Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nordic public radio companies have conducted a joint investigation into the Nord Stream explosions, and they've uncovered evidence that certainly seems to credibly point at Russian naval vessels being involved.

Journalists: JYRI HÄNNINEN, JESSE MÄNTYSALO, MAGNUS BERGLUND
Link: https://yle.fi/a/74-20029798

Yle posted:

New information about Russian ships that loitered near the Nordstream explosion site
A joint investigation by Nordic public radios has revealed, that Russian ships were spotted at least three times near the explosion sites.

Russian ships visited the Nord Stream gas pipe explosion sites at least twice in June 2022. The last visit occurred less than week before the pipes exploded in September 2022. In one of these cases the ship was anchored in place for almost a day.

Russian ships moved in the area with their AIS location beacons turned off. Four Nordic public radio companies, Denmark's DR, Norway's NRK, Sweden's SVT and Finland's Yle were able to locate the ships despite this based on their radio communications. This information was verified using satellite imagery.

According to experts these findings play a meaningful role in determining what happened before the gas pipes exploded.

- This is interesting information and paints a convincing picture of Russia's covert actions near the pipes in the lead in to the explosion, says H.I. Sutton. He is an independent naval analyst and an expert on Russian underwater warfare.

A former British Naval Intelligence officer followed Russian radio communications. Until recently he worked in tracking Russia's Baltic Fleet's activities. He is not in active service anymore.

Radio surveillance reveals that on June 6. 2022 a ship belonging to the Russian Navy sailed out from the Kaliningrad naval base to the eastern side of Bornholm, where it arrived in the morning on June 7th.

The ship spent several hours on top of the exact location where Nord Stream 1 and 2 lie at the bottom of the sea. According to information from Denmark's government, three of the four explosions in the pipe occurred at this spot.

Nording public radio companies could not determine, which ship was involved in the incient. According to former British Naval Intelligence officer, the ship is a Russian naval command ship based in Kaliningrad and used military frequencies to communicate.

The next spotting of a Russian ship was a week later, on the 14th of June. It stayed in the exact same spot until the next day. According to the British Naval Intelligence officer, this ship was in all likelihood the 86 meter long research ship Sibiryakov of the Russian Navy. It is based in Lomonosov, near St. Petersburg and it normally does not operate in this area of the Baltic Sea. According to experts, the Sibiryakov is intended for mapping the ocean floor and conducting underwater surveillance.

- It has a lift which can lower things into the water, says naval officer and researcher Jens Wenzel Kristoffersen from the University of Copenhagen.

According to him this June sighting could have been from a mission of preparatory mapping, which the Sibiryakov was conducting.

- This is a research ship and it was used to do some mapping, which was done as early as June 2022.

The Sibiryakov was also sighted by satellite

DR, NRK, SVT and Yle have together with Norwegian satellite imaging company KSAT gone through satellite imagery from these locations and times. The company specializes in finding and tracking ships which operate without tracking beacons.

Sibiryakov's June cruise has been mapped in part from high resolution satellite images, and the rest with radar imaging and medium resolution satellite imaging.

Project leader Tony Bauna from KSAT has identified nine possible sightings of the Sibiryakov, which correspond with times and locations where the ship was sighted through radio traffic.

KSAT has measured the lengths and widths of ships and been able to map their movements. They have compared these sightings with other available information, and eliminated ships which were operating with their AIS beacons on. What remains are ships which sail dark, ie. do not reveal their location information.

One of these images is from June 15 2022, when the Sibiryakov was, based on its own radio traffic, at the northern explosion site. The images show two ships which are not running their location beacons. They are within a few hundred meters and a kilometer from the explosion site, respectively.

- I found two ships which are not broadcasting an AIS signal. They do not appear to be moving, and are stationary. There is no wake, says Tony Bauna.

The other ship's identity has not been confirmed by Nordic public radios.

The third sighting was within days of the explosions

SB-123, which is part of the Russian Baltic Sea Navy, arrived at the explosion sites on the 21st of September, five days before the explosions.

- It's a ship used as a support and rescue ship in submarine operations. It has a lift which can move considerable weights and can lift things to and from the bottom of the sea. It also has the capability of launching a mini submarine, says Jens Wenzel Kristofferson.

According to radio traffic, SB-123 arrived at the Bornholm area on the evening of the 21st of September. It remained in the area until the afternoon of the 22nd. The gas leaks were detected four days later.

The ship's movements have also been documented by tracking its route during the portions where it kept its AIS beacon on, as it was leaving its base and returning to it.

In April Danish military leaders verified that on the 22nd of September Russian naval ship SS-750 was also spotted at the leak site, and it is also equipped with a miniature submarine.

Experts: not a coincidence

Experts interviewed by Nordic public radios don't believe that the ships' presence could be explained by naval exercises, for example. Russian underwater warfare expert H.I. Sutton does believe this is a mere coincidence.

- These findings are convincing evidence of Russia's connection to the Nord Stream events.

Jens Wenzel Kristofferson also considers the findings meaningful.

- If it turns out that Russia committed the sabotage, then they appear to have gathered information, mapped out the operational area accurately, and then placed explosives using Russian naval vessels.

According to H.I. Sutton, which ever faction is behind the Nord Stream attack, they benefited from the uncertainty surrounding the event.

- Many people filled in the gaps with their own theories or prejudices, and therefore it's crucial that this type of documented information gets discovered.

Several theories abound

The sabotage of the Nord Stream pipes has provoked international attention and raised several heated discussions in the UN Security Council, where Russia has repeatedly demanded an international investigation into the matter.

In public several different theories of the guilty party have been aired, as well as theories on how the attacks were conducted. In the days after the attack Russian president Vladimir Putin blamed "anglo saxons" on the attack.

Later an article by American journalist Symour Hersh gained worldwide attention. The article was based on an anonymous source and claimed that the United States in association with Nato had blown up the gas pipes under the cover of Nato's BALTOPS 22 exercise. These claims have not been backed up by any kind of believable evidence.

In March 2023 German media floated a theory about a pro-Ukraine faction. The German government has stated that clues pointing towards Ukraine could be a part of a so called "false flag" operation, intended to deceive.

The German media, T-Online, has previously mentioned the SB-123 vessel which was mentioned in this report as well. The paper had obtained information from German intelligence sources, which indicated the ship had been investigated as part of the Nord Stream sabotage.

None of the countries investigating the sabotage have presented findings or conclusions yet.

Nordic public radios contacted the Russian government through their embassy in Copenhagen for comments on their ships activities and movements in June and September 2022. They refused to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Russia couldn't be involved with nord stream blowing up. That is impossible for three reasons:

1. Russia is incapable of building subs that sont sink ot explode when used. Given micro subs have a higher propensity to do this, if russia was involved, wreckage from several exploded minisubs would be found. As it wasnt, this rules out russia.
2. Russis has substantial corruption. any officers involved would now be driving solid gold rocket cars around their new dachas from embezzling 93% of the operations budget. Given no russian officers have mysteriously had access to such riches recently, we can conclude russia was not involved.
3. Lastly, russia has serious technical debt caused by years of brain drain and accelerated officer training. It is highly likely all the good officers who are intelligent enough to carry out such a mission successfully without detection are also smart enough to leave russia forever, or at least move into the fsb where they're unlikely to get used yo manually clear minefields, leaving only buffoons and morons to carry out the nord stream attacks. Since the operation was successful, and the pipeline severed, that in turns proves russia could not have been involved.

In conclusion, Leave innocent russia alone you nato warmongers :smug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1653642154009325568
What sad news. For the occupiers, anyway.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I hope Hersh comes back with a rebuttal for some good comedy reading with ''lots of military intel told me so''' quotes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tai posted:

I hope Hersh comes back with a rebuttal for some good comedy reading with ''lots of military intel told me so''' quotes.

My sources tell me that the Russians were actually there to investigate reports of a Royal Navy ship placing explosivea on the pipeline. They tried to disarm the bomb!

No, I can't tell you who my sources are. They are very shy and live in Canada, you wouldn't know them. No I can't tell you what kind of source it is either. And of course I didn't get this information from an anonymous Facebook message. That's preposterous!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im getting creible reports Seymour Hersh is actually named Armin Tamzarian

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

quote:

This week, a policeman was sentenced to seven years in jail for having criticized the war in a private phone call. The government attorney argued that the conversation was public because it was being wire tapped.

Russia is beyond parody at this point. Just screeching insanity at all levels of society.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1653355838466146304?s=20
https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1653355946989477888?s=20

https://twitter.com/AndreaChalupa/status/1653565753835003905?s=20

quote:

In addition, among the files found in Lugovoi’s mail, there is a medical report dated 5 April 2023 which indicates the deputy's illness.

He has "C61 – Malignant neoplasm of the prostate" (T2aN0M0 stage II prostate cancer).

Doctors offered surgical intervention, but according to the report, the patient refused surgery and radiation therapy in writing.

Investigators believe that the disease is related to Litvinenko's poisoning, because even small doses of polonium-210 can cause malignant tumours.

lol

this dude started the polonium craze and now he will die by the sword

at least he got to wag his finger on the Solovyov show

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/TetySt/status/1653684323105611782?t=PRPBfy_TwOIw4miK7MLplQ&s=19

Curiously this is maybe the first real evidence that higher ups in Russia actually read Dugin because the man is obsessed with the Heartland concept in geopolitics and the new Patrushev interview namedrops that term

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Everyone itt will be sentenced to death if Putin ever finds out about our pants making GBS threads and horse cum jokes :ohdear:

What? Im deadly serious. Putin is owning the west extremely hard by making GBS threads his pants due to crippling rear end cancer. Really shows the west up, i'd like to see those decadent fools manage to pull something like this off.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also reposting this topical Fingerpori here.

Fingerpori

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I do want to know if Putin gets a bulk purchase discount on horse cum though

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On the topic of the Nord Stream thing, discussion in another thread made me think of a very historical analogue: the Shelling of Mainila. Back in 1939 the world's second biggest rear end in a top hat ever, Stalin, really wanted to invade Finland and break all kinds of international treaties, but didn't want to risk looking like a villain.

So what is a poo poo-headed dictator to do?

quote:

The Shelling of Mainila (Finnish: Mainilan laukaukset, Swedish: Skotten i Mainila), or the Mainila incident (Russian: Ма́йнильский инциде́нт, romanized: Máynil'skiy intsidént), was a military incident on 26 November 1939 in which the Soviet Union's Red Army shelled the Soviet village of Mainila (Russian: Ма́йнило, romanized: Máynilo) near Beloostrov. The Soviet Union declared that the fire originated from Finland across the nearby border and claimed to have had losses in personnel. Through that false flag operation, the Soviet Union gained a great propaganda boost and a casus belli for launching the Winter War four days later.[1][2]

Historians have now concluded that the shelling of Mainila was a fabrication carried out by the Soviet NKVD state security agency.[3]

They shelled a Soviet village, claimed they had concrete proof it was actually Finland who shelled a Soviet village, and used that as both a propaganda win at home, and to give them the excuse to invade us. Only whoops it was the NKVD all along!

But I'm sure they wouldn't do the same thing again!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

On the topic of the Nord Stream thing, discussion in another thread made me think of a very historical analogue: the Shelling of Mainila. Back in 1939 the world's second biggest rear end in a top hat ever, Stalin, really wanted to invade Finland and break all kinds of international treaties, but didn't want to risk looking like a villain.

They shelled a Soviet village, claimed they had concrete proof it was actually Finland who shelled a Soviet village, and used that as both a propaganda win at home, and to give them the excuse to invade us. Only whoops it was the NKVD all along!

My brain read that as The Shelling of MANILLA and had a few moments of confusion till i reread it, the Soviets shelling their own people is the least confusing bit. :ughh:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just Another Lurker posted:

My brain read that as The Shelling of MANILLA and had a few moments of confusion till i reread it, the Soviets shelling their own people is the least confusing bit. :ughh:

The Shelling of Manilla sounds like a Kamchatka operation.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

An angry ghost posted:

He has "C61 – Malignant neoplasm of the prostate" (T2aN0M0 stage II prostate cancer).

Doctors offered surgical intervention, but according to the report, the patient refused surgery and radiation therapy in writing.

Investigators believe that the disease is related to Litvinenko's poisoning, because even small doses of polonium-210 can cause malignant tumours.

Holy poo poo, from beyond the grave!

It's hard to state how big a wake up call the assassination was in the UK with The Picture of a man dying of radiation poisoning recurring across the front to middle pages for weeks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wont lie, I was struggling to figure out how I couldn't remember the Soviets getting into some insane naval excursion

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Finns also called it out immediately since they had border guards that heard the guns from the Soviet side of the border. And the shells landed in an empty field, nobody was injured or killed.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

So Zelensky made a surprise visit to Finland and is meeting with president Niinistö right now. He is also going to meet with all the nordic prime ministers during his visit.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Nazis did similar things in preparation for the attack on Poland. The most famous one is probably the incident where German intelligence services staged an attack on a German radio sender while cosplaying as Polish forces.

There were so many reports of similar staged attacks in Donbas very shortly before the invasion. Just of the top of my head: there was that one cringe "bombing" of some Donbas warlord's car by Ukrainian forces. Strangely the warlord decided to take a rusted out junk military jeep that didn't look road worthy to work that day, instead of his kitted out luxury SUV he usually takes. So, lucky, the poor SUV was unharmed and the material damage was only in the single digit ruble territory. Or that event where one of the supposed victims of Ukrainian artillery fire was very clearly a medical cadaver. (Gotta hand it to them on that one. At least they didn't just grab some random guy from the street and shot them for that, like the Nazis did)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bad_fmr posted:

So Zelensky made a surprise visit to Finland and is meeting with president Niinistö right now. He is also going to meet with all the nordic prime ministers during his visit.

Yle are doing live coverage.

Yle posted:

Zelenskyy: our shared battle ensures the enemy will never reach Helsinki

Our shared battle ensures the enemy will never reach Helsinki, says Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy in his opening remarks. He also recalled Finland's battles during the Winter War, and thanked Finland for the aid it has given to Ukraine.

Zelenskyy also thanked Finland for the work it has done on Ukraine's behalf in international arenas.

- Finland was one of the first to answer Ukraine's request for aid, Zelenskyy said. According to him Finland helped restore electricity to affected areas after Russian bombings.

The presidents will be discussing among other things the countries relations as well as military aid.

The press conference is currently live on Yle.fi: https://yle.fi/a/74-20029953

E: and apparently you can watch a VOD from that same link after the conference ends.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 3, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1653726508739952641?t=R9FWzLBUPEmcZeOf_VbB1A&s=19

Hopefully pants were full

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
habemus Pootin

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What air defense doing!?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fatherboxx posted:

Hopefully pants were full

They were, but it had little to do with the drones.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

What air defense doing!?

Everything but its actual job, it seems.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/reshetz/status/1653732117442863107

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1653677553230442496

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Russia's ad hoc technology has an incredibly strong "prison make-do" energy, and it's incredible at the cost and effort level, but that's like giving an A for effort when you're only grading based on results.

sebmojo posted:

Fyi I've asked Jeff to start word filtering this to "in legally actionable fact" so this trick might not work much longer

Legally Actionable Fact for Future Observation :laffo:

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
We JUST had the false flag discussion. It's almost mechanical, like clockwork

E: on the lovely UAV, ukraine has been using ones made out of cardboard. So I chalk that russian example up as par for the course in this war.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bad_fmr posted:

NATO lap dog Zelenskyy refuses to end war because he’s making too much money for the US arms market rather than going to the front lines and fighting the Russian army 1v150,000. Shameful, perfidious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BrassRoots posted:

We JUST had the false flag discussion. It's almost mechanical, like clockwork

E: on the lovely UAV, ukraine has been using ones made out of cardboard. So I chalk that russian example up as par for the course in this war.

Russia used a paper airplane

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/948643125969186927/1103294335564382238/twitter_20230503_151736.mp4

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Did that even hit anything? Looks like it just exploded next to the flagpole

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Did that even hit anything? Looks like it just exploded next to the flagpole

My source (nrk.no) says the Russians claim they shot the drones down.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Russia saying it was an assassination attempt and that they will respond in kind

So probably a false flag

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Didn’t even take out the flag. FSB must have used the Diablos from the cinco de mayo stand near the border

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's still a strong statement - it's hard to pretend you're a super power barely lifting a finger to crush a rebellion out in the provinces when there are drones exploding over the government headquarters.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

free hubcaps posted:

Russia saying it was an assassination attempt and that they will respond in kind

So probably a false flag

Or that. But in this case I think there has been interest in Ukraine in flying drones to Moscow, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

free hubcaps posted:

So probably a false flag

What makes these bunglers think repeating the things they failed at doing already in the beginning of the war will work any better now?