Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Can someone tell my computer illiterate rear end if a bog standard laptop could run this old game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750/Blood_Fresh_Supply/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Extra row of tits posted:

Can someone tell my computer illiterate rear end if a bog standard laptop could run this old game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750/Blood_Fresh_Supply/

Based on the reported system requirements, yeah you'd have to try to find a laptop on the market in the past couple years with stats lower than that

e: also i'm pretty sure as long as you play a game for under 2 hours Steam will let you get a refund for basically any reason

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Nice, thank you :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Killingyouguy! posted:

The videos for Danny Elfman's 'Gratitude' and Genesis's 'Jesus He Knows Me' both make visual reference to televangelism by a set with a light blue backdrop with wood toned furniture and tropical plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_nDVjykgDk&t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rfCnW5VlE&t=51s

Was this in reference to a particular televangelist, or was this just kind of what it all looked like in the late 80s?

e: or... are all churches (of a certain type?) blue? i've never been inside a church

The Genesis video for Jesus He Knows Me was mimicking a specific guy, Ernest Angley, but yes, a lot of televangelists/churches had that general look back in the day.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

what perspective or projection would this be called?
Where you have top down, but can see sides as if they were seen at an angle

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's actually a mix of multiple projections.
LTTP uses an orthographic projection for the floor and all the contents of the rooms, but a 1-point perspective projection for the walls (and I think pits?) to achieve that 3d effect.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm starting my new job tomorrow, and it's a in a different time zone (i'm in central, it's a pacific). any hot tips on not getting screwed up on time zones?

the good thing is since work is in an earlier time zone, if I confuse it with mine, i'll be two hours early instead of late. it's not really the work stuff i'm concerned about, more any appointments I have here. I did add a second time zone in outlook web, though that only shows up in certain calendar views, and not the calendar sidebar

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

i'm starting my new job tomorrow, and it's a in a different time zone (i'm in central, it's a pacific). any hot tips on not getting screwed up on time zones?

the good thing is since work is in an earlier time zone, if I confuse it with mine, i'll be two hours early instead of late. it's not really the work stuff i'm concerned about, more any appointments I have here. I did add a second time zone in outlook web, though that only shows up in certain calendar views, and not the calendar sidebar

outlook just handles any timezone shenanigans for me meetings-wise.
For any verbally discussed or slack discussed timeslots, I just always clarify I'm discussing in terms of the most commonly used timezone. Which for you is probably pst.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Methanar posted:

outlook just handles any timezone shenanigans for me meetings-wise.
For any verbally discussed or slack discussed timeslots, I just always clarify I'm discussing in terms of the most commonly used timezone. Which for you is probably pst.

ok, i just realized I could change my default time zone to CST, i'm dumb. I did add PST to the general calendar view though. I just get paranoid that it's going to receive a meeting invite and not set the time zone correctly, and so I will be two hours late!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah outlook/teams handles all of that if you set your timezone properly. I've been working for a west coast company while living in Texas for years and I've only gotten mixed up once when someone verbally gave me a meeting time because Teams was down (we both translated for the other's time zone without telling each other and laughed about it later).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I work with a global team and we just let Outlook take care of that, verbally it's usually like "let's talk your morning tomorrow" and then scheduling in the free time.

Just browsing some apartments in the US for fun, and I see a lot of them having this sort of design when half of it is elevated a bit.

What's up with that? If the space is tall enough, I've seen the "bedroom" being actually above the kitchen/living room, which gives you more floor space. This seems to have no advantage though and you have to walk up/down stairs?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Some could be stylised but if you're building on a hill that you can't dig into easily then having a house with a mezzanine can work. Source: grew up in a house like that and the stairs actually make a fun jump when you're a kid and video games don't exist in a real way yet.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I can't seem to find this information online and I'm afraid to ask anywhere else...

I go to a lot of local music shows, and frequently there are like competing DJs? Often the show will be listed as like "DJ Smoov vs. DJ Whacky" or something. I don't go to very many electronic shows though, but I've seen that as a real common headliner for shows that have multiple DJs.

But now I'm maybe seeing that format listed for metal shows and now I'm not sure if they think (or if it has just become a common thing) that vs. means "with"? There's a show I want to go to tonight but it's listed as "Dirt Bandits vs. Nonbinary Boyfriend" (names made up). I'm going to go to the show either way, but I don't want to ask ahead of time if there is going to be an interesting competitive theme to it or -- or if they just mean "with."

Edit 1: Although I do see "versus" as having a definition "compared with," so maybe it does just kind of mean that. I've never heard "versus" mean anything other than one against the other.

Edit 2: I suppose I've answered my own question.

Edit 3: To summarize what I've learned today: "Versus" can mean "compared with."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wanted to use an old formatted iphone as an ipod and got lazy and told the old phone it was my new one so that it would have internet password.

Is there any harm in doing this? My newer phone gave me a message saying I could trade it in or sell it, otherwise I haven’t noticed any changes. If I wanted to, how would I make it my New Iphone again?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah outlook/teams handles all of that if you set your timezone properly. I've been working for a west coast company while living in Texas for years and I've only gotten mixed up once when someone verbally gave me a meeting time because Teams was down (we both translated for the other's time zone without telling each other and laughed about it later).

what is now messing me up is that in the quick view calendar where it shows up on the right of my mail, the times display in CST like I want, and if I do add event from there it's also in CST. But if I create a new event from the full calendar view it allows me to select the time zone, which is defaulting to PST.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

wrong thread

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 2, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

what is now messing me up is that in the quick view calendar where it shows up on the right of my mail, the times display in CST like I want, and if I do add event from there it's also in CST. But if I create a new event from the full calendar view it allows me to select the time zone, which is defaulting to PST.

I haven't really used it, I always just use the meeting invite which auto-fixed timezones for me.

Maybe check File -> Options -> Calendar, and you can poke around and find the default timezone? If that's already set then I'm out of my depth.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

I haven't really used it, I always just use the meeting invite which auto-fixed timezones for me.

Maybe check File -> Options -> Calendar, and you can poke around and find the default timezone? If that's already set then I'm out of my depth.

that's ok, it seems to be working fine for me now. thank you though

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

abelwingnut posted:

who are some famous movie or tv characters that are just flat out, impossibly rude? like, foul-mouthed, ill-mannered, treats everyone with complete disrespect, especially anyone trying to serve them. yells and goes nuts anytime anyone tries to stop them.

they just feel totally above everything else.

Gene Hunt from Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes (do NOT watch the US version of Life on Mars)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97Df2sB994

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 2, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

I can't seem to find this information online and I'm afraid to ask anywhere else...

I go to a lot of local music shows, and frequently there are like competing DJs? Often the show will be listed as like "DJ Smoov vs. DJ Whacky" or something. I don't go to very many electronic shows though, but I've seen that as a real common headliner for shows that have multiple DJs.

But now I'm maybe seeing that format listed for metal shows and now I'm not sure if they think (or if it has just become a common thing) that vs. means "with"? There's a show I want to go to tonight but it's listed as "Dirt Bandits vs. Nonbinary Boyfriend" (names made up). I'm going to go to the show either way, but I don't want to ask ahead of time if there is going to be an interesting competitive theme to it or -- or if they just mean "with."

Edit 1: Although I do see "versus" as having a definition "compared with," so maybe it does just kind of mean that. I've never heard "versus" mean anything other than one against the other.

Edit 2: I suppose I've answered my own question.

Edit 3: To summarize what I've learned today: "Versus" can mean "compared with."

In my experience, when it's for stuff like metal/goth/industrial or whatever genres that used to (like in the 90s lmao) get lumped in as 'alternative scene' then "DJ X vs DJ Y" just means you've got two DJs on the decks together at the same time and not competing, more of a 'with' than a 'versus'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Whenever I turn my laptop on, it has the wrong date, and the Internet won't work until I manually set the date. I guess my question is a two parter, first of all, what the gently caress, and secondly, is there any way make it stop forgetting the date and time?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

!Klams posted:

Whenever I turn my laptop on, it has the wrong date, and the Internet won't work until I manually set the date. I guess my question is a two parter, first of all, what the gently caress, and secondly, is there any way make it stop forgetting the date and time?

It might be set wrong in the BIOS? You'll need to look up how to access the BIOS for your specific laptop but generally it's that 'press (whatever ) to interrupt normal startup' right after you press power

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Losing the date/time settings can be a sign that the CMOS battery is failing. I'd check that first, because it's usually just a simple coin battery like a CR2032 and that's like a $3 fix. Directions for replacing it are specific to the laptop model, but it's usually pretty simple.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was watching Jurassic Park and the credits roll went:
Sam Neil
Laura Dern
Jeff Goldblum
and Richard Attenborough as John Hammond

Why did Mr Attenborough get the "and" and the role name and the other stars didn't?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

That standard of credit is usually for when you get a big name playing a smaller role. It's usually like an extra little respect thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think it's a way of honoring someone who is huge in stature but is playing a relatively small part in the movie

e: fb

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

good list of examples: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndStarring

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Tree Bucket posted:

I was watching Jurassic Park and the credits roll went:
[i]Why did Mr Attenborough get the "and" and the role name and the other stars didn't?

Responders above probably posted links that covered it better, but credit ranking is a Big Deal in the industry, getting an "and" or "with" at the end of casting credits is more important than first billing and people will deadass knife fight for it

Once you start paying attention to it you'll see it everywhere, the most famous person is always credited last, like they're doing the rest of the cast a favor by showing up at all

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the answers, everyone.
Is the order of credits for the crew similarly contentious? Or is there a set order in which the roles get listed?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Depends on the calibre of production, but there's a fairly standard listing order. Start with "above the line" people, they generally are contracted for the entire production, like the director. Then "below the line" which is generally hourly/day rate guys. Credits tend to start with the guys that built it/shot, like art department and camera ops. Then down into lighting and sound, eventually down into craft services and transpo.

Then you'll see post production like mastering and special effects done off site.

Often times the unions have opinions on how these are listed and they may be negotiated. In the credits for almost anything you watch the very end will be the union bugs for groups like IATSE and Teamsters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

actionjackson posted:

Make sure your manager knows if your manager is in another time zone. Also if you have schedule limitations keep them in mind when taking shifts.

It's probably easier for you than it is for living in the Arizona time zone where people just don't realize the time doesn't change there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The order that stars' names appear on movie posters is also considered highly important, and if I recall correctly so is the order their likeness appears on the poster but it's not the same order.

(I can't remember where I heard/read about that, which is a shame because it was absolutely fascinating and I want to hear/read it again)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’ll also sometimes see diagonal billing, where one actor’s name appears left of but also below the other’s, so that neither can said to be more prominent.

As a recent example, IIRC The Last of Us did this with Pascal and Ramsey.

e: The Wikipedia article is pretty extensive with examples.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 3, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if they reverse that in countries where the natural order is right-to-left.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
And add to that the visual hierarchy of faces on posters.
That's why you end up with actors faces underneath the wrong names on posters that have them side by side.

Are 'and introducing ...' credits a big thing anymore?
One example I can think of is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, who ended their feature credits with Ke Huy Quan, who was a completely unknown kid at the time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the easiest way to convert .webp files to an image format that anything actually understands?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

What's the easiest way to convert .webp files to an image format that anything actually understands?

On the off chance you have a Mac, the built in Preview app can open and export them to whatever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm on Windows.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

IrfanView understands it, at least with the format plugins which you can also get there. You can then view and save in a different format.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For spreadsheets hosted on Google Sheets, you can change the /edit at the end of the url to /htmlview or /pubhtml to get a no-bullshit read-only html version of the spreadsheet without any of the javascript editor bloat.

Is there a similar option for Google Docs?
Like if someone puts a public document up and I just wanna read the words without all of Google's text-editor stuff getting in the way, what's my best option?

Grassy Knowles posted this response when I asked this in the wrong thread:

Grassy Knowles posted:

code:
/export?format=[pdf, docx, etc]

This almost works, but it seems like it requires some weird permission so for some publicly-visible documents that I can't edit it just redirects to a "request access" screen