Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Feels like the game slowed to a crawl in not-China. I enjoyed the missions in the space station and snow planet, but between the map layouts where it is a bunch of narrow corridors and the missions so far trending toward talking to 6 people to solve a traffic accident I am falling asleep in my chair.

Also, who is the worst character in the game and why is it Arlan. I cannot figure out what his role is that Serval cannot do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Apparently for the wish tracking site(s) you can actually just do the exact same thing you can in Genshin and manually snag the pull history link from data_2 in the game's Cache_Data folder. It should be the last link in the file starting with "https://webstatic-sea.hoyoverse.com/hkrpg/event/e20211215gacha-v2/index.html".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Finished the current content, then went ahead and uninstalled. The gacha in this one just feels awful, between the relatively low rates and the high proportion of characters to Light Cones. I looked at my three pulls, thought about slowly getting up to 12 to 27 more pulls to get Seele, and then just couldn't imagine doing this over and over on future banners without all of the easy starting crystals. It just overwhelms everything about the game that I actually like.

Hope y'all sticking around have fun, but I'm done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just got Yanqing from the basic gacha. Anything to note about the guy other than putting him on an end to take less splash dispelling Soulsteel Sync?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, who is the worst character in the game and why is it Arlan. I cannot figure out what his role is that Serval cannot do better.

Arlan is a late-game DPS that has the unique situation of not using Skill points to maximize damage. He doesn't feel good because no one has good enough relics and/or combo buffers to take advantage.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Bruceski posted:

Just got Yanqing from the basic gacha. Anything to note about the guy other than putting him on an end to take less splash dispelling Soulsteel Sync?

Nah that's pretty much it. Keep that buff up as much as possible, so he wants to be spamming his skill since the buff only lasts 1 turn. You also really want it up before you blow his ultimate since it gives him more crit boosts.

Also since Soulsteel Sync goes away when you take damage specifically, shields work well to keep Yanqing going as well.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 3, 2023

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's crazy that the game has been out for less than a week and people have already blown through all the available storyline content. I just landed on chinaship and talked to a hologram, at TL33, and I've been playing since day1 albeit not burning many fuels.

I am trying to keep a mindset of "it's a neat little turn-based RPG but instead of unlocking new characters by progressing, I'll occasionally just get one randomly" with a plan to play slowly over the long term and save up for upcoming characters i know I'll want, like silver wolf and kafka.

If you approach this or any other gacha with a "gotta collect all the characters" mindset (which they push you toward, naturally) you're gonna pay out the rear end or be miserable. SR feels, so far, more "fair" than Geshin, in that your freebie roster is actually really good (while GI's is just okay), so there's less of an implied need to pull better characters instead of just the ones you think look or play cool.

Bruceski posted:

He really likes having bronya or another speed/turn manipulator around to maximize his number of skill uses per round.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

sushibandit posted:

If you approach this or any other gacha with a "gotta collect all the characters" mindset (which they push you toward, naturally) you're gonna pay out the rear end or be miserable. SR feels, so far, more "fair" than Geshin, in that your freebie roster is actually really good (while GI's is just okay), so there's less of an implied need to pull better characters instead of just the ones you think look or play cool.

The MC not being poo poo helps Star Rail so much

in personality, dialog, and combat

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, doubt they're gonna double up with Dan Heng

Good point. Put my vote on Imaginary then.

Also I didn't realise that Bailu's VA is a fellow Malaysian, that's cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

sushibandit posted:

I mean, XQ and Bennet are buyable from the shop and Xiangling is free (Alongside DMC is immediately gettable.) Relative to the scale of Genshin, people can absolutely curbstomb genshin without getting what you want 5 star wise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Doesn't the Genshin shop rotate every month? You could go like half a year without seeing them iirc. In that sense it's actually faster to get a targeted 5* from a banner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The main issue with Genshin is that if you wanna do abyss with the freebie characters you'd kind of stuck with international on one side of abyss and then having to put up with the jank-rear end lisa/collei/dendro mc/barbara hyperbloom team on the other side.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ibblebibble posted:

Wind feels the most thematic to the Hunt which is why they're probably going to blindside us with Imaginary or something.

I kind of want Imaginary and Quantum to be the final two power sets given their importance in Honkai and that they are the base makeup of the universe, but a big part of that is my unreasonable desire that Stelle is Sirin and when she finally gets imaginary power her hair will turn purple.

Clarste posted:

Doesn't the Genshin shop rotate every month? You could go like half a year without seeing them iirc. In that sense it's actually faster to get a targeted 5* from a banner.

Another nice thing in Star Rail is that the free characters aren't slaves to the standard banner, you will roll March and Dan cons while going for limited chars. Hell they may even be rate ups.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
What constitutes a "follow-up attack" for skill or blessing descriptions?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Revitalized posted:

Clara and March's counter attacks, Herta's kuru-kuru and Himeko's deal. It's basically any attack that occurs automatically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Basically, anything where a character does an animation without you inputting a command.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sushibandit posted:

It's crazy that the game has been out for less than a week and people have already blown through all the available storyline content. I just landed on chinaship and talked to a hologram, at TL33, and I've been playing since day1 albeit not burning many fuels.

It ends at TL34 (though you get a few dungeons at that TL, not immediately), if you landed at 33 you'll probably be past that when you get there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah (final story section spoilers) did anyone ask Kafka about how the Trailblazer Aeon died? I asked about something else assuming we'd talk about everything eventually, but apparently not and there's no way to replay cutscenes afaik. I assume it wasn't incredibly important, but I don't like the idea of missing information forever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sushibandit posted:

It's permanent but based on the wording you only get to pick one ever once you hit 300 - you don't get to pick another at 600 total then a third at 900 total, etc. One and done.

Yeah, and it'll be a *really* long time to hit 300 on the standard banner. Probably like a year+.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and it'll be a *really* long time to hit 300 on the standard banner. Probably like a year+.

I'm already at 90 but that's admittedly with the giant pile of starter juice they give you. But we'll probably get events that give us pulls so I doubt it'll be that long. Probably not exactly gonna be soon either though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Probably closer to 6 months if you keep on top of things. This game seems slightly more generous with standard pulls than Genshin.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

People were talking about Trailblazer's future weapons earlier and I gotta say they kinda blew their load from the start by making the base physical set come with a cosmic baseball bat. You don't really top that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Fishing rod?

For anyone looking for something to brighten their day, the japanese name for hook's "diggertron" is HOLE MASTER.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Clarste posted:

Oh yeah (final story section spoilers) did anyone ask Kafka about how the Trailblazer Aeon died? I asked about something else assuming we'd talk about everything eventually, but apparently not and there's no way to replay cutscenes afaik. I assume it wasn't incredibly important, but I don't like the idea of missing information forever.

I did, she basically just says that she doesn't know.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Here's a table showing how much jade you can get from the two main repeatable sources by the time the next few banners are expected to release, starting specifically from today.

This is of pretty limited use without a good estimate of how much you're likely to get from chests and quests and all the other one-time sources, unfortunately.

Also: I've intentionally excluded the 300 Oneiric Shards you get when you first buy each Supply Pass. I assume most people will only use them as a last resort, because Genshin eventually added alternate outfits that you can only buy with those. (And if you include them, the calculation becomes much simpler, because then the Daily Training and Supply Pass together give you exactly enough jade for one roll every day. Almost like they designed it that way!)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

It's mentioned in the main plot. As a culture, they did actually achieve immortality with a gift from the Abundance, but apparently felt that it was a curse for some reason and have now sworn to hunt down and kill the Abundance (and therefore aligned themselves with the Hunt). So it's not some abstract "seeking immortality is bad" and rather a more concrete "we got immortality and it sucked; now we want to murder the very concept of it."

From my understanding of the scene, Jing Yuan says it was a curse simply because they discovered that an entire society of immortals simply doesn't work; your population grows exponentially and power structures stagnate, leading to basically inevitable upheaval and civil war. Plus I imagine it's a pretty big problem to be known as "hey, this is where immortality comes from" because it will make you a potential target for every unscrupulous rear end in a top hat in the universe.

Hell, the entire conflict on Space China in Star Rail is based around unscrupulous assholes who want the magic immortality tree back.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Has anyone had the next step of Rarely Affectionate pop up yet? I did the first a couple days ago but haven’t seen hide nor hair of it since.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I got it shortly after reaching a new Trailblazer level so I assume it's unlocked by that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Clarste posted:

I got it shortly after reaching a new Trailblazer level so I assume it's unlocked by that.

Sure enough, I hit the next TL after logging in for dailies and it popped. Just had to be patient. :v:

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JruxFQurUDQ

New trailer dropped a few hours ago in the dead of night for EST people as is usual for Mihoyo stuff. Some of the Aeon's definitely have some unique designs. Real cosmic entity energy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone know where Pela hangs out when not involved in a quest, after ice planet is done?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I like that Nous the Erudition is a cosmic-scale supercomputer that not only gained self-awareness, but ascended to godhood in the process.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JruxFQurUDQ

New trailer dropped a few hours ago in the dead of night for EST people as is usual for Mihoyo stuff. Some of the Aeon's definitely have some unique designs. Real cosmic entity energy

I wonder if any of the other ones will get added later as new classes or new roguelike paths or something.

Edit: It's also interesting that some of them are mentioned that are explicitly dead (The Propagation, killed by The Hunt) or missing (The Beauty, got bored of the universe and left), while leaving out others brought up in the story who are also gone (The Order, absorbed by The Harmony; and The Permanence who also disappeared mysteriously).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 3, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Anyone know where Pela hangs out when not involved in a quest, after ice planet is done?

She's in the Qlipoth Fort Bronya's office, looking at a bookshelf

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hit EL3 and now this is where the true grind sets in, which I expected though. Purple EXP drops now from the exp node but only 1 per run so it's still a pain to get characters up, and the credit node is only 20k a pop.

At least this gives me something to do/plan out while we wait for content.

e: also unlocked relic crafting, and you get 1 stat customizable item a BP it seems to ensure a non trash piece so that's cool. But it seems like it's only mainstat customization which is..less ideal lol.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 3, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there a keyboard hotkey for turning on auto-battle?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Is there a keyboard hotkey for turning on auto-battle?

V, by default. It's rebindable like most other things, but for whatever reason you can only rebind the combat hotkeys if you open the menu while you're already in combat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Thank you.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

FractalSandwich posted:

Here's a table showing how much jade you can get from the two main repeatable sources by the time the next few banners are expected to release, starting specifically from today.

(snip)

This is of pretty limited use without a good estimate of how much you're likely to get from chests and quests and all the other one-time sources, unfortunately.

Also: I've intentionally excluded the 300 Oneiric Shards you get when you first buy each Supply Pass. I assume most people will only use them as a last resort, because Genshin eventually added alternate outfits that you can only buy with those. (And if you include them, the calculation becomes much simpler, because then the Daily Training and Supply Pass together give you exactly enough jade for one roll every day. Almost like they designed it that way!)

If they keep to the same general pattern of jade giveaways that they do for primogems in Genshin (this will include thinks like rewards from new chests, from new quests, from patch events, and so on) you can assume these amounts will be roughly doubled in the final total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I do hope they overhaul how quests trigger someday; having quests seemingly only pop when you level means I'm missing a lot of quests.