Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/fvyy2x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Yay i got an S+ rank on Re2make,might be my first ever S rank let alone S+.

Standard 02:12:31 3 saves

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 30, 2023

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

:eyepop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It took a smilie reaction for me to click on a video link, but :laffo:

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
looks like it's a little buggy rn but re4 remake's got an item randomizer in the works

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil42023/mods/948

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheComicFiend posted:

looks like it's a little buggy rn but re4 remake's got an item randomizer in the works

That seems like it wouldn't be as good as other REs. REM4ke is super linear, it seems like there's not a ton of opportunities to change item locations, unless they make them random drops.

Edit - this made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-31PNN7ahU

Medullah fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 1, 2023

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Haha, yeah he's so pumped about it

Yeah this one randomizes every pickup except for key items--even if you're grabbing the "shotgun" in the village, it could turn into something else once you actually interact with it.

quote:

This mod randomizes every object and treasure into other when you take them. You can obtain items, weapons, attachments, knifes, ammo and treasures. Key items are not randomized.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

When did/will someone mod Del Lago into a giant otter?
Bonus points if its "death" animation is just shaking the line loose and swimming away.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheComicFiend posted:

:sickos:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
S+ rank with Claire B Standard,time for hardcore runs,woo!

Forgot how claire stabs G5 through the eye with the pole,guess we know where Leon got his saddler finisher from.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1I1RyJ2-iM

This dude's commentary is annoying as poo poo but holy poo poo the mods are hilarious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1I1RyJ2-iM

This dude's commentary is annoying as poo poo but holy poo poo the mods are hilarious.

Lol, amazing (at least, scrolling through with the sound off). That lil Solid Snake, wiggling along :buddy:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Okay I'm slowly making my way through the game and I'm at the first merchant. I've upgraded my case and purchased the rifle. I've completed the next part and picked up the hex emblem.

I'm back at the merchant and I'm just wondering which weapons (if any) I should be upgrading? I have enough spinels to purchase the Punisher but is it as useless as it is in the original? Should I upgrade the shotgun and handgun or wait until something better comes along? Ditto the knife, should I spend my money upgrading the combat knife or will a better one become available?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You get nearly all the money back if you sell something you've upgraded so upgrade the shotgun and the pistol of your choice until you see one you might like more. I think most of the weapons are perfectly viable, the pistol choice is preference I think, they all have situational usages.

The knife is worth upgrading for sure cause there is a different one later but it's much, much later and it just goes in your inventory with the other one, can swap from one to the other when one breaks, etc.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
so there's this

https://twitter.com/grimebeard/status/1648871182387789824?t=ZoMOtu6L5DIGExKLf9mujw

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Playing through RE3 remake for the first time and getting less and less motivation to continue. Currently at the hospital defence, do I have to fight hunters after this section?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
There are hunters in the hospital after the defense section which I believe you can avoid. There are however a couple of hunters in the following lab section that you cannot avoid.

Keithium
Jan 7, 2013
jill deals with hunters much easier than carlos

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
4.17 on my run to unlock the wolf tail! Think I dilly dallied a little too much, so off I go again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

4.17 on my run to unlock the wolf tail! Think I dilly dallied a little too much, so off I go again.

Ugh that sucks. Happened to me with Hardcore because I thought I had 5:30 not 5:00. Had to go back to a much older save.

Though you can always just get your S+ Professional run going, that gives you all the S+ rewards from lower difficulty levels

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Bruceski posted:

I think it was in this thread where speedrunning RE1 was described as solving a puzzle?

Yeah that was likely me. Or at least I posted about this - not sure if anyone else did similar.

All of the RE games are fun speed running games. It's one of the most endearing and enduring things about them and they all require skill to do. But RE1/REmake is the most interesting of the bunch to speed run because of the relative complexity of the setting. RE1 isn't about getting from A to B as quickly as you can. It's about mastering the optimal route to get from A to B via C, D, E & F, knowing exactly where items X, Y and Z are and in what combination you need to collect them, knowing when the optimal time to collect weapon M is for boss fight N, knowing when to drop O in a storage box and when you need to go and grab T..

You need an intimate knowledge of everything about RE1 for a good speed run. It's the RE that most heavily relies on your knowledge of the setting and item placement, rather than being able to clock a good time through brute forcing special items and weapons. Not that that isn't fun or that later RE speed runs are without skill, but RE1 has a special relationship with speed running that I think the series has increasingly lost over time.

RE4 is one of the most fun games in the series to re-play, but the speed running focus is different. It's more about how quickly you can deal with (or outright evade) enemy encounters, and obviously there are certain tools in the game that allow you to do that much more easily.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 3, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the general opinion on the bolt thrower?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It sucks rear end but the mine attachments are Very Good and can probably bail you out single handedly in the water room

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i love using it as a mine thrower to delete encounters, actual bolts by themselves are kinda worthless.

it's silent and seems like a good stealth weapon, in a game where stealth is rarely applicable.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The inclusion of worthless stealth mechanics in the game is up there with the gacha and rat hunting quests as being possibly deliberately parodic of gaming trends since the original.

If I were in charge of REM4ke, I’d be focusing on more important things, like adding in a feature that every bear trap has a 1 in 50 chance of spawning as a rake that Leon cartoonishly steps on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Okay I'm slowly making my way through the game and I'm at the first merchant. I've upgraded my case and purchased the rifle. I've completed the next part and picked up the hex emblem.

I'm back at the merchant and I'm just wondering which weapons (if any) I should be upgrading? I have enough spinels to purchase the Punisher but is it as useless as it is in the original? Should I upgrade the shotgun and handgun or wait until something better comes along? Ditto the knife, should I spend my money upgrading the combat knife or will a better one become available?

You get most of your upgrade money back, so I'd put some into pistol and shotgun upgrades for now. I would still them and go for the Blacktail and riot gun when those become available. For the knife, there is a better one later, but it's far enough along and the combat knife is reasonable enough to upgrade that I'd go ahead and put money into it too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

thebardyspoon posted:

You get nearly all the money back if you sell something you've upgraded so upgrade the shotgun and the pistol of your choice until you see one you might like more. I think most of the weapons are perfectly viable, the pistol choice is preference I think, they all have situational usages.

The knife is worth upgrading for sure cause there is a different one later but it's much, much later and it just goes in your inventory with the other one, can swap from one to the other when one breaks, etc.

If you're going to upgrade the knife, endurance feels like the better choice since the knife as a function that lets you kill parasites early/parry poo poo is far more important than the knife actually doing damage.

I did some calcs after knife-neverupgrade-gate and I think the endurance upgrades end up refunding themselves in reduced knife repairs.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

If you're going to upgrade the knife, endurance feels like the better choice since the knife as a function that lets you kill parasites early/parry poo poo is far more important than the knife actually doing damage.

I did some calcs after knife-neverupgrade-gate and I think the endurance upgrades end up refunding themselves in reduced knife repairs.

Well sure, I didn't say upgrading the damage specifically, just generally upgrading. I definitely went for the durability upgrades first.

I assume upgrading the damage does make the stab you do to get out of stuff do more damage though right? So potentially reducing the ammo you might need to spend on the thing subsequently a bit?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

thebardyspoon posted:

Well sure, I didn't say upgrading the damage specifically, just generally upgrading. I definitely went for the durability upgrades first.

I assume upgrading the damage does make the stab you do to get out of stuff do more damage though right? So potentially reducing the ammo you might need to spend on the thing subsequently a bit?

Yeah, so your escape stab will hit harder and kill more and general slashing will also work better.

It's more that, ammo isn't that scarce in the game that conservation matters to that extent. I just think it's hard to argue for knife damage over damage on a ranged weapon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres a chart somewhere on reddit that explains which knife prompts are instakills and which ones have damage modifiers but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Theres a chart somewhere on reddit that explains which knife prompts are instakills and which ones have damage modifiers but I'm too lazy to look it up.

I read somewhere, not sure in this thread or Reddit, that knife damage upgrades don't do anything for the "cinematic" stabs, only straight knife stabs and swipes.

I know when I did my knife/pistol only run I put on Deer Antlers and used a maxed out Fighting Knife (NG+) against Krauser in the mines and it was a hilariously short fight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DeadButDelicious posted:

There are hunters in the hospital after the defense section which I believe you can avoid. There are however a couple of hunters in the following lab section that you cannot avoid.

IIRC, if you have any grenades at all, the Hunters are kind of easy in that section, provided you don't miss when you open a certain door.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Finished REmake 4. Now I’m tempted to try and finally play 5 but know I should wait a little. Also considering Revelations 2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Finished REmake 4. Now I’m tempted to try and finally play 5 but know I should wait a little. Also considering Revelations 2.

5 seems like the worst thing to play after a really good entry like that. Rev2's always a good choice though!

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Tried out the item randomizer (with cat ears equipped), but gave myself a condition that I had a 3-weapon queue and whenever I picked up a 4th I had to ditch the oldest weapon in it.

It added a layer of dread when I actually had a set of good weapons, so I'd avoid treasure pickups (bc they had a higher chance of dropping weapons)
but then a coin drop would randomize into the Punisher and I had to sell my killer7 that was *supposed* to carry me through to the end.

Fantastic mod, gotta give it a spin with only 1 weapon on the next run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so unfortunately it looks like the mysterious patch that re2r got last week broke the randomizer, and i checked the rando dev's twitter and he apparently has no intention of patching the rando for the time being. so unless you were brainpoisoned enough to backup your game folder before letting steam patch the game, like i was, you're gonna have to use the steam depot crap to get a downpatched version of the game to use the rando again. sucks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Captain Hygiene posted:

5 seems like the worst thing to play after a really good entry like that. Rev2's always a good choice though!

Also even after Rev 2 (but especially after a really great entry) I'd recommend only playing 5 coop. They didn't quite have the AI down and it can really makes the game tedious in a few places.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I really enjoyed the expanded section between killing the lake monster and picking up the church key. There were some really creepy environments and visuals that reminded me of The Fog. The corpses of the two dead hikers were really unsettling, especially in a game like this, which the horror is generally quite cheesy.

I created a pretty scary moment for myself - after clearing the caves of Ganados, there was only one left throwing dynamite. I sniped him from a distance, taking his head out in one clean shot. However he plaga burst and slowly walked out of range and disappeared into the caves, leaving me wondering where the hell he was. This was all totally silent and a really creepy visual.

Picked up the Red 9, sold my first handgun, upgraded my shotgun and decided I did in fact need to purchase the flash grenade recipe.

What a brilliant game, it really does capture the spirit of the original gameplay-wise: every room full of enemies is a strategy puzzle on figuring out the most efficient way to clear it.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
After completing the game, I feel like the aforementioned bit between Del Lago and the church is the best part of the game.
From a mechanics perspective it's at the stage where your weapons are reasonably weak still so combat is a challenge, but you at least have a full set of tools. Jetting around the lake exploring the caves and hidden areas for loot is great fun, almost like an open world game. RE4R as an open world would be fun, albeit a balancing nightmare due to ammo etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Revelations 2 was probably the best attempt at mixing "Classic RE" (Claire's episodes) with "Action RE" (Barry's episodes) and having a decent, fun story with a good sense of humor. Raid Mode's always solid for the shooty-bang-bang stuff.