Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Gonna do a trial of adding TDS. Guests have never ever been a draw for this show, so we'll see. To be fair, guests aren't the draw for me for any of the shows, but it would seem that they are for many people. Even so, there are definitely nights where I'm excited for a guest, but that's never happened for TDS. It's as personality-based as any of the lates but half the length—at least nominally; extended eps on streaming sometimes approach the 40 min mark, and virtually every ep is extended... why the gently caress would anyone subject themselves to CC's ads, bugs, and over-compressed sound, just to see a partial version of what will be online in a few hours?

So yes, there is a looming deadline for the WGA's contract with the AMPTP, expiring at midnight, and word is that the outlook isn't optimistic. I'm going to be speaking in an editorial fashion because it's easier and I have no obligations for objectivity.

https://twitter.com/beingjanine/status/1653093149928218624

It isn't hard to see what's going on here. Netflix, Amazon and Apple have effectively gig-economy'd the writers' room (please see the aforementioned New Yorker article). They have scripts for entire series written before they're even greenlit for production and have tons of content ready to produce. Thankfully the other unions appear ready to stand in solidarity with the WGA, so good luck getting those shows shot.

https://twitter.com/bittrscrptreadr/status/1653102324305510400

Preface: I stand in support with the WGA and welcome this strike, if for no other reason than it is a long time coming, and also I need the fuckin break. I have so much TV and movies to catch up on.

Sadly I fear that this strike will not have a good outcome. Netflix is probably happy that this is happening, as it stands to hurt the nets most. NBC's woes in selling air time in late night have been written about by me in prior posts. Quick update: Seth's shows last week were back to the pre-2023 promos, about 60 seconds of them, meaning his show is selling again. This trend has also all but disappeared from Kimmel and CBS lates as well. Only Fallon is still bleeding, staying at about 4.5 minutes of promos a night (like Seth, his show was about 60 seconds of promos last year). Between that and his absolute inability to improvise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAMyrDV3bpw

I do not expect things to go well for him these comings weeks/months, if a strike happens after tonight.

Seth absolutely CAN do loosely-scripted well (see: Corrections), but as having up to half of the show's running time dedicated to ACL is primarily responsible for his show's success, that's probably not happening. Maybe shorten his show to half an hour during the strike and just do guests? For Fallon, see if he can poo poo out three-five jokes on his own for a monologue and spend the rest of the hour interviewing and playing games (which isn't far off from what he's already doing, except apparently it takes 24 writers to poo poo out those amazing monologue jokes every night?)

I wasn't watching Kimmel back in 2008 so I couldn't tell you how he handled those six weeks without writers, but I guess if he did it once he can do it again.

Colbert? I don't know. Corden got the gently caress out of Dodge just in time to avoid the poo poo show.

TDS is entirely written, it survived by the personality of its established host last time and, well, uh, there is no established host right now. I think that there's a great opportunity for TDS to shine though, all the correspondents together could carry the show with field pieces and loosely-scripted bits. Could be fun!

My takeaway is that Netflix sees this as a moment to expedite the death of OTA/trad tv. Hopefully the other unions form ranks and force Netflix to acquiesce or at least go full scab, and that they suffer the consequences. Also i hope it takes two-four months so I can chew through this mountain of Blu-rays that have been stacking up :shepicide:

Ahem.

THAT SAID, tonight Colbert welcomes Nic Cage to take the Colbert Questionert. Actually they recorded it a couple weeks ago when Cage was a guest, and hey, maybe they've banked lots of material to go for a few weeks of strike shows? Kimmel's got Charlie Day, and Seth has Parker Posey, that's cool. Also if you're not ready to let go, CBS has reruns of Corden at least through May 12; this week we're curiously going back a year with shows from May 2022 Monday-Thursday. They should take this opportunity to run the best eps from 2015-2023 but that's just me. And Dulce talks to THE Sasha Colby.

If the rest of the week happens, Michael J Fox is on Colbert Thursday, which will be sad to watch. I imagine they'll have to seat him off-air before the interview starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kuT6zm5G-c

Kimmel has Dr Phil on Tuesday, another point in the Pros column for going on strike tonight. And in the Cons column, Seth has Charlie Day, Henry Winkler (not covered in bees), and Ellie Kemper.

Finally, if anyone has pro tips on getting TDS schedules, feel free to post them. CC's press site is out of date and not active, their TDS page isn't much better, they have a poo poo Twitter presence, and the ep guide on DirecTV Stream is just generic descriptions. I CAN give you the upcoming guest hosts, preserved here in case everything is canceled:

WEEK OF
5/1 - Dulcé Sloan
5/8 - Michael Kosta
5/15 - Charlamagne Tha God
5/23 - News Team Takeover
6/5 - Michelle Wolf
6/12 - Ronny Chieng
6/20 (starting Tuesday) - Lewis Black
6/26 - Desus Nice

And that's it!

Schedule for the week starting 2023.05.01
Subject and very likely to change

Colbert
Monday - James Marsden, Joy Oladokun, Nicolas Cage Takes the Colbert Questionert
Tuesday - Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Chita Rivera
Wednesday - Chris Hayes, Zach Cherry
Thursday - Michael J. Fox, Shonda Rhimes

Corden
:rip:

Kimmel
Monday - Charlie Day, Padma Lakshmi, Bebe Rexha
Tuesday - Dr. Phil McGraw, Gina Rodriguez, Pixies
Wednesday - Melissa McCarthy, Will Poulter
Thursday - Ricky Gervais, Anthony Carrigan, The Smashing Pumpkins

TDS with Dulcé Sloan
Monday - Sasha Colby
Tuesday - ?? Vashti Harrison
Wednesday - ??? Jason Reynolds
Thursday - Who gently caress knows! Brandon Marshall

Fallon
Monday - Rosie O'Donnell, SUGA
Tuesday - Ken Jeong, Emma Chamberlain, Arlo Parks
Wednesday - Jennifer Lopez, J.J. Watt, Nanna
Thursday - Elle Fanning, Bowen Yang, Ayra Starr
Friday - Rachel Brosnahan, Gaby Moreno feat. Oscar Isaac

Seth
Monday - Chance the Rapper, Parker Posey
Tuesday - Rachel Weisz, Paul Giamatti, Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
Wednesday - Charlie Day, Ellie Kemper, JP Saxe
Thursday - Henry Winkler, James Gunn

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/wgawest/status/1653242408195457025?s=46&t=qNCE2i4Up2451zmxg3K2tw

https://twitter.com/wgawest/status/1653242480106815491?s=46&t=qNCE2i4Up2451zmxg3K2tw

https://twitter.com/wgawest/status/1653242673397112832?s=46&t=qNCE2i4Up2451zmxg3K2tw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't seen TDS in a while, and while I know there's probably a poo poo load of good stuff I've missed, I will absolutely tune in for Michelle Wolf.

That woman is so incredible :allears:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
wait so is the Netflix rumor true?

I wouldn't be so high on the hog if I were these streaming services, they always seem to be one bad a day away from everyone leaving.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

wait so is the Netflix rumor true?

I wouldn't be so high on the hog if I were these streaming services, they always seem to be one bad a day away from everyone leaving.

It is a rumor, I suspect it to be true, paying attention to the order in which WGA West lists the studios—

https://twitter.com/wgawest/status/1653242480106815491?s=46&t=qNCE2i4Up2451zmxg3K2tw

It's not hard to read between the lines. They may not be able to say it (violating negotiation rules?), but the word can leak and if you look at the order...

Netflix, Amazon, Apple

Disney (ABC), Warners Discovery, NBC, Paramount (CBS, Comedy Central), Sony

It isn't hard to imagine that the notoriously-anti-union companies, who have built their streaming platforms around exploiting loopholes in the WGA laws (and have a huge backlog of content both produced and unproduced), would be the ones digging in.

It also stands to reason why the traditional nets seems to be on board, as their positions (despite having diversified into streaming over the past five years, Disney aside) are both more likely to be amenable and desperate to avoid a work stoppage. It's also rather obvious why the former three streamers would see this as an opportunity to put the screws to the latter.

The legacy film studios, Warners and Sony, have the least to lose from the WGA's demands, as they won't have much impact on them.

Or the studios could have just coincidentally been listed in that order.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well if the Netflix rumor is true, everyone else could easily make a deal and leave Netflix out in the cold which would gently caress them worse since it would eliminate their leverage entirely. It is a bad strategy for them to take and incredibly risky.

A big reason why the last strike broke is because production companies were making deals with the guild independently. The studios were losing leverage quickly and bleeding money. I imagine the same will happen this time even more quickly since no one has stockpiled scripts and content. From all accounts no one thought this was actually going to go to strike.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My favourite things to come from the last strike was Conan singing Sabotage as Edith Bunker, and the course correction on Breaking Bad S1. That last one, retroactively, as they've mentioned something like Jesse being killed sooner if it weren't for the shorter season because of the strike.

While I certainly hope they get a good and fair deal, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what effect it'll have on media currently being produced.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lewis-black-on-guest-hosting-the-daily-show-and-his-comedy-legacy

Lewis Black is getting a week in the chair June 20th, depending on the strike

quote:

Well, this certainly feels like the type of thing that you might talk about when you are guest-hosting The Daily Show. Did it take a while to get that ask? I know you weren’t in the first round of people, but now you’re in this next round. What was your reaction to that?

Well, to be honest, when they first started going, “We’re going to have guest hosts,” I literally just said, “I want to be on. Can I sit in that chair once?” I’ve been on the show 27 years.

Longer than anybody else!

“Could I please sit in the chair?” I sent it out immediately, as soon as I knew [Trevor Noah] was leaving. And they started talking about how they were going to have these guest hosts. And was pretty pissed at that.

That you weren’t on that list at the beginning?

That none of us were! None of the correspondents. And I just thought, come on, guys, throw a bone. And it really undermines, too, something that I felt about this show for years, which is, it undermines the importance of the writers on that show. So it’s not just who’s sitting in that seat. It’s the guys and the women in the back who were pumping out all sorts of stuff on a daily basis.

Obviously they started with some big names, and that was probably part of the plan, but now it’s been great seeing the correspondents in there as well—Roy Wood Jr., Jordan Klepper.

Yeah, but I have to say, I was like, come on, every single time you do it out of etiquette. And you’ve got people who’ve been watching the show forever and are attached to the show and know all of the correspondents. I thought Roy did a terrific job, Jordan did a terrific job, they’re all going to be really good. I’m not going to be good, but they’re going to be terrific! [Laughs]

Hey, that’s not true! I just had Samantha Bee on the podcast recently and I was pretty surprised to learn from her that she didn’t get a call to come be one of the guest hosts. Nobody reached out to her.

Which I don’t get. They reached out to Hasan [Minhaj]. And I’m not disparaging having these folks on, I think it’s great. I just think they should have started with us. But I’m thrilled to be able to do it.

Yeah, it’s exciting that you’re going to be able to sit in that main chair for the first time after being on the show for, as you said, nearly three decades. How do you feel like you’re going to approach it?

Well, I wish I knew. I know that the approach is based on the audience. My approach to anything is based on being in front of an audience, and so there’s a comfort level I have there. If I get the laugh, great. If I don’t get the laugh, I know how to get the laugh. I’ve been doing this way too long. And so I’m looking forward to that. The writers know how to write in my voice. People always ask, “Do you write your own stuff for The Daily Show?” And the answer’s “No.”

I remember talking to you about that, that you really don’t even choose the topics for “Back in Black.”

No. They took it from me early on and it was because a couple of producers on the show didn’t feel like I belonged. And they didn’t feel I was funny. They wanted a punchline rather than an attitude. But my part of what has been my bread and butter as a comic is my attitude. The attitude gets the laugh. My initial reaction has always been confrontational when it comes to the workspace. I’m always like, “I’m not going to take this poo poo,” and I would walk away. And then I thought, I can’t walk away, what am I thinking? I’m not gonna walk away from this. You want to write it? Go ahead. What I had to do was take what they were giving me and put it in my own voice. So it was like an acting gig. Now, all of them know my voice, so it’s never a problem. And I love the way they write.

So that attitude makes you feel better about going in as a host?

Yeah, because I have an amazing trust in what they’ll write. I will throw in my two cents here and there. And I’ll have to say, “No, we’re not going to say that I’m old for the 36th time.” But mostly I think it’ll be fun

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

pwn posted:

Finally, if anyone has pro tips on getting TDS schedules, feel free to post them. CC's press site is out of date and not active, their TDS page isn't much better, they have a poo poo Twitter presence, and the ep guide on DirecTV Stream is just generic descriptions.

Some goon posted this a long time ago and it still works (plus RSS feeds :woop:):

https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html#DS

pwn
May 27, 2004

TVGM posted:

Some goon posted this a long time ago and it still works (plus RSS feeds :woop:):

https://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html#DS

:love: thank you so much!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Welp everything is going to be dark for awhile. We should post favorite clips for awhile.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ugh Dulce was so good too. They better let her have the rest of her week after the writers get what they deserve :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

Welp everything is going to be dark for awhile. We should post favorite clips for awhile.

TDS appears to still be happening. Poor Dulce if her shows get canceled. But this could be a chance to shine if she gets to do them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

TDS appears to still be happening.

TDS has already gone dark.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Timby posted:

TDS has already gone dark.

Can you provide a source? I've been monitoring all day but this is the only mention i've found.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-late-night-shows-to-shut-down-immediately-1235352054/

quote:

Late Night with Seth Meyers and The Daily Show, which had correspondent Dulcé Sloan host this week, also will be hit. The Late Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, The Tonight Show and Late Night will officially be in re-runs now, waiting on what Comedy Central will do with The Daily Show.

The last twitter post from TDS, 23 hours ago, which was also about the time of their first post

https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1653217766411993088?s=46&t=AqdTdx_SxQ-UUnQXHehBtQ

I guess if another hour goes by without some update I'm liable to think the show's not happening

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

Can you provide a source? I've been monitoring all day but this is the only mention i've found.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-late-night-shows-to-shut-down-immediately-1235352054/

The last twitter post from TDS, 23 hours ago, which was also about the time of their first post

https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1653217766411993088?s=46&t=AqdTdx_SxQ-UUnQXHehBtQ

I guess if another hour goes by without some update I'm liable to think the show's not happening

Per TVLine, The Daily Show went dark with everyone else.

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

Shuttered late-night talkers were the first symptom of the strike, as NBC’s The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Late Night With Seth Meyers, CBS’ The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show all went dark effective May 2, and plan to air reruns.

:arghfist::( booooo

quote:

Fox News’ Gutfeld!, however, plans to keep on keeping on, seeing as its host and staff are reportedly non-union.

You know what time it is :madmax:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Am I correct in remembering last time World Wide Pants just agreed to all the demands and some how negotiated an early return?

pwn
May 27, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Am I correct in remembering last time World Wide Pants just agreed to all the demands and some how negotiated an early return?

Letterman owned his shows (Late Show and Late Late Show) and negotiated to return with writers on January 2 2008, which I remember as being the point when NBC, ABC and CC all strong-armed their lates to either go back or have their staffs laid off. Hence Conan spinning his ring on his desk for six weeks (not "months"!!)

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1653188776267595783

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP0tlEEw9A

Finally, checking the schedule, tonight's TDS is Kal Penn interviewing Biden from March 13 and tomorrow is Roy Wood Jr's show with Cedric the Entertainer from a couple weeks back.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

algebra testes posted:

Letterman owning both the Late Show and Late Late Show saved CBS’s bacon there. Everyone was forced back a couple of weeks later and it was not good as pwn said.

Even though Conan was incredible at what he did it was pretty rough watching those shows without writers. Ratings were in the toilet for them all. It is one of the things that actually hurt television as a whole but late night especially. Going dark and then forcing them back without writers to make bad television drove off a ton of the audience. You get people out of a routine and then bring back a bad product is a recipe for disaster.

Broadcast television never recovered in the same way after the last strike. Streaming took a bite out but people don’t watch as much television as a whole no mater what the source is as they once did. The younger you get the less they watch. It is going to be very interesting to see the effects of this strike. If late night takes a 15% hit you might seriously start seeing networks considering canceling programing. I am not entirely sure what they can fill the time slots with that could be much cheaper to produce since everyone has things cut as close to the bone as possible already.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Djarum posted:

I am not entirely sure what they can fill the time slots with that could be much cheaper to produce since everyone has things cut as close to the bone as possible already.

I was curious how much late night costs to make. This article puts Cordens show at reportedly $65 million a year. So a bit over 1 million a week, or bit of $200, 000 per 1hr of tv I think (I have no idea how long each of his shows was). Which is like pretty cheap, but you could maybe find cheaper cheaper content with out losing to much of an audience. Maybe?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watching Gutfeld and it is loving dire. Not even his shite audience is laughing at half his "jokes"

I don't mean "not laughing" like a few chuckles. I mean not laughing

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

pwn posted:

Watching Gutfeld and it is loving dire. Not even his shite audience is laughing at half his "jokes"

I don't mean "not laughing" like a few chuckles. I mean not laughing

The shite power hour

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The white power hour

I corrected that for you based on the poster alone, which is what I assume some AI would come up with if you told it to make up a poster for a show hosted by a right-wing chud who makes Tucker Carlson look sexy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dr_rat posted:

I was curious how much late night costs to make. This article puts Cordens show at reportedly $65 million a year. So a bit over 1 million a week, or bit of $200, 000 per 1hr of tv I think (I have no idea how long each of his shows was). Which is like pretty cheap, but you could maybe find cheaper cheaper content with out losing to much of an audience. Maybe?

Well the reason why Late Night and the Morning shows became so important is because they are incredibly cheap to produce and drew massive ratings. At one time something like 70% of NBC’s income came from the Today and Tonight Shows. It is part of what killed Saturday Morning Cartoons as it was cheaper to produce a Saturday morning Today show which made more money from advertisers than cartoons did.

The morning shows across the board have suffered, a symptom of over saturation of the market, lack of personalities hosting and the issues plaguing television at large. They are still doing better than Late Night though. NBC screwed the pooch with the whole Leno/Conan debacle. Fallon has been a disaster. Seth has been steady but there isn’t much growth in his audience. The bad lead in isn’t helping matters. Frankly I think the only reason why they are still on the air is because Lorne has so much power there and SNL is still the 900 pound gorilla at the network. That show costs almost nothing to produce and does very well in the ratings and advertisers. The second Lorne is gone I fear what will happen to it all though.

CBS has Colbert who I think is the most high profile of all the current hosts but something about his show still has never clicked. There is something odd about that show in general. It seems like they aren’t given any budget but is made to look like it is high budget. It will be interesting to see what this new programing after Colbert will be like and how it performs. I could see CBS out of everyone the most likely to end their Late Night show. Without Letterman I am not entirely sure they are that connected to the brand. It felt like they were looking for a replacement for him more because the show and slot was profitable at the time and less they wanted the show to continue. I could see them replacing it with a news panel show or something like that.

Kimmel has just quietly been plugging away at ABC this entire time. He doesn’t make any waves it seems. You rarely hear about him. Hell ABC barely promotes when he has those special shows after events and stuff. It certainly seems like ABC is happy to leave him be since the show does well enough and he is willing to play ball with them for anything they want him to do.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653411437836943362

And if NBC and Fallon wasn’t more of a piece of poo poo.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Djarum posted:

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653411437836943362

And if NBC and Fallon wasn’t more of a piece of poo poo.

Yo, what the gently caress? That is some serious bullshit all around. It's probably hilariously naive, but I feel like it wouldn't have been this heartless back in the GE days. Comcast is such a behemoth that they clearly see the writers as expendable and unnecessary - which, to be fair, for Fallon, they probably are (zing)!

I also wonder if there's a bit more leverage for the networks with their New York shows; as far as I know, there's no solidarity shutdown like Local 399 is doing in LA. For NBC to go scorched earth this quickly feels desperate; where do you even go from here if you've basically fired people in all but name?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkj7heLZAsc

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SamBishop posted:

Yo, what the gently caress? That is some serious bullshit all around. It's probably hilariously naive, but I feel like it wouldn't have been this heartless back in the GE days. Comcast is such a behemoth that they clearly see the writers as expendable and unnecessary - which, to be fair, for Fallon, they probably are (zing)!

I also wonder if there's a bit more leverage for the networks with their New York shows; as far as I know, there's no solidarity shutdown like Local 399 is doing in LA. For NBC to go scorched earth this quickly feels desperate; where do you even go from here if you've basically fired people in all but name?

Well I don’t think it is a secret that NBC isn’t happy with Fallon. They were actively looking for a replacement before he was re-signed, reportedly Lorne directly got involved to make that happen. Which NBC isn’t happy with Lorne controlling all of their Late Night programing and would love to get control of the Tonight Show back again.

I don’t have any inside info but my gut tells me that NBC is going to use this as an excuse to get rid of Fallon. They can bring production back to Burbank which would be MUCH cheaper for them and have a better selection of stars to put on it. Make a big splash about the new host and revamped Tonight Show, build up to the premiere as an event. It makes a little too much sense, especially looking at how they haven’t been selling much as time for Fallon already. They spend the next several weeks finding a new host, when the writers come back they announce that Fallon is being replaced. They run reruns all summer and do promotion for the new host and premiere in the Fall.

Using the strike it indirectly lay people off is a lovely move but who knows how much longer they would have been employed if it didn’t happen. It isn’t an excuse though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a prolonged strike kills the Daily show.

Also, do we have a thread somewhere about the WGA Strike? I'd create one but I'm not witty enough :(

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, do we have a thread somewhere about the WGA Strike? I'd create one but I'm not witty enough :(

WGA: this time for Africa?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Narcissus1916 posted:

Naw. The Daily Show costs next to nothing to produce and outside of South Park is the only thing that gets any ratings for them. They basically prop the entire channel up. They can’t replace it with anything cheaper that will come close so it will live basically forever.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The strike getting Fallon fired would be excellent, he sucks so bad even in the pandemic I was like “yeah this dude isn’t watchable.” I’m sorry for his staff but not for him. Glad he’s at least paying them…

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is he? I didn't hear that from Jimmy, only Seth.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Yeah the Fallon production worker updated & stated Fallon will start paying after NBC stops in a few weeks.

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653771741540253701?s=20

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yeah the Fallon production worker updated & stated Fallon will start paying after NBC stops in a few weeks.

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653771741540253701?s=20

Sounds like someone in his camp gave him a wake up call.

I was talking to a friend in the industry earlier and we both think it is a 50/50 chance if Fallon makes it to the Fall.

The question becomes, who would you replace him with? It can’t be anyone connected to Lorne, but someone he would be fine with. I am not sure if they would go with an unknown name in this age, even though that would be the best choice. Someone young enough to have the gig for a long time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Colin Jost, you're the next white guy up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GreenNight posted:

Colin Jost, you're the next white guy up.

Jost would be loving awful at late night. Fallon is awful and obnoxious but he developed a lane for himself and that lane fit pretty well into the late night mold (sycophantic, lots of goofy games). Colin Jost is just Seth Meyers if someone spilled an entire carton of Frat Douche into the mold when they were making him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, and if memory serves, it took Seth a while to find his niche. Unless I'm just thinking of someone else, he tried to do a fairly standard late night talk show for a while, but he didn't hit his stride until they reworked the show to have a lot of content that're basically extended nightly Weekend Update segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Seth’s show is by far my favorite but I think it is the right move to have a sillier, looser person as his lead-in, so not Jost. If NBC had any backbone they’d find a woman who could swing it. I can’t think of someone off the top of my head other than recent DS guest hosts, but someone like Leslie Jones would be real cool honestly