Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

he sounds like a day away from death.
Eh? I've know old people that sounded way worse that lived for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's worth noting that in areas where you've got desalination or nuclear operating, that those industrial processes can destroy the local ocean environment. Nuclear plants expel a lot of very hot water, which can have a detrimental effect on ocean life in the area. Desalination plants output concentrated brine, and the extremely salty water likewise can have a detrimental effect on ocean life.

They're still worth doing for a wide variety of reasons, and there are plenty of "desert" areas of the coast that are perfect because they don't really disrupt much life, but it is something to keep in mind.

The damage seems significantly less than the damage done by draining the rivers dry, though, to both the oceanic and inland ecosystems. Definitely a concern for where exactly to set it up, of course.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
For my sins I was scrolling through some of the Twitter reaction to the Crowder video and response. I’m not surprised by most of the reaction except for the female defenders of his actions. Like, I “understand” (and mourn) that some men are awful misogynists with regressive views about women and their role in relationships/society. They see themselves as Crowder, and Crowder as the good guy. I have a much harder time understanding the women defending his actions and siding with him over the wife; do they really want to be the (obedient, “wifely”) abused partner of this guy?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Them personally? For most of them probably not, they're sell-outs who hope to personally benefit by climbing over other women to tell powerful men what they want to hear.

Think Phyllis Schlafly having a lucrative career as a speaker, author, and activist for other women to stay in the kitchen.

Or Milo Yiannapolis making good money for a while being the token gay saying that gay rights are bad.

Any minority you can think of will have sellouts like that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean even outside of that, there are a lot of women who buy into trad values poo poo and have internalized misogyny from the communities that they grew up in and the relationships that served as examples for them throughout their lives. It's like any other group, not a monolith.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah absolutely that too, it's hosed up, I don't blame those women who are just genuinely beaten down and indoctrinated to the point that they think that's what women deserve, that's just sad.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
There are healthy (or at least, relatively healthy enough) relationships that happen to have divisions of household labour that follow traditional gender norms that aren’t de facto abusive.

There is a difference between generally consenting to being responsible for “task X” in a relationship/household, and agreeing that one should be abused in instances in which they don’t/can’t do “task X”.

The people (men and women) defending Crowder in Twitter comments are not merely defending traditional values, but are defending him in this specific instance of abuse.

As for the women sellouts who are trying to gain benefits from powerful men, I understand this dynamic, but it feels there are far more women defending his actions than there can be people actually trying to start a career as misogynistic rightwing grifters. Their support seems more earnest than that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I doubt there are all that many, but the ones who are doing it are exactly the kind to post a LOT

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
"Trump will participate in a CNN presidential town hall moderated by Kaitlan Collins on Wednesday, May 10 from St. Anselm College in New Hampshire."
Wonder how this will play out.
A lot of people mad that CNN is giving him voice, even with their new right wing overlords.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1653119668473700369

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GlyphGryph posted:

The damage seems significantly less than the damage done by draining the rivers dry, though, to both the oceanic and inland ecosystems. Definitely a concern for where exactly to set it up, of course.

Oh, absolutely. It's just something that was kind of interesting that I found out when touring a power plant a few years back. There's always a tradeoff when placing industrial equipment in a natural environment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

"Trump will participate in a CNN presidential town hall moderated by Kaitlan Collins on Wednesday, May 10 from St. Anselm College in New Hampshire."
Wonder how this will play out.
A lot of people mad that CNN is giving him voice, even with their new right wing overlords.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1653119668473700369

Yuge ratings

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Every single mainstream media platform (cable news, websites, newspapers, etc.) saw their viewership/traffic/subscription numbers drop 25-50% between 2020 and 2021.

It's not hard to figure out why they're all champing at the bit to bring back Crazy Donny's Circus Of Chaos. Steady Uncle Joe is bad for business.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's very cool that CNN is already chomping at the bit to normalize the candidacy of a guy that tried to do a fascist coup and is currently facing multiple criminal charges and a civil trial for rape. Is this what the cool zone means?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's obviously in their short-term financial interests to cover him and for him to win so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

It's obviously in their short-term financial interests to cover him and for him to win so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Not really surprised, just exasperated and disappointed that we're doing this exact poo poo all over again.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm so tired

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 2, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Not really surprised, just exasperated and disappointed that we're doing this exact poo poo all over again.

I'm so tired

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Once again there are no consequences for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

It's very cool that CNN is already chomping at the bit to normalize the candidacy of a guy that tried to do a fascist coup and is currently facing multiple criminal charges and a civil trial for rape. Is this what the cool zone means?

Oh I guess you haven't heard that it's now completely normal and acceptable that if you lose the presidential election (and you're a Republican), you get one free attempt to forcibly overturn the government and hang onto power as a part of the peaceful transfer of power. It's tradition now.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

VitalSigns posted:

Them personally? For most of them probably not, they're sell-outs who hope to personally benefit by climbing over other women to tell powerful men what they want to hear.

Any minority you can think of will have sellouts like that.

I don't think anyone really, truly believes they're doing that, it reads like some Disney villain monologue.

People who do things that harm their own group or interests so so because they've been lied to and have intense cognitive dissonance. If someone in your class/position is struggling, it must be because they aren't "doing it right", and are either weak, dishonest, or evil. This means it's YOUR job as a GOOD [whatever] to expose that person as a fraud, because they're making YOU look bad by association.

The person's social standing rising or staying the same is obviously desirable, but they probably aren't
honestly thinking "ah yes I will destroy her to promote myself"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

People lie to benefit themselves all the time.

Fox just settled a lawsuit that revealed text messages showing the hosts knew that the election fraud story was BS but reported it anyway because money

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vaginaface posted:

I don't think anyone really, truly believes they're doing that, it reads like some Disney villain monologue.

People who do things that harm their own group or interests so so because they've been lied to and have intense cognitive dissonance. If someone in your class/position is struggling, it must be because they aren't "doing it right", and are either weak, dishonest, or evil. This means it's YOUR job as a GOOD [whatever] to expose that person as a fraud, because they're making YOU look bad by association.

The person's social standing rising or staying the same is obviously desirable, but they probably aren't
honestly thinking "ah yes I will destroy her to promote myself"

People rationalize stuff like that pretty easily by saying to themselves that they’re just looking out for Number One and trying to survive, maybe also convincing themselves that their target doesn’t deserve survival, or that it’s a zero-sum situation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

That's an cynical and short-sighted take.

It's also in their middle-term interests to be able to cluck and strut about supposedly asking "tough" questions, and "holding the former president accountable," a phrase rendered so nebulous by liberal overuse as to be entirely meaningless, but comforting to suburban bourgeois types who aren't personally threatened by a fascist takeover, but who have just barely enough of a conscience to feel put out by it as it happens.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ron DeSantis for you. How overcrowded are the prisons in Florida at this point?
https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1653100659493724174?t=zoxd2e-kGDHOVMVjg_D_sQ&s=19

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1653100659493724174?t=zoxd2e-kGDHOVMVjg_D_sQ&s=19

*Teaching children that LGBT people exist has been reclassified as rape

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I AM GRANDO posted:

People rationalize stuff like that pretty easily by saying to themselves that they’re just looking out for Number One and trying to survive, maybe also convincing themselves that their target doesn’t deserve survival, or that it’s a zero-sum situation.

It's also a lot of "Surely these face-eating leopards won't eat my face if I'm one of the good ones, and also they're against [Pick one: The gays, the transes, black people, Other (please specify)] so maybe I can use them to advance my agenda."

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Xand_Man posted:

I implore you to never go on to iFunny because that is literally what they say. Any teaching of anything involving LGBT people is child abuse and rape and grooming.

That place might be the single worst outlet of far far right conservatism. Nothing but hate and racism and misogyny without any hint of sarcasm or satire. It’s a literal breeding ground for nazis, and the current target is ANYTHING to do with gay or trans. They see “school teaches kids it ok that gay people exist” and immediately translate it to “they are teaching gay poopy buttsex in schools and forcing kids to gay gently caress” and “they are grooming kids to chop their dicks and tits off and then having them taken away from the parents if they protest”.

It might be the disturbing app/site on the web, and yes that includes Stormfront.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Censorship!

Donald Trump Jr. Rips Into Fox News Over Not Inviting Him on in Months

quote:

Donald Trump Jr.—the self-proclaimed general of the meme wars—tore into Fox News on a podcast Monday, partly over the right-wing cable behemoth not welcoming him on their airwaves in nine months. “I’ve been watching the censorship happening, even in conservative mainstream media,” Trump Jr. said on a Monday edition of the right-wing Steak for Breakfast podcast. “You saw what Fox did to Tucker Carlson last week, and the week before that, it was Dan Bongino, and, you know, the people who would actually question some of that narrative like: Is it a brilliant plan to send $130 billion to Ukraine, one of the most corrupt nations in the world?” Then the son of the former president took issue with the network over not having him on in months. “I used to be on Fox 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 times a week. I haven’t been on in nine months. Not a call, not an invite, not anything,” he continued. “So I understand what it appears like they’re trying to do to the America First movement. You know, Tucker was another one of those voices,” he concluded, suggesting Carlson’s Fox News ouster was over the host talking about forbidden topics. A Trump Jr. spokesman declined further comment, while Fox News representatives didn’t return The Daily Beast’s request for comment.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-jr-rips-into-fox-news-over-not-inviting-him-on-air-in-nine-months

LOL that not even Fox wants anything to do with useless cokehead failchild.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Trump Jr. just wants to do shots with some tidepods and show off his rare pepe NFTs, why must they deny him airtime?!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Well good thing Matt Gaetz will never face consequences for his actions ever, or he'd be on death row right now.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 2, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

Censorship!

Donald Trump Jr. Rips Into Fox News Over Not Inviting Him on in Months

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-jr-rips-into-fox-news-over-not-inviting-him-on-air-in-nine-months

LOL that not even Fox wants anything to do with useless cokehead failchild.

Fox should have Hunter Biden on. That would spike their ratings.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What is the pope going to do when we start executing priests and bishops?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

killer_robot posted:

What is the pope going to do when we start executing priests and bishops?

More related to Floridian interests, what are they going to do when all their high-school football star players are on death row for raping 15 year olds?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

It wasn't rape, obviously :smith:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about all the church youth group leaders, and regressive teachers and other hundreds of other notdragqueens.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Like I get the bit and we all know it'll be selectively enforced, but it'll be selectively enforced

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xand_Man posted:

"Let's lock more people up in prison" - The party of freedom

Also:

This is the end result of 30 years of RWM and talk radio.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Surprised that "makes liberals angry" isn't higher.

Now this is mindboggling. McCarthy really is the weakest Speaker in history.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1653560163624730625

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surprised that "makes liberals angry" isn't higher.

Now this is mindboggling. McCarthy really is the weakest Speaker in history.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1653560163624730625

And of course that smug fucker Thomas Massie was involved.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:ms:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1653577758360887297

NYT supposedly gets its hands on the Text Message That Ended Tucker's Fox Career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
They knew about this text message from *checks timestamp* 2 years ago, and they just now fire him over it?

Nah. Bullshit. No way.

Besides that, that message is tamer than the poo poo he used to say nightly. I don't buy it.