Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jay Rust posted:

i have NEVER taken time off for a new release, like i get it but also, come on.

youve only lived half a life :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

take time off because you loving feel like it, and maybe there'll be a cool new release in that time as a nice bonus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sally posted:

youve only lived half a life :pray:

But with Full Life Consequences

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For every day off you take I'm going to work three

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Why I just took the day off today. It’s a sick day so idk if thag counts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why did you decide to be sick tho

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hwurmp posted:

take time off because you loving feel like it, and maybe there'll be a cool new release in that time as a nice bonus

I couldn't get Tears of the Kingdom's release week off so I have the week after off.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqv9zdzb-D8

this had to have been some kind of "get it out in Q2 so it won't sour the Q3 starfield earnings" situation, right

Holy poo poo this is embarrassingly terrible.

Ope, just gonna casually break my leg in 2 while I cave your head in

Like I feel bad for the rank and file devs, because noone goes out to make a bad game, but this is loving atrocious.
Looks like some random B level poo poo you find on steam

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

yeah I feel bad about it but they really made a 4-player horror-themed shooter where the enemies are dumber than zombies but there are also fewer of them

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Why did you decide to be sick tho

I’m getting flashbacks to working at some lovely office

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah I feel bad about it but they really made a 4-player horror-themed shooter where the enemies are dumber than zombies but there are also fewer of them

The children yearn for the minesLeft 4 Dead style swarm mechanics with Vampires

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really do think I should just play RE4 especially after watching that video this morning that compared it to John Wick

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Holy poo poo this is embarrassingly terrible.

Ope, just gonna casually break my leg in 2 while I cave your head in

Like I feel bad for the rank and file devs, because noone goes out to make a bad game, but this is loving atrocious.
Looks like some random B level poo poo you find on steam

it's likely a combination of managerial incompetence and trying to get a team unfamiliar with both UE4 and cooperative multiplayer to create an UE4-driven cooperative multiplayer title. it's hard to think of a better way to set yourself up for failure

there's an outline of a fun game there, but everything still feels so much like an early beta test that i seriously cannot see it ever approaching a state beyond "functional", especially since it's neither a big name IP nor some massively hyped launch like CP2077 that would demand the support. it's always such a goddamn shame seeing so much human effort being flushed down the drain

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you want to give the game the benefit of the doubt, that could be an external fov edit beyond what the game permits.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

just watched return of the jedi in the theater. holy poo poo. people in 1983 must have been floored. I've seen this film 20 times but on the big screen its something else

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really do think I should just play RE4 especially after watching that video this morning that compared it to John Wick

it owns. I've been on a re game replay after playing 4 and they still own

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VostokProgram posted:

just watched return of the jedi in the theater. holy poo poo. people in 1983 must have been floored. I've seen this film 20 times but on the big screen its something else

Original cut or Special Edition? :shobon:

I really appreciate some of the improvements the special cut made in terms of cleaning up some graphical stuff, I just wish they hadn't stuffed every other frame with a Jawa going,"WOOTINI!" and giant lizard monsters going,"RAHHWWHHHGGG!?!?!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VostokProgram posted:

The model composite shots for the big space battle (and especially the assault run) in that film are probably as sophisticated as that particular sfx technique ever got and imo they make contemporary CGI look toothless by comparison. Must've been extremely painstaking work.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 3, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Original cut or Special Edition? :shobon:

I really appreciate some of the improvements the special cut made in terms of cleaning up some graphical stuff, I just wish they hadn't stuffed every other frame with a Jawa going,"WOOTINI!" and giant lizard monsters going,"RAHHWWHHHGGG!?!?!"

its the most recent disney version i think. i noticed all the special edition stuff + vader yelling no

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Why I just took the day off today. It’s a sick day so idk if thag counts.

Sick days count double

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

it apparently made gangbusters money for a loving 1983 rerelease, too, so i'd expect them to follow along with the others at some point

my stupid time travel wish has always been to go back in time to either a release night screening of the empire strikes back or alien just to see an audience explode in a way that i think is hard to really get in a media-saturated world

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vermain posted:

it apparently made gangbusters money for a loving 1983 rerelease, too, so i'd expect them to follow along with the others at some point

my stupid time travel wish has always been to go back in time to either a release night screening of the empire strikes back or alien just to see an audience explode in a way that i think is hard to really get in a media-saturated world

The closest I think I've ever managed was Fury Road on release night. Incredible energy, people were just losing their minds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still thankful I got to see Fellowship and The Two Towers on opening night in a packed theater, incredible excitement and buzz in the air and then the movie absolutely delivered on its promise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I saw Two Towers the day it came out with my entire school year cause it was the last day of school and we finished at lunch. One of my best cinema moments ever, what a movie.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

One of the things that is so strange about Redfall is that you get a gorgeous and atmospheric scene with tons of well done RTX stuff one minute and then 30 secs later you are talking to a major character that looks like it's from a Xbox 360 game.
The whole game is just odd, it's so cheap and expensive looking at the same time and i don't really "get" the gameplay loop. Like what is supposed to be the draw here?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Still thankful I got to see Fellowship and The Two Towers on opening night in a packed theater, incredible excitement and buzz in the air and then the movie absolutely delivered on its promise.

i saw two towers release night and it was loving magical, the one and only midnight release i've ever been to. had real tears in my eyes at the last march of the ents

only other two films i can remember really, truly wowing me was an imax avatar trip, and, of all things, a limited release theater run of rebuild of eva 3.33 with the original dub. probably one of the strangest moviegoing experiences i've ever had, being deeply moved by the gorgeous painterly quality of the work on display while me, a grown rear end man, was sat next to like 4 teens cosplaying the main cast

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vermain posted:

i saw two towers release night and it was loving magical, the one and only midnight release i've ever been to. had real tears in my eyes at the last march of the ents

"Theoden King stands alone."
"Not alone."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When I saw Two Towers a friend's dad drove us in an old beetle that was nearly blown off the road like 5 separate times. I feared for my life on that trip.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

When I saw Two Towers a friend's dad drove us in an old beetle that was nearly blown off the road like 5 separate times. I feared for my life on that trip.

now imagine what frodo and sam went through

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:hmmyes:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've seen A New Hope in IMAX which was pretty wild.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The closest I think I've ever managed was Fury Road on release night. Incredible energy, people were just losing their minds.

Fury Road is the only movie i've seen in theaters more than twice

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also it took 25 hours but i finally got the ability to get rid of these STUPID rear end rocks on my farm in harvestella.

you can't fool me, this is just Irithyll of the Boreal Valley! (it basically was)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah hmm that is literally the Anor Londo cathedral

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Where is the Redfall thread plz?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Showgunners review

Take XCom style game play. Add the Running Man kill or be killed dystopia, and shake vigorously.. and..

Add in a couple of plot twists including the death of one of your teammates in a way you can't stop, that isn't really signposted, and a bit of Death Race 2000 (the David Carradine original) reason your character is in this lethal game show

It's not going to have a TON of replay value, unless I want to try different builds, go for 100% in finding optional battle areas/loot crates/autographs to sign, but it's definitely worth $30.

I've run into a variety of enemies so far (all dolled up appropriately) in the in-universe game show "Homicidal All-Stars" (which this game used to be named)

SCUM: The base unit type. Give a death row convict a gun, and tell them if they kill the "challenger" they get their sentence commuted. Not quite mooks, but mid game, you'll be one-shotting them.
RONIN: Give SCUM a katana, and a tendency to unsheath it and look menacing (before you fill them with lead)
MUERTA: Her hits can poison you, or heal other Scum. Annoying
DRONE MONK: Summons Attack Drones. The Attack Drones can do some serious damage, but the Drone Monks themselves can die in two-three hits, and when they die the drones go with them. Focus Fire, but not super dangerous.
OGRE: Give a SCUM a perfectly balanced amount of steroids and battle drugs. They hit hard, and can regenerate. Don't let them get close.

Your "Challengers"/Heroes, with a bit of spoiler information:

Scarlett: The Main Character. she's in this to get at the game's champion defender, Ulysses, who prior to his capture killed Scarlett's family. She quit being a cop, and changed identities to become a bounty hunter, then join Homicidal All-Stars to get a crack at Ulysess, AND the producer behind the game show)

Marty: A returning former champion. A former Homicidal All-Stars (HAS) champion, who came back on the show after bad investments meant that his prize money was all gone. You will rely on him, but he gets murked by Ulysses a couple missions in. Don't buy weapons for him, or do so because he's good, but know that you're going to have to sell them when he dies

Tybalt: A former hacker trying to commute his sentence in HAS. Able to use holographics to change his appearance and that of others. One of his abilities swaps visages with an enemy, meaning the enemy will treat Tybalt as a friendly, and the enemy he swapped visages with as someone to be shot. He's in HAS because he was a CI for the cops, who embezzled funds to pay him, and framed him when the fiddling was discovered. Only sentenced to two years in jail, but since it was known he was a CI for the cops, he volunteered for HAS rather than get shivved in prison

Warden: A Mech that you can "win" the use of during the show. It's almost a given at some point the Warden will be turned on you, although it hasn't happened yet

Most of the game is set in two modes, Exploration (where you search for additional loot, deal with traps, puzzles and the like) and combat. Great set-piece battles (for example, you fight in an old train station. During the battle, trains will rush through the tracks, killing anyone on them. Thankfully, you get a one turn warning, the baddies don't (or don't care))

The game is crying out for Create-a-Challenger and Create-a-Episode modes where you build areas and combat. It does have Twitch Mode, where streamers can play the game, and their chat can help or hinder them. Made for streaming.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Where is the Redfall thread plz?

Isn't one. You can make one if you want. It's a free forum.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Isn't one. You can make one if you want. It's a free forum.
Ok. I will

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Another QCS success story!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~