Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LeadingReport/status/1652844656403570690

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/tisstef/status/1653039227079098369?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think that’s enough of a threat that you’d be justified in ringing his doorbell, and when he approaches, shooting him yourself

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Taking pride in making a child cry and threaten to pull her hair.
https://twitter.com/TisStef/status/1653098474169069568

What insanity did I miss where we're terrified of people knocking on our doors or ringing the doorbell? Pretty sure in 2023 using the button that you installed to notify you of people at your door is still the best way for someone at your door to notify you that they're there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

iWeatherNut

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Gyges posted:

What insanity did I miss where we're terrified of people knocking on our doors or ringing the doorbell? Pretty sure in 2023 using the button that you installed to notify you of people at your door is still the best way for someone at your door to notify you that they're there.

YouTube and Facebook rabbit holes specially designed to keep you scrolling by offering you more and more extreme conspiracy theories such as “people will come to your front door and knock and act normal but they really want to kill your entire family” while serving your ads based on your demographic.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Why even have a doorbell then?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nebrilos posted:

Why even have a doorbell then?

So you know when to get your gun, obviously

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

So you know when to get your gun, obviously

Get you're gun? Why aren't you already holding it? If you keep wandering around unarmed like that, you may as well just chop yourself up and mail your self to the nearest coyote, or teen out past curfew yourself, as that's exactly what your doing anyway!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gyges posted:

All those horror movies with creepy demon possessed kids are finally taking a toll on society's mental health

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Reflexively dialing 91 when I hear the postman pulling up, and by dialing 91 I mean start blasting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rare_cryptid/status/1653401380713840642

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Ordering DoorDash so I can commit legal murder as well as enjoy a warm meal afterward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Far-right, Christian cell phone company.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

poemdexter posted:

Ordering DoorDash so I can commit legal murder as well as enjoy a warm meal afterward.

Plus the order of food will still be there when you're finished your meal!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

zoux posted:

Hell is a real place and we live there.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

zoux posted:

It scans to TMNT if you pronounce it cump-ny

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I suspect that one reason for our polling crisis is that the populace is now savvy enough and cynical enough to recognized that all of those questions are just "Do you support Trump, yes or no". That survey contradicts all the other surveys we've seen about the electoral viability of running on anti-woke BS. I suppose it's possible that republican primary voters are becoming fewer and are concentrating the hitler particles as they boil down, but I really do think it's just an artifact of people knowing what pollsters are really asking about.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

I suspect that one reason for our polling crisis is that the populace is now savvy enough and cynical enough to recognized that all of those questions are just "Do you support Trump, yes or no". That survey contradicts all the other surveys we've seen about the electoral viability of running on anti-woke BS. I suppose it's possible that republican primary voters are becoming fewer and are concentrating the hitler particles as they boil down, but I really do think it's just an artifact of people knowing what pollsters are really asking about.

or maybe there's a large portion of population that literally believes and feels exactly what is presented in the chart.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

poemdexter posted:

or maybe there's a large portion of population that literally believes and feels exactly what is presented in the chart.

I expect it’s this. It’s just culture war now.

Anything the left is doing is wrong and anything the right wants, like gutting health care for veterans, is so abhorrent that they can’t say it aloud so they have to poll on hate for an abstract undefinable concept.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poemdexter posted:

That portion is also overrepresented in polls thanks to polls relying on the sort of unsolicited outreach no one else will tolerate any more

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

That portion is also overrepresented in polls thanks to polls relying on the sort of unsolicited outreach no one else will tolerate any more

The only people I know with a “land line” are in their 70s.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Murgos posted:

Even if they called my cell phone I wouldn’t answer, because receiving endless scam calls have drilled into me to never ever ever answer a number I don’t immediately recognize

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Murgos posted:

Cool what makes you think they're using land lines? They text, email, and call cell phones

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thaddius the Large posted:

Even if they called my cell phone I wouldn’t answer, because receiving endless scam calls have drilled into me to never ever ever answer a number I don’t immediately recognize

Yeah, is there a single normal human being who doesn't screen their calls anymore? What kind of sicko just answers unknown numbers?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's actually a massive problem as sometimes, for work, I need to actually phone people and have a conversation with them about whatever safety issue they've recently created. A lot of times, it will simply get ignored. And does anyone actually listen to voicemails? That's even rarer!

The lack of will to do anything about scam calls has created a situation where a fundamental means of communication has been essentially rendered useless. And, having built one or two apps based on automated voice and text, I'm not terribly surprised. You can sign up for a "local" phone number from essentially anywhere in the world in 2 minutes and be doing fuckery with it instantly, and the only check is that "if we get complaints about your number, we might look into it!"

It's actually worth it to restrict this poo poo to the point that our telephone system doesn't become an unusable, worthless hellscape.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

It's actually a massive problem as sometimes, for work, I need to actually phone people and have a conversation with them about whatever safety issue they've recently created. A lot of times, it will simply get ignored. And does anyone actually listen to voicemails? That's even rarer!

The lack of will to do anything about scam calls has created a situation where a fundamental means of communication has been essentially rendered useless. And, having built one or two apps based on automated voice and text, I'm not terribly surprised. You can sign up for a "local" phone number from essentially anywhere in the world in 2 minutes and be doing fuckery with it instantly, and the only check is that "if we get complaints about your number, we might look into it!"

It's actually worth it to restrict this poo poo to the point that our telephone system doesn't become an unusable, worthless hellscape.

I mean, I always listen to my messages, because 99% of the bullshit scam calls don't leave them. "If it's important, they'll leave a message." It sucks that that makes your job harder, but until these worthless motherfuckers in Congress are willing to lift a finger for consumer protections of any kind, I guess this is how it's going to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean, I always listen to my messages, because 99% of the bullshit scam calls don't leave them. "If it's important, they'll leave a message." It sucks that that makes your job harder, but until these worthless motherfuckers in Congress are willing to lift a finger for consumer protections of any kind, I guess this is how it's going to be.

Oh I agree, absolutely. It's just frustrating that the relevant governments have thrown up their hands and said "well, gently caress all we can do about this" because it's a problem across the world. It's not "Congress," it's literally the legislative and executive branches of every country in the world with enough money to be worth scamming, because no one has lifted a loving finger to even try to improve this problem.

And I mean, yes, there are grey market calls that could be addressed with consumer protection legislation, but the real problem is the outright scam callers. And we do arrest and prosecute them... when they're subject to our jurisdiction.

EDIT: I do answer strange numbers, but I do not listen to voicemails. If it's a scammer, and I have the time, I like to gently caress with them a bit. They're getting cleverer, sadly, I need to work on sounding like a mentally enfeebled person or they just hang up right away.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I use a US accent for that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno why there isn't a massive bipartisan push to fix this problem, typically whenever there's something stupid that everyone hates that won't go away, like pennies, there's some lobby behind it but who's lobbying on behalf of teenage macedonian cell phone scammers

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

zoux posted:

I dunno why there isn't a massive bipartisan push to fix this problem, typically whenever there's something stupid that everyone hates that won't go away, like pennies, there's some lobby behind it but who's lobbying on behalf of teenage macedonian cell phone scammers

Probably because the elected officials we have put in charge of poo poo do not understand the problem, the underlying technology behind it, or how to fix the issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lager posted:

Probably because the elected officials we have put in charge of poo poo do not understand the problem, the underlying technology behind it, or how to fix the issue.

Luckily they all employ people that do.

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1653501757949988879

Lol RIP to whoever judge that gets this case

This is the text Fox execs are pretending opened their eyes to Tucker Carlson's racism
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1653756579848634368

https://twitter.com/JimSwiftDC/status/1653746712601669632

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 3, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarshaBlackburn/status/1653752161233141762?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought the dude was dead.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

Luckily they all employ people that do.

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1653501757949988879

Lol RIP to whoever judge that gets this case

This is the text Fox execs are pretending opened their eyes to Tucker Carlson's racism
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1653756579848634368

https://twitter.com/JimSwiftDC/status/1653746712601669632

White men fight by pulling the trigger. Duh.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I thought the dude was dead.
After his experience in their theater, I can see why he didn't get a Ford.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Well, I've got 'good' news on the communist part!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Y'know I wish this guy was the racist cartoon caricature I had always imagined, instead of someone that can really think through how they're being evil and then do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

Same, but this goes for a lot of "common sense" things that, on the surface, should be easy enough to do and make a part of your campaign. Only thing I can figure is like you said, that there's a lobby element to it, but a part of me thinks that most people running for office rarely even have to deal with it. One would think that cracking down on scammers and spam phone calls would resonate across party lines.

Of course, I feel this way about universal healthcare too and we know how that's coming along.

Telling that political campaigns have exempted themselves from what meager restrictions they've placed on robocalls though.

Inferior Third Season posted:

After his experience in their theater, I can see why he didn't get a Ford.

:drat:

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 4, 2023