Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

OctaMurk posted:

aint registerin for the daily beast, can you post it

Wasn't paywalled for me, so:

quote:

After spending the last year reassuring Russians that victory is inevitable in the war against Ukraine, the Kremlin is now frantically working to lower expectations—and rolling out a contingency plan to lessen the impact of a humiliating defeat.

A new manual prepared by Russia’s presidential administration and distributed to the Kremlin’s army of propagandists contains some surprising instructions: Do not “underestimate” Ukraine’s impending counter-offensive and do not spread the idea that Kyiv is somehow “not ready” for it.

That’s according to the independent news outlet Meduza, which says it obtained a fresh copy of the manual and spoke to sources close to the Kremlin about it.

“If the offensive is unsuccessful, it will be possible to say: the army [of Russia] skillfully fended off an attack that was superior in power,” making the “victory” that much more impressive, the sources were quoted saying.

But perhaps more importantly, the sources explained, if the Ukrainian military manages to take back territories and claim battlefield victories “with the help of weapons from the U.S. and Europe,” Russia’s losses will be understandable—after all, they were up against the “entire West.”

In that case, the sources said, the Russian military will also be seen as having “pulled through.”

And just in case any Russian citizens begin to wonder about the colossal amount of funds the government is funneling to the very same Ukrainian territories it decimated before declaring them “part of Russia,” propagandists are advised to steer clear of the subject.

Instead, Kremlin spin doctors want their mouthpieces to churn out material on Russia upgrading schools and kindergartens, or hospitals.

“It’s clear there will be problems with the economy, and it’s clear why. Spending on the ‘special military operation’ isn’t going anywhere,” one source close to the presidential administration said, noting that funds will go towards the “new regions” rather than the old ones and people will inevitably feel neglected. “It is better not to show in specific amounts how much was taken [for the new regions].”

The Kremlin’s new guidelines are a stunning reversal from just a year ago, when propagandists were still pushing the idea that Russia would soon be reborn as a mighty superpower taking control of huge swathes of Ukraine.

At that time, the war was still a distant reality for many Russians—unlike now, when even residents in St. Petersburg and Moscow are on edge over drone attacks and even, in some cases, bomb-toting “Ukrainian pigeons.”

Security concerns were cited as the reason for the cancellation of Russia’s beloved Victory Day celebrations in some cities on May 9.

“There will be no parade, so as not to provoke the enemy with a large concentration of equipment and military personnel in the center of Belgorod,” the governor of the border region said last month.

Even in Moscow, the country’s biggest Victory Day parade this year will forego its traditional procession of the Immortal Regiment, which sees thousands march carrying portraits of loved ones who died fighting in World War II. Authorities reportedly feared some people might show up carrying portraits of troops killed in Ukraine, inadvertently calling attention to the staggering losses there.

The Kremlin reportedly instructed its propagandists not to “play up” preparations for the parade.

And Moscow officials are also on high alert over any potential embarrassing disruptions in the parade: Utility workers have been ordered to patrol the city in search of bombs or drones ahead of the event, according to Sota.

That move came after a Ukrainian banker publicly offered 20 million hryvnias (about $545,000) to anyone who can design a drone—ideally painted with “Glory to Ukraine!”—that will land on Moscow’s Red Square in the middle of the parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Posting on the horse cum death list

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The tl;dr is, according to some doc that may or may not be real, Russia says to use basically the same spin as Ukraine in Bakhmut - "We made them pay dearly for taking this territory, blah blah blah". Believe of that what you will I suppose.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

The tl;dr is, according to some doc that may or may not be real, Russia says to use basically the same spin as Ukraine in Bakhmut - "We made them pay dearly for taking this territory, blah blah blah". Believe of that what you will I suppose.

People did not buy it last time (explaining that the center of your newly-acquired region was surrendered to the enemy... lmao) so good luck with that copium rationing if Ukraine manages to hit hard and reclaim something juicy

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Computer viking posted:

This week, a policeman was sentenced to seven years in jail for having criticized the war in a private phone call. The government attorney argued that the conversation was public because it was being wire tapped.

This sounded absurd but indeed other news sources reported that the conversation was deemed public because a police investigator listened in on the call and now he's going to a penal colony. His lawyer tried to argue that this made no sense, but to no avail. The ex-policeman was Ukranian-born.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No poo poo? Huh.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Guardian is saying that Putin is cancelling public celebrations: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/02/putin-cancelling-public-celebrations-safety-fears-ukraine-war

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

More good news for Russia. This is how you know they're winning.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
E - nope, picture of animla cruelty in there that I failed to notice

e2 - Russian nazis training kids to shoot weapons was the article

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tai fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Special Operation in Ukraine? Never heard of it!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tai posted:

edit by TM - Gross images in the article

Normal country

Heads up (pun not intended) that article has a Russian neo-nazi literally holding up a severed puppy's head by the ear. I couldn't come up with something more evil if you put a gun to my head.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 2, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bakhmut? I hardly know ut!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A worse man than I could go for a Bach Moot joke

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Heads up (pun not intended) that article has a Russian neo-nazi literally holding up a severed puppy's head by the ear. I couldn't come up with something more evil if you put a gun to my head.

Maybe you could edit it out of your quote...

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Zero VGS posted:

How could NATO do this

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

GABA ghoul posted:

Everyone itt will be sentenced to death if Putin ever finds out about our pants making GBS threads and horse cum jokes :ohdear:

Not me. I put “in Minecraft” at the end of my posts so they got nothing on me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xenocides posted:

Not me. I put “in Minecraft” at the end of my posts so they got nothing on me.

Fyi I've asked Jeff to start word filtering this to "in legally actionable fact" so this trick might not work much longer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Fyi I've asked Jeff to start word filtering this to "in legally actionable fact" so this trick might not work much longer

so we'll be seeing classified information leaking in legally actionable fact discords now

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

sebmojo posted:

Thanks for the head up. Will change to “in Star Citizen”.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

sebmojo posted:

How do you tame a horse in legally actionable fact?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sure okay posted:

Nice try Mr Pence.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sure okay posted:

Very carefully

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sebmojo posted:

:lmao:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All the cool kids play Roblox anyways.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What about people playground?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This is just a legally actionable military operation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's a humanitarian effort to bring water to Crimea

What war?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My attorney says that "J/k of course (unless...)" is sufficient to establish doubt o f intent.

Frakas
Mar 6, 2022
everyday its eping

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
in DayZ

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sebmojo posted:

RIP to the Minecraft thread (I don't actually know if we have one anymore).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Really saddened that "Wink wink" is not legally binding as an escape clause anymore

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Really saddened that "Wink wink" is not legally binding as an escape clause anymore

Is a nudge as good as a wink on today's current market? With the economy and all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kchama posted:

RIP to the Minecraft thread (I don't actually know if we have one anymore).

They kept posting gore so the hockey mod closed it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Is a nudge as good as a wink on today's current market? With the economy and all

Worth an elbow jostle and a tch tch same as in town

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lmao

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

ohshit

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Computer viking posted:

I translated a thing over in the GiP thread, but why not doublepost it here.
--

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

thank you for this, that is very interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Computer viking posted:

I translated a thing over in the GiP thread, but why not doublepost it here.
--

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

This was an interesting read