Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

e: bonus (they gave me the binder, I did not bring it...)

Ashinoko Skyline, IIRC.

Duuuude. And the prices are very reasonable. We're doing it.

Edit: I presume you can bring a passenger with you?

Double edit: Their website says yes

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Japan actually requires an international driver's license? Wow

Are there any other countries that actually require one. I've only ever had them ask for my passport

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Japan actually requires an international driver's license? Wow

Are there any other countries that actually require one. I've only ever had them ask for my passport

Curious about this too since I stopped getting them.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

KillHour posted:

Thanks for this. So I added this detail in the Japan thread but not here because I'm stupid:

The thought is to do the first week in Kyoto, stop near Fuji (or wherever else is good) on the way to Tokyo and spend a night in a really nice (best I can reasonably get a reservation for without being a famous person) ryokan. Call it a budget of ~1k USD. Can go higher if it's REALLY worth it.

Definitely looking for recommendations there. I know there are some really famous ones but it's hard to tell what is good and what is just expensive.

Also maybe rent a car and enjoy a drive through the countryside before heading to Tokyo for the last week.

Hokkaido would be cool as gently caress but I did a 2 week drive up the West Coast of the US last year and it was kind of a bummer to have to rush so much to fit everything in. I'm sure I'll go back again.

A big thing for us is food. Suggest to me all of the delicious food. I'll eat at a 4 figure Michelin place or a run down hole in the wall as long as it's worth my time. Should I find a place to try fugu? I feel like I should probably try fugu.

Your scope is a little more reasonable with the extra stops planned - I would legitimately suggest 2 nights in an upscale but not over-the-top ryokan vs. 1 night at $1K. I've done a single night ryokan stay and felt very rushed, and a two night stay where I found a local activity for part of the full day and then just relaxed for the other part. I feel like it captures the ryokan exp[erience better.

I'm glad others suggested fun2drive - friends have really enjoyed it. I've heard from friends that "drives through the countryside" aren't as doable unless you're literally talking about just an afternoon driving around a few towns. Longer distance drives are heavily tolled, so if your plan is e.g. to drive from Fuji to Tokyo and see some sights along the way, you'll want to be sure you understand the actual cost of that trip and have some good certainty that your rental place can facilitate the RFID toll system and not gouge you on the pass-through pricing.

Fun2Drive is in Hakone, which is between Kyoto and Tokyo and absolutely filled with ryokans. It would be an ideal intermediate spot.

For food, I would recommend booking a meal at Tsuru to Kame - it's a Kaiseki restaurant (serves 10+ small courses made of seasonal ingredients) in Ginza. It's staffed entirely by women, as the founder is a woman who got sick of the "boy's club" that is fine dining and decided to start her own. Pricing is extremely reasonable for kaiseki dining - the meals are either 12,500Y or 17,000Y, if I remember correctly, depending on which you choose. Both times I've been have been extremely great. I will say that the larger course left me absolutely overstuffed, so if you're planning to start with dinner before moving to some other activity, I'd do the smaller course.

You should try fugu in Osaka, which is sort of known as "the fugu town." It's a quick train ride over from Kyoto, and you'll likely find your way over there if you're staying in Kyoto for any length of time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

Your scope is a little more reasonable with the extra stops planned - I would legitimately suggest 2 nights in an upscale but not over-the-top ryokan vs. 1 night at $1K. I've done a single night ryokan stay and felt very rushed, and a two night stay where I found a local activity for part of the full day and then just relaxed for the other part. I feel like it captures the ryokan exp[erience better.

I was thinking I might want to do 2 nights, but I still want the luxe experience (unless it's just straight up not worth it). If my budget was $1500-2k, what places should I look at?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KillHour posted:

I was thinking I might want to do 2 nights, but I still want the luxe experience (unless it's just straight up not worth it). If my budget was $1500-2k, what places should I look at?

A week in Kyoto, in my opinion, is too much. Right now the weather is getting too hot, and Kyoto is extremely packed. The overtourism from Japan being closed is very real: there are excessive lines and crowds for many attractions, even immigration is backed up getting into the country.

That's a really luxe budget, and honestly you do not need to go overboard with your ryokan experience. If you want something near Mt Fuji, try Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan. It's the oldest hotel in the world. I haven't been, but it's a more reasonable price point and kind of cool to say that. The second oldest hotel is Houshi Ryokan.

Keep in mind also how low the JPY is. If you're paying excessively it's likely because Western properties like the Park Hyatt Kyoto and Aman Tokyo are gauging for tourist money and charging global/USD prices: there won't be Japanese staying there.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 3, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

A week in Kyoto, in my opinion, is too much. Right now the weather is getting too hot, and Kyoto is extremely packed. The overtourism from Japan being closed is very real: there are excessive lines and crowds for many attractions, even immigration is backed up getting into the country.

I'm sure it will be busy, but I'm going in November so I'm not worried about the heat.

quote:

Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan

There was just a Tom Scott video on that place, so I'm thinking it's going to be crowded as gently caress. But maybe still worth a shot.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm sure it will be busy, but I'm going in November so I'm not worried about the heat.

Ohh that's a good time to go, with the leaves changing color. I recommend you do the Hakone circuit.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

The new Global Entry kiosks weren’t recognizing my face (kept cycling) and I had to go talk to an agent and show my card which I had thankfully brought with me. He mentioned that maybe it’s because my GE photo has me wearing thick framed glasses whereas the new kiosks want you to remove my glasses? Anyone run into this before? A new GE photo means I need to get an appointment which is not easy these days.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Is it possible to get GE by July if I were to apply now?

I should really get pre check one of these days too but I'm kinda dumb. Only 300k from million miler.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Global entry comes with precheck

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

The new Global Entry kiosks weren’t recognizing my face (kept cycling) and I had to go talk to an agent and show my card which I had thankfully brought with me. He mentioned that maybe it’s because my GE photo has me wearing thick framed glasses whereas the new kiosks want you to remove my glasses? Anyone run into this before? A new GE photo means I need to get an appointment which is not easy these days.

I've not had this problem but I took off my glasses for both the original picture and any kiosk usage today. I don't think it's as much of a GE photo as other shots they've taken, but that's a supposition on my part.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpeedFreek posted:

Is it possible to get GE by July if I were to apply now?

I should really get pre check one of these days too but I'm kinda dumb. Only 300k from million miler.

Yes, but only shot you have is appointment on arrival unless, like, you go to Sault St. Marie or whatever (ask for Rob, he's a cool guy as reported by my buddy who lives in the UP). Plan accordingly.

And as KillHour noted, you'll get Precheck along with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Another option, if you're close to Canada, is to get Nexus. No idea if that's better or worse though.

Edit: LOL 12-14 months.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of Global Entry, mine expired in March and I didn't apply for a renewal in time so I figured I'd have to go through all the bullshit again, but I applied 2 days ago and I was just straight approved, no interview necessary.

I was actually kind of worried because I heard they are super picky about arrest history even without a conviction and I was arrested during the BLM protests, but I disclosed it and I guess they didn't care enough to make me come in and justify it so :toot:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What's changed for international travel since 2019? I'll be headed to Germany again later this year if I don't find a new job by then.

I'm no longer diamond and had 8 GUCs expire the beginning of this year, flying comfortably probably won't happen. Does the reserve amex get you into partner lounges?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No

It’s one flight, you’ll survive

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

United now has this weird "contactless" credit card thing that involves them not being able to find your card in their system, and then you handing them your phone so they can check it's loaded into the app

I think all the carriers finally dropped their no alcohol in economy policy now that we're not masking anymore

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you guys have any traditions or things you do before you or spouse goes on a long business trip, or return

Wife is headed out for a weed week and then flies directly to a conference for uh, 11 days total

Bonus points if you have small children at home and the answer solves for that

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I make it different every time so they know I actually care and missed them and thought of them vs just following a schedule or a repeated thing

Get them something / take them to dinner / flowers / fly them out to see me in the middle of a trip / whatever

Also nyc hotel prices are lol this next weeks. 1300 for the park Hyatt

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe a dumb place to ask this, but are there any places offering flights on a B17? Looking for something to get my dad as a gift as his dad (my grand father) was a B17 radioman/gunner and my dad was a B52 avionics tech.

Apparently there are a few places that used to offer paid flights, but none seem to operate at the moment through my quick googling.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was either a b17 or b26 or b27(??) In Dallas was like $400

I think the FAA recently grounded all of them over some maintenance issue, like in the last 5 days

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There was either a b17 or b26 or b27(??) In Dallas was like $400

I think the FAA recently grounded all of them over some maintenance issue, like in the last 5 days

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/all-b-17s-to-be-grounded

There was also a crash of one a few months ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You misspelled mid air collision

Can't look it up right now but it's a pretty grisly twitter video if you're into that kind of thing. Almost looks staged

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007
Kinmata https://www.kinmata.com/english/info.html is a ryokan we really enjoyed when we were in Kyoto many years ago. They may not be doing overnight stays anymore as the son recently took over for his dad in running the place, so they're very busy with not enough people to run it. Try emailing them to see if they have availability.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Do you guys have any traditions or things you do before you or spouse goes on a long business trip, or return

Wife is headed out for a weed week and then flies directly to a conference for uh, 11 days total

Bonus points if you have small children at home and the answer solves for that

Lately I've been coming up with nice ways to tell my wife that no, she does not necessarily have to go on every "girls' weekend" she is invited on, yes I understand that it's Megan's 40th, but do you know how tiring it is taking care of our son these weekends when you're away?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Okay which one of you was this:
https://twitter.com/AlyssaM_InfoSec/status/1655035983971098625?s=20

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

Lately I've been coming up with nice ways to tell my wife that no, she does not necessarily have to go on every "girls' weekend" she is invited on, yes I understand that it's Megan's 40th, but do you know how tiring it is taking care of our son these weekends when you're away?

How's that working out for you, champ?

I ....yeah. Laughing and thankful I'm not traveling this week.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Beef Of Ages posted:

How's that working out for you, champ?

She's going to Santa Barbara next. :negative:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Maybe you should parent your kid or whatever idk

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Someone I know was telling me divorce was awesome because the kids only have to be looked after every other week.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
There a place to eat that isn't awful for lunch in Denver?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Denver’s small and without traffic so I’m sure whatever anyone suggests will work for you

Quality Italian is good at 3. Tavernetta is nice.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I meant in their sprawling Q-anon airport.

I wish I was downtown.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh nah there’s nothing

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

FunOne posted:

I wish I was downtown.

Centurion lounge is your best bet if you’re on team Amex. Otherwise it’s pretty standard airport fare afaik.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Someone I know was telling me divorce was awesome because the kids only have to be looked after every other week.

Being DINKs is the best. We can spoil our nieces/nephews and never have to worry about taking care of them. Also, when my wife wants to jet off to St. Croix or France with her friends, or I want to go to Washington DC or Japan with my friends, we just go

sorry Sundae :smuggo:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FunOne posted:

I wish I was downtown.

Nah airport is awful for food.

BabyJebus posted:

Centurion lounge is your best bet if you’re on team Amex. Otherwise it’s pretty standard airport fare afaik.

Yup.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

First biz trip in 3 years and it’s for a full month, god drat. At least arriving in Shanghai Hongqiao is insanely improved compared with how it used to be. Was in and out in about 30 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

I wish I was downtown.

Root Down for sit-down food in Terminal C, Modern Market for take-away in Terminal B. You're not going to find anything amazing but I find these two places consistently better than the other DEN options.