

having an official list is nice though

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
theres 14 Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? thats wild

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

R3K games have been around since the NES era, though I think they started on Japanese PCs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bumhead posted:

Some of them did work already and I guess this is just an acknowledgement that they work, umm, better? At least for Dead Space - that technically did work on Steam (infact I think it's Verified) but the performance was.. well, I was never really happy with it personally.

Truga posted:

the "secret" is that most games have probably worked since proton5, it's just nobody with changelog access tried to launch them on those versions, or they had minor issues with easy workarounds (like adding launch options or installing GE) that were recently upstreamed

having an official list is nice though

Yeah, to be fair I play a ton of games that aren't verified but run just fine on my deck, it wouldn't surprise me at all if most of these titles were the same way. Agreed that it's nice to have an actual official list.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t check now but I beleive there is a Bedrock client on the discover store (it’s just the android client emulated but it should have access to realms / your worlds)

I can confirm - I've been using it a lot lately to join my kids while they play on the Xbox and it works perfectly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vegastar posted:

That’s pretty wild. When my usb-c port poo poo the bed it took them like, all of 4 hours tops to have the rma approved and a shipping label in my email and mine wasn’t a second-degree burn/fire hazard.

Yep, just sent another message looking for an update, we're 72 hours in with no response. If they don't reach out I'm just going to reverse the charges on my credit card, I guess.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss phone support. I'd love to just call a number and have a solution, even if that solution is an RMA, in like 20 minutes flat.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Vichan posted:

Pictopix works great on Deck.

homeless snail posted:

Skip picross and play Everyday Genius: Squarelogic instead.
Thanks for the suggestions! Miku Picross might just be my jam.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yep, just sent another message looking for an update, we're 72 hours in with no response. If they don't reach out I'm just going to reverse the charges on my credit card, I guess.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss phone support. I'd love to just call a number and have a solution, even if that solution is an RMA, in like 20 minutes flat.

Don't reverse your charge imho. You might nuke your ability to ever buy from them again.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Hopper posted:

Don't reverse your charge imho. You might nuke your ability to ever buy from them again.

Yea seriously, Valve is just slow to respond sometimes. If they don't respond keep pestering them but don't reverse charges.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopper posted:

Really? I didnt know that. Do they ban people or what?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Really? I didnt know that. Do they ban people or what?

Not only will they ban you, they'll close your account AFAIK, which means you lose your library, can't even play offline.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Vendors from Valve to yoga studios will absolutely cut you off flat for chargebacks, and they won't wait for you to do it twice - even if you're in the right! It's a smart assumption that if you ever do a chargeback, you're done doing business with that entity.

EDIT: Visa/MasterCard/etc take chargebacks very seriously because they don't like giving money back, so they are fast to punish a business they see as a source of bad charges. It can make it more expensive - or, with enough of them, impossible - for a company to take payments from those channels. So you may get your money back, but vendors aren't going to accept the liability of selling anything to a customer who does it ever again. Hotel chain I worked for in college absolutely banned people nation-wide who did it.

Chargebacks are for an utter and complete breakdown of service so severe from an otherwise legit company that you're never going to buy from again anyway, or like...ebay fraud.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo. Yikes