Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pup Named Scooby was great. Especially the kid named Red Herring, who Freddy always immediately blamed for whatever was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda lol that A Pup Named Scooby-Doo establishes all of the gang are trust fund kids. Including the dog.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I mean, have any of you ever seen them receive payment for solving a mystery? It looks like they just keep stumbling into pro bono work, something's gotta keep the Mystery Machine gassed up and the Scooby Snax stocked. Being a bunch of trust fund kids slumming it makes as much sense as anything. This was all established before "we're doing it for a reality Ghost Hunter show" was a viable source of income.

idk maybe they sell weed to townies on the side or something

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

mind the walrus posted:

The boy's club doesn't let people with actual different perspectives write and I know you know this.
This is kind of a weird take -- not for comics in general, but specifically for the weird HB reboot comics. Those HB Revamp books are almost five years old now and both Marvel and DC have expanded the diversity of their staff, but even when they were coming out you had a pretty wide swath of comics written by people who checked off 0-3 of the Old White Straight Man. There's the solid argument that those people almost never get the keys to big iconic characters like Batman or Spider-Man, or get sort of pigeonholed into writing characters that match their identity.

But writing weird revamps of sixty year old children's cartoons probably fell mostly to old white guys because they were the only people vaguely interested in doing weird revamps of old characters. Mark Russell (who did the Snagglepuss and Flintstones comics) was born in 1971, which just barely makes him the youngest of the writers who took on more than a one-shot for the HB line. Garth Ennis is the only other one born in the 1970s (1970), and everyone else involved were born between 1950 and the mid 1960s. There was exactly one one-shot written by anyone who isn't over 50 now, and I think three written by men who aren't straight cis white ones. There were to the best of my knowledge no women involved writing or drawing them, though the editor of the line was a woman in her fifties.

Concurrent to the weird HB books, you had women, LGBTQ people, and people of color (or a combination thereof) working on a bunch of books including books featuring of the Bat Family, Superman, Wonder Woman, the X-Men, the Avengers, the Justice League, Hulk, Black Panther, Ghost Rider, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Star Wars, etc. etc.

Big Two comics are in many ways still an Old Boys Club, and there are vocal lovely sections of the industry who strive to keep it that way, but "only old white dudes were interested in doing sordid retellings of Ruff & Reddy and Huckleberry Hound, so the actually queer creators were stuck writing Batman and the Justice League" is not much of a data point for that.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In case the original post came of as mean-spirited: this is just me trying to explain why I don't get the appeal. If you read it and liked it, that's probably your gain and my loss because you got something out of it and I haven't tried it yet.

And whoever set that not wanting to read about Stonewall through a cartoon cat: it's not an insulted boomer take ("How dare they!") and more of a general feeling of "what does this random franchise add?" And I can't really put that sentiment into arguments because it's a gut feeling. The closest I've come to defining it is that it feels like encountering deranged fanfiction.

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Snagglepuss in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

taiyoko posted:

Today I learned that anyone used it to mean anything other than "grumpy/irritable/stubborn"! Like in the "darn kids, get off my lawn!" sense. Also like a person or animal refusing to do something reasonably expected like the kid stubbornly refusing to eat their vegetables or a pack animal that's decided they're not taking one more step.

Samovar posted:

...what the heck else does it mean? I only know it as that, and so does Google.

Around here I have always heard it more in the sense of mischievous, puckish behavior--getting under someone's skin for the joy of it or to push boundaries, not necessarily cantankerous. I got called ornery a lot as a kid, in the same sense that an adult might look at Calvin's (of Calvin and Hobbes) behavior. Like I said, I didn't realize they were the same word for the longest time.

E: corroborating source https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=5584

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Rather be hornery than ornery

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, have any of you ever seen them receive payment for solving a mystery? It looks like they just keep stumbling into pro bono work, something's gotta keep the Mystery Machine gassed up and the Scooby Snax stocked. Being a bunch of trust fund kids slumming it makes as much sense as anything. This was all established before "we're doing it for a reality Ghost Hunter show" was a viable source of income.

idk maybe they sell weed to townies on the side or something

It’s always like somebody’s uncle or Mama Cass or someone. You need some kind of in with Mystery Inc most of the time.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
One of the original pitches that led to Scooby-Doo was titled Mysteries Five. There were five teens in the titular band and their bongo-playing dog called Too Much. They drove around solving mysteries in between gigs. I guess they kept the van but dropped the band part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So somewhere between a Famous Five and Monkees ripoff?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Kevin DuBrow posted:

their bongo-playing dog called Too Much.

Quoting this for the next time I'm naming a dog

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There were five teens in the titular band and their bongo-playing dog called Too Much.

"You have a dog that plays the bongos"

"Yeah, that's Too Much, man"

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Top Cat should have been the gay reboot

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

One of the original pitches that led to Scooby-Doo was titled Mysteries Five. There were five teens in the titular band and their bongo-playing dog called Too Much. They drove around solving mysteries in between gigs. I guess they kept the van but dropped the band part.

Like Jabberjaw? Hanna-Barbera did a huge amount of "recycling" with their hits.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lost in the middle of all of the DC HB comics was one called Future Quest, that was actually quite solid. It was a crossover series between like, Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, Birdman, and some of the other older and more niche or obscure HB cartoons.

It wasn't trying to be edgy or 'mature' or anything, it was just a fun solid little adventure comic. It's been way overlooked because of books like the Flintstones and the Snagglepuss and all the rest, and it's kind of a shame.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Every other HB mystery cartoon ended up getting the band, at least.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ponzicar posted:

As a kid I never really liked the Hanna Barbera stuff, no idea why but maybe it is because so much of the poo poo looked the same. But I do remember Jabberjaw because didn't he have some weird crush on one of the girls in the band? Even as a kid I thought poo poo, she better date him because he's a loving shark, he will eat her otherwise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

I've heard some of the Scooby-Doo reboots were actually fairly good. Just not the last one.

Hanna Barbera had been rebooting/revamping Scooby Doo since Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics in 1977 and Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo in 1979. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in 1988, 35 years ago.

ponzicar posted:

Yeah they kept trying to replicate the success of Scooby Doo over and over and over and over with the "3 to 5 teens plus [wacky character] who solve mysteries" format: Goober And The Ghost Chasers, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Speed Buggy, The Funky Phantom, Clue Club, Jabberjaw, The New Shmoo, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, etc etc

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqLLQqqYzmc&pp=ygUNamFiYmVyIGphdyBjbg%3D%3D

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hanna Barbera had been rebooting/revamping Scooby Doo since Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics in 1977 and Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo in 1979. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in 1988, 35 years ago.

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorperated was the latest one I remember supposed to be fairly good, and that was 2010's. That being said, according to Wikipedia, there have been 14 Scooby-Doo series, and I'm honestly not sure if that sounds about 10 too many or 10 too few.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some of those had good episodes but for the most part they were forgettable. Not even necessarily bad just boring.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hanna Barbera churned out a massive volume of lovely cheap by-the-numbers cartoons for decade after decade, I can only imagine that the conditions in their production offices were like something out of Glengarry Glen Ross except they were screaming about cutesy cartoon dogs instead of closing real estate deals

ABC!
Always!
Be!
Cartoon dogging!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hanna Barbera churned out a massive volume of lovely cheap by-the-numbers cartoons for decade after decade, I can only imagine that the conditions in their production offices were like something out of Glengarry Glen Ross except they were screaming about cutesy cartoon dogs instead of closing real estate deals

ABC!
Always!
Be!
Cartoon dogging!

No please don’t be cartoon dogging you’re making it for children

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is Velma considered part of the official scooby doo canon?

And don’t insult my intelligence by saying there is no “official” scooby doo canon, I’m not an idiot

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Velma is anti-canon, it takes the concepts of scooby doo and shits on them on purpose. The less said about that show the better.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anything with Vincent Price is Scooby Doo canon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It’s very funny that the internet collectively stopped talking about Velma after the premiere. Clearly it’s just nothing of a show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It did bring us this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJUFqeJehE

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Randalor posted:

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorperated was the latest one I remember supposed to be fairly good, and that was 2010's. That being said, according to Wikipedia, there have been 14 Scooby-Doo series, and I'm honestly not sure if that sounds about 10 too many or 10 too few.

Mysteries Inc. is arguably the best Scooby cartoon they've made. It's really fuckin' good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Any Scooby Doo that has Harlan Ellison play himself as a recurring character is ok by me.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Behold, my 14th ghost of scooby-doo.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

still a jam

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Any Scooby Doo that has Harlan Ellison play himself as a recurring character is ok by me.

Speaking of media and authors that did not age well...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
His "Pay the Writer" rant is pretty apropos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

oldpainless posted:

Is Velma considered part of the official scooby doo canon?

And don’t insult my intelligence by saying there is no “official” scooby doo canon, I’m not an idiot

I'm still pretty sure the moment the production contract is done it'll join the tax write off graveyard.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Ongoing strike had me thinking about the last strike which had Dr Horrible and wow, talk about a shitshow of a cast and creative voice with Whedon, NPH and Fillon all being revealed various shades of rot from 'jerk' to 'unrepentant abuser'. At least Felicia Day's still cool?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait, what's wrong with NPH?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kchama posted:

Speaking of media and authors that did not age well...

Thought he was just sort of a general rear end in a top hat til I read about his defense of that sexual abuser who ran that con. gently caress off my dude

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

Thought he was just sort of a general rear end in a top hat til I read about his defense of that sexual abuser who ran that con. gently caress off my dude

Don’t read up on Isaac Asimov at cons, then. Genius is so frequently connected to being skullfucked beyond redemption.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hong Kong Phooey. Jesus, I assumed it ran for like 8 years or something, because it was on UK kids tv constantly in the 70's and early 80's. There's 16 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Torquemada posted:

Hong Kong Phooey. Jesus, I assumed it ran for like 8 years or something, because it was on UK kids tv constantly in the 70's and early 80's. There's 16 episodes.
holy poo poo what

I just tried to explain Hong Kong Phooey to my wife the other day (unsuccessfully) and I also assumed it had at least three full seasons

according to wikipedia "The original episodes aired from September 7 to December 21, 1974" that's not even half a year