Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Everybody do the dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Til your whole family hits the floor

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Awful NEET keep is going to murder them, steal the laptop to game and then go on the lam.

Jfc this arc is amazing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Awful NEET keep is going to murder them, steal the laptop to game and then go on the lam.

Jfc this arc is amazing.

Plus theres two girls on the way to pummel him for unrelated gamer toxicity

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus theres two girls on the way to pummel him for unrelated gamer toxicity

I bet they're involved in the police finding his confession so quickly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Are you talking about the aunt's line? "Why is it we have to obey you to such an extent?"

That line could probably use some localization. It's kinda rhetorical and not meant to be answered.

The original Japanese is 「卓也さん、何でそこまでこちらがあなたに従わないといけないんですか?」"Takuya-san, nande sokomade kochira ga anata ni shitagawanai to ikenai n desu ka?" "Takuya, why do we have to go so far to obey you?"

I think a better English rendering would be "Why should we even listen to you?" or "Why do you think we have to obey you?"

I think Auntie is saying she's no longer going to follow Gorou's unreasonable directives, but it's said through a language and culture that stresses obedience and deference to male members of the family. So in a sense she's showing defiance in the most polite way she can muster. She's using pronouns in a language that often omits pronouns so that she's making herself absolutely clear--"Why must WE obey YOU?"

Sorry for the over-explanation. I wasn't happy with the line but I also didn't want to change its meaning too much. When I do these long winded explanations I'm just trying to show my work--not show off or anything. If doing this for over two years has taught me anything it's that I got a lot to learn and really I'm only an amateur. Not a native speaker or expert or anything. Just trying to bring my best knowledge to the text.

Appreciate it! It didn't come across to me it was a rhetorical question. I also appreciate the over explanation, it's often the smaller things that require the most detail.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I wanted to comment here on how weird Japanese is.

Touru says here a cut-off version of what should be 「上手い」 "umai", as given by the hiragana furigana (i.e. the little pronunciation guide characters on the side) 「うまっ」, announcing that the food is delicious. Cutting off your adjectives like this is a pretty common way to add emphasis.
However, rather than 「上手っ」, the author instead wrote 「美味っ」 from 「美味」 "bimi" or 「美味しい」 "ooishi" and then specified how it was pronounced. Obviously, just writing 「うまっ」 would have been far simpler, but you see this sometimes, particularly with things like special attacks in anime, where you get the best of both worlds - you use the kanji to give meaning and then you can get creative with the pronunciation - or, as in this case, you can go with what the character would have said, but add kanji for clarity for readers.
It's a unique feature of languages with these kind of logographs, maybe even unique to Japanese because it has both the logographs and the (two sets of) syllabic characters.
What I think is extra funny though is that none of these words match the kanji phonetically anyway (except "bimi"). These are gikun or jukujikun, where the characters are used for their meaning rather than their pronunciations. Ateji is the opposite, where characters are chosen for their pronunciation rather than their meaning, such as "longevity administer": sushi.

Brother Make fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 2, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:negative:

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

edit: I made a mistake here. Gorou says 「ここを出ます」 "koko wo demasu." 出る deru means "to leave, exit", but it also has several other meanings and I mixed em up in my head and got it wrong. He's actually announcing HE'S LEAVING. First attempt in quote below.

quote:

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 3, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If they buy that then they are the dumbest people ever

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If they buy that then they are the dumbest people ever

Right? Seriously hoping that as soon as he leaves the room Grandma goes, "He definitely lit that fire!"

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I see them falling for it. They're frazzled, lost their family as well, and in a swirl of anger and confusion from his outburst before.

He has successfully sent the family into disarray.

Then he gets arrested.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
They're probably gonna be like "wait.. the police suspect you??"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Suspect A posted:

They're probably gonna be like "wait.. the police suspect you??"

“Wait…the police suspect you? Wait, why am I not surprised by this?”

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

I made a mistake in translating the previous comic so please be sure to read the quoted one below.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hope he gets kicked out

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Space Kablooey posted:

I hope he gets kicked out

Same, but like when you say someone got choked out. I want him to be kicked until he's unconscious.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Same, but like when you say someone got choked out. I want him to be kicked until he's unconscious.

:hmmyes:

oh hey shes shouting at him how am i not surpriesed

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Cat Hatter posted:

After this buildup he’s totally getting Scott Tenormanned.

But isn’t “I haven’t done anything wrong but I’m still scared of the cops” really not a thing in Japan? Especially with elders?

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

サンキュー sankyuu "thank you"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
God damnit lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That picture of the cat slamming the silverware saying NEET NEET NEET but its CONSEQUENCES CONSEQUENCES CONSEQUENCES

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:cripes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He just told you he was going to kill you like 2 minutes ago

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"this guy is acting suspicious as hell and comically abusive, it must just be because he's scared and needs sympathy"

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 4, 2023

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Never thought i would wish for a cartoon character to self defense himself until i read this arc.

Author sure knows how to write an utterly reprehensible waste of air character though.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

projecthalaxy posted:

That picture of the cat slamming the silverware saying NEET NEET NEET but its CONSEQUENCES CONSEQUENCES CONSEQUENCES

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Thank you

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i hate him.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

1000000 years plate repayment arc begins here.

What are the chances this will not be handled and will in fact be "Can't trust you idiot with anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

aaaaaa! i hate him! go away!!! aaaaaaaaaaa