Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Any reason the tank on the right won't transfer steam to the tank on the left? I have steam pumps on both and the pumps are setup exactly like my test world where it works.

Pump of the one I want to send out steam

pump of the one i want to receive steam

Ideally though I'd like to have the one on the right that is getting steam pumped in from HP solar boilers to pump excess steam into the one on the left and when the one on the right needs more then the boilers can put out it pulls from the one on the left. Not sure how to set it up to do that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I thought that railcraft tanks only output on the bottom. They also auto-output from the bottom so you shouldn't even need the pump in that case. This is partially why I built all of mine on stilts, in case I needed to move fluids into the same room without going underground with the piping.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Any reason the tank on the right won't transfer steam to the tank on the left? I have steam pumps on both and the pumps are setup exactly like my test world where it works.

Pump of the one I want to send out steam

pump of the one i want to receive steam

You don't need a pump cover on the receiving tank. Also, the second cover is set to "import," which means it is trying to withdraw from the second tank constantly. This will likely fill up the pipe section it sits on.

If you want to measure the contents of the tank, use vanilla comparators reading a valve on the tank. Use machine controller covers on the same pipe as the pump cover to allow redstone sensitivity (power the machine controller to toggle the pump on and off.)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

I thought that railcraft tanks only output on the bottom. They also auto-output from the bottom so you shouldn't even need the pump in that case. This is partially why I built all of mine on stilts, in case I needed to move fluids into the same room without going underground with the piping.

You can export from the sides, but it's weird. I have one pipe each connecting my creosote and water tanks to my RC boiler with the pumps set to import, since they're technically importing into the pipe and going to the boiler, and that works.

At the same time, I tried the exact same, working setup (one pump, one pipe, set to import) to pump water into my brewery and it absolutely would not work until I connected the brewery to a water pipe I already had built from underneath the water tank. All of these pipes were connecting to the tank on the same Y level, but the brewery did get water until hooked to a pipe from underneath the tank.

I made plastic last night! :toot: then I started putting together my list for making the Pyrolyse oven parts and started looking at an MV power hatch, and I thought plastic was bad. Silicon wafers are required and super resource intensive on stuff i havent mined yet. I'm wondering if I can overclock 2 LV power hatches instead of using 1 MV hatch and get by with 2 LV turbines. Theoretically it should work since Wood Tar only takes 64EU/t, so i might not even really need battery buffers, just two gas turbines hooked straight to Benzene production and faced directly to 2 LV power input hatches.

Water production is also finally reaching its limit, 5 railcraft water siding tanks in 60% humidity cannot keep pace with an LV crop manager that is farming 2 layers in an 11x3x11 pattern :v:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Unfortunately I don't think the gt++ multiblocks allow tier skipping with energy hatches the same way the blast furnace does. it may seem unfair now, but later on energy hatches become a major roadblock for recipe tiers, and given pretty much all your machines can be the gt++ mbs, it would trivialize too many things

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

bawk posted:

You can export from the sides, but it's weird. I have one pipe each connecting my creosote and water tanks to my RC boiler with the pumps set to import, since they're technically importing into the pipe and going to the boiler, and that works.

At the same time, I tried the exact same, working setup (one pump, one pipe, set to import) to pump water into my brewery and it absolutely would not work until I connected the brewery to a water pipe I already had built from underneath the water tank. All of these pipes were connecting to the tank on the same Y level, but the brewery did get water until hooked to a pipe from underneath the tank.

I made plastic last night! :toot: then I started putting together my list for making the Pyrolyse oven parts and started looking at an MV power hatch, and I thought plastic was bad. Silicon wafers are required and super resource intensive on stuff i havent mined yet. I'm wondering if I can overclock 2 LV power hatches instead of using 1 MV hatch and get by with 2 LV turbines. Theoretically it should work since Wood Tar only takes 64EU/t, so i might not even really need battery buffers, just two gas turbines hooked straight to Benzene production and faced directly to 2 LV power input hatches.

Water production is also finally reaching its limit, 5 railcraft water siding tanks in 60% humidity cannot keep pace with an LV crop manager that is farming 2 layers in an 11x3x11 pattern :v:

So silicon wafers aren't as bad as they look! The solar grade silicon is actually a closed loop that only requires 3 lv machines. Raw silicon + chlorine, then add sodium and you get the SISG and salt, which you electrolyze and get back all the sodium and chlorine. The gallium is still scarce at MV but one crystal makes 4 boules.

Most regular GT multiblocks cam double up on energy hatches, idk about GT++. I know my vacuum freezer is HV off 2 MV hatches. You're gonna want those MV hatches anyway, and the sooner the better. It's worth rushing a little stainless steel for reservoirs and medium backpacks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hooplah posted:

Unfortunately I don't think the gt++ multiblocks allow tier skipping with energy hatches the same way the blast furnace does. it may seem unfair now, but later on energy hatches become a major roadblock for recipe tiers, and given pretty much all your machines can be the gt++ mbs, it would trivialize too many things
They absolutely do, and the updated quest book talks about this and has new/different quests incorporating it. In particular, using IV hatches to create LuV items is pretty expected for stuff like osmiridium and assembling machines and circuits and mixers when you hit EV/IV it's very much worth it to start creating multiblock structures and just upgrade the hatches for stuff like mixers rather then having to create the next tier machine for the new recipes.

The biggest counter issue is that hatches are the hardest thing to create for the tier similar to the way assembling machines are and require multiple additional steps and often the full infra of that tier so you can sometimes only create that hatch at the tail end of the tier when you have the capability of jumping to the next one.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 2, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bhodi posted:

They absolutely do, and the updated quest book talks about this and has new/different quests incorporating it. In particular, using IV hatches to create LuV items is pretty expected for stuff like osmiridium and assembling machines and circuits and mixers when you hit EV/IV it's very much worth it to start creating multiblock structures and just upgrade the hatches for stuff like mixers rather then having to create the next tier machine for the new recipes.

The biggest counter issue is that hatches are the hardest thing to create for the tier similar to the way assembling machines are and require multiple additional steps and often the full infra of that tier so you can sometimes only create that hatch at the tail end of the tier when you have the capability of jumping to the next one.

what the gently caress?? well okay drat. thanks for the update

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Really enjoying Vault Hunters update 9. Being able to go all smashy smashy on chests without a buncha bullshit is awesome, the new Vault Enchanter is great, the more customizable difficulty is good. Finally set up my pouches to filter, which makes life SO much better. Just have to decide if I want to slap on Infinity mode or not.

Also you get to dress up like this:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So silicon wafers aren't as bad as they look! The solar grade silicon is actually a closed loop that only requires 3 lv machines. Raw silicon + chlorine, then add sodium and you get the SISG and salt, which you electrolyze and get back all the sodium and chlorine. The gallium is still scarce at MV but one crystal makes 4 boules.

Most regular GT multiblocks cam double up on energy hatches, idk about GT++. I know my vacuum freezer is HV off 2 MV hatches. You're gonna want those MV hatches anyway, and the sooner the better. It's worth rushing a little stainless steel for reservoirs and medium backpacks!

That was the path I was following down, of all the options it looked like chlorine/sodium/silicon is the easiest and most available. I have the road map laid out but much like when I was figuring out plastic the other night, I was trying to crawl down that particular rabbit hole in NEI while I have a hard-out time for GTNH stuff at least an hour before bed. Otherwise my dreams are just staring at NEI :v:

Frantically taking notes on how to approach tomorrow's recipe while the clock is ticking down brings me back to trying to writing papers in college while I know I've gotta be up for an early class the next day. Just writing down a mess of shorthand and improvised flowcharts and hoping I remember what half the poo poo means tomorrow. It's part of why I posted charcoal math earlier, I needed to type it up in a way that I could reread it later that makes sense and if I was already that deep in I might as well post it in case somebody else finds it useful later.

Bhodi posted:

This is part of what I'm dealing with making the MV crop harvester, but bonsais seem to be resilient enough that a second layer of dirt on top of the first one with some holes poked in here and there for sunlight to reach the bottom layer of crops seems to work. Everything is harvesting, it just uses a lot more water than originally planned. Nothing that some extra sidinf tanks or a sterling water pump can't help offset though

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 2, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

What the hell, why? Why would a simple energy acceptor be super expensive?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Energy being the limiting part of each tier, when you can afford to make an MV Energy Hatch to input MV voltage into a multiblock, you can make 2 of them and overclock it to the next tier. There's other limiting factors that I think already do the job of gating progression, like coil block types limiting temperature or recipe speed, but it does prevent you from just cranking out HV power at the very beginning of MV when there are other branching paths the questbook wants you to explore first. There's the entire MV electrolysis recipe tab that drastically changes how I'm going to be processing certain materials and lots of fluids I'm going to need to start storing here soon, and making the MV energy hatch gated behind it forces you to learn and interact with those steps before attempting to move on to HV recipes

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Vib Rib posted:

You misunderstand, the Energy Hatch we're talking about is a component in the various multiblock machines you can build, not a simple energy receiver that powers standalone single block machines. These hatches gate progression into the next tier of recipes and components by requiring that you've engaged with the various quests and pieces of the tier you're in to make the components required for crafting them, which isn't as bad as it sounds because the quest book is pretty good about teaching you each aspect of the tier and giving you the time to figure out how you want to set up whatever processes are needed. Once you have the hatches built, you can then upgrade your big machines, usually the Electric Blast Furnace to let it draw more energy for recipes. From there you can probably smelt the materials needed to upgrade the heating coils on the EBF to make it capable of smelting items with higher temperature requirements, and then you can start going to the next tier of stuff and doing it all again with whatever new stuff unlocks.

Simple generators and cabling have relatively easy recipes to deal with by comparison.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FPzero posted:

You misunderstand, the Energy Hatch we're talking about is a component in the various multiblock machines you can build, not a simple energy receiver that powers standalone single block machines. These hatches gate progression into the next tier of recipes and components by requiring that you've engaged with the various quests and pieces of the tier you're in to make the components required for crafting them, which isn't as bad as it sounds because the quest book is pretty good about teaching you each aspect of the tier and giving you the time to figure out how you want to set up whatever processes are needed. Once you have the hatches built, you can then upgrade your big machines, usually the Electric Blast Furnace to let it draw more energy for recipes. From there you can probably smelt the materials needed to upgrade the heating coils on the EBF to make it capable of smelting items with higher temperature requirements, and then you can start going to the next tier of stuff and doing it all again with whatever new stuff unlocks.

Simple generators and cabling have relatively easy recipes to deal with by comparison.
No, I understand, Nomifactory has energy input hatches for multiblocks too, but they're pretty simple to make. Mostly big machines are gated by other materials than the hatches. It just seems such a strange decision to make something like that be super complex. I guess it's all for the sake of balance, since these modpacks aren't exactly playing at any semblance of "realism" (and thank god, too), I was just kinda dumbstruck at the idea after having to make them so frequently in another modpack for cheap.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

No, I understand, Nomifactory has energy input hatches for multiblocks too, but they're pretty simple to make. Mostly big machines are gated by other materials than the hatches. It just seems such a strange decision to make something like that be super complex. I guess it's all for the sake of balance, since these modpacks aren't exactly playing at any semblance of "realism" (and thank god, too), I was just kinda dumbstruck at the idea after having to make them so frequently in another modpack for cheap.

it makes sense in the context of the modpack

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hooplah posted:

it makes sense in the context of the modpack
Right, I agree. When tiering up to the next power level is the biggest roadblock, the machines that let you do that are going to be expensive. Just didn't get it at first.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Right, I agree. When tiering up to the next power level is the biggest roadblock, the machines that let you do that are going to be expensive. Just didn't get it at first.

It's also a little mini-exam on that tier's questbook. For the LV energy hatch, for instance, you need an LV circuit, 2 tin cables, a pump, 2 cells of lubricant, an LV machine hull, and 2 LV Coils. These LV coils can only be made by combining a magnetic iron rod with 16 fine steel wire in an Assembler, and takes 30 EU/t out of the max possible output of 32EU/t.

In order to make it, you will need to understand making circuits, motors (to make the pump), and have access to oil of some kind, whether that's Creosote Oil from coke ovens, Oil found in naturally occurring springs, or Fish/Seed oil from farms. You'll need to have built a Primitive Blast Furnace to make the steel required for the empty fuel cells, as well as the fine steel wire. You will also need to have made 2 conveyors and 2 robot arms to make the Assembler in the first place. The rubber and quartz required to make the conveyors and robot arms mean you must visited and mined 2 specific (but common) veins in the Nether. To cap it all off, the 30EU/t requirement will require you to understand (to some capacity) the loss per meter per ampere rating on cables. If your assembler is too far away from your steam or gas turbine, it won't have enough power to make the coils in the first place.

If you've understood and learned all of it during that tier, it's not too difficult to make at all, but if you try to rush it early without taking the time to learn the recipes in the questbook it will be a bad time. Once you've got it built, you pretty immediately get access to automated Steel production, Aluminium, and tons of other useful items that immediately improve the rest of your LV setup. The MV energy hatch, then, is making drat sure you have an Electrolyzer and understand how to make Silicon Wafers before you get the opportunity to start dipping into HV recipes early.

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

It's also a little mini-exam on that tier's questbook. For the LV energy hatch, for instance, you need an LV circuit, 2 tin cables, a pump, 2 cells of lubricant, an LV machine hull, and 2 LV Coils. These LV coils can only be made by combining a magnetic iron rod with 16 fine steel wire in an Assembler, and takes 30 EU/t out of the max possible output of 32EU/t.

In order to make it, you will need to understand making circuits, motors (to make the pump), and have access to oil of some kind, whether that's Creosote Oil from coke ovens, Oil found in naturally occurring springs, or Fish/Seed oil from farms. You'll need to have built a Primitive Blast Furnace to make the steel required for the empty fuel cells, as well as the fine steel wire. You will also need to have made 2 conveyors and 2 robot arms to make the Assembler in the first place. The rubber and quartz required to make the conveyors and robot arms mean you must visited and mined 2 specific (but common) veins in the Nether. To cap it all off, the 30EU/t requirement will require you to understand (to some capacity) the loss per meter per ampere rating on cables. If your assembler is too far away from your steam or gas turbine, it won't have enough power to make the coils in the first place.

If you've understood and learned all of it during that tier, it's not too difficult to make at all, but if you try to rush it early without taking the time to learn the recipes in the questbook it will be a bad time. Once you've got it built, you pretty immediately get access to automated Steel production, Aluminium, and tons of other useful items that immediately improve the rest of your LV setup. The MV energy hatch, then, is making drat sure you have an Electrolyzer and understand how to make Silicon Wafers before you get the opportunity to start dipping into HV recipes early.

Now how do I learn how to setup my machines so I'm not having to swap them around constantly when I need to run two recipes that take 30eu and I happen to have them on the same generator? Trying to think of the best way to power generator to machine and not have it look like a horrible mess.

Here is an idea I am toying with

Basically, a back-to-back in groups of 6 (ignore anything farther pipe wise then the generators and machines)

The above setup would allow me to move these machines that are coming forward back flush with the others and then take advantage of using the otherside of this wall. Also right above this picture is my 10m mb steam steel RC tank being fed by a 2m mb steam tank that has 12 hp solar boilers going into it. I could then put my EBF behind these in that new room as well and probably off to the left behind the steam grinder.

The only issue I see with doing it all this way is getting confused if I run too many 30 EU things at once and figuring out what to shut off. Also I am not sure how to line these up if I wanted to incorporate this design into an automated system if this setup is even good. (the distilleries were just what I threw down in the test world for easy 30 eu power consumption)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Generally speaking if there's a 30EU/t recipe, it will need its own turbine in LV. That being said, you don't need to often have a 30EU/t recipe automating into a 30EU/t recipe, I don't think I've done one yet. Maybe the electrolyzer, it may have a few high EU/t recipes that you could want to do in bulk. For general ore processing, you're probably looking at ULV recipes, even when going to the Bending Machine, Wiremill, etc. that you'll need for automating stuff. Most other, higher energy recipes are a "use as you need them" sort of thing. Making tin rotors takes 24EU/t in an LV extruder, but you'll probably make a batch of them and call that good for a while.

I like your first assembly line example with the pipe on top, going down to turbines, feeding into a bigass high amp cable. It's a bit overkill unless every machine was running something energy-intensive in parallel, but you could put a sodium battery in each LV machine and run a lot of small recipes at the same time with fewer turbines. Three would guaranteed cover everything except for an intense assembler autocraft being fed fluid by a beefy distillery or electrolyzer recipe

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Sorry to not Gregtech post, but:

if you're using Storage Drawers, is there a good way to handle excess for a drawer that isn't just voiding it? The best idea I've come up with so far is using a Create funnel to accept stuff, and thinking about how to get a mechanical arm to only trigger if something has sat on the belt for X seconds.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

death cob for cutie posted:

Sorry to not Gregtech post, but:

if you're using Storage Drawers, is there a good way to handle excess for a drawer that isn't just voiding it? The best idea I've come up with so far is using a Create funnel to accept stuff, and thinking about how to get a mechanical arm to only trigger if something has sat on the belt for X seconds.

Redstone upgrade, and [Do A Thing] to move stuff out of the drawer if it's full (noting that redstone upgrade emits different power levels based on fullness)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

Generally speaking if there's a 30EU/t recipe, it will need its own turbine in LV. That being said, you don't need to often have a 30EU/t recipe automating into a 30EU/t recipe, I don't think I've done one yet. Maybe the electrolyzer, it may have a few high EU/t recipes that you could want to do in bulk. For general ore processing, you're probably looking at ULV recipes, even when going to the Bending Machine, Wiremill, etc. that you'll need for automating stuff. Most other, higher energy recipes are a "use as you need them" sort of thing. Making tin rotors takes 24EU/t in an LV extruder, but you'll probably make a batch of them and call that good for a while.

I like your first assembly line example with the pipe on top, going down to turbines, feeding into a bigass high amp cable. It's a bit overkill unless every machine was running something energy-intensive in parallel, but you could put a sodium battery in each LV machine and run a lot of small recipes at the same time with fewer turbines. Three would guaranteed cover everything except for an intense assembler autocraft being fed fluid by a beefy distillery or electrolyzer recipe

how about three turbines with 6 machines along with sodium batteries in each lv machine?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I couldn’t find redstone to save my life so in a fit of anger decided I would just make my own drat redstone and now I have bees that make redstone. Get owned, game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I couldn’t find redstone to save my life so in a fit of anger decided I would just make my own drat redstone and now I have bees that make redstone. Get owned, game.

Bees are lowkey brokenly strong but are just so awful to setup that they stick around as, I guess, a reward for masochism.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it the bee mod with bumble zone? I love those little guys. :kimchi: they can't stay out of the void in a skyblock to save their own lives, but dammit if they don't make resource production more interesting than mystical agriculture in a hopping bonsai

Holyshoot posted:

how about three turbines with 6 machines along with sodium batteries in each lv machine?

That is more than generous for power production, especially since sodium is fairly easy to put together for batteries. It will probably handle any emergencies or overdraw in case you run too many at the same time.

You can't explode a machine by underpowering it, so you could start by just making a few turbines, hooking them up, checking your steam storage to make sure it's not dwindling too much and add more turbines when needed. If you can tell another recipe is going to drain a bunch of power, you can add on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s productive bees. I set up a little glass garden for a beehive and started with 5 regular bees which I used to make honey treats to lure other bees. I’m thinking of just going all in on this thing and set up a couple more beehive farms and keep collecting/breeding more of them. At the very least getting some iron/gold/diamond bees will be very nice for upgrading storage and gear plus it’ll give me time to figure out what I want to mess with next.

Also the main reason I needed redstone was to actually progress the power progression so now I have a wind generator and a couple of machines so I feel like I’m getting places!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just hit HV and I think I need a break because there's a lot of options on the table and I'm definitely not automated enough yet. I have automated diesel generation at least but I need to go find more regular Oil before continuing, or use some of my tons of Heavy Oil to produce Light Fuel at a worse efficiency while I look for it.

There are so many other little things I know I'll need to set up better automation for, like ethylene, polyethylene, wood, solar grade silicon, and more. A number of these aren't too hard to automate, it's just that I haven't felt like making the duplicate chem reactors and distilleries and other machines to get them going. Plus, I probably need to build additional work areas soon because my main factory floor is getting very full, and my EBF, fluid storage, and diesel generation building is mostly full too. I've just been lazy about dedicating the time and energy to going through all these tasks. Ah well, stuff to work on another day. Cracking open a new tier is as good a time as any to take a break.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

Just hit HV and I think I need a break because there's a lot of options on the table and I'm definitely not automated enough yet. I have automated diesel generation at least but I need to go find more regular Oil before continuing, or use some of my tons of Heavy Oil to produce Light Fuel at a worse efficiency while I look for it.

There are so many other little things I know I'll need to set up better automation for, like ethylene, polyethylene, wood, solar grade silicon, and more. A number of these aren't too hard to automate, it's just that I haven't felt like making the duplicate chem reactors and distilleries and other machines to get them going. Plus, I probably need to build additional work areas soon because my main factory floor is getting very full, and my EBF, fluid storage, and diesel generation building is mostly full too. I've just been lazy about dedicating the time and energy to going through all these tasks. Ah well, stuff to work on another day. Cracking open a new tier is as good a time as any to take a break.

Things only get more and more daunting as you progress, and it's VERY easy to pick out a goal that is way too far ahead and thus feel immediately overwhelmed. I made the NASA workbench and then realized that I absolutely don't have the infrastructure to make a reasonable amount of TNT. So I set up a field of bonsais, started putting together materials for a pyrolyze oven, and made another batch of stainless steel. Whipped up enough PTFE for a couple Large Chemical Reactors, but realized I'm basically out of circuits. Gonna make a stack of LVs for super tanks, some MVs for the pyrolyze, maybe a half a stack of HVs because I'm still upgrading, and a few EVs for a Distillation Tower. Still deciding if I want to dedicate some time to an automated Salis Mundis duplication so I can make more nether stars and make some Magic Energy Absorbers. That's more of a "try a new thing for fun" than a "this will help my progression" thing but GTNH is so insanely vast in both breadth and depth and it's important to do projects that you find fun and interesting and try new setups even if they're not perfectly optimal.

If making duplicate machines feels challenging, then you need resource gathering/production boost! Get power to the EBF sorted so it can run with 100% uptime, and get enough oxygen from whatever sources that you can just huck stacks of iron in there for steel. I FINALLY built an LV forge hammer and put it next to my Simple Washer II so I can quickly break down anything that doesn't have a worthwhile byproduct in bulk instead of a stack at a time. Build at least one HV miner and compressed chest so you can just scoop up entire ore veins. Batch craft all those machine parts because eventually you'll use every motor, piston, pump, and conveyor you craft and wonder why you didn't make a second stack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

one more fun point in oil's favor -- toluene is a byproduct of cetane-boosted diesel production :smugdog:

(or you could just knock down an oilsands vein for its heavy oil ore, that works too)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mixing and matching fuel types is good, too :shrug: I was personally a big fan of running a pair of max size HP boilers with charcoal and creosote to keep the main production facility running while using oil for everything else.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I am quite enjoying how some of my bar pile will yoyo based on how I progress without me needing to go out and mine again. My iron has dipped to 500 and rose back to 1k+ a couple times now because I'll get a new machine that breaks down some ore I mined a long time ago into iron. I am a big fan of the mixer even if its a waste of time at LV.

I don't know what half this poo poo is used for until I look at it but I centrifuge it until I can centrifuge no more. It was also cool seeing some byproducts from other stuff I've been doing for a while finally get a use. Like ash. Now back to converting all my creo to lubricant because I don't want to gently caress with boilers and the distiller sound is calming.

Also got my EBF controller made and have the mats to build it. Just need to get power for it setup properly and build out the base a little. And I wanted to do the basic circuit assembler quest first.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

I am quite enjoying how some of my bar pile will yoyo based on how I progress without me needing to go out and mine again. My iron has dipped to 500 and rose back to 1k+ a couple times now because I'll get a new machine that breaks down some ore I mined a long time ago into iron. I am a big fan of the mixer even if its a waste of time at LV.

I don't know what half this poo poo is used for until I look at it but I centrifuge it until I can centrifuge no more. It was also cool seeing some byproducts from other stuff I've been doing for a while finally get a use. Like ash. Now back to converting all my creo to lubricant because I don't want to gently caress with boilers and the distiller sound is calming.

Also got my EBF controller made and have the mats to build it. Just need to get power for it setup properly and build out the base a little. And I wanted to do the basic circuit assembler quest first.

I loving hovered my mouse over this image trying to figure out which dusts were which :cripes:

You're gonna love what you can do with electrolyzing some of those dusts into some other product + getting a shitload of oxygen to pump into your EBF. Welcome to Steel City.

I just finished the last part I need to make the pyrolyse oven. :toot: I've got everything built now, but it's bedtime and there's no way I'm going to try loving around with this thing right before hitting the hay.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What was the modpack that made Minecraft super difficult? I mean, sand and dirt would collapse without mining beams, etc,... thought it would be relaxing to watch someone else play the pack as I remember watching someone do it a half-decade ago and it was entertaining.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fondue posted:

What was the modpack that made Minecraft super difficult? I mean, sand and dirt would collapse without mining beams, etc,... thought it would be relaxing to watch someone else play the pack as I remember watching someone do it a half-decade ago and it was entertaining.

Terra Firma? As it happens, it actually ended up getting turned into its own game called Vintage Story.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Haystack posted:

Terra Firma? As it happens, it actually ended up getting turned into its own game called Vintage Story.

That's it, thank you so much! Playing it would be torture for me but watching someone whom seems to have memorized everything about the mod and smoothly play through it is fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
God I simply cannot play packs without Greg style ore generation now. Are there any other good modpacks like that besides gtnh and nomifactory?

I think the last modpack I played that wasn't either of those was create above and beyond, which ruled after the initial hump of scrounging. Regular kitchen sink style modpacks make my teeth hurt now though especially with 1.19 spreading everything out so much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Impermanent posted:

God I simply cannot play packs without Greg style ore generation now. Are there any other good modpacks like that besides gtnh and nomifactory?

I think the last modpack I played that wasn't either of those was create above and beyond, which ruled after the initial hump of scrounging. Regular kitchen sink style modpacks make my teeth hurt now though especially with 1.19 spreading everything out so much.

Sevtech has similar oregen, though I don't think that the veins are nearly as uniform and predictable. So does Terrafirmacraft :haw:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone play vintage story? I wrote it off when I saw their first materials posted as it looked like a boondoggle given they could have just continued to use the minecraft base, but impressively they seem to be still actively updating! it might be time to revisit....

i loved terrafirmacraft and would enjoy going back to it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you liked TFC, Vintage Story is basically just that but built upon. You probably won't go wrong. It's still receiving a lot of fairly frequent updates, with many customizable options, and supports a lot of mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Hooplah posted:

Anyone play vintage story? I wrote it off when I saw their first materials posted as it looked like a boondoggle given they could have just continued to use the minecraft base, but impressively they seem to be still actively updating! it might be time to revisit....

i loved terrafirmacraft and would enjoy going back to it

I love TFC and own vintage story but somehow it doesn’t grab me like TFC did. When I get to the prospecting phase I lose all interest because it’s just not fun the way they implemented it. Having to dig down to stone and break 3 blocks a certain distance apart in every single chunk is just tedious. Not to mention there’s no guarantee of any actual ore spawns based on the prospecting results. TFC method of just wildly smacking the ground as you run around or looking for surface ores and then zeroing in when you find something was more fun.

It runs great and the mod support is good though, so it’s probably possible to customize it to what you want if it doesn’t already meet that.

If you want a better TFC I really liked the TechnodeFirmaCraft modpack.