Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh you're right, I don't know where I got rashomon from.

“That’s not how I remember it!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The flash forward really pulls me back to the season 5 Breaking Bad flash forwards. Those were ominous as gently caress (and paid off, I gotta say), but this has an air of.... I don't know, creepiness, all stemming from who Barry is and how many other things must've gone on to get that far (8 years?) out. And we have how many episodes of the this season? 8? And we've only just seen the first half?

:psyduck:

I cannot wait for the rest of this show. Holy gently caress.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if she’s alive to write it sally has all the raw material for a bestseller tell-all that’s adapted into a wildly successful major motion picture (in which she tries to play herself throughout a la paul t goldman)

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

All the other gangs being so genuinely into the sand business was adorable but also made everything all the sadder :smith:

I laughed when they have the big reveal of the drugs and gambling bar in their store house and one guy shouts "oh yes! karaoke!"

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I went back and watched the trailer and all the clips are from events that happened in episodes 1-4. Whatever's in the second half of the season is something we haven't seen yet (besides that tiny "next week" teaser of the people near the tractor). I'm pretty sure it's going to all be post time-jump from now on.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 3, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dave Angel posted:

“That’s not how I remember it!”

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm not particularly thrilled about the time jump. Hope they pull it off

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

escape artist posted:

I'm not particularly thrilled about the time jump. Hope they pull it off

Same.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I'm of two minds on it, on the one hand I've always suspected this show is gonna end with every character getting some kinda hideous monkey's paw version of their stated goals and the final scene of the episode seems to point to that. On the other hand it absolutely felt like it came out of nowhere

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don’t disagree but I think that was kinda the point, I stood up and went to turn off my TV at the “really?!” Because I feel like I’ve been conditioned to expect Barry episodes to end that way

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
idk maybe bill hader is trolololing us

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Could be. Could be chargin his lazer so to speak

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just noticed Hank looks up towards the roof at someone when he’s walking away from Cristobal. The little moments in this show, I tell ya.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
My off the cuff prediction is they stick with the time jump up until the last 10 minutes of the last episode where we get pulled back and something different happens

Mainly the way Moss was hanging out right in front of Barry's house, how did they get away? Barry is a skilled killer but without Fuches or Witness Protection I don't think he has the logistical wherewithal to set up an alternate identity

but who knows, let's check in next week gang

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no posts until sunday

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm fine with a plethora of flashbacks to show us how we got here. But I don't want a Breaking Bad season 5 where we don't get to the future until the very end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean this is the last season so

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

if you listen closely Barry clearly replies "acquit" when Sally says "let's go," meaning he knows something that will lead to his acquittal and allow them to live out the timeskip days with a legally clean slate

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, actually. I hadn't thought abut that, but that must have been kinda hard to film without actually crushing the actor. Then again, maybe they simply filmed his final scene first. That's probably the simplest explanation.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/barry-cristobal-michael-irby-death-sand-1235596871/

According to this article, the "sand" was actually ground corn husk, which is much lighter than real sand.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

if you listen closely Barry clearly replies "acquit" when Sally says "let's go," meaning he knows something that will lead to his acquittal and allow them to live out the timeskip days with a legally clean slate

Oh, I missed that! It fits though, because the vibe I got from that house setup was "witness protection", and they had been talking about it earlier in the last episode.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised the sand was a practical effect. It's one of those things which is going to look like CGI even when it's real so I dunno if it was worth it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oh jay posted:

I'm fine with a plethora of flashbacks to show us how we got here. But I don't want a Breaking Bad season 5 where we don't get to the future until the very end.

Breaking Bad did it just fine, since the whole point of the season was how he got to that point. Plus, within 24 hours of Walt buying the M60, he's dead, anyway.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Sivart13 posted:

My off the cuff prediction is they stick with the time jump up until the last 10 minutes of the last episode where we get pulled back and something different happens

Mainly the way Moss was hanging out right in front of Barry's house, how did they get away? Barry is a skilled killer but without Fuches or Witness Protection I don't think he has the logistical wherewithal to set up an alternate identity

but who knows, let's check in next week gang

sally is gonna get him killed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Barry you know too much"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That DICK! posted:

I don’t disagree but I think that was kinda the point, I stood up and went to turn off my TV at the “really?!” Because I feel like I’ve been conditioned to expect Barry episodes to end that way

I was literally screaming during the sand pit scene. No other show like it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Oh, I missed that! It fits though, because the vibe I got from that house setup was "witness protection", and they had been talking about it earlier in the last episode.

It'd a stupid in joke from the Breaking Bad threads

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Shageletic posted:

It'd a stupid in joke from the Breaking Bad threads

From The Office thread, right? Michael says “I quit” and some goon thinks he said “I aquit”.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
This is the moment Barry truly became Heisenblock

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Von Pluring posted:

From The Office thread, right? Michael says “I quit” and some goon thinks he said “I aquit”.

Yeah. That thread had some pretty angry derails. There was another one about snow on the tires of parked cars.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cross posting between this and the Succession, thread but since it and this show are ending one right after the other, May 28th is going to be one hell of a night for HBO subscribers.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

This is just a silly little nitpick rather than a serious complaint but in the episode where Barry's going to Sam's hotel to kill him, he opens the world's loudest door right behind Sally without her even flinching.

I didn't notice the first time because it's a very tense scene but now it's kinda funny

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Cross posting between this and the Succession, thread but since it and this show are ending one right after the other, May 28th is going to be one hell of a night for HBO subscribers.

I predict that, like every other week, I'll start succession, get bored, and then wait until 9 for Barry to show up.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

This is just a silly little nitpick rather than a serious complaint but in the episode where Barry's going to Sam's hotel to kill him, he opens the world's loudest door right behind Sally without her even flinching.

I didn't notice the first time because it's a very tense scene but now it's kinda funny

Doesn't Sally open that door as she's turning to leave?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

Lol you're right

Why do we remember these things

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you're probably confusing it with mike's voice.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

a lovely king posted:

Doesn't Sally open that door as she's turning to leave?

Ohh, she does open the door at the start of that bit. She just doesn't look at it when she does, and somehow I didnt notice Barry pulled his gun out with both hands. I'm dumb.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Almost definitely

(Anyone remember that one? Clearly showing my age)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Another great episode. The Dave and Buster's raid was amazing, as was Barry's final line. The scene with Cristobal in the sand was super tense and hard to watch, but so well done.

It literally never occurred to me that the ending was anything but a dream sequence, so if it is an actual time jump I will be super impressed with the balls that it takes to pull off such an insane story point.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cojawfee posted:

I was terrified about the sand when they walked into it, because I've seen enough things about grain silo collapses. But I guess it was actually fine to walk on until Hank started draining sand.

Thanks to goons and youtube videos I immediately assumed it was going to blow everyone up due to an accident, but maybe I'm thinking of silo's with grain / flour in them that get explodey on their own?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"We found no heat on these guys. Just a bunch of Chargers fans. And one guy wearing a Houston Oilers hat which is confusing."

I know poo poo all about sports but this line got me. I can just picture Bill Hader laughing his rear end off at this.

same lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Thanks to goons and youtube videos I immediately assumed it was going to blow everyone up due to an accident, but maybe I'm thinking of silo's with grain / flour in them that get explodey on their own?

Very fine particles that are also flammable are what can explode. if it was full of flour or saw dust, and someone lit a match, it could explode.