Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's no Keiko in s2 which is when Miles became A Guy. They don't get married until Data's Day in s4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CPColin posted:

Simon Tarses was also enlisted, but he lied about being a Romulan, so gently caress him

gtfo Satie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Sounds like a job for ElevenLabs Patrick Stewart!

I see no difference whatsoever. Who needs actors?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I've bought down bigger posters than you, Trixie Hardcore!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

There's no Keiko in s2 which is when Miles became A Guy. They don't get married until Data's Day in s4.

Yes he was promoted to a regular earlier but his actual usage beyond glorified extra started with the "getting married" storyline, there are few lines about it in the 50YM books. He wasn't supposed to be "that one", is the one I was saying. And Timby who has a historian's recollection of things will correct me in a short notice. :D

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also it's driven by gamers, so of course it's going to be loud and obnoxious. That said, I can see where they might have a bit of a case, considering how prominently the Enterprise-F was featured in the early trailers for Picard, leading some people to expect that it would play a decent role in the plot of the season, and then it's on screen for 15 seconds and we don't even get to see or hear if it was destroyed or not because of creative cowardice and/or mismanagement.

So I can see why a group of people for whom that was their Enterprise for over a decade now would be upset of it's "mistreatment" by what's otherwise considered canon, doubly so because the Enterprise-G looks like poo poo compared it the F and was made so that one guy could leave his DNA marks all over Trek canon for all time.
I was much more annoyed that they kept teasing the idea that something dumb happened to the E and it was never explained

I've never played STO so I could give two shits about the F

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's weird how he kind of turns into Trump about halfway through the clip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was much more annoyed that they kept teasing the idea that something dumb happened to the E and it was never explained

I found that funny because I never gave a poo poo about the E.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The E is sort of hard to give a poo poo about. Maybe I’m not remembering the TNG movies very well but I feel like there weren’t many glory shots of it or anything to really make it feel special.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

holefoods posted:

The E is sort of hard to give a poo poo about. Maybe I’m not remembering the TNG movies very well but I feel like there weren’t many glory shots of it or anything to really make it feel special.

This is it exactly. We get one establishing shot in First Contact that was a fraction of the time of even the establishing shot of the D in "Encounter at Farpoint."

Then it fires off a few torpedoes in to a Borg cub and is effectively written out of the movie except for the deflector dish scene, the telescope scene, and "Sweet Jesus!". Otherwise we just get bland corridors and a borgified cramped engineering set.

In Insurrection, it's the B plot that gets clowned on almost out of the gate and has one cool shot of taking gas into the bussard collectors.

Here's where I make the joke about that being the end of the TNG movies, imagine I did that.
Ok, anyways, It does get a little more action in Nemesis, briefly before it's clowned on again, but the whole movie is so bad that no one has watched it enough to imprint on those scenes.

I think that's one of the defining things. The Enterprise Refit and The Enterprise-A take a beating in II and VI respectively, but it feels more like a fighter taking hits. You root for it like a character and trust it will see our heroes home. The E just gets beaten, repeatedly, and it feels the same as sets getting wrecked. It's not a character.

I mean, in ST:II the Enterprise refit was as much as the central themes as anything else. The glory days are done, it's out here doing training missions. Low risk stuff. Then it's called back into service one last time to battle Khan but in the process takes the life of one of our heroes (the ship essentially kills Spock). But in the next movie, it gets to sacrifice itself on a quest to bring Spock back.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 3, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In newtrek the enterprise gets taken out instantly and overwhelmingly like... 3 times in 3 films?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunicate posted:

In newtrek the enterprise gets taken out instantly and overwhelmingly like... 3 times in 3 films?

And I don't give a poo poo about that ship either.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Tunicate posted:

E: Exactly.

That's how I feel about the portrayal of the Enterprise in the JJ Trek films.

It has an uncomfortable looking, migraine inducing interior design and either gets blasted to pieces or surgically vivisected in each film installment while loads and loads and loads of pajama wearing redshirts get blown into space (Seriously, at least ST:II showed us Engineering personal with hazard suits and oxygen masks).

At no time does it feel like a profound vision of the future. It feels like a scientifically designed action movie death trap.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Penitent posted:

E: Exactly.

That's how I feel about the portrayal of the Enterprise in the JJ Trek films.

It has an uncomfortable looking, migraine inducing interior design and either gets blasted to pieces or surgically vivisected in each film installment while loads and loads and loads of pajama wearing redshirts get blown into space (Seriously, at least ST:II showed us Engineering personal with hazard suits and oxygen masks).

At no time does it feel like a profound vision of the future. It feels like a scientifically designed action movie death trap.

It doesn't even feel like a starship, from the brewery engineering set to the Apple Store bridge. The Kelvin felt more like a starship and it was on screen for what, five minutes in the first movie?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the best Enterprise version is now SNW

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

the best Enterprise version is now SNW

The best Enterprise is and always will be the Enterprise Refit. Period. There are no other answers.

Art deco exterior and even the interior is fine that would look completely modern if you swapped out those CRTs in the displays.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
I like the E, but i´m also pretty sure that First Contact was my first exposure to the TNG crew as a kid so it wasn't replacing anything I had any strong attachment to.

That it got acknowledged at all is enough for me, and it's status is pretty open ended.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Enterprise H should inexplicably be a 50s B movie cigar rocket ship

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The best Enterprise is and always will be the Enterprise Refit. Period. There are no other answers.

Art deco exterior and even the interior is fine that would look completely modern if you swapped out those CRTs in the displays.

The thing that hurts the interior is the most I feel are the circular computer screens. I think I read somewhere that was something Roddenberry insisted on for some reason

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

If you're going to have a different actor read the intro text, you should really just have them do it in their own way, not try to match the intonation of Stewart, it just highlights how they're not as good.

This is something it took me a couple of listens to get used to with Mount, but I now really like that he went a totally different direction with his read of it. It's not a pronouncement, it's quiet and thoughtful, like a guy dictating his memoir or something.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

The Enterprise H should inexplicably be a 50s B movie cigar rocket ship

The -I is a cheap-looking saucer, complete with visible string

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I want to see an Enterprise in the Rococo style.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I like the look of the Sovereign-class, but not for an Enterprise. I think it works as an updated look on Excelsior-style ships, but I like my Enterprises with distinctive hulls, less sleek and more functional looking.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Generations on the whole was a mistake, but they really messed up by not having the D be the ship they're slowly losing to the Borg.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never really had a problem with the Enterprise-E but that's probably because I liked Bridge Commander so much and most of the game is spent commanding the Sovereign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The sovereign class loses a lot of things that I like in starships and it's not my favourite, but I do have to admit it doesn't have any bad angles and it pulls off what it's trying to be incredibly well. (While my favourite, the D, has so many bad angles.)

A lot of what I don't really like about it is in the details: I'd love to see a take on the sovereign that's got the same overall design but a bit less pointy and noisy.

Knormal posted:

I like the look of the Sovereign-class, but not for an Enterprise. I think it works as an updated look on Excelsior-style ships, but I like my Enterprises with distinctive hulls, less sleek and more functional looking.

Enterprises should be tall ships so they can be Tall Ships in space.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 3, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sovereign is an ok design for a starship class, it's just that the E itself is just a Sovereign with the Enterprise name on it. In three movies we get a handful of flyby shots, some weapons action, a collision, and that's it.

https://youtu.be/WCpYqWAIwFA

This 9 minute sequence on its own does more to showcase and put the Enterprise in the story as a character than all three of the Ent-E movies combined. Inside and out.

As an aside, can we appreciate how much more impactful action is shot in this sequence than people being sucked out of blown out walls or having the level of extreme destruction in modern movies? I mean poo poo, the cut back to the smashed bridge on fire at the midpoint sells "we got hosed UP" more than some Poseidon Adventure disaster movie bullshit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would also like to propose that Sovereign is a terrible name for a Federation starship class.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

As an aside, can we appreciate how much more impactful action is shot in this sequence than people being sucked out of blown out walls or having the level of extreme destruction in modern movies? I mean poo poo, the cut back to the smashed bridge on fire at the midpoint sells "we got hosed UP" more than some Poseidon Adventure disaster movie bullshit.

Eh, it depends on the modern movie. The over-time destruction of the Enterprise in Beyond was incredibly well-realised and visceral, in my opinion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

I never really had a problem with the Enterprise-E but that's probably because I liked Bridge Commander so much and most of the game is spent commanding the Sovereign.

Same. Basically the early 00s Activision Star Trek games all featured the Sovereign and/or Enterprise-E in a prominent role so I got quite used to the design.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Beachcomber posted:

I would also like to propose that Sovereign is a terrible name for a Federation starship class.

Whenever I see that word now I just immediately think of “…that’s David Bowie!!!”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

There's a fanon theory that the Sovereign was rolled out to replace the Galaxy in a more warlike universe, but eight years is way too fast for the Galaxy to be judged, found wanting, and a new giant ship to be designed and placed in manufacturing. So I have a different fanon theory: in my head there was always a plan that they'd develop two super-large ships at that time, an explorer class that would go out into the Galaxy, and a heavy not-as-explorer class that would stuck around closer, near Sovereign Federation space. (I'm aware that's twee as gently caress.) They did the Galaxy first so it could spend a few years doing closer-to-home duties as a bit of a shakedown before it went off into the more distant exploration missions, (don't want to discover a major design flaw when you're two years from the nearest starbase) and then the plan was the Sovereign would roll out and take over near-Federation duties and the Galaxies would fly off to more distant missions. Then Sovereign was delayed a little because of all the new tech discoveries and warp drive changes caused some redesigns, but they were intended as sisters with different roles illustrated by their names.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sovereign is an ok design for a starship class, it's just that the E itself is just a Sovereign with the Enterprise name on it. In three movies we get a handful of flyby shots, some weapons action, a collision, and that's it.

This 9 minute sequence on its own does more to showcase and put the Enterprise in the story as a character than all three of the Ent-E movies combined. Inside and out.

that poor dude stuck in the elevator in engineering lmao

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

that poor dude stuck in the elevator in engineering lmao

It's fine, if there were a good engineer they'd of engineered themselves out of the elevator.

Engineering will be fine without them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it depends on the modern movie. The over-time destruction of the Enterprise in Beyond was incredibly well-realised and visceral, in my opinion.

That's funny, I think it's a perfect example of what they're talking about. All the JJtrek movies had the problem of bloated, excessive action sequences with no breathing room and terrible establishing of stakes or tension, including that one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

There's a fanon theory that the Sovereign was rolled out to replace the Galaxy in a more warlike universe, but eight years is way too fast for the Galaxy to be judged, found wanting, and a new giant ship to be designed and placed in manufacturing. So I have a different fanon theory: in my head there was always a plan that they'd develop two super-large ships at that time, an explorer class that would go out into the Galaxy, and a heavy not-as-explorer class that would stuck around closer, near Sovereign Federation space. (I'm aware that's twee as gently caress.) They did the Galaxy first so it could spend a few years doing closer-to-home duties as a bit of a shakedown before it went off into the more distant exploration missions, (don't want to discover a major design flaw when you're two years from the nearest starbase) and then the plan was the Sovereign would roll out and take over near-Federation duties and the Galaxies would fly off to more distant missions. Then Sovereign was delayed a little because of all the new tech discoveries and warp drive changes caused some redesigns, but they were intended as sisters with different roles illustrated by their names.

I hear you, and that works, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's still not a 'Peaceful' name. Specifically it calls to mind a kind of imperialistic, royal feeling. This ship is the master of all it surveys. It's just...the beginning of the Federation's slow slide into what Picard became. I find it distasteful.

I know, someone's going to bring up Defiant. It's a warship.

I'm going to give it a pass, because the Federation was wounded, but also, it's an underdog name. It's not out to Rule anything, but it'll be damned if it's going down without fighting to the bitter end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, for all I have that fanwank, the name Sovereign does feel wrong, I'm with you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I too have always felt the Sovereign's name to be weird. I dunno how they ever felt it fit in with 'Constitution' and 'Galaxy'. I guess the more muscular 'not your daddy's star trek' vibe was the whole point. Fuckin edgy 90s, man.

bull3964 posted:

It's been ages since i've seen this scene. I think prefix codes have suffered from a case of Kirk Drift. As presented in the movie, they seem like a sensible engineering precaution for a standardized fleet so that when multiple ships are on the same network, helm A's orders aren't being accepted by the computers on ships B and C. In other words, they make the ships more secure and reliable - not less. Even in the scene as presented, the prefix code scam only works with the Reliant actively accepting a data connection.

It reminds me a bit of Culture ships with their unbeatable data warfare based on being able to insert information and code at completely arbitrary points on another ship's network. It only works because they have a physical in.

Also lmao at Scotty just bringing a corpse to the bridge.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 3, 2023

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
He wasn't dead YET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always assumed it was "Sovereign" as in "Independent", as in "This is a ship that's designed to operate autonomously".